Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA, nearly 20 years into the series, this is the kind of innovation that I love

Comments

• Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I continue to remain cautiously optimistic about Paralives. I'm not much of a builder and am a little hesitant about it because that's all they've shown so far, but if the gameplay is anything like the build mode with how detailed it is, i'm definitely on board.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    The game will be worth a try for me based on building alone. Can’t wait what they have in store for characters and gameplay.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    I see Paralives as more of a concept that I see EA using as comparative to improve The Sims, but I don't expect the game itself to be my cup of tea at all, they have shown zero actual Simulation gameplay, I believe the game will be amazing for builders and all but it will have a very shallow simulation, like, IMVU style, and this is the exact opposite of what I want.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2019
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    Wow this is amazing, after create a style - this is the kind of big feature upgrade you expect to see, not "emotions". 😏

Exactly.

TS4's 'groundbreaking' tech is only incrementally better than anything that has come before. With TS4, I expected the same kind of quantum leap that happened between 1 and 2, and again between 2 and 3. Instead, the game fell backward.

I'm not putting all of my hopes into Paralives. Not yet, because I haven't seen any actual gameplay. Still, it's clear that Masse is willing to take risks and to think out of the box. That is something that I haven't seen from EA since the launch of TS3 with its massive push to allow players to create their own game in practically any way that they desire.

When I see Paralives, that sense of wonder and amazement has returned. Imagine how many fewer objects would be required because one object can fulfill so many different roles. Ex: one desk, at least six different configurations. (?) Meanwhile, EA keeps cranking out the same stuff, over and over again. Nothing different, nothing truly imaginative. Instead, it's full of smoke and mirrors along with plenty of visual effects to camouflage the short cuts.

I'm really rooting for Mr. Masse. The gaming industry has become such a behemoth that it has forgotten its roots. Perhaps, Mr. Masse can show EA what the Sims used to be and should be now. I'm crossing fingers that EA is paying attention. Because, even if Masse doesn't create the Sim killer, someone eventually will. EA's complacency is only making it easier.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    The build mode certainly looks great, and something that would have been handy to have in the Sims games. But I'm wondering how the avatars are going to interact with it all and how the routing is going to play out. This level of customization makes me a little bit skeptical about the gameplay.

I really can't say I'm excited for this yet or whether I think it's going to compare to The Sims at all, because he hasn't revealed anything about the actual meat of the game. I'm not a builder at all, so my main interest is in the actual gameplay and customization with the avatars.

I admit, I have a few demands to my play style when it comes to these types of games, and there are certain creative freedoms that I need in order to play the game at all. But I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more information as it progresses.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    According to the developer’s Patreon, he is getting $3,450 a month in donations. Compared to the money that EA has at its disposal, it’s not a lot. Do you think it’s going to be enough money to develop a game which can rival TS4? That’s what worries me. I may have to join his Patreon.

ETA: I just did a quick google and apparently The Sims probably cost between $50 million and $100 million to develop :o:s

I've read that the developer quit his full time job to work on the game, making Paralives his only source of income. Between groceries, bills, and other things requiring payments, $3500 a month really isn't a lot. Which is why I joined his Patreon last night. Hopefully the game will continue to gain more traction and we'll see that number double.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited September 2019
    Now IF Paralives can deliver on those as well (which I sincerely hope it does) and then set it up to allow mods and CC be put into the game?

Mods and CC will work through Steam Workshop, though script mods haven't been set up to work yet. I'm sure Alex will allow for script mods if people ask, it may just be a case that they're not supported yet simply because it's early days.

It's already been shown that you can overhaul the graphics if you want, to show the extent of mods. People over on the Discord are already making their own graphic sets using the tools Alex has said will work, like Blender. One person even recreated the house from the early screenshots.

Simtroverted on twitter is also making CC for paralives already and is working through making a ton of IKEA stuff. They're also taking suggestions from other players at CC they would like to see. Someone suggested rustic / farmhouse furniture for example. The stuff at the moment looks great. So I am following pretty closely!

As for mods, if the gameplay and personalities of the parafolk are good, mods are less essential for me.

This is true. For TS3, the only mods I use are mods to improve the stability of the game, grant more control over the mechanics of the game, and replace the story progression with a better one. As well as a few gameplay mods here and there. But my TS4 install has so many mods because the gameplay, even with so many packs, is ridiculously shallow.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    I see Paralives as more of a concept that I see EA using as comparative to improve The Sims, but I don't expect the game itself to be my cup of tea at all, they have shown zero actual Simulation gameplay, I believe the game will be amazing for builders and all but it will have a very shallow simulation, like, IMVU style, and this is the exact opposite of what I want.

For sure, you may be right. I remember how it was when TS4 was about to launch. The emphasis, even then, was on build mode and especially CAS. The actual simulation got very little play. This could certainly be the same type of situation -- putting the best foot forward and all that.

Yet, for me, the Sims series is already a known quantity. I've watched it go from great to good to meh and I have so little hope that the series will ever recapture its initial greatness. Although I don't put all of my hopes into Paralives, it still has the hope that I no longer have for The Sims. So, there's that.

I'm rooting for something new with a developer who has something to prove. EA already knows that they don't have to prove anything anymore. They've been coasting along on The Sims brand name for years. Basically, they've got a captive audience with nowhere else to go.

If there's someone out there who is going to give me a chance of breaking free with something new, something that is possibly better, I'll take that chance as small as it may be. I won't discount an alternative out of hand because I really want to move on from The Sims at this point. Hopefully, in a couple of years, there will be something else to fill the wishes that EA has neglected for so long. ::fingers crossed::
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Im so hyped for this new game , paralives. Honestly i have been looking paralives twitter and try to look any new updates. Hope this game is coming. Even if the game is not have nice parafolks etc i'm okey whit it and still support the game since i think the dew really cares simulation games and has a good vision what others are looking from this kind of games.
    EA really don't care about this game, i think. They are more into other game types and they should just let someone else run the sims searie.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    What little I have seen looks amazing for builders. It all starts somewhere. Whatever it becomes, it is what the Sims needs. Someone who is not afraid to compete.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I probably won't invest money in Paralives, but it'll be very good for EA to have some competition.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I've yet to see anything interesting about this game. They have shown zero images of what their characters are supposed to look like, or what sort of personalities we have. From what I understand, there is also zero interest in giving occults a try.

Hard pass.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The clock actually moves! Sims 4 could learn a lot from this game. Paralives already looks so much better from when I last seen it and the build mode looks amazing the customization possibilities and color wheel blows Sims 4 out of the water now that's sandbox gameplay. The only real question is how will the characters be in this game if they can do that right and more like Sims 2 style I might finally have the game I want.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    I've yet to see anything interesting about this game. They have shown zero images of what their characters are supposed to look like, or what sort of personalities we have. From what I understand, there is also zero interest in giving occults a try.

Hard pass.

The first character creation video is currently in development. It's still early days, we can't expect gameplay videos or demonstrations yet, and the fact that he's taking his time is a plus.

Alex has already confirmed that at least magic will follow the base game release and that he had ideas for it before people started asking about it. More could follow if people are interested.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    There is a market for this game for buildmode alone. I don't think EA is going to be worried about this individual developer. It probably won't give The Sims any serious competition. But there will be an interest in it because of the engine it is using, and will inspire other young developers to experiment with the engine and perhaps develop their own games. It may not be able to handle the AI that The Sims require but as far as building and manipulating what you can build it's a great little engine. Very innovative, but a lot of flash pan games use it some have never heard of those games because they don't play those type genres. But I would buy this game just to try the build, just to create, everything in gaming doesn't have to be about The Sims.

I assume Indie games don't expect to make a bundle (like a billion) and may only hope to make around $250,000-$500,000+ on a little game just to get their foot in the door. EA won't pay it any attention unless it starts to make and show much more potential then they will come in, buy him off and produce it themselves or put it on their Origin downloader for a cut of the profit.

They won't look twice. They didn't mind there was a new world builder game, because they have Sim City mobile (where they wanted to go with that game to start with) and just swooped in and made the developers of the other city builder an offer they couldn't refuse to add it to Origin for a cut of the money. I expect the same thing to happen here, but only after they see the numbers of how well it sells.

It won't cause them to rethink their own direction with The Sims, at all, but it might make them want to buy it up.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    There is a market for this game for buildmode alone. I don't think EA is going to be worried about this individual developer. It probably won't give The Sims any serious competition. But there will be an interest in it because of the engine it is using, and will inspire other young developers to experiment with the engine and perhaps develop their own games. It may not be able to handle the AI that The Sims require but as far as building and manipulating what you can build it's a great little engine. Very innovative, but a lot of flash pan games use it some have never heard of those games because they don't play those type genres. But I would buy this game just to try the build, just to create, everything in gaming doesn't have to be about The Sims.

I assume Indie games don't expect to make a bundle (like a billion) and may only hope to make around $250,000-$500,000+ on a little game just to get their foot in the door. EA won't pay it any attention unless it starts to make and show much more potential then they will come in, buy him off and produce it themselves or put it on their Origin downloader for a cut of the profit.

They won't look twice. They didn't mind there was a new world builder game, because they have Sim City mobile (where they wanted to go with that game to start with) and just swooped in and made the developers of the other city builder an offer they couldn't refuse to add it to Origin for a cut of the money. I expect the same thing to happen here, but only after they see the numbers of how well it sells.

It won't cause them to rethink their own direction with The Sims, at all, but it might make them want to buy it up.

If that's the case, in the future, I hope he's never buckles and lets them buy him. He's better off finding another company to invest in him and his game. EA is too corrupt.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    It looks interesting but I want to see the actual gameplay. I'm not really the builder type but I will be keeping an eye out on it. I do believe The Sims needs some competition though. Like how Cities Skylines put some really good competition against Sim City. I do hope this game gives EA a bit of a wakeup call though. While I do love TS4. I do feel that a lot of the time it's not having as much effort as it should be put into it.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I love how they all only show build mode yet the statement has been made "game play is there"?! Uhm... no. And "one object can fill multiple roles" yep. Great eh, until you're tired of seeing that same skin lamp in all rooms just different sizes or on wall vs floor. You all love it until you play it for a month then want different models or actual gameplay. *shrugs* Guess I won't be excited until I actually do see more. Kudos to this developer though. My hope is that they spur the Sims to get creative again. Real competition for the first time ever should keep them on their toes since lately they've gotten sloppy.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

If that's the case, in the future, I hope he's never buckles and lets them buy him. He's better off finding another company to invest in him and his game. EA is too corrupt.

lol, but EA has the money to market his game all over the world. Money sometimes starts to matter more than the love of developing a game.
    I invision that episode on South Park where (Kyle and Cartman) they created their own game then EA called to set up a meeting, and totally changed their game, lol.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    All I hope is that the game won’t have peanut head characters like in other current games. I can live with cartoony Sims 4 style (I’m mainly bothered by the over the topness of facial expressions), but not that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NakkihevariNakkihevari Posts: 22 Member
    > @Cynna said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Exactly.
    >
    > TS4's 'groundbreaking' tech is only incrementally better than anything that has come before. With TS4, I expected the same kind of quantum leap that happened between 1 and 2, and again between 2 and 3. Instead, the game fell backward.
    >
    > I'm not putting all of my hopes into Paralives. Not yet, because I haven't seen any actual gameplay. Still, it's clear that Masse is willing to take risks and to think out of the box. That is something that I haven't seen from EA since the launch of TS3 with its massive push to allow players to create their own game in practically any way that they desire.
    >
    > When I see Paralives, that sense of wonder and amazement has returned. Imagine how many fewer objects would be required because one object can fulfill so many different roles. Ex: one desk, at least six different configurations. (?) Meanwhile, EA keeps cranking out the same stuff, over and over again. Nothing different, nothing truly imaginative. Instead, it's full of smoke and mirrors along with plenty of visual effects to camouflage the short cuts.
    >
    > I'm really rooting for Mr. Masse. The gaming industry has become such a behemoth that it has forgotten its roots. Perhaps, Mr. Masse can show EA what the Sims used to be and should be now. I'm crossing fingers that EA is paying attention. Because, even if Masse doesn't create the Sim killer, someone eventually will. EA's complacency is only making it easier.

Agree 100%
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Honestly, all the build stuff that has been shown for Paralives so far looks amazing. But I love the build mode in TS4 too, even if it's not this versatile. So I'll hold off on praising this until we've seen some actual gameplay - so I'm guessing a few years down the line? It's not that it doesn't look good, but if we've learned anything from TS4, it's that it should be about far more than just looking good. :)

Omg that last sentence though, preach!

Well it’s certainly got a LOT of hype to live up to now, promising to deliver on every front TS4 “failed”, good luck to this guy...
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Maybe they should hire him for TS5 ?
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Hard pass.

I want to see what the characters look like, and most of all, the AI behind them. I'm remaining skeptical until then.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    The build mode certainly looks great, and something that would have been handy to have in the Sims games. But I'm wondering how the avatars are going to interact with it all and how the routing is going to play out. This level of customization makes me a little bit skeptical about the gameplay.

I really can't say I'm excited for this yet or whether I think it's going to compare to The Sims at all, because he hasn't revealed anything about the actual meat of the game. I'm not a builder at all, so my main interest is in the actual gameplay and customization with the avatars.

I admit, I have a few demands to my play style when it comes to these types of games, and there are certain creative freedoms that I need in order to play the game at all. But I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more information as it progresses.

Yup, a thing some people don't know is that AI is extremely hard to do in games, like, it's not even comparable. One instance of indie game with AI I can think of is Yandere Simulator, and that game is in development hell to this very day and I don't think the game will ever be ready, and it is an extremely slugglish game to play, and the AI is not even that complex. That's one of the problems with developing AI: it's extremely hard to optimize it for performance.

And the worst thing is, it ins't that noticeable for the masses, it doesn't look flashy, most people wouldn't notice. Even those that do feel the difference can't exactly pinpoint what it is, The Sims 2 has the best AI of the franchise, but most people that prefer The Sims 2 don't exactly know why they do, they just "feel" like Sims in that game are better.

What Paralives is doing on the other hand looks much more impressive, but it is actually much simpler to do than what The Sims 4 is doing.

I can see why the developers of The Sims 4 focused on delivering the flashier features first and only then they started working on improving the actual Simulation, yeah it sucks for people that have been playing the franchise for a long time and miss those things, but it is actually a smart thing to do. Face it guys, most people don't play this game that seriously, most people create a YA and self-insert, do some partying and that's it, they needed to profit because you know EA, if it doesn't profit it's not improved, it's shut-down entirely.