Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SIMSVIP about the forum! VERY INTERESTING.

Comments

• Options
    amandajoy27amandajoy27 Posts: 167 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    GrandJury wrote: »
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    This is a public forum though. Virtually anyone out there can read people's posts, whether SimsVIP posts them or not. It's not exactly like they are releasing anyone's personal information or an intimate private conversation of said user. If anyone isn't happy to have their username associated with a publicly available statement they made, they probably shouldn't have said this in public in the first place.

!!! YES.

I can't believe this is a hard concept for people to grasp..

Also, did any of her friends defending her even bother to read what SimsVIP even said???

What do you expect? People get offended by a "disagree" button around here, so....

YES!!! We can't have a disagree or lol button because of how "sensitive" some of the members are

I'm offended by all the (Flag,Quote,Insightful,Like,Awesome) buttons so maybe they should get rid of them too!!Haha!! :smiley:

I am sorry to offend you but I gave you and awesome ;)

lol :smile:

8yz411.jpg

Add me on Origin ID: Amanda3024
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited September 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    I know this won't matter but still I'll say it.

I despise SimsVIP site. From the moment I saw it the first time till today and I'll never change my mind. It's a mish mash of everything that outputs nothing and there are better fan sites out there (Carl's for example).

But in this case, I'm 100% with SimsVIP.
    This is internet. No censorship!

EA has every right to use "plum" censor on it's sites they pay for like this forum, but should learn to stay out of others' kitchen especially when that's their own fans' site they don't fund.
    This censorship, does that only concern covering a simmer's nickname or does it concern more than that?

I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question or not, but the forum post that was screen-shot and posted on VIP has been deleted/temporarily removed for review (depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist), and the request was to focus on the forum announcement that she made instead. Rather than to ask VIP to remove her user name, she was being asked to delete that article and write about another thread instead.

In that light, I can see it as attempting to manipulate what was being reported. That doesn't mean that I'm defending VIP because I don't think they handled the whole incident well at all; they come across as being angry because they weren't invited to the Sims Camp,

All I gotta say about that is, "join the crowd! I've *never* been invited to a Sims Camp!" ;)
    Thank you :) So it was more than just removing the name. But you see, my husband is a journalist and he gets this kind of requests all the time. And sometimes he agrees to it (if he thinks it's plausible) and sometimes - most of the time - he doesn't. Never did he make a public circus out of it, why would he. I don't understand why she couldn't just say no privately, via e-mail (and stop being an influencer if she ever was one but an influencer can never be a journalist and a journalist can never be an influencer) and respectfully blur the name of NZsimm3r. This was nothing more than a friendly request. "Censorship" has the smell of blackmail to it and I don't see that here.

Oh you'll get no disagreement from me on that. Like I said, it comes across like she's angry for not getting an invitation to Sims Camp. Which I believe she is angry about it, and purposely tried to stir up controversy over it. Besides, she should have just honored the wishes of the user who asked that her named be removed.

But even so, I'm just not going to rush in and defend anyone in this incident because I don't think any of the parties are totally innocent (other than the quoted user). But that's just me. :)
    Post edited by HappySimmer3 on
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2016
    shadowicia wrote: »

Thank you :) So it was more than just removing the name. But you see, my husband is a journalist and he gets this kind of requests all the time. And sometimes he agrees to it (if he thinks it's plausible) and sometimes - most of the time - he doesn't. Never did he make a public circus out of it, why would he.

Simple, she wanted people to take her side.
    Who doesn't. What I forgot to mention by the way, when my husband gets approached to alter a story a bit or leave things out, it's in a much less polite way than here and quite often there is an atmosphere of blackmail involved. If you don't leave that one bit out I'll refuse permission to use this interview. So in the worst case scenario that's what he does. What we see here is a polite letter (reaching out to you) with a polite request, a suggestion rather.

Now that I'm starting to know a little bit more about this case, I'm beginning to understand what people like @HappySimmer3 mean. SimZip (sorry, lol) was used to being treated like a queen by EA, having all kind of privileges and therefore running a highly positive Sims 4 site. I don't know the site myself so please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, it is (or probably was) a site where everybody who is negative about Sims 4 gets banned. If this is true (and if it isn't what follows doesn't apply and I'll strike it out later), that means SimsVIP has been censoring her own site heavily in the past, even more so than this site. And I can't help but feeling the only reason for this action, is a "what EA, you're lifting our little agreement here, well, I'll show you what the result will be, it will turn me into a professional, objective journalist from now on, honeymoon is over and I'll make sure you'll know it" attitude. The truth is, that the only reason she's so upset, is because she has been very open to a 'blackmail' kind of relationship in the past (happily excepting privileges, running a 100% pro EA/Sims 4 site). The very worst thing here, is that she hasn't attacked EA here, but a person, namely SimGuruDrake. And that in my opinion is completely and utterly uncalled for and undeserved in every thinkable way. All SGD has been doing is write a polite letter with the request to remove a name and the suggestion to alter the article (I've read it by now). The only reason this feels like blackmail to her, is because she has been sensitive for that in the past. But the agreement apparently had stopped long before this e-mail.

(rereading this before publishing it occurs to me you meant SimsVIP when you said 'she'; my post is founded on you meaning SGD so if I misinterpreted that, me quoting you can be ignored ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @JoAnne65 good points :smile:

Oh we are calling it SimsRIP now but we can also use SimsZIP as well ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member

Thank you :) So it was more than just removing the name. But you see, my husband is a journalist and he gets this kind of requests all the time. And sometimes he agrees to it (if he thinks it's plausible) and sometimes - most of the time - he doesn't. Never did he make a public circus out of it, why would he.

Nice summary.

• Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    LMBO! This is all funny to me. Sorry folks but I can't take this as serious. Nope, just can't.

So, is this the end of the special group called Yibsims? Hmm.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    blewis823 wrote: »
    LMBO! This is all funny to me. Sorry folks but I can't take this as serious. Nope, just can't.

Well it could spell the end for SimsVIP or SimsRIP as someone has coined ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member

They came to an end after we all laughed at the word Yibsims. I don't think any of them liked being laughed at so they were given a more grownup descriptive term of Influencers. I wouldn't rule out this being the end of the Influencer program in this game.
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    Respect on the forums/life is pretty much a thing of the past with today's generation. The internet and it's anonymity have made people much more brazen. People are bound to say things that and act like they would never do if it had to be done in person. This same attitude spills over into gaming sites as well. The "ME" generation doesn't help things either since they have a problem putting others before themselves. No, not everyone is like that, but more and more it's getting that way.

Just like life outside this game/forums a lot of us want change, but how many of us are willing to change ourselves to help get that change? The number suddenly gets much smaller then. Unless we change, nothing else is going to change. You don't like a game and keep buying it anyway, how is that helping to change anything? You love something the way it is, but jump at the chance to belittle someone that doesn't, how does that help anything?

Don't expect others to change unless your willing to change.
  • Options
    ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    ZhakiraP wrote: »
    So, because simplumsite claims every fan site was kicked out, EA should provide proof it isn´t so?

I feel very disoriented.

Usually the one who claims something provides the proof.

it would be easier for EA to prove that it isn't so, than for a fansite to check their claims. In order for one to prove that EVERYONE got kicked out, they have to know every fan site that exists. In order for EA to prove that they did not kick everyone out all they have to do is say "we invited this, this and this fansite".

So, you are saying, every time someone makes a claim, you expect EA to give you proof of their innocense?

I wouldn´t hold my breath.

Why would they even need say who (as you put it) kicked out!!! That would be going against their own privacy rules. Furthermore not getting an invite to something has never meant they were kicked out. I strongly suggest you a non biased research on the matter. Google is great tool!!! I did mine and what I have found is that a great of the sites who people say are "kicked out" did get invited to a different event. Just because it wasn't to the event they wanted don't men they have been kicked out of the loop as to what is trying to portrayed here.

I agree with you.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

Who doesn't. What I forgot to mention by the way, when my husband gets approached to alter a story a bit or leave things out, it's in a much less polite way than here and quite often there is an atmosphere of blackmail involved. If you don't leave that one bit out I'll refuse permission to use this interview. So in the worst case scenario that's what he does. What we see here is a polite letter (reaching out to you) with a polite request, a suggestion rather.

Now that I'm starting to know a little bit more about this case, I'm beginning to understand what people like @HappySimmer3 mean. SimZip (sorry, lol) was used to being treated like a queen by EA, having all kind of privileges and therefore running a highly positive Sims 4 site. I don't know the site myself so please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, it is (or probably was) a site where everybody who is negative about Sims 4 gets banned. If this is true (and if it isn't what follows doesn't apply and I'll strike it out later), that means SimsVIP has been censoring her own site heavily in the past, even more so than this site. And I can't help but feeling the only reason for this action, is a "what EA, you're lifting our little agreement here, well, I'll show you what the result will be, it will turn me into a professional, objective journalist from now on, honeymoon is over and I'll make sure you'll know it" attitude. The truth is, that the only reason she's so upset, is because she has been very open to a 'blackmail' kind of relationship in the past (happily excepting privileges, running a 100% pro EA/Sims 4 site). The very worst thing here, is that she hasn't attacked EA here, but a person, namely SimGuruDrake. And that in my opinion is completely and utterly uncalled for and undeserved in every thinkable way. All SGD has been doing is write a polite letter with the request to remove a name and the suggestion to alter the article (I've read it by now). The only reason this feels like blackmail to her, is because she has been sensitive for that in the past. But the agreement apparently had stopped long before this e-mail.

(rereading this before publishing it occurs to me you meant SimsVIP when you said 'she'; my post is founded on you meaning SGD so if I misinterpreted that, me quoting you can be ignored ;))

I don't have any proof on the matter as to I have never been and never will be a member of that site, but when it started it sure did seem like it was group of people who have been banned from the main site over the years. That is just my opinion though.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    simplysims25simplysims25 Posts: 243 Member
    Lady Sugar wrote: »
    With all due respect. I've seen a lot of people getting banned for nothing. We cannot express ourselves without being scared of getting banned.

I did bring up the subject of banning & closing threads to Sim Guru Drake on twitter a while back & was told I was wrong & 'that's not how it works'

I'm still laughing.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I know this is not directed to me but yes, you are pretty accurate. 100% positivity on her site, no negativity allowed, and she often deleted posts or outright banned people from her site when they were too negative.

One thing you neglected to mention, though, is that SGD, as a Community Engagement Manager, has authority over who gets invited to these events. It was her decision to not invite the fan sites. We don't know why; it may be she was upset over the leaks but I'm guessing it's just partiality toward YouTube as a means of influencing the fans (especially considering that I did see one of the YT's discussing the leaks).

It's possible that VIP believes that if SGD is replaced then she will receive invites again. JMO, YMMV.

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2016

I know this is not directed to me but yes, you are pretty accurate. 100% positivity on her site, no negativity allowed, and she often deleted posts or outright banned people from her site when they were too negative.

One thing you neglected to mention, though, is that SGD, as a Community Engagement Manager, has authority over who gets invited to these events. It was her decision to not invite the fan sites. We don't know why; it may be she was upset over the leaks but I'm guessing it's just partiality toward YouTube as a means of influencing the fans (especially considering that I did see one of the YT's discussing the leaks).

It's possible that VIP believes that if SGD is replaced then she will receive invites again. JMO, YMMV.

Well that seems like a lot of, as SimsRIP described on their blog towards EA, "hypocrisy, bias, unethical, disrespectful, despicable, and unprofessional" behavior. :neutral:

Anywho, I personally think both made poor decisions one way or another. There are plenty of other fansites though. It is a shame that the ones that didn't even mention the leak out of respect for EA are still "blacklisted" from exclusive events.
  • Options
    Do we know if this is a permanent change? I do think there is a bias at work toward YouTube as a means of being the most effective Influencers (no idea why they came to that conclusion but maybe they have data showing their target audience gets most of their info that way?), but as far as I know we've not been given the whole story. Not that we ever will get the whole story, I'm just pointing out that there are some assumptions being made all around that we really don't know.

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited September 2016
    Do we know if this is a permanent change? I do think there is a bias at work toward YouTube as a means of being the most effective Influencers (no idea why they came to that conclusion but maybe they have data showing their target audience gets most of their info that way?), but as far as I know we've not been given the whole story. Not that we ever will get the whole story, I'm just pointing out that there are some assumptions being made all around that we really don't know.

Well, I was considering that it was a temporary thing, as @SimGuruDrake said she was considering making an actual influencer program of her own, which would be composed of fans of the game to influence content as it's being developed. The only thing is the fact that these sites were blacklisted right after the leaks, so it seems to me that it's rather an effort of EA to gain tighter control over what is released.

I mean, either way, this is just my two cents, I would rather that new program be people who don't have any kind of blog, YouTube channel, etc. where they seek monetization. I think the program should be "Average Joes"/"Plain Janes" who have shown dedication to the series in other ways, and it should be a 100% volunteer effort.
  • Options
    EA's Influencer program is about advertising, not feedback from fans. I'm sure these "influencers" do give feedback but I'd be willing to bet that if they could tell us, they'd say that hardly any of their suggestions have been implemented, either.

I really don't believe that the reason we are not seeing the things added that we want has anything to do with the fact that they don't know what we want. I don't know if it's due to a deficient game engine, lack of money, poor management, or something else entirely, but there is some reason why these things are not being done. It's NOT IMO because they don't know what we want.

Drake's mention of some other way to get fans to give input will have absolutely no relationship to their Influencer program, IMO. It also will not mean that anything suggested gets implemented into the game; the purpose will be for "Engagement" - to keep players involved in the game so that they will continue purchasing new content.

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I think EA considers their target audience as people who watch YouTube vids to get their news and info about life and games. I always go to gaming sites or stop by my local Game Stop and chat with the manager or the web site of my favorite franchises and check out forthcoming games. I also talk and listen to my friends and see what they are playing. But, I am not EA's target audience anymore, even though I have tons more disposable income then their target audience. :o Go figure.

I watch YouTube vids when someone like @CravenLestat post's one of his dance vids or @king_of_simcity7 posts one of his stories. If someone posts LGR's vid I watch it for the fun, but, I don't go to YouTube sites and hunt for simming vids or influencers or sit for hours watching sims videos. I'd rather play my game (Sims3 in case y'all didn't know :) ) then watch other people play their games. I do have some friends who make lets plays and I will pop by their site and watch what they are up to sometimes, but, I'd much rather play my own game as much as I enjoy seeing what they are doing.

I really think they need to send out surveys to all registered users and find out just where they get their 'news'. I know they can do that because I got the first piece of mail from them in ages telling me about that 50%off coupon I can use to buy Sims4 or other games. I personally don't want anything that origin has to offer at this time for 50% off. I would fill out a survey, but for some reason I'm not on that list. I won't start my conspiracy theories about why though. :wink:
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »

They came to an end after we all laughed at the word Yibsims. I don't think any of them liked being laughed at so they were given a more grownup descriptive term of Influencers. I wouldn't rule out this being the end of the Influencer program in this game.

My understanding is that it's an EA-wide program. I don't think it's likely to go away. I do think that we're seeing a shift in its focus, but if that just means matching their resources to where they see actual influence, in numbers, I can't blame them much. I also took note of people who'd never had a Sims Camp invite before, ever, getting one this time. Maybe there's just not as much point as all that, when it comes to outreach, in inviting the same sites from older media every time? Any fansite that's doing this because they're fans surely would want to continue to do so even if they don't get in-person access or free game copies.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    @bekkasan I never get the game surveys either, and I own all the things! >.< :mutters: No biggie, cause I just blather away on twitter at the Gurus :blushes: but it would be kind of cool to see one of those mythical game surveys someday. lol
    I do get the Origin survey often asking if I would recommend Origin to a friend. I keep saying... NO! No I wouldn't, you know why? Because I can't gift on Origin, so having friends on Origin is nearly pointless. Enable gifting like Steam. -.- :cuddles Steam close:
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    @Sk8rblaze I think what many have missed was @SimGuruDrake said decisions were made while she was away on holiday and this may have been one of them. Tightening of communication after the leaks. So the very people who believe that SGD is the only person responsible may be shooting the messenger.

<snip>

I just wanted to point out that this could mean anything. These 'decisions' might simply involve the fact that they decided to speed up their timetable for releasing the next EP due to the leaks and will be totally focused on that, with no time to spend answering questions. It's quite a stretch, IMO, to assume that these 'decisions' have anything to do with the marketing program that SGD oversees. Just my two cents.

• Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited September 2016

People are reporting on other threads that there are fan sites that have been invited though. Granted they are sites I have never heard of and no links have been provided that I have seen but people have been saying that this site an that site have received invites. I am far too tired to search for them to quote them though. The sun is barely up...LOL

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @GoddessSims that's interesting. The only sites that I've heard that are invited are sites in Europe, which fall under a different Community Manager. (And these events they're invited to are held in Europe also, and not at Redwood Shores.)

• Options
    @bekkasan I am glad that you enjoy watching my videos :smile: I much prefer to watch videos that have thought to them rather than simply watching someone else do something I can do anyway
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top