Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Laptop* Graphics Card Information Zone [CALLING LAPTOP SIMMERS FOR A SURVEY + LAPTOP HELP HERE]

Comments

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Hi i have a question will Nvidia GeForce GTX 870M work with sims 3 with all high settings?

There are few things the 870m can't run :) and I'm assuming the rest if system is built to run the 870m properly

This is the laptop http://us.msi.com/product/nb/GT70-Dominator-Dragon.html#hero-overview i'm hoping this will run the sims 3.

ya you are set :) for sims 3 you do need to set up the second card 870m to run the game, you should also be prepared to do the same for 4 and possibly the demo

see here for how to set up sims 3 game http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/634204/please-read-this-and-help-me

Thanks! I just have a question will the computer be able to play the sims 3 on high settings?

Yea :) 870m is the tip top current best single laptop card - it's a beast so sims 3 on all high no problems, though I too have top tier card and don't have sims details on the highest. I find make up can look dark but I have amd card so test and if like mine just go to the second highest
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    twinklekz wrote: »
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1199&item_id=069032

Hey I think I am goin to get this laptop! I'm saving up and it will probably be Christmas by the time I can afford it lol! Something to look forward too! Hopefully will be good for TS3

Its a sweet gaming system, can handle 3 on all high with ease. Do see my link above for setting up the 860m to run the game. And how are you going set up storage i see the overview talks about super raid set up
  • Options
    twinklekztwinklekz Posts: 166 Member

Hey I think I am goin to get this laptop! I'm saving up and it will probably be Christmas by the time I can afford it lol! Something to look forward too! Hopefully will be good for TS3

Its a sweet gaming system, can handle 3 on all high with ease. Do see my link above for setting up the 860m to run the game. And how are you going set up storage i see the overview talks about super raid set up

Yeah I saw that in the overview but in the spec it just says Hard Drive: 1TB so that's confusing!
  • Options

Yeah I saw that in the overview but in the spec it just says Hard Drive: 1TB so that's confusing!

Hmmm in the states msi site ( well i probably should say at least last i checked) did not have the ability to customize, and it looks like your site just has one in stock so no custom option, if you are interested in a raid set up you can search for another online site - there are couple here in the states that do offer custom msi, perhaps there is one for you. also contact msi directly to ask - they can sale via sales dept (again as least in the states this is an option for me :) )

but myself have no need for raid configurations but perhaps the bios allows for you to do this yourself. like ssd cards can be cheaper bought like from amazon. if interested in setting your own configuration just pop by msi forum site and get someone one to confirm the bios allows it

• Options
    I had a quick search and doesn't seem to be any custom msi sites in Canada! I'll keep looking. If I order from the states I have to pay tax on it when it enters Canada so could end up way too expensive! On ncix.com they have MSI GE70 with 8GB ram and GeForce GTX 850m for $1199.99 and another option of 12GB ram with the GTX 860m for $1349.99. I am wondering if there is much difference between these 2 when it comes to the Sims! I wouldn't mind saving a bit of money if the slightly cheaper one handles it just as well!
  • Options
    I had a quick search and doesn't seem to be any custom msi sites in Canada! I'll keep looking. If I order from the states I have to pay tax on it when it enters Canada so could end up way too expensive! On ncix.com they have MSI GE70 with 8GB ram and GeForce GTX 850m for $1199.99 and another option of 12GB ram with the GTX 860m for $1349.99. I am wondering if there is much difference between these 2 when it comes to the Sims! I wouldn't mind saving a bit of money if the slightly cheaper one handles it just as well!

for msi custom here's this option they may ship to CA https://www.powernotebooks.com/Custom-Laptops-by-MSI-cat-185.html

for the two new options can you share links so i can see other info like processor, thanks
  • Options
    http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/94900#sthash.PnIyoY9D

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/94901#sthash.PnIyoY9D.sfju

Here they are! I think the more expensive one is the same as the one I shared yesterday! I'll have a look at the site you shared when I get home from work later! :D
  • Options
    SungFishySungFishy Posts: 455 Member
    edited August 2014
    @robotpanda34 ,The GT70 is better. It has a GTX 870m, better than the other one you linked (GTX 850m.) It has more video memory than the 850m(3gb vs 2gb). The CPU in the GT70 is much stronger. The GT70 has less RAM than the GS60 though.
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    SungFishy wrote: »
    @robotpanda34 ,The GT70 is better. It has a GTX 870m, better than the other one you linked (GTX 850m.) It has more video memory than the 850m(3gb vs 2gb). The CPU in the GT70 is much stronger.
    Ah ok
  • Options
    DecrainDecrain Posts: 893 Member
    I can't say more, than that I agree with @SungFishy
  • Options
    floydsastarfloydsastar Posts: 17 Member
    I've been looking for new laptop since my Macbook Pro is about a thousand years old and is nowhere near the minimum standard to play Sims 3 on (or really do anything on. I have played Sims on it plenty of times, but it's always a mess). I'm hoping to find a decent one within the next month and this thread has been really helpful because I know zero about computers lol.

These are two I've looked at recently:
    1) the cheaper(ish) option: toshiba(.)com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/S50/S50-ABT3N22
    -4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    -Windows 8.1
    -1 month trial for new Office 365 customers
    -8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 4GB)
    -1TB (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
    -2GB DDR3 NVIDIA ® GeForce® GT 740M with Optimus™ Technology
    -Blu-ray Disc™ RE with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer drive
    -No Touchscreen
    -Premium Raised Tile Keyboard LED Backlit with 10-key (black)
    -Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n) (150Mbps)
    -Norton™ Internet Security 2013 (30-day trial subscription)
    -1 Year Standard Limited Warranty (1 Year on Battery

2) the pricier option: shop(.)lenovo(.)com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/?sb=:000001C9:000120E5:
    -Processor:4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
    -Operating System:Windows 8.1 64
    -Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB
    -Memory:8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
    -Display:15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
    -Hard Drive:Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
    -Optical Drive:EXTERNAL BLU-Ray/DVD-RW
    -Battery:4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion
    -Bluetooth:Bluetooth Version 4.0
    -Warranty:One year
    -Network Card:Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Any/all help is massively appreciated! :)

p.s. sorry for the nonlink links. i got an error message when i first tried to post saying i needed to be "around a little while longer" before i can post comments with links. :\
  • Options
    @floydsastar Both laptops can play the Sims 3 on high settings, but the Lenovo one is better.
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    floydsastarfloydsastar Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2014
    oh snap I didn't expect a reply this fast! Thanks so much!
  • Options
    You're welcome :)
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    DecrainDecrain Posts: 893 Member
    Actually, the first one is ok, but I wouldn't expect it run on highest settings with all EPs and SPs and a huge amount of CC (I have similar laptop but with 750 graphics and it lags a tiny bit on medium-high settings). It'll play nice if you don't have all EPs (especially those graphic demanding like Pets, Seasons, Island Paradise).

The second one is the one to go with if you have a lot of expansion packs and a lot of CC.

That's just my 2 cents ;)
  • Options
    Is there much difference between the GT745, and the GTX850? I've noticed a big jump in price!
  • Options
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    @SungFishy thank you! That's a cool website! I'm also tryin to decide between a GTX850 and 860 and it was cool to compare them!
  • Options
    You're welcome :)
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    piglovinggirlpiglovinggirl Posts: 124 Member
    edited August 2014
    First of all, I know using Intel graphics and integrated graphics are both bad ideas when it comes to Sims, un/fortunately, this was a "need to replace ASAP because last computer died in the middle of a college term" situation, so with grandparents chipping in to replace, I had to fit within their budget and they did not listen to all of my spec requests. I had always planned to replace with a better graphics card, but haven't done that yet. But my gameplay is not too bad, especially considering I use two of the highest demand expansions - seasons and pets.

1. Intel HD Graphics 4000 (came with the Asus laptop) aprox. total memory 1792MB
    2. World Adventure, Ambitions, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons
    3. Master Suite, Diesel, 70s/80s/90s
    4. No mods
    5. Don't have a folder called "Mods" so not sure where to find this.... "Downloads" subfolder (under The Sims 3 folder) is 83.1MB
    6. What is the FPS (please type in "fps on" in the game cheat console to find an average number on the top right corner)?
    7. Please post a screenshot of your game settings (use print screen key during gameplay then paste into Paint).
    8. In game screen shots are welcome!

will add the last two next time I open game (probably later this evening)
    Post edited by piglovinggirl on
  • Options
    Just wondering if I should get the 15.6 or 17.3? They have slightly different specs. I've never had a 17.3 before!

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=069031
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The 17.3 inch has better specs, but it depends if you want a smaller laptop for carrying around a lot.
    EDIT: Just realized they are just 0.67 lbs apart.
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Just wondering if I should get the 15.6 or 17.3? They have slightly different specs. I've never had a 17.3 before!

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=069031

Get the 17.3.. things are just too small with 15.6 on the 1920x1080 resolution. I'm finding that out the hard way lol. *squints to see the screen*

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    My current laptop weighs 5.41lbs! Il put books or something on it and carry it around to make it the same weight as the 17.3 lol!! I just use my laptop in my apartment! When I fly home to visit my family in Ireland it will come too! I bring my old one in a sleeve and then put it in my little wheely suitcase! (And then guard it with my life!!) so hopefully the extra weight won't be a problem!!