Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Laptop* Graphics Card Information Zone [CALLING LAPTOP SIMMERS FOR A SURVEY + LAPTOP HELP HERE]

Comments

• Options
    CledgarCledgar Posts: 8 New Member
    My desktop computer recently broke, leaving me no longer able to play the Sims 3. I'm shopping for a new computer for school now, and I figured that maybe I could find one with the capacity to play the Sims 3, too, while I'm looking. :/ Unfortunately, even after weeks of researching, I know next-to-nothing about laptops or specs or any of that computer stuff, and school starts soon, so I should find myself a laptop soon. I have a budget of $1000, though I'm trying to look for something reasonably cheap -- I don't need a monster laptop or anything; I don't plan on playing any of the expansion packs, and at this point I'd rather play the Sims than not at all, so I'm not too picky about resolution or anything.

I'm looking at this one: laurier(.)com/new/new/showdesktop/20. Will it run the game decently? Also, because I'm not really sure (bad with tech stuff), its cheaper counterpart (laurier(.)com/new/new/showdesktop/24) is NOT able to run the Sims, right?
    Help is much appreciated. Thank you. (:
  • Options
    SungFishySungFishy Posts: 455 Member
    The first laptop linked has a workstation card, it is below the GT 630 due to lower clock. The cheaper laptop has an integrated chipset that wouldn't be able to play Sims 3 well. First laptop may be able to play on med-High settings, but may need more than 4GB of RAM.
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    Awesome, thank you! So for the first laptop, would 6GB of RAM be okay? Or should it be 8?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    8GB, it's good if you do other things with Sims running in the background
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    Okay, thank you so much! I think that's the one I'll get, then. :)
  • Options
    You're welcome! I was going to suggest this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314594&cm_re=gt_750m-_-34-314-594-_-Product but you don't play any EPs or SPs.
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    hizzhizz Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm looking to get a laptop for my mother for Christmas, specifically for playing the Sims (and maybe some light web browsing, but not much else). Is there any sub-$1000 laptop available that will reliably and smoothly play The Sims 3 and some/all of the expansion packs? I was looking at the MSI GP70 LEOPARD-010.
  • Options
    @hizz Again, I would recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314594
    Same RAM, better CPU and GPU.
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    hizzhizz Posts: 4 New Member
    Ugh, I don't know how on earth I missed that post. Thanks! I'll aim for that then.
  • Options
    robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    I found this desktop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227505 is it good enough for the sims or do you recommend a another one
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I found this desktop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227505 is it good enough for the sims or do you recommend a another one
    That's a good pc, the graphics card is what I would recommend.. whats your budget? you might be able to customize one through cyber power website.. you get to choose your parts .
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    hahaha PLUM POWER.. since when does C Y B E R need to be censored
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    SimplyBreaSimplyBrea Posts: 145 Member
    Hii, have anyone noticed lag with Nraas? I had issues with lag and every since I reset my game (took out EA folder) and it was blasting fast... but then soon I put back my Nraas Mods in along with CC I seen the lag again.. I tweaked the settings and it got better but I'm trying to figure out what causes the lag? I have dual core i5-4200m.. but it seems fine anyway.. any help would be appreciated :)
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited August 2014

SimplyBrea wrote: »
    Hii, have anyone noticed lag with Nraas? I had issues with lag and every since I reset my game (took out EA folder) and it was blasting fast... but then soon I put back my Nraas Mods in along with CC I seen the lag again.. I tweaked the settings and it got better but I'm trying to figure out what causes the lag? I have dual core i5-4200m.. but it seems fine anyway.. any help would be appreciated :)
    No but it could be your cc is too much for both processor and card, I would keep cc low or try bundling package files, see simswiki for how or search here for -thread. if that doesnt work as you know this isn't a general help thread for laptops, so create a thread

For nraas q ask at nraas
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hahaha PLUM POWER.. since when does C Y B E R need to be censored
    Hey sung! And Chester it's always been censored for :)
  • Options
    DecrainDecrain Posts: 893 Member
    The Nraas Story Progression is the one that makes a lot of lag. It was a known issue when Twallan was around and he said not much can be done with that. If you're using this particular mod try to take it out and check it out.
  • Options
    MeglinnMeglinn Posts: 12 New Member
    Hello!

I was hoping someone could assist me with selecting a new laptop. I want one that will flawlessly run The SIms 2, 3, and 4, as well as something adequate for Internet browsing and school work (primarily Word and PowerPoint.) I'm looking to spend around $1000.

These are the models I am torn between:
    Asus N56JN-EB71
    Asus N56JR-EH71
    Asus R510DP-FH11
    MSI GP60 Leopard-009
    Lenovo Y50
  • Options
    Meglinn wrote: »
    Hello!<br />
    <br />
    I was hoping someone could assist me with selecting a new laptop. I want one that will flawlessly run The SIms 2, 3, and 4, as well as something adequate for Internet browsing and school work (primarily Word and PowerPoint.) I'm looking to spend around $1000.<br />
    <br />
    These are the models I am torn between:<br />
    Asus N56JN-EB71<br />
    Asus N56JR-EH71<br />
    Asus R510DP-FH11<br />
    MSI GP60 Leopard-009<br />
    Lenovo Y50

Hi :)
    I would go with the eh71.. the gtx 760M is better than the first one, Msi is good but not as good as the eh71 plus they are over priced for what you get.
    Cant tell you about the Lenovo because I think there are a few y50.
    So my suggestion is this :
    http://asuslaptopsreview.com/reviews/asus-n56jr-eh71-review/

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    SimplyBreaSimplyBrea Posts: 145 Member
    Hmm ever since I took Nraas SP out, the game was fast but I really like the Nraas SP instead of EA SP.. :/ lol I guess I will have to tweak it some more.
  • Options
    FappyacidsFappyacids Posts: 79 Member
    @SungFishy The Acer Aspire that you recommended do you think that would be able to play both the sims 3 + several expansions, and the sims 4 on mid-high settings? Also would you recommend it for a college student? The size made me a bit uneasy but I think the bigger screen will be easier on my eyes.
  • Options
    According to the chart on the first page, yes the GT 750m can play TS3 on high with all EPs.. I didn't notice the weight of the laptop, so it mostly depends on you if you can handle the weight. Probably can play TS4 on ultra since it can play TS3 with all EPs
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    SungFishy wrote: »
    According to the chart on the first page, yes the GT 750m can play TS3 on high with all EPs.. I didn't notice the weight of the laptop, so it mostly depends on you if you can handle the weight. Probably can play TS4 on ultra since it can play TS3 with all EPs

The gt 750 might play ts3 on all high settings.. but will most likely have poor fps.
    Will play the sims 4.. but unsure of the settings.. at this stage I think everyone is just guessing.. I myself am unsure how well it will play on my laptop with gtx 765M.
    If ts4 is properly optimized then we should have no problems.. (lets hope EA does something good this time.)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    FappyacidsFappyacids Posts: 79 Member
    @chesterbigbird mmm. :\ So it won't run smoothly? I'm not sure of the important of fps as I'm not much of a gamer.
    I'll wait a bit and see, I probably won't buy a new laptop until after the sims 4 comes out so hopefully the specs are for sure then.
  • Options
    it will run smoothly.. but might need to lower a few settings.. fps stands for *frames per second.* Ideally it should be set at 60 fps for smooth performance, if you have a graphics card that has a hard time running the game at maxed out settings the fps will drop causing performance issues. that should be solved by lowering the settings.
    That card should run at medium/high for best performance.
    As ts4 goes.. it's going to be a guess lol, we will have to see how well the game is optimized, it might even play better than ts3 (I'm hoping so.)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,660 Member
    This is my latest purchase. It's been playing well although I had one memory crash, and it set itself on low settings and a couple of high settings. Since then I've eased the low to medium and a couple more to high and all seems well. How would you rate this for Sims3 and 4?
    (Can't believe it's now $100 less than I paid this time last week!!!)
    http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-15-3542-laptop/pd?oc=dx510404au&model_id=inspiron-15-3542-
    MLgj4Vx.png