May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 is laggy-ish after the pre-CL patch

Comments

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @rosemow

Thanks for all your information I have tried everything but removing the tray folder yet but sadly after this latest patch my game is freezing all the time and the jump bug is happening often in my game as well. ( no mods/cc and good PC specs. )

I wanted to ask how do I play 4 in offline mode as I was not aware we could do that? Also I have noticed that whenever I go from the game to the gallery I have to connect to the internet again anyway despite already having Origin open at the time?

Also the tray folder I read this is our gallery/library of things we have downloaded? If so won't removing the folder remove our library?

After I have tried these 2 extra actions I am not sure what to do next to stop these bugs and I am getting really worried now that I will not be able to play city life properly when its released either..
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,665 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @rosemow

Thanks for all your information I have tried everything but removing the tray folder yet but sadly after this latest patch my game is freezing all the time and the jump bug is happening often in my game as well. ( no mods/cc and good PC specs. )

I wanted to ask how do I play 4 in offline mode as I was not aware we could do that? Also I have noticed that whenever I go from the game to the gallery I have to connect to the internet again anyway despite already having Origin open at the time?

Also the tray folder I read this is our gallery/library of things we have downloaded? If so won't removing the folder remove our library?

After I have tried these 2 extra actions I am not sure what to do next to stop these bugs and I am getting really worried now that I will not be able to play city life properly when its released either..

Hello
    To play in offline mode, log in to Origin and then click the origin label at the top left hand side of the screen. There is an option to go offline in the drop down menu.

The tray folder contains the files of all the sims and builds that you have saved to your library. If you remove the tray folder, you won't have those items in your library. A new tray folder will be generated when you next start the game and it will just have the ea sims/builds in it that came with the game/packs .

You could put back into this new tray folder the files of the sims and builds that you want or need to still have in your library. You can put the files back into the tray folder as you want to use the sims or builds in your game, then take them out again afterwards.

Each sims household contains 5 files and an extra file for each extra sim. ( 1x .householdbinary, 1x trayitem, 2x .sgi, 1x .hhi and an extra sgi file for each extra sim) A Lot consists of 6-11 files, depending on how many floors your Lot has (1 trayitem file, 1blueprint file and 4 bpi files, and an extra bpi files for each extra floor).
    You can sort the tray folder by date /time and that can help you to find which files relate to which sims household or build.

• Options
    DeeB424DeeB424 Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks @rosemow! When you click Save All Information, it'll allow you to save everything in a text doc. You can copy/paste everything in there to me in a Private Message, or you can upload the text document to a free file sharing site (Google Drive, Dropbox, mediafire, etc). Whatever you prefer :)

I should also mention that DxDiags can only be grabbed on Windows machines. Which brings me to a very important question: is anyone experiencing this lag on a Mac machine?

Thanks much! :)

But I read where there is NO private messaging on the forum :neutral:
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,277 Member
    To sent a pm you have to become a member first.
  • Options
    Puncky99Puncky99 Posts: 338 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Nailikita wrote: »
    Replying to state I'm having similar issues, where the game will periodically lag for short periods of time, happening often enough that I can't pin point any action that may be causing it. Initial load did seem to be a bit longer than normal not noticing much increase in other loading screens.

Hello
    Try switching between 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and see if one of those modes helps better than the one mode.
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Or change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 64-bit”

Try playing in offline mode and see if that helps.

Simmers have also been finding that their tray folder ( which holds the files of the sims and households that they have in their library ) has been causing issues.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop , then test to see if the issues remain. If it helps, then just put back into the new tray folder that has been generated in the sims 4 folder the files of the sims and builds that you want or need to still have in your library. You can put the files back into the tray folder as you want to use the sims or builds in your game, then take them out again afterwards.

Your tray folder ( in your sims 4 folder ) contains the files of the sims households and the lots that you have saved to your library. Each sims household contains 5 files and an extra file for each extra sim. ( 1x .householdbinary, 1x trayitem, 2x .sgi, 1x .hhi and an extra sgi file for each extra sim) A Lot consists of 6-11 files, depending on how many floors your Lot has (1 trayitem file, 1blueprint file and 4 bpi files, and an extra bpi files for each extra floor).
    You can sort the tray folder by date /time and that can help you to find which files relate to which sims household or build.

@rosemow Thanks rosemow. Now I finally know where to look for in my Tray folder. :)

But there is definitely something wrong with the Tray folder. I saved a lot to the Gallery today and there are 20 TRAYITEM files in my Tray folder and another 11 a minute later. All from the same lot.
    Also a lastException.txt file in the Sims 4 folder!

Tray%20folder%2030.10.2016_zpsf1djcozx.png
    Onderschrift_Luna_1_met_Logo_zpsbwcad4il.jpg

EA ID: Simmie99
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/MoonshineSim
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MoonshineSim/
    Please visit my website for more of my creations.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Hi @rosemow

I tuned off origin in game and moved the Tray folder

I have tried to test enough before getting back to you too quickly and while this problem does require further testing so far the freezing problem appears to have gone but the jump bug remains

It happens a lot but the following example is one where my sim has cooked meal for his visitors and when he calls everyone to meal they go to pick up a plate from the main plate and they jump back from the table and the food is on the floor.. pic below. I would really like to get this sorted as its really annoying..

10_30_16_1_26_37_PM.pngscreen capture

Also could you explain if there is a way to be able to identify which lots and sims those numbers refer to in the tray folder as looking at the dates does not really give me much of an idea as I have been downloading and adding lots since my last upgrade a little while ago. Is there a way I can save the files that relate to specific lots and back them up using the gallery or if it cannot be done from the gallery any other way to save the lot files rather than downloading through the gallery directly?

My idea is to save a folder for each lot and back them up then add them back directly to the tray folder should I need to do this again? ( I hope that makes sense-) if that's something that can be done someway..

EDIT: I decided as I had taken the tray folder out to re-download the lots I like to use in game then check the new tray folder and copy the files and save them however when I went into the gallery it is telling me these lots are already downloaded yet all I have in my current library is the usual ones you get when you first start the game and go into the gallery for the first time?
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    Hi @rosemow

I have tried to test enough before getting back to you too quickly and while this problem does require further testing so far the freezing problem appears to have gone but the jump bug remains

It happens a lot but the following example is one where my sim has cooked meal for his visitors and when he calls everyone to meal they go to pick up a plate from the main plate and they jump back from the table and the food is on the floor.. pic below. I would really like to get this sorted as its really annoying..

Also could you explain if there is a way to be able to identify which lots and sims those numbers refer to in the tray folder as looking at the dates does not really give me much of an idea as I have been downloading and adding lots since my last upgrade a little while ago. Is there a way I can save the files that relate to specific lots and back them up using the gallery or if it cannot be done from the gallery any other way to save the lot files rather than downloading through the gallery directly?

My idea is to save a folder for each lot and back them up then add them back directly to the tray folder should I need to do this again? ( I hope that makes sense-) if that's something that can be done someway..

You can download and install sims 4 trey importer. I does just that, lets you import your trey files and shows which ones are related to which lot.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    Hi @rosemow

You can download and install sims 4 trey importer. I does just that, lets you import your trey files and shows which ones are related to which lot.

Omigosh I love you. Does it show households too?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Hi @rosemow

@luthienrising It shows everything that you have in you gallery)
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    Hi @rosemow

Sweet. I've been keeping my HUGE Tray folder outside the game for ages now but want to be able to put back in selected bits only. This is awesome :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    @luthienrising

I found what I think @PrincessVee is talking about on the following link

http://luniversims.com/files/file/73-sims-4-tray-importer/

I like the idea but as I am not a long time player of 4 I am finding it difficult to understand as I don't know how all my folders and files work yet..
  • Options
    @luthienrising

I found what I think @PrincessVee is talking about on the following link

http://luniversims.com/files/file/73-sims-4-tray-importer/

I like the idea but as I am not a long time player of 4 I am finding it difficult to understand as I don't know how all my folders and files work yet..

@SPARKY1922 this program is really easy to understand once you install it. You click on a picture of your household/lot on the left. On the right it will show you what CC it uses ( if you use CC). In the bottom, there will be "export" button. You click it and choose where to save. And bingo!

• Options
    Hi @rosemow

Sweet. I've been keeping my HUGE Tray folder outside the game for ages now but want to be able to put back in selected bits only. This is awesome :)

I have a huge tray folder too, but I'm too lazy/greedy to take anything out :smiley:
    But if I ever decide to do it I'll use tray importer to import all the lots/households that I need. I will make 1 big folder named "sims 4 gallery/library" or something like that and put all of the individual lots/households into individual subfolders with pictures/ screenshots to remember what they are.

• Options
    Hi @rosemow

I have a huge tray folder too, but I'm too lazy/greedy to take anything out :smiley:
    But if I ever decide to do it I'll use tray importer to import all the lots/households that I need. I will make 1 big folder named "sims 4 gallery/library" or something like that and put all of the individual lots/households into individual subfolders with pictures/ screenshots to remember what they are.

I've been thinking I'd group mine up a bit, but love the screenshot idea!
  • Options
    @PrincessVee

Is this for use in the Gallery? or can i use it when I find a lot online as well that I download and use the save option?

I think what has happened to me at the moment is as I am following Rosemow's instructions to try get rid of a couple of issues in game when I tried to go into the gallery in game my library loads with EA's stuff but none of my previous gallery player downloads as I removed my tray folder and switched Origin off in game so I think that has something to do with it..oddly when I searched online to find the lots I would like to download save and back up it takes me straight back to the gallery where it states the lots are already downloaded its not lol

When I get my game up and running properly again I will give it a go especially with regards CC as I thought if I ticked no CC in game options that when I downloaded lots or sims from the gallery CC would not be included in any downloads is that correct?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    @PrincessVee

Is this for use in the Gallery? or can i use it when I find a lot online as well that I download and use the save option?

I think what has happened to me at the moment is as I am following Rosemow's instructions to try get rid of a couple of issues in game when I tried to go into the gallery in game my library loads with EA's stuff but none of my previous gallery player downloads as I removed my tray folder and switched Origin off in game so I think that has something to do with it..oddly when I searched online to find the lots I would like to download save and back up it takes me straight back to the gallery where it states the lots are already downloaded its not lol

When I get my game up and running properly again I will give it a go especially with regards CC as I thought if I ticked no CC in game options that when I downloaded lots or sims from the gallery CC would not be included in any downloads is that correct?

Tray = your local Library. Gallery = online uploads. They're separate things. I believe the Gallery will remember what you downloaded even if you can't access your Library because you moved it.
    CC doesn't get included in downloads no matter what; the CC tickbox just means you don't (supposedly) see any content that was made with CC, so what you see is what you get.
  • Options
    Thank you @luthienrising

• Options
    georgeandjudycasgeorgeandjudycas Posts: 191 Member
    Hello Everyone

I too have a problem with lagging since the latest patch. I have tried the repair game option - did nothing. Tried the other repair option - nothing changed. I have no cc or mods. I looked in to the tray folder. Unfortunately, I have over 5000 items in there, so I would not know where to begin to replace the items I use. Plus, all of my sims and their families are people I made or are from the gallery. The same for many of my houses and venues. So, unless I want to start over..., I guess I'm stuck. I hope the people who created this patch fix it soon. It is a shame that we pay EA for a product, then they break it, then we have to find a work-around for their carelessness.

:( JudyC
  • Options
    Hello @SPARKY1922
    If you are still having the issue with your sims resetting, try moving the mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem.

This is link to a thread that contains a list of some of the broken /updated mods since the last patch
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/903114/broken-updated-mods-oct-27-16-cl
  • Options
    Puncky99 wrote: »
    rosemow wrote: »
    Nailikita wrote: »
    Replying to state I'm having similar issues, where the game will periodically lag for short periods of time, happening often enough that I can't pin point any action that may be causing it. Initial load did seem to be a bit longer than normal not noticing much increase in other loading screens.

Hello
    Try switching between 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and see if one of those modes helps better than the one mode.
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

Try playing in offline mode and see if that helps.

Simmers have also been finding that their tray folder ( which holds the files of the sims and households that they have in their library ) has been causing issues.
    Try moving your tray folder to the desktop , then test to see if the issues remain. If it helps, then just put back into the new tray folder that has been generated in the sims 4 folder the files of the sims and builds that you want or need to still have in your library. You can put the files back into the tray folder as you want to use the sims or builds in your game, then take them out again afterwards.

Your tray folder ( in your sims 4 folder ) contains the files of the sims households and the lots that you have saved to your library. Each sims household contains 5 files and an extra file for each extra sim. ( 1x .householdbinary, 1x trayitem, 2x .sgi, 1x .hhi and an extra sgi file for each extra sim) A Lot consists of 6-11 files, depending on how many floors your Lot has (1 trayitem file, 1blueprint file and 4 bpi files, and an extra bpi files for each extra floor).

@rosemow Thanks rosemow. Now I finally know where to look for in my Tray folder. :)

But there is definitely something wrong with the Tray folder. I saved a lot to the Gallery today and there are 20 TRAYITEM files in my Tray folder and another 11 a minute later. All from the same lot.
    Also a lastException.txt file in the Sims 4 folder!

Tray%20folder%2030.10.2016_zpsf1djcozx.png

Hello .
    You're welcome :)
    Try saving another lot to your library and see if the same thing occurs,
  • Options
    @georgeandjudycas

I may not be much help as 4 is the least series I play however when I have problems I often follow more techie minded players then myself and at the moment I am following @rosemow 12.12pm post above instructions and my freeze lag problem resolved itself but not the jump bug I am also experiencing.. so you could try following that advice. On the problem with removing the tray folder I saved mine but unfortunately as some sims and lots were downloaded a while ago and I cannot see which one is what I have allowed a clean sims 4 folder to generate by naming the one I am playing old and then going into the gallery and downloading 1 lot at a time then copying those files from the tray folder of the newly generated folder then backing them up so if this ever happens again I can copy and paste the lot/sim files directly into the tray folder rather than trying to find everything again in the gallery.. I know this is a long winded workaround but at least I now know where my fav lots/sims are backed up and can use them again easily.. :)

• Options
    @rosemow

I don't use mods or CC with Sims 4 at all..so am wondering what else could be causing the problem?
  • Options
    Hello Everyone

I too have a problem with lagging since the latest patch. I have tried the repair game option - did nothing. Tried the other repair option - nothing changed. I have no cc or mods. I looked in to the tray folder. Unfortunately, I have over 5000 items in there, so I would not know where to begin to replace the items I use. Plus, all of my sims and their families are people I made or are from the gallery. The same for many of my houses and venues. So, unless I want to start over..., I guess I'm stuck. I hope the people who created this patch fix it soon. It is a shame that we pay EA for a product, then they break it, then we have to find a work-around for their carelessness.

:( JudyC

Hello
    Try checking to see if the game has reset your settings after the patch back to 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit mode.
    Then there are options to either change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Try changing it back to 64 bit mode if it has been reset to 32 bit mode.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @rosemow

I don't use mods or CC with Sims 4 at all..so am wondering what else could be causing the problem?

Hello
    Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder