Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How traditional are your female sims?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
Happy International Women's Day!

Want to contribute to a not-so-serious survey?

My guess is that in most sim families the mom has higher cooking skills than dad. Not because the game requires it, but because you more often send your female to the kitchen. Let's find out if this is reality! :)

In your game please check 5 households that you played actively for minimum a sim week. Elderly couples might be the better, but no restriction.

The criteria is:

- Household must be in Willow Creek or Oasis Spring (If you don't play these worlds look elsewhere, but pls state what world you checked).
- Household must contain a formally established male/female couple (married or not, kids or not).
- Household shall not have a butler or any sort of live-in servants.
- Neither the Female nor Male can have a Food related aspiration.
- Check Cooking skills of Female and Male.
- You get 1 point for each couple where the Male has higher cooking skills than the Female.

What's your score?
Any comment on your result?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Ok, here's mine:

1) Dunn family in Willow Creek = 1 point (yay)
    2) Taylor family in Willow Creek = 0
    3) McGinnis family in Willow Creek = 0
    4) Banks family in Oasis Springs = 0
    5) Roberts family in Oasis Springs = 0

Lol. I have to admit that I do tend to follow stereotypes - you know, male sims doing the handy chores, the woodworking etc, females doing the cooking and cleaning. Really should get out of that habit!
  • Options
    Here's mine:

Oaksdale (Willow Farm, WC) = 0
    Mugger (Mugger Farm, WC) = 1 point
    Ferny (OS) = 0
    Rosewood (OS) = 0
    Morck (OS) = 0

Hm... I actually expected to score at least 3... in one case the elderly male had only 1 single skill point in cooking, ha!
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    edited March 2021
    Well, I don't play that many Sim families. I mostly play with single Sims. But, in the two families that I do play, the male & female both have max skills, they each have a career, & they take turns cooking & cleaning. In the one family that currently has children, the parents also take turns with child care, mentoring, & helping with homework.
    Post edited by EternalSunshine on
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    Here's mine
    Brooks Family (Strangerville)=Both maxed it
    Brooks/Nash Family (Sulani)=0
    Brooks/Behr Family (Sulani)=1
    Brooks/Fyres Family (Strangerville)= Both maxed it
    Brooks/Villareal Family (Strangerville)=1

This was interesting since in rl I think men should pull their weight around the kitchen to :D
  • Options
    BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    The only family I am currently playing is a lesbian couple. Though, Carys is the one who works and JoAnn does the childcare. Carys has higher cooking, so maybe a point for me?
    Laurels: 0.5
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited March 2021
    @Marinuttonen LOL, I almost exclusively play lesbians as well, so my ladies are always busy in the kitchen too by default ;)

I do play three heterosexual couples on my rotation though, so I checked in with them, though I don't really cook with them (I cheat needs a lot) so most of this is autonomous skill building on their parts lol. I will say I tend to be more invested in my lesbian couples and gameplay with them, so they probably all have better skills than these poor sims listed below.

The Keyes family, who lives in Willow Creek: 0
    Marin, level 6
    Desmond, level 2

The Goldstein family, who lives in Oasis Springs: 0
    Tallulah, level 6
    Fred, level 4

My mermaid couple in Sulani (not married yet): A tie? Still no points lol
    Alana, level 1
    Micah, level 1
    (These two are one of my newer couples so they have not built many practical skills apparently)

Ok, I fail lol. My few heterosexual couples are painfully traditional :D
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited March 2021
    One point for me! Yay! I was going to admit my defeat, but then I remembered my Selvadoradian couple in Oasis Springs. They're both engineers with a knack for handiness, but only the woman builds robots while her husband's focus lies more on computers and he's also a master chef. She can cook, too, but not as good as him.

Other than that, the closest thing I have is a patchwork family in Evergreen Harbor where the teenage son runs the household while his mother is busy with either her criminal endeavours or her much younger toy boy lover (who the son also has an affair with when she isn't looking). I don't play (straight) couples or traditional families often, but when I do, then yeah, the woman is usually the one doing the cooking. I guess some old stereotypes die hard.

Thanks for this fun survey! :D
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited March 2021
    1) Anaya 9 & Besnik 10, WC = 1

2) Kiara 10 (gourmet cooking 5) & Hisoka 10 (gourmet cooking 1), WC = 0

3) Prospero 5 & Henrietta 6, OS = 0

4) Unelma 10 & Jarno 7, OS = 0

5) Alex 10 (gourmet cooking 5) & Elsi 10 (gourmet cooking 3), OS = 1

I have some couples that prefer traditional gender roles and with that in mind I was surprised how even my couples cooking skills were. I guess I also like doing the opposite. I find in this game it's pretty hard to not learn how to cook unless you intentionally stop a sim from cooking. I had two ties which I solved with gourmet cooking skills. This was a fun and interesting exercise.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited March 2021
    I am currently playing a vampire family, so not much cooking involved here. Cleaning and repairs tends to be autonomously done by whoever discovers the mess. In general, both my male and female sims cook, clean, garden and care for children, depending of who happens to be free at the time.
  • Options
    Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited March 2021
    • The Shapiro Family (Oasis Springs) = 1
    Husband is a Chef, Wife is an Actress

• The Steel Family (Oasis Springs) = 1
    Husband is in the Military, Wife is a Doctor

• The Eubanks/Bhalla Family (Oasis Springs) = 1
    Husband is a Chef, Wife is an Athlete

• The Westbrook Family (Oasis Springs) = 0
    Husband is in Business career, Wife is Social Media career

• The Mungnari Family (Brindleton Bay) = 1
    Husband is a Stay-At-Home Dad, Wife is in the Business career

Generally, everyone who can cook participates. Not really gender specific roles in my households.

Does the aspiration also mean their career can’t be in Culinary? Because in that case I’d only have two points. 😅
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    1. Windenburg - Lorraine Fyres Oda (10)/Ichigo Oda (6) - 0 (because Lorraine is from my household and Ichigo was townie)
    2. San Myshuno - Flower Bunny (5)/Zion Champagne II (10) - 1 (for same reasons as first couple)
    3. San Myshuno - Arya Pia Champagne (10)/Tristan Champagne (10) - ?
    4. Willow Creek - Cora Goldman Xander (10)/Felix Goldman Xander (10) - ?
    5. Willow Creek - Aria Goldman Xander Lillard Durand :D (10)/Cecil Lillard Durand (10) - ?

My sims cook for themselves, I don't manage that.
  • Options
    Amj1995 wrote: »
    • The Shapiro Family (Oasis Springs) = 1
    Husband is a Chef, Wife is an Actress

• The Steel Family (Oasis Springs) = 1
    Husband is in the Military, Wife is a Doctor

• The Eubanks/Bhalla Family (Oasis Springs) = 1
    Husband is a Chef, Wife is an Athlete

• The Westbrook Family (Oasis Springs) = 0
    Husband is in Business career, Wife is Social Media career

• The Mungnari Family (Brindleton Bay) = 1
    Husband is a Stay-At-Home Dad, Wife is in the Business career

Generally, everyone who can cook participates. Not really gender specific roles in my households.

Does the aspiration also mean their career can’t be in Culinary? Because in that case I’d only have two points. 😅

I though of the career too late, so let's just say that each can exclude those couples if they feel like it. Working in Culinary will obviously help on the skills, but let's not take this survey too seriously, taking it into consideration like you just did goes a long way :)
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited March 2021
    This survey made me want to go make a family with a stay at home dad and a career mother (often both of the parents work). Why have I never done this before?? That's what I'll be doing later today when I have some time to play :)
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    I play males and females the same way. As the game fills out and more expected items like a recliner to put in front of the tv will have me doing more stereotypical scenarios like spouse lounging in the recliner while dinner is being made. I'd like to see some pet peeve kind of wild card moodlets in the future. Angry "..always on the computer while I'm doing the chores" kind of things.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Unfortunately for the sake of this survey, I currently have no hetero couples that I actively play. Interesting discussion, though. :)
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    edited March 2021
    I only ever play one or two families at a time so I don’t really qualify but a while ago I noticed that I mainly had my female sims working and being the breadwinner while my male sims looked after the babies. This wasn’t even intentional it was just how I was playing haha
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I don’t understand your point guideline. All my male and female sims have Max cooking level. I don’t want either one burning to death trying to cook breakfast at the stove, so once they’re teens they start to increase cooking skill.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    edited March 2021
    Because I have so few female-male couples, I included two households with a sister and brother living together as adults, just out of curiosity. All the rest of my actively played households are gay male couples, sims who just happen to live together (mostly men), or single dads. All of these pairs are young adults, because that's mainly what I play (with aging turned off).

The couples
    Beaufort-Morris, married, Brindleton Bay: Female at 2, male at 4 (plus baking)
    Winter, married, Oasis Springs: Both female and male at 10

The siblings
    Squires, twins, Strangerville: Female at 3, male at 7 (plus baking and gourmet)
    Westwind, sister and brother, Willow Creek: Female at 4, male at 8 (plus gourmet)

I usually just let them do as they please regarding food, so when they are hungry they may choose to cook or they may choose to eat leftovers or quick meals. But when I do direct one of them to cook, it's usually the man.

In two of the above households, the female sim is a scientist while the male sim mainly earns money through gardening. In one of them, the female sim has level 10 handiness while the male sim has level 2 handiness. And in one, the male sim has level 8 parenting while the female sim has level 5. So I think I just sort of lean toward playing my males more domestically in general.

It was interesting to take a look at these households, because I honestly wasn't sure. I don't play any of them very often, compared to my all-male households.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Oh dear.

My score would be a massive 0. No matter how many households I have. I don’t even have to look, it’s a guaranteed fail.
    In fact I’m so bad that I’d stop my male from cooking a meal so the female can do it. In my game she’d be the traditional homemaker and I would actually cheat her cooking skill to between 7 & 10 by default because of it.

Indeed, I’m so terrifyingly old fashioned that it’s probably best for me to apologize while I’m here. 😅

Ladies. I apologize. 😇
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    1. Stellar family, Glimmerbrook = 1
    The wife is a gardener and the husband is a paranormal investigator. Since he works at night, he prepares all the food during the day.

2. Kinross family, Windenburg = 0
    The family consists entirely of gardeners. The wife cooks.

3. LaVondra-Porter family, Oasis Springs = 1
    The girlfriend works in retail and the boyfriend works from home. They always buy take-out, but since the boyfriend is usually home, he'll prepare food more often.

4. Zephyr, San Myshuno = Tie
    Neither of them cook more than the other. But in my game, sims who attend a private school as teens must get about 3 skills in several courses. They both went to that school and both took Cooking as an elective.

5. Stellar-Aiba family, Mt. Komorebi = 0

The family is very traditional. The husband works as a fisherman and handyman, and the wife sells flower arrangements from home. The wife is always home, so she makes the food.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm too lazy to check everything, but I know that most of the male Sims of my traditional couples are better cooks than their wives or girlfriends. It's not intentional, I actually don't even know why it's so. It could be because I often start playing with a male Sim and he usually gains the cooking skill faster than the female who joins the household later. I never usually have just one Sim cook, I may prefer one of them doing most of it, but eventually the one who has better needs will do the cooking at the time.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I have no idea (cause i haven't checked) but in my saves whoever is the one to be hungry after the last leftovers are gone, is the one preparing the meal. So i think it may be tied.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    edited March 2021
    I guess I'm a much newer player than most of you ;) And I like playing a wide variety of different family types so I literally don't have any living hetero couples that I've played for a sim week. But here's as close as I can get.

Ragamuffin Jones and Cameron Fletcher, ghosts who've been married for 4 generations. Ragamuffin started as a freegan with the botanist aspiration so I knew that cooking from the garden was going to be her thing from the beginning. She maxed cooking early on and Cameron definitely hasn't. 0 points

Marcellus Jones (Ragamuffin and Cameron's son) and Karla Ely. Now deceased. Marcellus was a stay-at-home homeschooling dad who also did lots of gardening and garden cooking and had maxed cooking skill. Karla, like Cameron, was a techie who pretty much never cooked. 1 point

Richard and Eunice Park. They have been alive for just over a sim week but they're in a rotational game so I haven't played them for a week yet. Richard's cooking skill is 1 and Eunice doesn't even have a cooking skill! Their teen daughter Lydia, an aspiring chef, has cooking skill 3. Oddly, this couple is my most traditional gender-role couple of all time; the only reason Eunice hasn't cooked is a combination of Lydia's cooking and the fact that she's a stay-at-home mom with one kid who started as a toddler and one who just became a toddler and is all about the childcare all the time right now. 1 point

Happy international women's day!