The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA, nearly 20 years into the series, this is the kind of innovation that I love

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2019
    Felicity wrote: »
    There's always the possibility that EA will sue. They've done it before. Win or lose, they have deep enough pockets to drive out competition that way. I'm hoping they don't do that -- healthy competition is a good thing.

I don't think EA sued the company behind Cities Skylines. You can't legally own a video game genre. That would be like being the only one with the right to write a romance novel. If EA does sue, they'd better somehow prove life simulation isn't a genre and is only possible to make by using the specific, likely copyrighted programming in The Sims instead of original and separate programming. Considering Paralives uses a different engine, that will be difficult for EA.

They sued Zynga over copying the Sims. I'm not going to discuss whether Zynga is a good company (they are not), but when they tried their own life simulator, EA sued. It's possible it was too close -- Zynga is scummy (or was? No clue if they're still in business).

Here's the thing -- they settled the case out of court. No clue who would have won. OTOH, an indie dev would not have the same ability to fight a lawsuit. And builder games are a far wider genre than life simulators so it would be far more difficult to sue over those.

https://kotaku.com/ea-sues-zynga-says-the-ville-rips-off-the-sims-5931661
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    There's always the possibility that EA will sue. They've done it before. Win or lose, they have deep enough pockets to drive out competition that way. I'm hoping they don't do that -- healthy competition is a good thing.

I don't think EA sued the company behind Cities Skylines. You can't legally own a video game genre. That would be like being the only one with the right to write a romance novel. If EA does sue, they'd better somehow prove life simulation isn't a genre and is only possible to make by using the specific, likely copyrighted programming in The Sims instead of original and separate programming. Considering Paralives uses a different engine, that will be difficult for EA.

They sued Zynga over copying the Sims. I'm not going to discuss whether Zynga is a good company (they are not), but when they tried their own life simulator, EA sued. It's possible it was too close -- Zynga is scummy (or was? No clue if they're still in business).

Here's the thing -- they settled the case out of court. No clue who would have won. OTOH, an indie dev would not have the same ability to fight a lawsuit. And builder games are a far wider genre than life simulators so it would be far more difficult to sue over those.

https://kotaku.com/ea-sues-zynga-says-the-ville-rips-off-the-sims-5931661

I saw that Zynga game, it was a clear copy of the Sims, right down to the UI. Zynga has stolen intellectual property so many times, I'd be surprised if that company is still around. There's always someone who tries to make money off of someone else's hard work.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,790 Member
    I think Paralives is distinct enough to not be liable for a lawsuit.

Also, I'm a patron and Alex showed us something that he'll reveal to the public this week. It's something that's simple but robust at the same time. I think you guys will like it :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I hope so -- Paralives looks incredible, and with a strong community backing it, it could be absolutely amazing. I know Second Life is just fine, so I'm probably being alarmist here. But Sims needs some serious competition which Second Life is not. I have a feeling that Sims 5 is going to be more an MMO, but one with severe limitations to avoid the gross mess that the Sims Online was.
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I think Paralives is distinct enough to not be liable for a lawsuit.

Also, I'm a patron and Alex showed us something that he'll reveal to the public this week. It's something that's simple but robust at the same time. I think you guys will like it :)

Goodness, I can't wait to see it. I hope that it's something about the Parafolk. <3
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2019
    I hope so -- Paralives looks incredible, and with a strong community backing it, it could be absolutely amazing. I know Second Life is just fine, so I'm probably being alarmist here. But Sims needs some serious competition which Second Life is not. I have a feeling that Sims 5 is going to be more an MMO, but one with severe limitations to avoid the gross mess that the Sims Online was.
    Yeah if the game is different enough should be ok. Pretty sure Paralives will do ok if it ends up being a legit release when it is ready unlike the last fake competition that happened a couple years ago. I mean Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing and some other life simulation games are doing well especially in the PC and mobile market. I'm shocked they didn't with Universim given it has sim in the name, but then again it is a simulation game and more like SimCity than the Sims. I have a friend that used to work for Zynga too in the mobile department.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    EA/Maxis are keeping an eye on him. Probably making sure he doesn't use any of their programming.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    According to the developer’s Patreon, he is getting $3,450 a month in donations. Compared to the money that EA has at its disposal, it’s not a lot. Do you think it’s going to be enough money to develop a game which can rival TS4? That’s what worries me. I may have to join his Patreon.

ETA: I just did a quick google and apparently The Sims probably cost between $50 million and $100 million to develop :o:s

Money doesn't actually matter as much for indie game development as it does for 'Triple-A' titles, most of the money that was spent on The Sims 4 goes into marketing it.

That’s good to know.

Yeah, it's strange to think of, but Indie games developers can make games that in some cases are far superior to the 'triple-A' titles with far less. Probably because they don't have big corporations breathing down their necks or stealing diverting money elsewhere... That and they usually have passion for the games they are making.

The Sims was not a triple A game when it came out - keep that in mind and EA did not own it - they financed and published The Sims - that is all.

It technically still isn't a triple-A game, not that that particular title means much these days... It is and always will be a niche title.

EA didn't own it originally, back when it was good, now they DO own it and current Maxis is just a relabelled office of EA.
    That is another good point. A lot of games start off as small indie projects, but then expanded to more bigger projects.

And that's perfectly fine, unless they do so under EA's banner... After which they get turned into cash-cows and/or slot machines.

The Sims was produced by EA, EA has been the producer (before release) since day one. I don't know where people get this myth. Just correcting the record if any newbie thinks EA was never involved with it's production. It has never been released without the backing and money of EA. ETA: The actual difference in what we think is good and what is not, is not EA, but Will Wright and his vision if he didn't agree an idea you were asked to leave his office. That's when it was 'good'. Sticking to the formula of what belongs and what doesn't.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited September 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    EA/Maxis are keeping an eye on him. Probably making sure he doesn't use any of their programming.

More like worried he might make a better game, and by the way it’s going so far, oh boy, oh boy.

Ahhhh you guys, y’all need to join his patron, just saying ;)

—T
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    To7m wrote: »

More like worried he might make a better game, and by the way it’s going so far, oh boy, oh boy.

—T

I guess to each their own - but it looks like a bad mobile game to me on my very high end system. Not the least bit interested in games that look that poorly.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited September 2019

—T

I guess to each their own - but it looks like a bad mobile game to me on my very high end system. Not the least bit interested in games that look that poorly.

As a programmer yourself, you know that what we see now isn't necessarily the finished product. Paralives is years away still. Remember how low-res and terrible TS3 looked when screenshots first started coming out? The buy catalog objects looked flat and featureless. Pretty much how TS4's base game objects still look to this day. Things can easily change.

In any case, if the gameplay is there, other successful indy games have already proved that graphics won't matter to the bottom line. Fun and playability are the deciding factors for most gamers.

—T

Yes, indeed. :)

I have a rotating list of favorite creators that I try to support. I've definitely added Paralives to that list.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    Cynna wrote: »

—T

As a programmer yourself, you know that what we see now isn't necessarily the finished product. Paralives is years away still. Remember how low-res and terrible TS3 looked when screenshots first started coming out? The buy catalog objects looked flat and featureless. Pretty much how TS4's base game objects still look to this day. Things can easily change.

In any case, if the gameplay is there, other successful indy games have already proved that graphics won't matter to the bottom line. Fun and playability are the deciding factors for most gamers.

Well it needs some real serious improvement to get my attention - and preferably not here on the Sims forum. I find it a bit rude to be shown here, personally. But anyway - so far I haven't seen anything that draws my interest - especially with the kind of time line I have seen them talk about and looking like it looks now. Very washed out in my view - but to each their own. I am surprised not seeing characters - they are usually first. Looks like a lot building exercise for starter players to me more than anything else - but that is my opinion at this point.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    He's got some good ideas that Maxis haven't incorporated into Sims 4. I might buy it as an alternative so that I can push and pull the walls and objects about as I see can be done. Might be fun. :)
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    According to the developer’s Patreon, he is getting $3,450 a month in donations. Compared to the money that EA has at its disposal, it’s not a lot. Do you think it’s going to be enough money to develop a game which can rival TS4? That’s what worries me. I may have to join his Patreon.

ETA: I just did a quick google and apparently The Sims probably cost between $50 million and $100 million to develop :o:s

Money doesn't actually matter as much for indie game development as it does for 'Triple-A' titles, most of the money that was spent on The Sims 4 goes into marketing it.

That’s good to know.

Yeah, it's strange to think of, but Indie games developers can make games that in some cases are far superior to the 'triple-A' titles with far less. Probably because they don't have big corporations breathing down their necks or stealing diverting money elsewhere... That and they usually have passion for the games they are making.

The Sims was not a triple A game when it came out - keep that in mind and EA did not own it - they financed and published The Sims - that is all.

It technically still isn't a triple-A game, not that that particular title means much these days... It is and always will be a niche title.

EA didn't own it originally, back when it was good, now they DO own it and current Maxis is just a relabelled office of EA.
    That is another good point. A lot of games start off as small indie projects, but then expanded to more bigger projects.

And that's perfectly fine, unless they do so under EA's banner... After which they get turned into cash-cows and/or slot machines.

The Sims was produced by EA, EA has been the producer (before release) since day one. I don't know where people get this myth. Just correcting the record if any newbie thinks EA was never involved with it's production. It has never been released without the backing and money of EA. ETA: The actual difference in what we think is good and what is not, is not EA, but Will Wright and his vision if he didn't agree an idea you were asked to leave his office. That's when it was 'good'. Sticking to the formula of what belongs and what doesn't.

True, but it's only with late TS2, TS3 and now TS4 that EA decided to truly take direct control.

EA often has developers under its banner, but eventually it always becomes more controlling in its drive for profits until it destroys all the games that developer produces.
    raw
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,277 Member
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

—T

Like TS4.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

—T

Well it needs some real serious improvement to get my attention - and preferably not here on the Sims forum. I find it a bit rude to be shown here, personally. But anyway - so far I haven't seen anything that draws my interest - especially with the kind of time line I have seen them talk about and looking like it looks now. Very washed out in my view - but to each their own. I am surprised not seeing characters - they are usually first. Looks like a lot building exercise for starter players to me more than anything else - but that is my opinion at this point.

How is it rude? I think it’s exactly what this forum needs, personally. A bit of competition never hurt anyone and I like the idea of people seeing how bare and soulless TS4 looks compared to Paralives already. Might make people open their eyes a little.

Careful, your bitterness is starting to show. You don’t *have* to like/buy it. And considering there is no other place to really talk about Sims type games, I’m not surprised people are talking about it here. Let them, I say. You also don’t have to even open any Paralive related thread 🤷🏼‍♂️

—T
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Heil to Paralives!
    The sims 5 should have it's biggest core feature to be exactly (as in this video) dragging and adjusting sizes of EVERYTHING. windows, doors, objects, clothes (dragging skirts from short to long for exmpl.) This would be such an invention! It almost feels like the jump from TS2 to TS3 with the open world all of a sudden. TS5 should also carry out gradial aging.. like I would be WOW'ed! Imagine your sims just getting a little older while you play according to the set lifespan. And imagine a child life being split into 2 fases, one of the innocent child and the other of the pre-teen where they also grow a little and loose their soft looks (reducing cheeks, more curvy etc. ) a little.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited September 2019

—T

How is it rude? I think it’s exactly what this forum needs, personally. A bit of competition never hurt anyone and I like the idea of people seeing how bare and soulless TS4 looks compared to Paralives already. Might make people open their eyes a little.

Careful, your bitterness is starting to show. You don’t *have* to like/buy it. And considering there is no other place to really talk about Sims type games, I’m not surprised people are talking about it here. Let them, I say. You also don’t have to even open any Paralive related thread 🤷🏼‍♂️

—T

Personally, Sims isn't bare to me at all. I'm a long time player since Sims 1 and the 4th is my favourite by far. It holds my attention for much longer than older ones did and I Love how the sims and their personalities are now. I play pretty much solely in live mode and I love that I can create any story with the Sims in this version without them fighting against me.

That being said, from what I can see of Paralives, it looks amazing too! I really love the art style of it and the build mode so far looks completely amazing. I'm really excited for it too, provided the Parapeople will be as good as the build mode. I'll hold off any real judgement on it until I can see that, but the descriptions sound good and the videos look fantastic.

I think that if this game gets finished and the people are as good as the build mode, I will proudly play both Paralives and Sims 4.
    Post edited by SimAlexandria on
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited September 2019

My jaw dropped when I saw that video.

And it's honestly funny that simmers have been asking for bunk beds for years and we still don't have them, yet Alex has already incorporated them into Parlives after one Patreon poll. And they're more customizable than they'd ever be in TS4.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

—T

—T

Personally, Sims isn't bare to me at all. I'm a long time player since Sims 1 and the 4th is my favourite by far. It holds my attention for much longer than older ones did and I Love how the sims and their personalities are now. I play pretty much solely in live mode and I love that I can create any story with the Sims in this version without them fighting against me.

That being said, from what I can see of Paralives, it looks amazing too! I really love the art style of it and the build mode so far looks completely amazing. I'm really excited for it too, provided the Parapeople will be as good as the build mode. I'll hold off any real judgement on it until I can see that, but the descriptions sound good and the videos look fantastic.

I think that if this game gets finished and the people are as good as the build mode, I will proudly play both Paralives and Sims 4.

You speak as if the sims personalities have improved. They haven’t lol. Look, you may like the game. I don’t dispute that, but fact speaks for itself and TS4 is nowhere near as in-depth as TS2 let alone 3. The game has more stuff, yes, since launch. But the core of it is still the same. They’ll never change that. Not now.

I frankly don’t care who likes it. The game IS bare compared to the others, it handles less, it offers less. This is just a fact. And when you have THREE other iterations to go up against, you have to be better. Lack of open world alone makes TS4 lower than TS3. Open world in an evolution. You don’t have to like it, but open world is better than a closed world. It’s more advanced.

TS4 is just... bare.

—T
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    So far it looks like they’re doing a perfect job with their own programming lol.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member

I was only using SL for RP purposes, but I never even once considered it anything at all related to the sims, let alone a sims competitor lol.

However, if Sims5 does ANYTHING AT ALL that's MMO style, or ONLINE gameplay, where OTHER PEOPLE are in my game, oh absolutely not!!!! I don't want a single other person anywhere NEAR my sims gameplay, or being able to influence my stories AT ALL. Taking a classically single player game to MMO is a TERRIBLE move that I hope EA stays FAR, FAR AWAY from. My god, just the thought of other people being in my sims game is awful. No thanks!!

I also would HATE to be forced to be online constantly. I can barely load the gallery fine on bad internet days, but to have to deal with loading in OTHER PEOPLE'S SIMS too?? No!!

"Sims5 might be an MMO" is literally my worse nightmare and 100% death of the series.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Build mode looks good in Paralives. The bed to bunk-bed transition is neat.

Frankly though, ever since the most recent stairs update, Sims 4 build mode is my favorite of all the Sims games now. I can do pretty much what I want - sure there are still enhancements/updates I want but it's come a long, long way and the build/buy items (especially now with the build cheats) are varied and plentiful. But what's important to me is gameplay and this is where the Sims 4 needs its attention now.

Since we haven't even seen any characters, much less actual gameplay from Paralives, there's no reason for me to think that Paralives will come close to Sims 4 in terms of gameplay, especially with just one developer. Despite people trashing the Sims 4 team as "lazy" etc., Sims 4 as a game is quite complex. The developer of Paralives will absolutely need to scale up and bring a number of people onto his team if he wants to begin to come anywhere close to Sims 4.

As an indie game with its own unique gameplay, it could be a good alternative (on the level of "House Flipper"). But I just don't see this as a Sims-franchise killer in any way, shape, or form yet.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Build mode looks good in Paralives. The bed to bunk-bed transition is neat.

Frankly though, ever since the most recent stairs update, Sims 4 build mode is my favorite of all the Sims games now. I can do pretty much what I want - sure there are still enhancements/updates I want but it's come a long, long way and the build/buy items (especially now with the build cheats) are varied and plentiful. But what's important to me is gameplay and this is where the Sims 4 needs its attention now.

Since we haven't even seen any characters, much less actual gameplay from Paralives, there's no reason for me to think that Paralives will come close to Sims 4 in terms of gameplay, especially with just one developer. Despite people trashing the Sims 4 team as "lazy" etc., Sims 4 as a game is quite complex. The developer of Paralives will absolutely need to scale up and bring a number of people onto his team if he wants to begin to come anywhere close to Sims 4.

As an indie game with its own unique gameplay, it could be a good alternative (on the level of "House Flipper"). But I just don't see this as a Sims-franchise killer in any way, shape, or form yet.

Due to the fact we will have pets,and naturualy aging.I think Paralivians will be good . Or aleast decent.The creator has shown passion to this game . Sure it won't be the sims,,but it could be a good alternative .