Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    That's not being a pain, @ADWilson. I think all the LL trees are really different. I just wanted to show you the one I hadn't shown you yet.

I'll play with it some more and get a tester in. I often change things up with a Sim in play and get more ideas.
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker

I made some design changes today, I think it'll allow for a lot more useful areas and some fun stuff.

I mostly rearranged the mezzanine level, added a library, scribal tables, and a 'secret room' that you can fill in with Supernatural stuff if you like! (Or I can fill in something). I started playing with decor in the Great Hall, but mostly just to see how things look, none of it is set in stone. I also started playing with some colors and patterns in the bedrooms.
    Added the screened passage to the... <- this side. And added a private sitting room to -> side behind the dias with the head table
    GreatHall1_zpsnuxwi7aa.jpg

Made the Minstrel gallery <- smaller, then put a library -> above the sitting room below which leads to the scribal balcony at the bottom, which leads to the secret room over the stairs below to the bottom <-, below the minstrel gallery
    Balcony-and-Library_zpsgmaf6ho3.jpg
    MinstrelGallery_zpsi6wacmtm.jpg
    ScribalMezanine_zps3bcobwe0.jpg

The library has spy windows overlooking the hall below ;) Ah, castle intrigue!
    Spyhole_zpsyb1tzuqg.jpg

And some play with the hall decor
    GreatHall2_zpsml7trpek.jpg
    GreatHall3_zps1r7kefnf.jpg

Bedrooms
    Bedrooms_zpstoxbajxf.jpg

• Options
    @Kgaff

I made George and Martha. I think George's reaction as he entered the house says it all

awww!!! <3 indeed! They're beautiful!
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @MiaSkywalker

I made some design changes today, I think it'll allow for a lot more useful areas and some fun stuff.
    Oooh! Exciting to see it coming together! :)

Hm... interesting thought. Let's put the spellbook in a secret area if you have it, and maybe leave room for an alchemy table. I think the table is 3 across and 2 deep, but I may have to verify. It might be just 2x1.

I love the way you've set up the dining area, with the head table on a platform. I had never thought of doing it that way before, but it's a really great idea!

It's really cool having the minstrel gallery overlooking the great hall that way. :)

I see the ground floor, a mezzanine, and the floor above it. Is there a floor below that one, or is there one below the great hall?
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker There are two floors below the great hall - entry and kitchens are right below, and store rooms on the ground floor.

I don't have the spellbook or alchemy table but will absolutely leave room for them, they'd go perfectly here. :)

@aricarai Oh my goodness, lady! You have done it again, thank you so much for your generous gifts!!!! So @MiaSkywalker I now have Grim's manor! <3 You all are the best!
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    You are most welcome @creativemetaphor! ❤
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Okay, so designing the kitchens, I'm going to divide it into three sections, the main central kitchen where prep and cooking will be, then one wing will have the cistern and water-amenities, and the other will hold the nectar maker and the alchemy table since from the picture it looked kitchen-y. Unless you don't like that?

I'll put some nectar racks in the basement where they can age properly :)

• Options
    @MiaSkywalker

I love the way you've set up the dining area, with the head table on a platform.

It's really cool having the minstrel gallery overlooking the great hall that way. :)

Also, much as I'd love to take credit and say I'm just a creative genius, I didn't come up with these ideas, these are how the halls were traditionally arranged. :lol: I will take some credit for research and being period accurate ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @MiaSkywalker There are two floors below the great hall - entry and kitchens are right below, and store rooms on the ground floor.

I don't have the spellbook or alchemy table but will absolutely leave room for them, they'd go perfectly here. :)

@aricarai Oh my goodness, lady! You have done it again, thank you so much for your generous gifts!!!! So @MiaSkywalker I now have Grim's manor! <3 You all are the best!
    Oh my gosh! Ari, how sweet!

Ironically, I was trying to earn points last night so I could gift it to CM, but the ads have not been nice to me for the last month or so. When I get them - which isn't often anymore - they don't seem to drop me any points. :angry: I also keep getting that obnoxious "There is no survey at this time" box. Then why even bring that up, you dodo ad? :angry:
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker

I love the way you've set up the dining area, with the head table on a platform.

Also, much as I'd love to take credit and say I'm just a creative genius, I didn't come up with these ideas, these are how the halls were traditionally arranged. :lol: I will take some credit for research and being period accurate ;)
    Yeah, I know it is, but even though I know it, I've never THOUGHT of it when making a build like this. Just never occurred to me to do a mezzanine, even though it totally fits. (Like having a stereo over your head, you know?)
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Okay, so designing the kitchens, I'm going to divide it into three sections, the main central kitchen where prep and cooking will be, then one wing will have the cistern and water-amenities, and the other will hold the nectar maker and the alchemy table since from the picture it looked kitchen-y. Unless you don't like that?

I'll put some nectar racks in the basement where they can age properly :)
    Oh, that totally works. The nectar maker doesn't need to be in the basement, so in a divided off area the kitchen works too. The Sims - at least MY Sims - don't physically walk the nectar over to the racks to drop them in. I always do that myself. I know our Sims can "browse" the racks, but I never do it. I always open them myself, look at what's in it, and take out what I want them to drink, or drop in the bottles I think suit that set best.

What are you going to put in the water amenities area? A well? That fountain called the "rustic pump"? Just curious, because that's another thing I've never thought of putting in. :)
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Yeah, the ads haven't been good to me recently either. More along the lines of I'll watch the ad play, but then it never kicks over to the little window that says you'll get your points, it'll just sit at the end of the video forever. So I've *watched* it and don't get credit :angry:

I think I got quite spoiled with Mount Vernon in that I had exact rooms to replicate, and now I'm trying to do the same with your castle, so I am looking for all I can on how the rooms and stories would have been arranged :) I'll have to make some stuff up but for the most part I'm trying to be as authentic as I can while still being Sim-functional :mrgreen:

And yes, @aricarai is a total sweetheart <3

• Options
    @MiaSkywalker

What are you going to put in the water amenities area? A well? That fountain called the "rustic pump"? Just curious, because that's another thing I've never thought of putting in. :)

Will see how the pump looks with the cistern - will see if I can get the cistern to work how I'm hoping (a pool or fountain so it looks like a nice large reservoir) and if that won't place, then the dive pool from WA buydebug. Basically I'll play with it when I get home, just brainstorming the ideas!
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Yeah, the ads haven't been good to me recently either. More along the lines of I'll watch the ad play, but then it never kicks over to the little window that says you'll get your points, it'll just sit at the end of the video forever. So I've *watched* it and don't get credit :angry:
    That's exactly what happens with me as well. Seven or eight months ago I would get ads all the time, and got credit for them, so I was able to run a big contest and give every entrant a venue. Now, though, I'm getting almost nothing, and what I do get is unproductive. I think later in the year we get better ads, maybe because of the upcoming holiday season. Right now we're getting "ads" that don't really seem to be ads.
  • Options
    That's looking great creativemetaphor!
  • Options
    @Creativemetaphor:

I have decided to take a break from the incredibly convoluted puzzles I'm creating in the tomb under the gym ( :lol: ), so decided to show you the (somewhat) final pics of the gym itself. There are a few details I noticed that I need to fix (for instance, two torches next to each other in the bistro area), and I still haven't put in the doors (to keep out those townies while I'm testing the place), but otherwise it's pretty complete. If you'd like anything on the walls, or any specific build/buy/premium items in here, please let me know. (Or if you do NOT have something, like the massage tables, also let me know!) I think the walls seem a bit bare to me, so I will probably put some wall hangings in both the upper and lower areas.
    34xngn6.jpg
    2a8hohc.jpg
    2hp3vye.jpg
    eio000.jpg
    ojf709.jpg
    2d6sklw.jpg
    xqg7fa.jpg
    2ldub9f.jpg
    34y91ft.jpg
    rkzhvm.jpg
    29xdf7r.jpg
    25ppm3p.jpg
    2hh0pc4.jpg
    2dc7og1.jpg
    w1ahrt.jpg
    33jrfv7.jpg
    351zudt.jpg

While I don't think this is as interesting as the library renovation, it's still quite an improvement of what was originally there. I don't really want to destroy the medieval feel, so I wouldn't put in things like that climbing thing. (I forget what it's called, but it's in the Man Cave set, I think.)

But I think you're going to have the most fun in the tomb itself. Or maybe the most frustration! While the layout of the tomb is pretty straightforward, the puzzles themselves are not. I'm learning how to use that tomb controller; that should give you an idea of the complexity I'm doing. :naughty:
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Oh that's looking lovely!! maybe some banners or tapestries to warm up the walls?

And I always forget about the rock climbing wall! I bet we could medieval it up, maybe hide it along the side of a large rock so it looks like they're really rock climbing?

And yay for more chances to play in tombs!! I love puzzles! Myst is one of my favorite game series <3
  • Options
    @ciane Thank you!! Having so much fun with it, too :)

Though I'm thinking I really sold you short now :lol: Everyone else has gotten these epic large builds and you got this tiny little almost a starter house!!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I LOVE that tiny starter house! It is perfect for me (and probably many others too)! My computer would crawl and crash on full, large lots. And, I'd get lost in them. I really do prefer small and minimalist. I am so, so happy with the home you made for me.

I got the launcher to let me upload, so I'll show you what I did today:
    screenshot_original.jpg

I think I'll have to go darker on the exterior to match surrounding buildings better and I haven't CASt'd yet, but do you like this look?
  • Options
    @ciane THAT. IS. BEAUTIFUL! I love the planters and fountains you added to the stairs!!

And I'm so glad you love your house <3
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker I just realized what they totally failed to put in any of their medieval content... A ROUND TABLE!!! Like, a Round Table round table! So I'm going to try to MOO you one!
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker I just realized what they totally failed to put in any of their medieval content... A ROUND TABLE!!! Like, a Round Table round table! So I'm going to try to MOO you one!
    I've noticed that before. Just make sure that you test it, to be certain our Sims can use it! Sometimes these things just don't work right, even if they look great.

I really wish there were a way we could have some object in the Sims that could move in the dungeons, other than the same pushable statue. There are many times I wish we could move a coffin or something. But I have to work with what we're given.
  • Options
    One thing that has been bothering me about my build for you, @creativemetaphor, is that when you place a ladder next to an outside wall, you get a little black square (even if the ladder is white). Look on the tower next to the three long windows:
    screenshot_original.jpg

I tried putting a sign, light, or banner there without any luck. Then I thought that the Worlds of Wonder flags on poles, which I think you don't have, are really columns; so I tried some three story columns MOOed over each other. They fall a bit short of the roof, but that is usually covered nicely with a roof. For the turreted tower, I added those spiky pieces, which seem like they should be on a tower to fly the lord's flag when he is at home.

screenshot_original.jpg

If you don't like the look, I'll play with trying to wind Ivy up the side of the towers.

Remember nothing is CASted yet.
  • Options
    @ciane could you just move the ladder over one square? Otherwise, there are three-story columns possible (at least 1 anyway lol) that you can hide them with. The ones you used look like oarsman columns? I don't have the flagpoles, but I have wanted the carousel set (that's what it's from right) so maybe I'll just go snag that one :)

@MiaSkywalker You have a round table!!! Well... more of a 'spoked' table but close enough! I think it looks good and my Sim can sit at it

Roundtable_zpsh9ezjfvb.jpg

You also have a throne room and functional window seat benches :)

Thrones_zpsgjkxvtm8.jpg

Windowseat_zpspmuylcfh.jpg
  • Options
    @ciane could you just move the ladder over one square? Otherwise, there are three-story columns possible (at least 1 anyway lol) that you can hide them with. The ones you used look like oarsman columns? I don't have the flagpoles, but I have wanted the carousel set (that's what it's from right) so maybe I'll just go snag that one :)

@MiaSkywalker You have a round table!!! Well... more of a 'spoked' table but close enough! I think it looks good and my Sim can sit at it
    Oh, wow! That looks so awesome! Now, of course, you realize I'm going to have to make all of the Knights of the Round Table, to sit at it. :)

Yes, she is talking about the carousel set. I absolutely adore that carousel! It's one of my favorite pieces of PC.

I'm a bit discouraged about my build for you. When I saved it to my library, then brought it to a test world for testing, I found 11 errors with the tomb in just the first few rooms alone. I couldn't even get past room 5 to continue testing, because the puzzle in 5 is unsolvable the way I had set it up. That was completely unexpected, and I'm going to have to completely rethink it. It was one of the more complex puzzles, and I was rather proud of it, but the thing I had expected the player to be able to do, the player is simply unable to do it. :cry:

I suppose I should have expected errors, I just wasn't expecting quite so MANY. It's very discouraging. But, of course, I have all day to fix those errors... and then tonight discover what more errors the build has. :p