Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,215 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I shouldn't have assumed unicorns would be included just because TS3 had them. Oh well. 🙃

Unicorns are still possible:

The very best part – Foals can be born on your ranch! That’s right, players can have their Horses nuzzle under the stars to make the perfect little Foal, a combination of both of its parents…and they may even unlock a unique Trait.

Oh unicorns, I wonder if we can controlled horses.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    After watching the trailer I feel really underwhelmed, and I went in with low expectations.

Sure the horses themselves look well done, but... They were well done in TS3 Pets, which came with dogs, cats, horses, birds, reptiles, a huge world and more.

I see an empty-looking world full of shells which looks pretty but otherwise lacks gameplay. Where have we seen that before...

I was at least hoping for some small surprises such as rocking horses for kids or the mechanical bull, but... Alas.

Obviously this is only a first impression and more details will be revealed as well get closer to release, but at the moment it looks... Shallow.

Yeah the rocking horse is a good idea and should have come with this pack also. Maybe even add trampolines and hopscotch at the very least. They could have even added birds and reptiles back. This pack is really disappointing.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,276 Member
    edited June 2023
    I'm positive about this pack but there are 2 points that bother me a little
    • Missing Native American art and culture [Edit : at least in the trailer, I'm waiting for the item list and gameplay]
    • Missing cactus and desert plants, the world is Willow Creek with a canyon. Too lush, not dry enough and dead.

Landscape in Western movies

maxres34.jpg
    the_gr10.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    I love that there is rep for indigenous people, and the goats are cute, but that's all the positives I got from that trailer. I still don't understand why miniature goats/sheep came with this pack. It really feels like they added them to try to qualify this as an EP instead of a GP. I still believe nectar making should've been in MWS, my stance won't ever change on that. I hope the goats at least have depth too. Those kinds of goats love to play and exercise so I hope there's things for them to do in this pack that are interactive and playful.

I agree with what others have said, that the horses seem just like the ones from TS3, so far not much makes them stand out and makes them unique from TS3 Pets EP. I suppose time will only tell once more info and a gameplay trailer releases. As of right now, this seems like a GP, which seems to be a common theme with TS4 pack releases lately.

I agree that I didn't want this to be the expansion pack. I wanted it to be fairies. In fact when they were pushing them at the same time I was even willing to entertain them combined somehow. But ideally I wanted a Fae expansion and maybe a horses gamepack.

The fae expansion would not be focused on a bunch of other stuff like Island Living and leave the Mermaids half baked. It would be heavily focused on the variety of fae and their world(s). And they could fix mermaid while they were at it by saying they are a type of fae. They could even bring in the genies. And tie in separate lore from the Spellcaster trilogy going on. They could allude to magical steeds that have gone into the mists and will return soon.

And then the next GP is horses, but also steeds. And you get cross pack integration. Or you do it the other way and do the GP first idc.

I like the goats and sheep. But they honestly seem like the answer to alot of players complaining about how they managed lactose intolerance, making it a trait, making it so unrealistic in gameplay, and the fact that sims won't refuse the food so simmers are likely to forget. Just like with vegetarian. For awhile we were asking for another option, something easier than the plant milk. Especially with simple living, if you were trying to be self-sufficient. Or just wanted to do the Cottagecore vibes. I was one of the simmers asking for a goat. I definitely saw other simmers asking for more types of wool, more options to craft with. Because it had already gotten a bit repetitive. And the sheds were a bit annoying.
    I think I kinda thought at least some new lactose free options would be basegame. Not tossed behind another paywall. But I guess it makes sense from their end, the posion came behind a paywall, so the cure is behind another one in it's twin pack. Same with the new wool. Plus like you said, it beefs up the pack. If they had actually just given them to us; if they had done something like, "this is free but you must have Cottage Living installed", kind of like how they made that kit but only console players got it, or that family portrait that you had to play the sims mobile for within a certain period of time(and it didn't even recognize that I did and kept going in and out of my game for years), then this would just be a really good gamepack.
    A pack a lot of simmers would be happy about. After all it's literally an extension of Cats and Dogs and Cottage Living. We already had two expansion that could've and should've handled this in some way shape or form. Making a 3rd is still gonna annoy people and build enmity even if they buy your products for now. But if you make it a well thought out gamepack, with a lower price point, just covering the areas you missed, fleshing it out fully, and leaving room for a Fully fleshed out expansion pack later. Much fewer issues.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,407 Member
    Dwarf goat probably means no goat milk.

Milking the goats is confirmed in the descriptions.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,189 Member
    @LeGardePourpre
    Together with The Sims team, Stacey worked to co-create food, home items, and clothing that are represented in Horse Ranch, reflecting elements of Native American culture.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,276 Member
    edited June 2023
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    @LeGardePourpre
    Together with The Sims team, Stacey worked to co-create food, home items, and clothing that are represented in Horse Ranch, reflecting elements of Native American culture.

Not visible in the trailer but thank you very much for this info.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I was really, really really hoping for a music/bands pack.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    I still don't understand why miniature goats/sheep came with this pack. It really feels like they added them to try to qualify this as an EP instead of a GP.

I see what you mean but I do also see a genuine reason to add them if they’re going for an authentic ranch experience. A lot of ranches have these sort of animals. They sell their wool/hair and they’re often used to entertain kids like in the trailer.

• Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,106 Member
    Honestly, my only complaints are NEED MORE HOUSEHOLD SLOTS and need to be able to control pets. Without mods, mkay? Cause with one misclick, I can wipe out all of my sims/pets over 8 if I'm not careful, and that's just not cool.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member

Yeah, but I'm worried about this, because it specifically said that you could shear the sheep and milk the goats "for Simoleans." I'm concerned this means that we won't be able to actually get/use the wool and goat milk.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,411 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Yeah, but I'm worried about this, because it specifically said that you could shear the sheep and milk the goats "for Simoleans." I'm concerned this means that we won't be able to actually get/use the wool and goat milk.

I noticed that too, but in one of the leaked pictures you could see the sheep being shaven and there was a handful of wool beside it. Also, don't think they would literally milk the goats and get simoleons, but rather milk which could be sold for money.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I'm very annoyed by the fact that horses are gonna be household members, which means taking up one of the eight slots we have... and if you want more than one, then that's just another slot taken up... and another...

I've been peeved by this decision since 'Cats & Dogs'... it's ridiculous how we basically need to decide between more family members VS more pets... in previous games, pets had their own slots and didn't take up a slot from the human Sim household.

We should be able to have 8 Sims and 8 pets... without having to resort to using mods.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    Honestly, my only complaints are NEED MORE HOUSEHOLD SLOTS and need to be able to control pets. Without mods, mkay? Cause with one misclick, I can wipe out all of my sims/pets over 8 if I'm not careful, and that's just not cool.

This is exactly the first thing I thought of when I realized horses were gonna be "household members"... they need to either allow us to have more slots in the household, or remove pets from the slots entirely... because this is negatively impacting family players who want to also have pets in their stories.

Why couldn't they just let us have 8 slots for human Sims and 8 slots for pets? It's ridiculous.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    MichelleW wrote: »
    I'm still not sure what justifies this as an EP and not a GP. I guess I just need to see more.

They'll probably claim the world itself is what makes it an expansion pack... :|
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    Kai252018Kai252018 Posts: 76 Member
    Here we go with all the fake buildings again. Why have a town square if it's unusable. And still no oranges trees or corn fields or tractor.☹️
  • Options
    VyollaVyolla Posts: 77 Member
    I'm feeling pretty neutral at the moment. While I am excited for Horses and the new animals as the trailer showed off some really cute stuff... I'm kind of feeling like this is going to be very shallow game-play. I'm just not seeing why this needed to be an expansion pack (yet), instead of a game-pack.

The game-play looks like it's going to be about the animals and taking care of them. Since those were the main features.. So, I guess I'd just like to hear from the developers why they chose an expansion pack instead of a game-pack..

Now, while it does mention something about hiring help to "help out" around the Ranch... I'm curious if there's like some new interactive career where we can buy land, build a ranch, and try to take care of it and be able to have challenges of running a ranch, because that could be very interesting. Raising the "Cattle" etc to sell later, or will we be able to make different things (hopefully jams, wine, and stuff to make with the sheep wool to sell) I think that could help,, but I'll hold off on all of that until we hear further details. But still not exactly sure if it's expansion pack worthy.

The other pet peeve is the slots being taken up. I already have issues with adding cats/dogs to the family because they take up a slot and I have to use mods to help with that. :/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,977 Member
    edited June 2023
    I just realized why the start of the trailer was so weird

I feel like the horse is staring right ahead
    which reminds me of this :sweat_smile:
    ff063996f865989e476b8b8ee6292439.png
    please watcher no
    I sure hope that was the only instance of horse staring competition
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2023
    dogzdinner wrote: »
    I feel like they need to do something really really different next time though.

Agree, I really want the next pack to be something totally different. Apart from werewolves all the big packs from the past two years have been farmville/happy family type content, which I know a lot of people love so I'm happy for them but I really want to see something a bit less happy valley.

I think it's time for maybe something more urban, or something based on a new country and culture, or something that's more whacky and experimental.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,024 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    dogzdinner wrote: »
    I feel like they need to do something really really different next time though.

Agree, I really want the next pack to be something totally different. Apart from werewolves all the big packs from the past two and a half years have been farmville/happy family type content, which I know a lot of people love so I'm happy for them but I really want to see something a bit less happy valley.

I think it's time for maybe something more urban, or something based on a new country and culture, or something that's more whacky and experimental.
    Like dragons.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

This! What if I want to have a big multi-generational family living on a ranch with their dog, a couple of cats and some horses? The way things are now I wouldn't be able to unless I use a mod.

I'm also lodging my usual complaint about the world ahead of time. Because I know it's going to be small. I miss big Windenberg sized worlds.
  • Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    edited June 2023
    GP, GP,GP, GP,GP
    Making a bigger world to sneak my wallet
    Mechanic bull, Rocking horses, blacksmiths? Where are they?
    Equestrian barriers are even less than ones in dog training?
    I have searched for some small caprine breeds, not the same as the mini version in the game--what we get is just more like lambs.
    Milking lambs? Ewww, I can't stand it.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I was initially looking forward to the pack until I heard that horses take up a Sims slot. If they're not increasing the household limit, I really don't understand it. 2 parents, a horse, a dog/cat, a couple of kids. I don't see how your horses would ever be able to have foals...there's no space if you're a family player that enjoys big families.
    The world looks a bit lackluster to me. I don't mind another desert world. But it doesn't look much like a desert....where's the cactus and other desert like plants.
  • Options
    I was initially looking forward to the pack until I heard that horses take up a Sims slot. If they're not increasing the household limit, I really don't understand it. 2 parents, a horse, a dog/cat, a couple of kids. I don't see how your horses would ever be able to have foals...there's no space if you're a family player that enjoys big families.
    The world looks a bit lackluster to me. I don't mind another desert world. But it doesn't look much like a desert....where's the cactus and other desert like plants.

They should just give pets completely separate slots from the household members... it never made sense to me why they decided to make pets count as members of the main household, especially when past Sims games gave them their own "section" for slots. We should be able to have 8 sims and 8 pets, but that's not how they decided to do it... and it's honestly irritating!
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg