Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 is laggy-ish after the pre-CL patch

Comments

• Options
    suepixelssuepixels Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2016
    I don't have a gaming pc currently all worked smooth till this patch came out - I cannot enter the gallery any more it causes to crash my game! Even within a game it freezes my laptop now... so I did those steps just in case to see what might could cause the issue and mine does work again smooth it might will help you, too I got this info from the gallery by @GLovely1, she created a household named "♥Game Fix 2 try-Pls Read♥ and it helped me :

You have to do two things that may make your gallery & pc run better:

Step 1: Delete all items in the “cache” file in your game files.
    Follow these steps:
    1. On your computer double click documents open.
    2. Double click open Electronic Arts.
    3. Double click open The Sims 4.
    4. Double click open cache.
    5. Click hold down ctrl & A keys
    6. Find the choice at the top w red x delete & click to delete all images in cache file.

Step 2: Move Tray & Saves e.g. to Desktop
    1. Double click documents to open.
    2. Double click open Electronic Arts.
    3. Double click open The Sims 4.
    4. Right mouse click on Tray file opening an action menu.
    5. Click on cut.
    6. Go to desktop & right click the desktop opening the action menu.
    7. Click on paste
    8. This cuts out your old full tray & saves it to your desktop in case you need it again.
    9. Do steps 1-3 again to open game file.
    10. Right click away from files on right to open action menu.
    11. Scroll & hover mouse over new, see a new menu open, click folder.
    12. Name this new created folder Tray. Doing this deletes everything

So especially deleting the tray & cache folder helped and all works fine again on my pc ;) guess my pc can't handle the amount of files & that's why it slows all down. I kept my save files because I don't have more than 10 different worlds so I thought this can stay and it works. Let me know if I could help some simmers here with the hint I had thankfully from GLovely1 =]
    Passionate Sim-Architect & Storyteller on Tumblr. If u can imagine u can make it happen B)
    Industrial, Steampunk & Modern Architecture. Yup Simmies, too!

EA ID suepixels | Tags #suepixels
    Sue's Architecture | Sue's Stories | Wedding Stuff Pack Ideas
    Tumblr: suepixels | Twitter suepixels
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @rosemow

Thank you I will try that next :)
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @suelady

Thank you for that extra information its days Like I have had today I long for the days of package files and simpaks from the other sims series lol

@rosemow

after following your last advice re the jump bug it appears to have stopped the problem so thank you and the info has been copied and paste for future reference until I come up against a different problem and have to ask about something else ( I hope not-) :)
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,619 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @suelady

Thank you for that extra information its days Like I have had today I long for the days of package files and simpaks from the other sims series lol

@rosemow

after following your last advice re the jump bug it appears to have stopped the problem so thank you and the info has been copied and paste for future reference until I come up against a different problem and have to ask about something else ( I hope not-) :)

You're welcome :) I am glad that it has helped the issue .
  • Options
    georgeandjudycasgeorgeandjudycas Posts: 191 Member
    Hi Everyone- Happy to say I have resolved my issue also. I had done all of the suggestions that rosemow made except for the option to play offline. I really didn't know you could do that. I did it, and my game ran relatively smoothly. I had a couple of lags when I had a club meeting at my house, but very brief. So thank you for all of your help.

JudyC :)
  • Options
    Hi Everyone- Happy to say I have resolved my issue also. I had done all of the suggestions that rosemow made except for the option to play offline. I really didn't know you could do that. I did it, and my game ran relatively smoothly. I had a couple of lags when I had a club meeting at my house, but very brief. So thank you for all of your help.

JudyC :)

Hello
    I am glad that your game is running better now :)
  • Options
    SheepyCakesSheepyCakes Posts: 27 Member
    The update also ruined my game to the point that a lot of the "Dine Out" bugs that others were having (can't close the restaurant, wrong sims showing up as employees, Sims forgetting they own it, etc) are happening to me now even though they never did before. I thought maybe I was the only person with the lagging problem! I have a pretty powerful PC, it definitely shouldn't be happening.
  • Options
    The update also ruined my game to the point that a lot of the "Dine Out" bugs that others were having (can't close the restaurant, wrong sims showing up as employees, Sims forgetting they own it, etc) are happening to me now even though they never did before. I thought maybe I was the only person with the lagging problem! I have a pretty powerful PC, it definitely shouldn't be happening.

Hello @SheepyCakes
    You may need to go to manage worlds, click on the lot where your sims restaurant is , and sell the restaurant. Then have your sims buy the restaurant again.
  • Options
    SheepyCakesSheepyCakes Posts: 27 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @SheepyCakes
    You may need to go to manage worlds, click on the lot where your sims restaurant is , and sell the restaurant. Then have your sims buy the restaurant again.

Thanks Rose. I did try that, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problems at all! It was difficult to even sell the restaurant because for a bit there, my Sims didn't even remember/realize they owned the restaurant at all, so I couldn't buy OR sell it... The game said "you can't sell this because it isn't yours" and also "you can't buy this because you already own it." I did a game repair, reset my Sims 4 folder, turned off Origin in-game, made sure it was running the 64-bit version, and everything. I'm waiting to speak to an EA game advisor but I'm not sure what else there is to do. I don't use mods or CC of any kind (the game is buggy enough without them!) and I'm pretty computer and software savvy (I built this machine myself from parts, have been working with software since childhood) but the bugs I've had in this game really boggle my mind.
  • Options

Hello @SheepyCakes

Thanks Rose. I did try that, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problems at all! It was difficult to even sell the restaurant because for a bit there, my Sims didn't even remember/realize they owned the restaurant at all, so I couldn't buy OR sell it... The game said "you can't sell this because it isn't yours" and also "you can't buy this because you already own it." I did a game repair, reset my Sims 4 folder, turned off Origin in-game, made sure it was running the 64-bit version, and everything. I'm waiting to speak to an EA game advisor but I'm not sure what else there is to do. I don't use mods or CC of any kind (the game is buggy enough without them!) and I'm pretty computer and software savvy (I built this machine myself from parts, have been working with software since childhood) but the bugs I've had in this game really boggle my mind.

Hello
    For your lagging issues, try playing in off line mode and see if that helps the issue.

Simmers have also been finding that their tray folder ( which holds the files of the sims and households that they have in their library ) has been causing issues.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop , then test to see if the issues remain. If it helps, then just put back into the new tray folder that has been generated in the sims 4 folder the files of the sims and builds that you want or need to still have in your library. You can put the files back into the tray folder as you want to use the sims or builds in your game, then take them out again afterwards.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,411 Member
    edited November 2016
    For me moving the tray folder to my desktop solved the issue completely.
  • Options
    For me moving the tray folder to my desktop solved the issue completey.

Hello
    It is good that moving the tray folder helped to fix the issue in your game :) It is helpful feedback on tne issue.
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Yes, my game has been laggy since the patch too.

I don't have a gaming computer, but the game was running much better before the patch.

Repairing the game after deleting the cache folder and localthumbcache file might help a lot.
  • Options
    Artemis_DreamerArtemis_Dreamer Posts: 200 Member
    I've noticed a bit of lag from the new patch, but only with regards to the Gallery. When going into the gallery, the game will occasionally freeze for three to six seconds before it opens. I've cleaned the cache files/folders, so I feel that this really shouldn't be happening - especially since I only have approx 20 households and 10 lots in my library.

Wasn't experiencing any gallery lag before the patch.

It's not the biggest of deals, though. CAS and build mode still run very smoothly, and live mode still only has occasional hiccups. EXCEPT when using the Convival lot trait - that lot trait has a glitch that causes the Sims emotions to cycle rapidly, which creates some lag. It can be prevented by just avoiding that trait, though.

Regarding the spinning Plumbob on the loading screen... it isn't supposed to stop and start, but rather it should spin continuously? Weird. It's never spun smoothly for me, even when I only had the base game. My loading screens aren't very long, though, so I'm not complaining - just surprised.

Yes, this patch definitely introduced a bit of lag, but so long as the fans aren't spinning up when I play, I know that my computer's handling it just fine.
  • Options
    I've noticed a bit of lag from the new patch, but only with regards to the Gallery. When going into the gallery, the game will occasionally freeze for three to six seconds before it opens. I've cleaned the cache files/folders, so I feel that this really shouldn't be happening - especially since I only have approx 20 households and 10 lots in my library.

Wasn't experiencing any gallery lag before the patch.

It's not the biggest of deals, though. CAS and build mode still run very smoothly, and live mode still only has occasional hiccups. EXCEPT when using the Convival lot trait - that lot trait has a glitch that causes the Sims emotions to cycle rapidly, which creates some lag. It can be prevented by just avoiding that trait, though.

Regarding the spinning Plumbob on the loading screen... it isn't supposed to stop and start, but rather it should spin continuously? Weird. It's never spun smoothly for me, even when I only had the base game. My loading screens aren't very long, though, so I'm not complaining - just surprised.

Yes, this patch definitely introduced a bit of lag, but so long as the fans aren't spinning up when I play, I know that my computer's handling it just fine.

Hello
    Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that also helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder .
  • Options
    caitybee73caitybee73 Posts: 121 Member
    Thanks everyone for all your help, especially @rosemow and @dekay because of you I seem to have gotten rid of my lag completely.

I tried repairing my game, resetting it from 32 to 64 bits (it had gotten switched), turned off origin in game, and updated my video card drivers. Still had bad freezing for minutes at a time. So this morning I went into my game options and disabled everything online, info gathering too, and my game is running smoothly without even a hint of lag.

Again, thanks so much!
  • Options
    LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
    Yes, I have specifically noticed that my game lags more ever since the new patch. I've already done repair, clean new folder and even deleted stuff from my library on the gallery. I've even fiddled with the graphics as well. Nothing seems to make it improve at all. It definitely isn't game breaking so far but it is very annoying that it's basically stuttering. I haven't tried the 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode thing for the game so that's my next thing to test out.
  • Options
    caitybee73 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all your help, especially @rosemow and @dekay because of you I seem to have gotten rid of my lag completely.

I tried repairing my game, resetting it from 32 to 64 bits (it had gotten switched), turned off origin in game, and updated my video card drivers. Still had bad freezing for minutes at a time. So this morning I went into my game options and disabled everything online, info gathering too, and my game is running smoothly without even a hint of lag.

Again, thanks so much!

Hello
    I am glad that your game is running smoothly now :) That is great!
  • Options
    Lizziguin wrote: »
    Yes, I have specifically noticed that my game lags more ever since the new patch. I've already done repair, clean new folder and even deleted stuff from my library on the gallery. I've even fiddled with the graphics as well. Nothing seems to make it improve at all. It definitely isn't game breaking so far but it is very annoying that it's basically stuttering. I haven't tried the 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode thing for the game so that's my next thing to test out.

Hello
    If you were previously playing the game in 64 bit mode, it would be go and check to see if the game has reset your settings after the patch back to 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit mode.
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Then there are options to either change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Or change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 64-bit”
    Try changing it back to 64 bit mode if it has been reset to 32 bit mode.

Playing in off line mode can also help.
  • Options
    LizziguinLizziguin Posts: 1,126 Member
    It seems a little bit smoother in the 64 bit mode but it still lags just a little. I see an improvement though.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Lizziguin wrote: »
    It seems a little bit smoother in the 64 bit mode but it still lags just a little. I see an improvement though.

I am glad that switching back to 64 bit mode has been an improvement to your game.
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    rudolpha wrote: »
    I just wanted to add that the lag did not start with the patch, but with the day of the dead update. When this began I had momentary lags that didn't last long, which I assumed was due to creation of special characters. It was worsened with the patch. I updated to 74 bit in Origin which helped but there is still some lagging.

This happened to me as well. With Day of the Dead. Patch has made things worse and I will be sending my DxDiag.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    I just wanted to add that the lag did not start with the patch, but with the day of the dead update. When this began I had momentary lags that didn't last long, which I assumed was due to creation of special characters. It was worsened with the patch. I updated to 74 bit in Origin which helped but there is still some lagging.

This happened to me as well. With Day of the Dead. Patch has made things worse and I will be sending my DxDiag.

Hello
    Try also moving your tray folder to the desktop and testing to see if that helps the issue.
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member

Hello
    Try also moving your tray folder to the desktop and testing to see if that helps the issue.

I'll definitely try that, too. I feel like it's the Sims 3 all over again where I'm constantly emptying the tray and doing all kinds of stuff to help it run. And I have the highest computer made for gaming. Ugh...
    iTvMKZ8.jpg