Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Official Trailer for Backyard Stuff + Quarterly teaser

Comments

• Options
    noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    edited July 2016
    So, I would hope that this represents Seasons, I would also hope that it represents Toddlers. But I've pretty much given up hope on both. What I see is just another recycling of backyard furniture and whatnots ( what's the difference between this and the patio stuff?) . Maybe next quarter we can get a FRONT YARD pack or NEW CLOSETS....whoo hoo!
    It's all very lovely, but not exactly moving the game forward in a meaningful way. To me anyway, it feels as if the content has stalled with little indication of introducing the features that many of us have always loved in previous Sims games.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a nice game, with acceptable and well done content, but it just doesn't knock me backward with excitement. Now, Edit Town, Seasons and Toddlers would.....Just say'n
    Post edited by noodlesandme on
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I actually like this. ave no problem with it. I did expect an EP, to be honest, but backyard stuff is cool too.

I wasn't expecting one. Possibly more toward the end of the year, for the holidays, which would be teased next quarter, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    I do have to say- I was expecting stuff like swings, sandboxes and etc. Not a lemonade, but I still like the idea of it. It;s not what the game needs at the moment, but still...
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    GrandJury wrote: »
    The FaceBook backlash is giving me hope. I hope gaming sites pick up on this and shine some critical light on the producers. Enough is enough.

y03Ex_s-200x150.gif

To what end? They have been critical
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    waggymiley2013waggymiley2013 Posts: 239 Member
    They need to change the gif or post video to instead of "new stuff pack for the sims 4" it should say New teaser for the upcoming months for Sims 4
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    I think if we knew that a new EP was coming this year we'd all feel much better. But what's starting to concern me is the prospect that we may not get one; that doesn't bear thinking about. I think the problem here is that we're all starting to feel as though everything is slowing down and that's not good. Now it could be that it's because the Gurus are working on big things or it could be that they've hit some rocks on the road. Unfortunately due to the nature of information releases for TS4 we won't know until the next quarter begins... in October. :neutral:

Most likely EP3 is getting revealed August 17th at Gamescom from Rachel Franklin.

Drake said earlier in this topic that EPs would be revealed in the quarterly teasers, and we didn't just get that. We've also been told that EPs are now revealed in the quarter they're announced in, so that would mean release by September 30... but not teased this afternoon. They seem to use about 2 months of active marketing for them. I see no reason to think we're getting a reveal at Gamescom. Maybe first thing in October we'll get an EP teased in that season's trailer.

For some reason I feel like they're releasing it in October, since that would give the 2+ months advertising for it. So unless Agnes and the baby is a hint for the EP, as well as the possibility of getting nannies/babysitters back, that would mean we're not getting a EP until the end of this year.

Did they make this a render so that they don't have to explicitly say there's an EP coming out, since in the 1st one they told us plainly what packs we were getting. They know we knew about Backyard Stuff (hopefully, if they read the forums,) so they just showed a bit of it, knowing we were expecting an SP.I'm just hoping to get things cleared up at Gamescom without dancing. I know if Rachel comes on stage holding a toddler, the forums would freak out.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Wait a minute, @rudy8292, I was under the impression Maxis let a lot of people go who actually worked on this game. Like Ryan Vaughn who decided he didn't want to commute when they downsized and went mobile. And or that guy who was over or helped with buildmode and I can name several other people who were either placed somewhere else or decided time to move on after some sort of big change over at Maxis hiring that lady who is a mobile mogul, and going mobile. Hm, I must have imagined all that.

Deciding to move on is not being "let go" - it's normal everyday life in any business, software development included (in fact, it can be easier if you're in a well-paying industry to set money aside for a change of direction). My husband was talking just last night about circumstances he'd start looking for a different job in - and they had nothing to do with the company's direction, the product's success, the work environment, or being laid off. There's been no indication around any of the few job moves we know about that those people were pushed or were desperately escaping a sinking ship.

I meant move on as they changed Maxis and offered a different position or to commute or to not stay...it's the same difference to me. And we did lose many people who had been with Maxis for years and who had developed this game who aren't here. Like a few engineers. I'm sure @Writin_Reg can recall the man's name who worked on the build mode of this game who is no longer here. ETA: Just another tidbit, those two female devs who always did the TS3 walkthroughs were laid off and one hired back if I remember correctly.

But as far as content this late in the year I was hoping to see an amazing EP more so than GTW or GT. The wait for the heart and meat of the game is becoming almost unbearable for those who like meat in their gameplay.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    waggymiley2013waggymiley2013 Posts: 239 Member
    I'm not surprised lounge chairs wont make a return yet. Thanks for sharing the posts from Twitter. I hardly use twitter anymore to follow Gurus.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    GrandJury wrote: »
    The FaceBook backlash is giving me hope. I hope gaming sites pick up on this and shine some critical light on the producers. Enough is enough.

y03Ex_s-200x150.gif

oh, but no. ea cannot be thwarted from their vision for the franchise. no matter what the critics say.
  • Options
    taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    Honestly I was disappointed at first and I still am but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say something great is coming..soon.... I just hope it's released during my lifespan, haha! :D

giphy.gif
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    I don't understand the logical perspective of the choices the team makes at times and it's infuriating to a fan of the series since February 2000. Just sayin'. You don't want rampant speculation, so you all decide to do release a teaser that does nothing but add fuel to a speculation fire. Then there are Guru official posts downplaying speculative talk, that wasn't at all even speculative but fact. Just because "EA's vision" for "Sims 4" is on track - it is NOT with a vast majority of "the Sims" community. So it's sad to see fuel added to a fire, and then not expect huge backlash.

From those three thought bubbles I can deduce baby upgrades/toddlers, (rattle), we know the lemonade is the icon for the next SP so that's clearly SP's gameplay object (cool by the by) and of course the bird says "Seasons". Because in the Sims 2, that's when birds first arrived and bird watching so it's clear if we're getting birds it must be seasons, or even pets! Because in Sims 2 we had them as Pets too! maybe it's seasons and Pets! Maybe it's... a recipe for non stop speculation.

Maybe that is the objective of this marketing strategy. Keep people talking about the game using reality show tactics.

SMH.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited July 2016
    Krisha880 wrote: »
    - Nanny NPC - new free content?

Why should there be a nanny NPC in a free patch? Can anyone please explain that to me, is there something I'm missing in this teaser?
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I think if we knew that a new EP was coming this year we'd all feel much better. But what's starting to concern me is the prospect that we may not get one; that doesn't bear thinking about. I think the problem here is that we're all starting to feel as though everything is slowing down and that's not good. Now it could be that it's because the Gurus are working on big things or it could be that they've hit some rocks on the road. Unfortunately due to the nature of information releases for TS4 we won't know until the next quarter begins... in October. :neutral:

Most likely EP3 is getting revealed August 17th at Gamescom from Rachel Franklin.

Not likely. 1) No confirmation about TS4 being at Gamescom and 2) they can't reveal upcoming packs until it's the quarter they'll be released in. 3) Since EP3 was not in the teaser trailer we shouldn't expect an announcement in August.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited July 2016
    Krisha880 wrote: »
    - Nanny NPC - new free content?

Why should there be a nanny NPC in a free patch? Can anyone please explain that to me, is there something I'm missing in this teaser?
    The teasers show paid and free content (patches). The old lady holding a baby looks like she could be a nanny but it's not confirmed yet.
    I don't see a point considering kids can stay at home alone forever and babies just go poof to the "daycare"
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    MaddisMaddis Posts: 137 Member

Drake said earlier in this topic that EPs would be revealed in the quarterly teasers, and we didn't just get that. We've also been told that EPs are now revealed in the quarter they're announced in, so that would mean release by September 30... but not teased this afternoon. They seem to use about 2 months of active marketing for them. I see no reason to think we're getting a reveal at Gamescom. Maybe first thing in October we'll get an EP teased in that season's trailer.

Well...last Year's second EP got also announced in early August and released in December (planed for November). So I don't see a possibility why a reveal at Gamescom should be impossible :smiley:
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Not impressed, and they shouldn't expect anyone to be. The content our sims are "gonna enjoy" wasn't even worth a video like the last one, that right there should tell you how valuable this content will be.
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Perhaps they shoot themselves in the foot with the emotions and now the costs for animations are going through the ceiling. Let's hope that for Backyard a lounge chair is in the budget.

It leaves me wondering is something wrong over at Maxis when we can't even get two EPs in one year?

They laid off too many people, so now they are dealing with the consequences so it seems.

It's much easier to grab the cash with stuff packs, since they are easier to create instead of EP's. SO it seems they are going for that route instead. But whatever.

I guess they think the community is too needy. >.>

While you may be disappointed with the teaser I'm going to ask that you don't push a false narrative. We haven't laid anyone off and no one has said that the "community is too needy".

Additionally, each type of pack has a different team, SPs are smaller bits of content while GPs / EPs are bigger pieces of content.

No that's why I said: ''I guess''. It's my opinion, it's what I think.

And didn't the Salt Lake studio get closed a few years ago? Wasn't that another studio with a team making EP's? I am not making that up.

That team was not working on The Sims 4, they were working on TS3 and have since moved onto other projects within EA. Also (since I've seen people mention it) the Maxis Emeryville Studio was not working on The Sims 4 and most people relocated to the EARS office either still with Maxis or within EA while some opted to move on.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    Perhaps they shoot themselves in the foot with the emotions and now the costs for animations are going through the ceiling. Let's hope that for Backyard a lounge chair is in the budget.

It leaves me wondering is something wrong over at Maxis when we can't even get two EPs in one year?

They laid off too many people, so now they are dealing with the consequences so it seems.

It's much easier to grab the cash with stuff packs, since they are easier to create instead of EP's. SO it seems they are going for that route instead. But whatever.

While you may be disappointed with the teaser I'm going to ask that you don't push a false narrative. We haven't laid anyone off and no one has said that the "community is too needy".

Additionally, each type of pack has a different team, SPs are smaller bits of content while GPs / EPs are bigger pieces of content.

And didn't the Salt Lake studio get closed a few years ago? Wasn't that another studio with a team making EP's? I am not making that up.

i do remember a maxis studio closure recently. maxis emeryville?

I am talking about that studio where SimGuruLauren was working and the studio that made The Sims 3 University. I recall that getting closed down or something. So I GUESS they only have one team left working on EP's now instead of two, so that's probably why they are so slow.

Rudy that is where they made the Sims 3 store content and the studio itself is still fully running but it was being changed up to an all mobile app studio so the 40 people they had working there on Sims 3 store content were either let go (they had other job offer in many cases) or offered work at the main studio in CA at Redwood Shores. Maxis on the EA Campus has been the main studio for Sims for ages now - even Emeryville was mainly just for Sims City for a real long time - but the work at Salt Lake City was mainly for the Sims store not the packs and such, except for testing packs - when I tested Showtime for EA we stayed in communication with people at Salt Lake City - but the pack itself was made at Redwood Shores Campus from my understanding.

Believe me Maxis teams are huge. Lauren did come back to the Redwood Shores Campus for a while after the Sims 3 store was closing - she posted about it else where, but she got another full time position somewhere else - so that was her choice. Also Ryan Vaughn choose to leave as the commute to and from the Redwood Campus was too much - he mentioned something like a 3 hour drive one way and then 3 hour drive back to his home everyday - and he was missing time with his family (he has a couple of young kids too) so he choose that - he was not let go per sec.

But Maxis is huge - over on the investors stock page for EA Maxis at Redwood Shores is listed as having 1500 employees with EA having an additional 8400 - 8500 as of February 1, 2016 - so not an issue I can see. Those 40 at Salt Lake City was just a tiny number and I heard at least half to a third of those were placed somewhere within EA. Maxis had no vacancies last I heard. So that can't be the issue. (I also hear any vacancies that do come up at Maxis get filled rather quickly as it is apparently one of the favored places to work for. Employees have voted EA as one of the favored places to work at least the last 3 years in a row - including this year as well.)
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Arletta wrote: »
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    This thread jumped 23 pages in the last two hours and I can't find anything specific as I don't know what page it's on....so forgive me for asking but...is it confirmed that this SP is the only PAID content coming this quarter? I realize we'll have patches but no GP (not surprising, DO just came out) and no EP or other SP?

I haven't seen anyone confirm or deny that the one little picture is it for the quarter.

Simgurudrake did a while ago.

She confirmed it was the teaser. I was responding to the question of it was the only paid content for the quarter.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    mattgstlmattgstl Posts: 1,714 Member
    edited July 2016
    Wow, this is not what I was expecting, to say I am dissapointed is an understatement. From the look of this thread most other people share my views. I just don't understand this lack of information given to us! They hyped up this teaser just to announce another stuff pack, only days after the release of Kids stuff. I wouldn't mind if they explored different rooms and styles, instead of revisiting the same thing three times.

I hope this backlash forces home to the producers that they should be more clear on their intentions for future packs. TBH most of us just want to know what EP 3 is. :D:'(
  • Options
    MaddisMaddis Posts: 137 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »

Not likely. 1) No confirmation about TS4 being at Gamescom and 2) they can't reveal upcoming packs until it's the quarter they'll be released in. 3) Since EP3 was not in the teaser trailer we shouldn't expect an announcement in August.

That's not right :wink:

1). There is no confirmed Gamed from EA at Gamescom at all
    2). They can't reveal FREE Content until the Quarter it'll be released in! Packs that we have to pay for can be announced at any time.
    3). @SimGuruDrake said we will see a new EP in the Teaser for the Quarter it's going to be released in...she didn't said that they can't reveal it earlier! (Get Together was announced in August and released in December)
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

i do remember a maxis studio closure recently. maxis emeryville?

I am talking about that studio where SimGuruLauren was working and the studio that made The Sims 3 University. I recall that getting closed down or something. So I GUESS they only have one team left working on EP's now instead of two, so that's probably why they are so slow.

Rudy that is where they made the Sims 3 store content and the studio itself is still fully running but it was being changed up to an all mobile app studio so the 40 people they had working there on Sims 3 store content were either let go or offered work at the main studio in CA at Redwood Shores. Maxis on the EA Campus has been the main studio for Sims for ages now - even Emeryville was mainly just for Sims City for a real long time - but the work at Salt Lake City was mainly for the Sims store not the packs and such, except for testing packs - when I tested Showtime for EA we stayed in communication with people at Salt Lake City - but the pack itself was made at Redwood Shores Campus from my understanding.

Believe me Maxis teams are huge. Lauren did come back to the Redwood Shores Campus for a while after the Sims 3 store was closing - but she got another full time position else where - so that was her choice. Also Ryan Vaughn choose to leave as the commute to and from the Redwood Campus was too much - he mentioned something like a 3 hour drive one way and then 3 hour drive back to his home everyday - and he was missing time with his family (he has a couple of young kids too) so he choose that - he was not let go per sec.

But Maxis is huge - over on the investors stock page for EA Maxis at Redwood Shores is listed as having 1500 employees with EA having an additional 8400 - 8500 as of February 1, 2016 - so not an issue I can see. Those 40 at Salt Lake City was just a tiny number and I heard at least half to a third of those were placed somewhere within EA. Maxis had no vacancies last I heard. So that can't be the issue. (I also hear any vacancies that do come up at Maxis get filled rather quickly as it is apparently one of the favored places to work for.

Thank you for clearing up the studio part! ^^
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    3) Since EP3 was not in the teaser trailer we shouldn't expect an announcement in August.

How do you know it wasn't? Don't you think seasons is a big enough thing for an EP? I do!
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Not impressed, and they shouldn't expect anyone to be. The content our sims are "gonna enjoy" wasn't even worth a video like the last one, that right there should tell you how valuable this content will be.

We treated this teaser just like the last, there is still a video that shows the same thing but opted to have a GIF on Twitter instead so its easier to share. And considering the layout is the same (content on a white background) and is meant to give you an idea of the content and the type of pack it is we fulfilled what we said we would do.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims