Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Laptop* Graphics Card Information Zone [CALLING LAPTOP SIMMERS FOR A SURVEY + LAPTOP HELP HERE]

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    > @summermistx3 <br />
    <br />
    Hi, I was wondering if you're still helping people out to find some good laptops for simming? I was going to get computer pieces and buy my own desktop but since I do not live in the usa sending them from newegg.com is really expensive, they do not even deliver to my country. So I was planning on getting a laptop but I've been struggling to find some. I know the specs and would love a 650, 660, 750 or 740 Nvidia graphics card but haven't found any laptops/desktop with those cards and that fit the specs. They're way too expensive. I currently have like 540 usd, but could try to extent it :) Thanks
    Where do you live? $540 wont get anything decent.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    gabsxsimmergabsxsimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > gabsxsimmer wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > Where do you live? $540 wont get anything decent.

I know :( But I already got a Lenovo Y40 with a decent graphics card.

www(.)shop(.)lenovo(.)com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/

I got the second one, and it has the AMD Radeon R9 M275 2GB Graphics Card, 8GB Ram and 500gb HDD. I checked the graphics card on notebookchek.com and it says it can run sims 3 and 4 on the highest settings which is good.

It was $699 and I'm owing my parents money now haha. But do you think it will be a great option for sims 3 and 4 with all ep's and sp's and custom content?

I also had another question, does anyone know which lighting mod is summermistx3 using in this post? forum(.)thesims3(.)com/jforum/posts/list/635124(.)page (screenshots)

I find it amazingly beautiful.

I live in Colombia.
  • Options
    cherrieezcherrieez Posts: 5 New Member
    edited December 2014
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a laptop to play sims 3 & 4 well. Could you tell what you think or any others that you think would be better for my budget? I live in the UK and my budget is about £650. Also is it better to spend money on a better graphics card and worse processor or vice versa, as I'm unsure of whether to shell out for an i7 or stick with i5 and have a better graphics card?
    This is what I've chosen: acer(.)co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.MRVEK.007
    Thank you :)
    Post edited by cherrieez on
  • Options
    gabsxsimmergabsxsimmer Posts: 4 New Member
    > @cherrieez said:
    > Hi, I'm looking to buy a laptop to play sims 3 & 4 well. Could you tell what you think or any others that you think would be better for my budget? I live in the UK and my budget is about £650. Also is it better to spend money on a better graphics card and worse processor or vice versa, as I'm unsure of whether to shell out for an i7 or stick with i5 and have a better graphics card?
    > This is what I've chosen: acer(.)co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.MRVEK.007
    > Thank you :)

I can tell you something. That laptop is great graphics wise. Check it yourself. www(.)notebookcheck(.)net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards(.)13849.0.html // The processor not so great. Honestly you can get an amazing custom computer with the double of specs on cyberpowerpc(.)com and I highly recommend building your own. It is not as hard as it seems and it will be a beast of a gaming computer and will save you money. Even though if you're looking for pre-built laptops that Acer is good or check this one out with more ram and processor speed up to 2.7ghz www(.)dell(.)com/us/p/inspiron-15-5547-laptop/pd?oc=fncwm2612h&model_id=inspiron-15-5547-laptop
    and you can get a switchable NVidia or AMD graphics card (choose one of the first 100 graphics card on notebookcheck) and that's it. Hope this helped xx
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    cherrieez wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a laptop to play sims 3 & 4 well. Could you tell what you think or any others that you think would be better for my budget? I live in the UK and my budget is about £650. Also is it better to spend money on a better graphics card and worse processor or vice versa, as I'm unsure of whether to shell out for an i7 or stick with i5 and have a better graphics card?<br />
    This is what I've chosen: acer(.)co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.MRVEK.007<br />
    Thank you :)
    The Nvidia GTX 850M in the acer Nitro is a good card.. its about the same as my GTX 765M and I can play the sims 3 and sims 4 fine on high settings.. (mine only is the 2GB version)
    Now the cpu can turbo boost to 2.7GHZ.. so its not all that bad.
    I would say for your budget its a good buy. I doubt you will have problems with the games.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited December 2014
    @gabsxsimmer & @chesterbigbird‌
    Thank you so much for the help!!! :) I've decided to keep looking around seeing as you said the processor wasn't great. I don't want to build a custom laptop (too much hassle and I'm not very tech savvy lol) I'd rather buy pre built. The dell laptop you sent a link to was US and I'd rather purchase from UK though, but thanks :)
    What do you think of these laptops?
    www(.)ebuyer(.)com/666609-hp-pavilion-15-laptop-k0w62ea-abu
    www(.)ebuyer(.)com/666488-hp-envy-15-laptop-j0b97ea-abu
    www(.)acer(.)co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.M74EK.008
    They have better cpu's than the first acer (I think) but I'm not sure if the graphics card will be enough to run the game at medium/high settings.
    Thanks in advance :D
    Post edited by cherrieez on
  • Options
    If I wait till I have more money I can get a better laptop... I was thinking of saving up for this. What do you think of this:
    www(.)selfridges(.)com/en/asus-n550jk-cm531h-laptop_933-10044-ASUSN550JKCM531H/
  • Options
    summermistx3summermistx3 Posts: 1,537 Member
    > @chesterbigbird said:<br />
    > gabsxsimmer wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > Where do you live? $540 wont get anything decent.<br />
    <br />
    I know :( But I already got a Lenovo Y40 with a decent graphics card. <br />
    <br />
    www(.)shop(.)lenovo(.)com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/<br />
    <br />
    I got the second one, and it has the AMD Radeon R9 M275 2GB Graphics Card, 8GB Ram and 500gb HDD. I checked the graphics card on notebookchek.com and it says it can run sims 3 and 4 on the highest settings which is good.<br />
    <br />
    It was $699 and I'm owing my parents money now haha. But do you think it will be a great option for sims 3 and 4 with all ep's and sp's and custom content? <br />
    <br />
    I also had another question, does anyone know which lighting mod is summermistx3 using in this post? forum(.)thesims3(.)com/jforum/posts/list/635124(.)page (screenshots)<br />
    <br />
    I find it amazingly beautiful. <br />
    <br />
    I live in Colombia.
    Yes, that graphics card should be able to handle all expansion packs and stuff packs on high settings for both Sims 3 & 4 :)

Thank you! The lighting mod I used can be found here. The creator is amazingly talented ^_^ I personally used an old version Fresh Cut Day (I haven't played sims in over a year).
    cherrieez wrote: »
    If I wait till I have more money I can get a better laptop... I was thinking of saving up for this. What do you think of this:<br />
    www(.)selfridges(.)com/en/asus-n550jk-cm531h-laptop_933-10044-ASUSN550JKCM531H/
    Definitely would help to wait out and save up for that. Keep within a 850M graphics card as that seems to currently be hot in the market. The processor and majority of the specs look great.
  • Options
    ngbryan0911ngbryan0911 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi summermistx3! I was just wondering whether my laptop would run the Sims 3 smoothly (a few minor knots here and there are fine) with my processor, graphics card and RAM amount

Object Hiding: On
    Advanced Rendering: Off
    Animation Smoothing: On
    Reflections: Mirrors Only
    Edge Smoothing: Low
    Visual Effects: Medium
    Sim Detail: Medium
    Lighting and Shadows: Medium
    Tree Detail: Medium
    Draw Distance: High
    High Detail Lots: 1
    Texture Detail: Medium

I have all TS3 EPs installed EXCEPT World Adventures and all stuff packs EXCEPT Fast Lane Stuff and Movie Stuff. Just for extra info, I disabled Pets and Horses under population so they won't be victims of routing issues in certain worlds and so clog my game up less.

I'm use a HP Probook 4530s, an Intel HD Graphics Family Integrated Graphics Card, a Core i3 clocked at 2.1Ghz, 6GB of DDR3 1333Mhz PC10800 RAM, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have Overwatch, Errortrap and Master Controller installed and those are my only mods. I guess 35 or so articles of Custom Content, some store content, I think 11 or 12 months out of 72 months. Sorry about not providing exact values, I'm on holiday so I don't have access to my computer, I would try to post when I get back ASAP. So... Can I run the game on the above mentioned settings? It would be great if you answered me, thank you SO much. ☺☺. I am free to accept any suggestions about graphic controls, computer settings and basicallt anything because I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this so any suggestions are very welcomed thanks!!!
  • Options
    Sorry to bother you again summermistx3, I have a question to ask you. Will this laptop run the Sims 3 with all its expansion packs and stuff packs on medium high settings?

HP Envy 14t
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    4th Gen Intel Core i5-4210U
    2GB NVIDIA Geforce 840M
    8GB DDR3L RAM (1x8GB)
    750GB 5400rpm
    4-cell 48Whr Battery

For $639.99, its on Christmas Special haha. Anyways, thanks for creating this thread, it's really useful for laptop simmers like me and MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!
  • Options
    Sorry to bother you again summermistx3, I have a question to ask you. Will this laptop run the Sims 3 with all its expansion packs and stuff packs on medium high settings?<br />
    <br />
    HP Envy 14t<br />
    Windows 8.1 64 bit<br />
    4th Gen Intel Core i5-4210U<br />
    2GB NVIDIA Geforce 840M<br />
    8GB DDR3L RAM (1x8GB)<br />
    750GB 5400rpm<br />
    4-cell 48Whr Battery<br />
    <br />
    For $639.99, its on Christmas Special haha. Anyways, thanks for creating this thread, it's really useful for laptop simmers like me and MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!! You're being no bother!! I personally have an HP with the 650M and an i5 processor (that goes up to 3.1 GHz), however that laptop goes up to 2.7 GHz. And the the 840M is neck-to-neck in performance with the 650M, so I can confirm you can play on medium-high settings with all expansion packs. You get what you pay for, but that is a great deal for the price. If you've came across any other laptop deals you have questions about before your final purchase, feel free to stop it by this thread!
  • Options
    Thanks for replying and sorry again
  • Options
    Hi again! I have another question for you, sorry.

I was just wondering whether my laptop would run the Sims 3 smoothly (a few minor knots here and there are fine) with my processor, graphics card and RAM amount

I have all TS3 Expansion Packs installed EXCEPT World Adventures and Pets and all stuff packs EXCEPT Fast Lane Stuff, Movie Stuff and 70s, 80s, and 90s Stuff.

I use a HP Probook 4530s, an Intel HD Graphics Family (Intel HD 3000) Integrated Graphics Card, a Core i3 clocked at 2.1Ghz, 6GB of DDR3 1333Mhz PC10800 RAM, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have Overwatch, Errortrap and Master Controller and a Fresh Cut Day lighting mod installed and those are my only mods. I guess 35 or so articles of Custom Content, some store content, I think 13 or 14 months out of 72 months and have Dragon Valley, Lucky Palms, Hidden Springs, Lunar Lakes and Riverview as my installed worlds. Sorry about not providing exact values, I'm on holiday so I don't have access to my computer, I would try to post when I get back ASAP. So... Can I run the game on the above mentioned settings? It would be great if you answered me, thank you SO much. ☺☺. I am free to accept any suggestions about graphic controls, computer settings and basically anything because I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this so any suggestions are very welcomed thanks!!!
  • Options
    justbricejustbrice Posts: 348 Member
    @summermistx3: I was thinking of getting the Lenovo Y410. Unfortunately, they've been temporary unavailable for a while now. I don't know when they'll restock it. Would you recommend Y410 with AMD Radeon™ R9 M270? or Y50 with NVIDIA GTX 860M graphics? If not, what other laptops would you recommend for The Sims 3 or 4?
  • Options
    Hi again! I have another question for you, sorry. <br />
    <br />
    I was just wondering whether my laptop would run the Sims 3 smoothly (a few minor knots here and there are fine) with my processor, graphics card and RAM amount<br />
    <br />
    Object Hiding: On<br />
    Advanced Rendering: Off<br />
    Animation Smoothing: On<br />
    Reflections: Mirrors Only<br />
    Edge Smoothing: Low<br />
    Visual Effects: Medium<br />
    Sim Detail: Medium<br />
    Lighting and Shadows: Medium<br />
    Tree Detail: Medium<br />
    Draw Distance: High<br />
    High Detail Lots: 1<br />
    Texture Detail: Medium<br />
    <br />
    I have all TS3 Expansion Packs installed EXCEPT World Adventures and Pets and all stuff packs EXCEPT Fast Lane Stuff, Movie Stuff and 70s, 80s, and 90s Stuff.<br />
    <br />
    I use a HP Probook 4530s, an Intel HD Graphics Family (Intel HD 3000) Integrated Graphics Card, a Core i3 clocked at 2.1Ghz, 6GB of DDR3 1333Mhz PC10800 RAM, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have Overwatch, Errortrap and Master Controller and a Fresh Cut Day lighting mod installed and those are my only mods. I guess 35 or so articles of Custom Content, some store content, I think 13 or 14 months out of 72 months and have Dragon Valley, Lucky Palms, Hidden Springs, Lunar Lakes and Riverview as my installed worlds. Sorry about not providing exact values, I'm on holiday so I don't have access to my computer, I would try to post when I get back ASAP. So... Can I run the game on the above mentioned settings? It would be great if you answered me, thank you SO much. ☺☺. I am free to accept any suggestions about graphic controls, computer settings and basically anything because I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this so any suggestions are very welcomed thanks!!!
    Honestly, when it comes to playing sims on the Intel HD Graphics cards, it's a different experience for everyone (and a hit or a miss as well). If I were you, I'd play around with the settings and monitor your FPS (bring up the cheat bar and type 'fps on') and just make sure when you zoom in & out and move around the game, the FPS doesn't go below 10 (when you hit 0, you crash). The higher your settings, the lower your FPS is. Also make sure it's not lagging for you and your gameplay responses timely as you want it.
    justbrice wrote: »
    @summermistx3: I was thinking of getting the Lenovo Y410. Unfortunately, they've been temporary unavailable for a while now. I don't know when they'll restock it. Would you recommend Y410 with AMD Radeon™ R9 M270? or Y50 with NVIDIA GTX 860M graphics? If not, what other laptops would you recommend for The Sims 3 or 4?
    The 860M is better than the Radeon M270 (and the 750M which the Y410 comes with), and would definitely help in the long run. However, apparently there's been reviews on the Lenovo Y50 model that has described the laptops having a rather dull, less colourful screen than other laptops at a similar price point. So if that would be a problem to you, you can go through these models. You should google for external reviews of any model you're interested in outside the newegg site for a broader idea and input :)
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Hi again! I have another question for you, sorry. <br />
    <br />
    I was just wondering whether my laptop would run the Sims 3 smoothly (a few minor knots here and there are fine) with my processor, graphics card and RAM amount<br />
    <br />
    Object Hiding: On<br />
    Advanced Rendering: Off<br />
    Animation Smoothing: On<br />
    Reflections: Mirrors Only<br />
    Edge Smoothing: Low<br />
    Visual Effects: Medium<br />
    Sim Detail: Medium<br />
    Lighting and Shadows: Medium<br />
    Tree Detail: Medium<br />
    Draw Distance: High<br />
    High Detail Lots: 1<br />
    Texture Detail: Medium<br />
    <br />
    I have all TS3 Expansion Packs installed EXCEPT World Adventures and Pets and all stuff packs EXCEPT Fast Lane Stuff, Movie Stuff and 70s, 80s, and 90s Stuff.<br />
    <br />
    Honestly, when it comes to playing sims on the Intel HD Graphics cards, it's a different experience for everyone (and a hit or a miss as well). If I were you, I'd play around with the settings and monitor your FPS (bring up the cheat bar and type 'fps on') and just make sure when you zoom in & out and move around the game, the FPS doesn't go below 10 (when you hit 0, you crash). The higher your settings, the lower your FPS is. Also make sure it's not lagging for you and your gameplay responses timely as you want it.

I completely agree with you about the Intel HD graphics. I all the EPS and all but 2 SPs installed with mods and Ive heard it was a small chance that the game would run so well with everything installed and it wasn't recommended as it could damage the chip. I rarely play TS3 longer than 2 hours on my Mac and I have Intel HD 3000 as well so I guess i'm lucky enough to be able to play the game so well with medium settings and it still looks good. I just don't recommend everyone with this graphics card to take a chance like I did.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    [quote="EAfan99;13103688"][quote="summermistx3;13103673"][quote="ngbryan0911;13101566"]Hi again! I have another question for you, sorry.

I was just wondering whether my laptop would run the Sims 3 smoothly (a few minor knots here and there are fine) with my processor, graphics card and RAM amount

I have all TS3 Expansion Packs installed EXCEPT World Adventures and Pets and all stuff packs EXCEPT Fast Lane Stuff, Movie Stuff and 70s, 80s, and 90s Stuff.

I use a HP Probook 4530s, an Intel HD Graphics Family (Intel HD 3000) Integrated Graphics Card, a Core i3 clocked at 2.1Ghz, 6GB of DDR3 1333Mhz PC10800 RAM, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I have Overwatch, Errortrap and Master Controller and a Fresh Cut Day lighting mod installed and those are my only mods. I guess 35 or so articles of Custom Content, some store content, I think 13 or 14 months out of 72 months and have Dragon Valley, Lucky Palms, Hidden Springs, Lunar Lakes and Riverview as my installed worlds. Sorry about not providing exact values, I'm on holiday so I don't have access to my computer, I would try to post when I get back ASAP. So... Can I run the game on the above mentioned settings? It would be great if you answered me, thank you SO much. ☺☺. I am free to accept any suggestions about graphic controls, computer settings and basically anything because I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this so any suggestions are very welcomed thanks!!![/quote]

I completely agree with you about the Intel HD graphics. I all the EPS and all but 2 SPs installed with mods and Ive heard it was a small chance that the game would run so well with everything installed and it wasn't recommended as it could damage the chip. I rarely play TS3 longer than 2 hours on my Mac and I have Intel HD 3000 as well so I guess i'm lucky enough to be able to play the game so well with medium settings and it still looks good. I just don't recommend everyone with this graphics card to take a chance like I did. [/quote]

Thanks for such a speedy answer summermistx3! These settings are recommended by Neoseeker so I think I can try lowering some settings like maybe Sim Detail? I don't know but thanks, I will take your suggestions and make sure it doesn't go below 10, not below 30 if possible. I just wasn't sure whether it could run properly because before I upgraded my RAM amount, I only had 2GB on similar settings and it lagged very heavily. Took me about 15-20 minutes to sculpt one sim. Thanks again!!

Wow EAfan99, you must have lucked out with the game! I personally don't play for a very long time in one sitting and I make sure I clear my caches before and after my gameplay! Hope this helps everyone experiencing gameplay issues
  • Options
    > @summermistx3 said:
    >
    > The 860M is better than the Radeon M270 (and the 750M which the Y410 comes with), and would definitely help in the long run. However, apparently there's been reviews on the Lenovo Y50 model that has described the laptops having a rather dull, less colourful screen than other laptops at a similar price point. So if that would be a problem to you, you can go through these models. You should google for external reviews of any model you're interested in outside the newegg site for a broader idea and input.

That sucks to hear that Lenovo Y50 laptops are dull and less colourful screen. I heard AMD Radeon™ R9 M270 is okay. NVIDIA GTX 850M or in your case the NVIDIA GTX 750M is better. I think I'll just stick with NVIDIA GTX 750M. As long as I find a laptop with NVIDIA GTX 750M, then it should be okay? Does it have to certain brands? I actually found some Lenovo Y410 on Amazon.com. There was mixed reviews about it.
  • Options
    stephjeancavestephjeancave Posts: 6 New Member
    I am soooo grateful to find this thread! I was given a very expensive gift of a laptop and I can not tell them they did the wrong thing, but the graphics card is supposed to be the best. I just got an error when starting the sims 3 after loading. I have the Nvidia gtx 850m and I am having freezing and slow play. This laptop even has solid state drive so I was expecting fast play. What do I do? Please help
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    justbrice wrote: »
    > @summermistx3 said: <br />
    > <br />
    > The 860M is better than the Radeon M270 (and the 750M which the Y410 comes with), and would definitely help in the long run. However, apparently there's been reviews on the Lenovo Y50 model that has described the laptops having a rather dull, less colourful screen than other laptops at a similar price point. So if that would be a problem to you, you can go through these models. You should google for external reviews of any model you're interested in outside the newegg site for a broader idea and input.<br />
    <br />
    That sucks to hear that Lenovo Y50 laptops are dull and less colourful screen. I heard AMD Radeon™ R9 M270 is okay. NVIDIA GTX 850M or in your case the NVIDIA GTX 750M is better. I think I'll just stick with NVIDIA GTX 750M. As long as I find a laptop with NVIDIA GTX 750M, then it should be okay? Does it have to certain brands? I actually found some Lenovo Y410 on Amazon.com. There was mixed reviews about it.
    The 750M should give you near equivalent performance as my 650M. It should play smooth on a mixture of medium-high settings with ALL expansion and stuff packs (if you install some of them, you can manage all high settings). But of course screen resolution is also a slight factor, the smaller it is, the higher you can pull your settings up on (like on the Y410 for instance).

As for certain brands, I've had a handful of people do my survey whom bought a Lenovo (if you're patient enough to go through, some have mentioned their exact laptop models). Depending on your budget, ASUS is great, so are Sager & MSIs for better gaming. Personally having been a fan of simblrs, I've witnessed people simming on a variety of laptop brands ranging from HP, to Dell, as well as more high-end brands; I feel as long as you've got a strong graphics card, the rest should fall into place regardless of a laptop's brand.
    I am soooo grateful to find this thread! I was given a very expensive gift of a laptop and I can not tell them they did the wrong thing, but the graphics card is supposed to be the best. I just got an error when starting the sims 3 after loading. I have the Nvidia gtx 850m and I am having freezing and slow play. This laptop even has solid state drive so I was expecting fast play. What do I do? Please help
    Hey there :) I personally don't have much experience dealing with game errors and freezing to help with that portion, but your new laptop with the 850M (which should play ALL expansion and stuff packs on high settings) probably is using its switchable Intel HD graphics card upon game startup instead of the NVIDIA. I definitely suggest you post your own thread on the technical discussion subsection if you haven't done so yet on going through the proper steps to confirm your NVIDIA graphics card is recognized by the game and is being used during play.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    @stephjeancave‌ @summermistx3‌

Yeah I agree. What laptop do you have exactly? That'll help determine whether or not your laptop has a second graphics card. Usually (Not always) laptops with NIVIDA graphics have an Intel HD graphics card that automatically uses unless you switch over to the Nivida graphics card.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    The 750M should give you near equivalent performance as my 650M. It should play smooth on a mixture of medium-high settings with ALL expansion and stuff packs (if you install some of them, you can manage all high settings). But of course screen resolution is also a slight factor, the smaller it is, the higher you can pull your settings up on (like on the Y410 for instance).

As for certain brands, I've had a handful of people do my survey whom bought a Lenovo (if you're patient enough to go through, some have mentioned their exact laptop models). Depending on your budget, ASUS is great, so are Sager & MSIs for better gaming. Personally having been a fan of simblrs, I've witnessed people simming on a variety of laptop brands ranging from HP, to Dell, as well as more high-end brands; I feel as long as you've got a strong graphics card, the rest should fall into place regardless of a laptop's brand.

I just want to make sure this time I get a good laptop. I'm not picking just any one. I don't want it to overheat, then shuts down in the middle of my game. Sometimes it overheats, then shuts down when I'm saving a game too. I had to login to Origin, launch The Sims 3 Game Launcher, go into the world, and then into the lot. I have to start over again. I'll look around and see what brand of laptop would be the best to play The Sims. I'll keep in mind the NVIDIA GTX 750M.
  • Options
    stephjeancavestephjeancave Posts: 6 New Member
    I have the HP Envy 17 and I know he said he upgraded to something that was called "solid state drive" and a "dedicated graphics card". I don't know enough to know what all that means except he said he went out of his way to make it not slow anymore. I followed a you tube video that told me to put the sims3 file under the Nvidia card and I did, but I still have lagging and freezing and now I have a glitch that the parents won't put babies on the floor. lol
  • Options
    Jordog1128Jordog1128 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi. This thread is very helpful. I recently got a new laptop. It's an HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC with Windows 8.1. The processor is Intel(R) Core i5m CPU running at 2.6 GHz with turbo boost up to 3.3 GHz. I have 8GB of RAM installed and graphics are integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600. These graphics are not supported but the game still plays. I was just wondering if this game could potentially cause damage to my computer. Such as overheating, CPU damage, crashing, etc. If anyone has a similarly equipped computer, I'd love to hear what your experience has been like. I only have the base game. Thanks.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Jordog1128 wrote: »
    Hi. This thread is very helpful. I recently got a new laptop. It's an HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC with Windows 8.1. The processor is Intel(R) Core i5m CPU running at 2.6 GHz with turbo boost up to 3.3 GHz. I have 8GB of RAM installed and graphics are integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600. These graphics are not supported but the game still plays. I was just wondering if this game could potentially cause damage to my computer. Such as overheating, CPU damage, crashing, etc. If anyone has a similarly equipped computer, I'd love to hear what your experience has been like. I only have the base game. Thanks.
    hey @Jordog1128 heres my best take after seeing for a few years how integrated chips manage with the game. in short you are over extending its use and for a period of time this overreach will be ok but around the one year mark depending on your model it will start having issues to the point that the game will crash instead of launching or will crash randomly after playing for a short period of time

this is a sign that the system can no longer maintain the extra work. there are things you can try to slow down this situation see here http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Onboard_Graphics

the more you do now to help the overworked card the longer it should be ok,

as for the system barring any design flaws it should still be ok but perhaps a little slower at doing its intended tasks like web surfing once it can no longer do the added work of gaming, HTH.