Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco living is the winning theme!

Comments

• Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I'm hoping for a composting bin so we can use our trash and spoiled food to fertilize our gardens. Maybe it could be a higher quality fertilizer since we're recycling and keeping the trash out of landfills.

I hope they add a Home Depot so we can improve our gardening. If they add Lowe's I'm going to pretty darn mad!
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    My number one turned out to be last, *tears*, but still excited!
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Hopefully, it turns out better than what I'm picturing in my mind. Right now, I'm feeling a bit "meh" on this SP.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    4 days wasn't very long - I would have voted for starter home. There was nothing at the top of the forum letting anyone know this was happening. Not fair at all.
  • Options
    ponderosaponderosa Posts: 238 Member
    Daleylife wrote: »
    When I think of what the game NEEDS to be fun, a washing machine doesn't come to mind.
    Really disappointed.

What's interesting about your comment and what has definitely put things into perspective for me, is that this is what the community voted for. This is what the players voted for. It has shown me that what one person believes the game "needs" is entirely different than what another person would consider necessary.
    tumblr_opta4zrh011r17qi5o1_500.gif
    origin ID: maureenponderosa
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    It was the laundry, wasn't it? Dang, if they had included washers in Arcade, that might've won.
    Anyway, cool!*
    And again, Graham, thanks for allowing us to be part of the process.

*By "cool," I don't mean "air-conditioned cool," because, you know, not eco.

Wait, you just might have an amazing idea here. They could patch in the washers and dryers right before the pack came out (like with dishwashers and Cool Kitchen). With the new teen hangout lot trait they added, create and arcade venue that had arcade games, a claw machine, and some washers and dryers in the arcade. Since teens don't have anything to do, they could take the laundry and their homework to the arcade. They could do their homework and play arcade games while the laundry is going (washing and drying clothes would take 6-7 hours). If they get a prize out of the claw machine, they could give it to their mom, or maybe a younger brother or sister, or just keep it for themselves. Kids could use the tables from City living to sell some of those toys from the machine. Of course, you have to buy the pack to get the rest of the items such as CAS, clutter, functional hamper, close line (for the eco sims). Best of both worlds.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    4 days wasn't very long - I would have voted for starter home. There was nothing at the top of the forum letting anyone know this was happening. Not fair at all.

Actually there is. It's the yellow banner, clearly stating:

Your vote counts! Help us create a new Stuff Pack for The Sims 4 READ MORE ON OUR BLOG
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    It's cool that this was almost exactly the order I picked! But Starter Homes and Dangerous were reversed for me.

I'm excited to see where this theme goes! But it's also just a stuff pack so I keep reminding myself it can't get that crazy with gameplay objects.... still excited for the next vote.
  • Options
    Aeranema08Aeranema08 Posts: 2 New Member
    So happy that we were given a chance to vote.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham Can we please get an explanation of how laundry is eco-friendly? xD When one thinks of washing machines, earth friendly doesn't come to mind.

Well, I mean, aren't most laundry machines these days made to be more energy efficient and space saving and less clunky and mechanical? It seems that companies are always working to improve on that. And there's always the possibility of having those old clothes lines to hang your wash on to dry instead of using a dryer, I suppose.

Yes they are less damaging to the enviroment...but the machines aren't 'eco-friendly' in any way. Same thing can be said to anything these days, TVs, computers, etc... Are they 'eco-friendly'? Not at all. But they are working more on them to make them less damaging.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Quania2007Quania2007 Posts: 14 New Member
    This is a tragedy. How is this actually going to enhance gameplay? A washer and dryer? That was tedious as heck in the Sims 3. I really do not understand how this was anywhere near the top 3 let alone the winner. If people just wanted washing machines, they could have just added that into a domestic pack! I don't believe this. I am so disappointed. I thought Dangerous would have won. Even though I personally wanted weddings, dangerous would have added something that is missing from the base game...death! Even with GTW, sims get sick but can't die, go to the doctors, etc. It would have rounded out gameplay. What the heck is a couple of washing machines (not eco-friendly) going to add but another chore? What gaming mechanic is going to enhance the gameplay from the party-centric vibe the Sims 4 has? This is so disappointing but at least people got to vote.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't think most people really know what eco living actually means. It ain't washers and dryers. Sims beating their clothes on a rock and hanging them on a line to dry in the fresh air and sunshine is closer to the point.

I have a bad feeling that these discussions are going to turn into who can throw the most P.C. terms at the wall to see if they stick. Eco living, going green, sustainability, anti-green washing, etc. Should be fun to watch.
  • Options
    Quania2007Quania2007 Posts: 14 New Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I don't think most people really know what eco living actually means. It ain't washers and dryers. Sims beating their clothes on a rock and hanging them on a line to dry in the fresh air and sunshine is closer to the point.

I have a bad feeling that these discussions are going to turn into who can throw the most P.C. terms at the wall to see if they stick. Eco living, going green, sustainability, anti-green washing, etc. Should be fun to watch.

a friend of mine has gotten me to look on the bright side. This could be interesting for a few hours but I can't see me using this in multiple households. This would be a one and done sp for me...if I buy it. This is the only sp that I have ever thought about not getting but we are a long ways off and just maybe the Sims team and the community can change my mind.
  • Options
    Leo_GruenLeo_Gruen Posts: 468 Member

When I think eco I think people who make their own wine and... (angry) poop in buckets. Which, honestly, sounds more fun than laundry...
  • Options
    TerrenceWorldTerrenceWorld Posts: 18 New Member
    Maybe the Eco Living game pack will be more like the Sims 2: Castaway game was where there is an island that you can live on and make your own clothes and actually scavenge for food or something. It could also go in the direction of having washing machines, dryers, clothes lines, and compost. The compose would be cool if they expanded on the gardening skill or added like more herbs to go with the herbalist skill or where we could make elixirs to use for spells o something to go with the vampire pack that we just had.
  • Options
    CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    I like how they approached the development of a SP this way and involve the community! And while my first choice didn't win (yes, I'm one of them that voted for the starter house stuff, seems everyone here is surprised that came second lolz :smile: ), Eco Friendly could be interesting for sure! I like the possible 'living off the land' approach mentioned, will be looking forward to the next voting round! B)
  • Options
    JameshockettJameshockett Posts: 96 Member
    I’m really excited that Eco Living won. I feel like there is a lot to work with here & I hope the gurus really push the limits of what this pack could be.
    I love that we get to be involved in the process! Please feel free to share your own ideas & thoughts. My interpretation:

The Sims 4: Eco Living

The pack would be centered around equipping your sim’s home with the newest eco-friendly technologies & also easing the “carbon footprint” in your world.

ART STYLE: Sleek Modern Bamboo / Suburban Whicker – Using recycled materials to create sleek & modern pieces to accent the eco-friendly lifestyle.

POSSIBLE NEW ITEMS:
    A window w/ a built in shelf for mini indoor garden
    Robot vacuum cleaner - : Toddler(Pets?) could chase it around
    A 1x1 broom closet with Eco-Friendly cleaning products: Mop, Broom, Duster, Vacuums
    Skylight
    Trash Compactor/Compost Pile to get fertilizer for gardening
    Hi-Tech Fridge/Over the Stove Microwave/Wall Oven
    Laundry System – w/ stackable options, Clothing lines & folding clothes.
    Windows that fit the arch of a roof.
    Solar Power to decrease your bills
    Electric wall Fireplace
    Clutter: Light Switches, Wall Plugs, lots of plants

Hair: Seeing how this is an eco-friendly pack, I would love to see some new natural hair styles- big curls & braided styles.
    Actual textured (not-cliché) afros, Boxer Braids.

Outfits: Variety of earth tones with floral prints. Overalls, Sandals, Long & flowing items.
  • Options
    SimAbraoSimAbrao Posts: 3 New Member
    @SimGuruGraham I am happy for Eco Living winning. Now, when you say solar energy, maybe glass walls could be a great addition for this Stuff Pack since glass walls can help save money and carbon emissions. This is just a thought putting it out there for consideration.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Quania2007 wrote: »

a friend of mine has gotten me to look on the bright side. This could be interesting for a few hours but I can't see me using this in multiple households. This would be a one and done sp for me...if I buy it. This is the only sp that I have ever thought about not getting but we are a long ways off and just maybe the Sims team and the community can change my mind.
    It's still very much in the concept stage. Eco living could be a lot of different things. If your at all into thinking up and sharing ideas, I suggest thinking about what might fit within the broad concept of eco living and see if you can share stuff that would be exciting to you. If there's really no angle to the concept that interests you, that's fine too. But you might be surprised. Don't let the pre-existing suggestions define how you think about it; just brainstorm.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited April 2017
    oops double post
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited April 2017
    It did this twice cause of problem with web sight I guess, so I deleted first one and put this instead, this is what I think in My opinion bout Eco Living > :(
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited April 2017
    Now I can toss My cookies and say there clean it up the Eco way why don't ya, I can not believe that Dangerous came in 3rd when it was suppose to be in first place, I think this is rigged for those good doer's who only want Happy go Lucky stuff, which I am so sick and tired of, I wanted My Dang Graveyards and Funerals for a change, I am not going to bother with Laundry Bull, this game is just getting worse every day, what will be next ? Stand in line as the conveyers go by and pick out the items that do not belong? , If so I only hope you wear those nifty Flowered Gloves for protection, or make sure there are plastic under those as well, but wait that is right No Plastics allowed in the Eco world , oh well.
  • Options
    Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    As an idea for Eco! I would give my suggestion, give us eco friendly Tesla or Solar powered cars! ;) I am not a fan of laundry in RL, it's the most wasted action in a short human life. Which could be spend with other more productive things. BUT I would welcome an off the grid living style! Which would be really called Eco living. Live off the land, get chicken back and get your own eggs! Etc, etc... But please laundry has nothing to do with preserving nature or it's resources in any way... Here in California we are mostly in a drought and turning on the laundry washer or take a big bath with a filled tub are just wasteful and irresponsible actions. But to actually give meaning to the word Eco, I would think living without power, somehow generate your own energy etc. THAT would be called Eco LIVING! ;) These are my ideas for a pack that could turn out amazing.
  • Options
    SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,189 SimGuru
    edited April 2017
    Neia wrote: »
    I didn't expect to learn the winner so quickly :D

Eco living is a theme broad enough for the crazy simmers' imagination ;)

@SimGuruGraham
    Since we now know it's Eco living, I have a question you most likely can't answer precisely but hopefully give a vague answer. Quite a lot of the eco living theme is related to the environment, and thus to seasons/weather for example. Obviously, you have far more insight into the content yet to come than us, so how are we supposed to handle it when discussing the community SP ? Like can we brainstorm ideas with seasons/weather in mind ? And how will the community SP integrate with the rest of the game ? Will our Eco living SP still work with seasons/weather if such a theme come in TS4 at some point ? Will you curate the polls to offer only options you know won't interfere with future content or will the EP/GP team take the community SP into account ?

Great question. Features and suggestions that are reliant on unannounced / potentially future content are unlikely to make their way into a pack being developed today. There are a few reasons why we try and avoid those types of features while we develop a pack...

1. A feature being built with an expectation of another feature existing in the future may be designed in a way that's incompatible with what we create in the future. Without that future content being well-defined, we can't set ourselves up for success in what we're developing right now.

2. A feature that relies on more content being introduced in the future to make sense or fully function within the game is likely best left to be developed and released alongside the content that it works best with.

That said, we do create new packs, we consider the content that's already been released for the game and discuss how any of our new features should work with old features.

While everything the community discusses and asks for in relation to this stuff pack will be considered, we will only include options for the official votes that are feasible for us to create in a stuff pack, and are features that we're ok with winning... Essentially we don't want to create any invalid choices. Everything that you will vote on has a genuine chance of winning, if it's what the majority of the players decide they want.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top