Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeling upset about the forums today

15678911...Next

Comments

• Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    The rules specifically say what we can and can't talk about. Yeah free speech and all, but rules are rules.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    I'm going to sleep now. I need to dream about freedom and respect.

I won't be returning to this thread because it'll be gone in a few hours
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I feel like The Sims 4 is no longer "play your own way", but "think the way you're intended to think". I'm very happy about all of those that are enjoying the update, however I couldn't exactly get into the game after today, after I got to understand that one side of simmers will always get censored.

1. The game will never have cultural traditions, or religion. Mere mention of these things will shut your thread down (as well as this one eventually, probably. Will try to take pictures of the thread beforehand though).
    2. You're bad, evil, or backwards if you are uncomfortable with the new gender settings. That is what the forum will label you. Poland didn't even do a write up about the new update and everyone is bashing the country, instead of carefully considering the views and needs of other countries.
    3. Just asking "can updates be optional?" got my thread deleted. Seriously. I suppose updates will never be optional, no matter how major the change is.
    4. Tried contacting customer support, they said that it's a developer issue and if an update upsets me I should come and post here, however posting here gets the threads deleted.

Overall I feel like the more conservative simmers are not welcome on the forums or in game. Even if you're rather open minded and just not too comfortable with, for example, two men being able to have a baby, you have no way to take those options out of your game.

EDIT, made a video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob81Xv9_EdU

After reading the first thread I saw on this patch, today, where people said you could toggle off some things, I went back into my game and looked at the gameplay settings and didn't find anywhere where I could toggle off anything other than what was there prior to the patch. Then I decided to get into CAS and have a look at things. I did take time to read the patch notes, too, before I played my game. In creating a new Sim, underneath the traditional symbols for male and female, there is a set of ellipses dots (). If you click on that, you'll see options. You can set a Sim to get pregnant: Yes; No and I vaguely recall a third option which I think was Never, but don't quote me on that. You can also set that Sim (mine was a female that came up automatically) to feminine; masculine and a few other choices. From the notes I recall that this will only affect the Sims you create, not the townies. Since EA opted to do it this way, that allows the rest of us, who aren't in support of this twist, to continue to play our game as if this option didn't exist. I'm perfectly okay with that. Really.

I'm a very conservative, religious individual, so I get where you're coming from. I'm also very much into biology (inasmuch as I got an A in it back in school) and there is no way in Zzyzx two males will ever create a life between them, unless one is cloned. But, some enjoy their dystopia. This will make them happy and enjoy the game. In my not-so-humble opinion, so long as it won't splash into my personal game play style, why not let the others have their way on this?

Her post isn't about the gameplay in this patch as much as it is about how she is being censored and hated for saying she isn't in love with the patch. I know several patches that made me very disappointed but being it's about gender neutral clothing others take it she's against them when she's not. Personally, I'm disappointed we don't have toddles in two years and they spent so much time (they said a year) making this happen when I still have bugs and can't play because of them and don't have toddlers. I'm happy they made things optional but not happy where their priorities are.

I feel exactly the same. To be quite honest I am baffled why they prioritised this over bug fixes, toddlers and addressing the complaints that culling and ineffective traits ruin the game.

In the scheme of things, there were more important things to spend a year working on in my opinion.

Agree.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    I feel like The Sims 4 is no longer "play your own way", but "think the way you're intended to think". I'm very happy about all of those that are enjoying the update, however I couldn't exactly get into the game after today, after I got to understand that one side of simmers will always get censored.

1. The game will never have cultural traditions, or religion. Mere mention of these things will shut your thread down (as well as this one eventually, probably. Will try to take pictures of the thread beforehand though).
    2. You're bad, evil, or backwards if you are uncomfortable with the new gender settings. That is what the forum will label you. Poland didn't even do a write up about the new update and everyone is bashing the country, instead of carefully considering the views and needs of other countries.
    3. Just asking "can updates be optional?" got my thread deleted. Seriously. I suppose updates will never be optional, no matter how major the change is.
    4. Tried contacting customer support, they said that it's a developer issue and if an update upsets me I should come and post here, however posting here gets the threads deleted.

Overall I feel like the more conservative simmers are not welcome on the forums or in game. Even if you're rather open minded and just not too comfortable with, for example, two men being able to have a baby, you have no way to take those options out of your game.

After reading the first thread I saw on this patch, today, where people said you could toggle off some things, I went back into my game and looked at the gameplay settings and didn't find anywhere where I could toggle off anything other than what was there prior to the patch. Then I decided to get into CAS and have a look at things. I did take time to read the patch notes, too, before I played my game. In creating a new Sim, underneath the traditional symbols for male and female, there is a set of ellipses dots (). If you click on that, you'll see options. You can set a Sim to get pregnant: Yes; No and I vaguely recall a third option which I think was Never, but don't quote me on that. You can also set that Sim (mine was a female that came up automatically) to feminine; masculine and a few other choices. From the notes I recall that this will only affect the Sims you create, not the townies. Since EA opted to do it this way, that allows the rest of us, who aren't in support of this twist, to continue to play our game as if this option didn't exist. I'm perfectly okay with that. Really.

I'm a very conservative, religious individual, so I get where you're coming from. I'm also very much into biology (inasmuch as I got an A in it back in school) and there is no way in Zzyzx two males will ever create a life between them, unless one is cloned. But, some enjoy their dystopia. This will make them happy and enjoy the game. In my not-so-humble opinion, so long as it won't splash into my personal game play style, why not let the others have their way on this?

Her post isn't about the gameplay in this patch as much as it is about how she is being censored and hated for saying she isn't in love with the patch. I know several patches that made me very disappointed but being it's about gender neutral clothing others take it she's against them when she's not. Personally, I'm disappointed we don't have toddles in two years and they spent so much time (they said a year) making this happen when I still have bugs and can't play because of them and don't have toddlers. I'm happy they made things optional but not happy where their priorities are.

I feel exactly the same. To be quite honest I am baffled why they prioritised this over bug fixes, toddlers and addressing the complaints that culling and ineffective traits ruin the game.

In the scheme of things, there were more important things to spend a year working on in my opinion.

I agree with you on bug fixes and whatnot, but let's be fair now - toddlers are every bit as subjective as any other content update for the game and while I do still support getting them back and believe they should be brought back out of principal, as someone who actually doesn't have much of an interest in the age group I find it difficult to personally elevate it above any other content.

For some people this update might mean just as much to them as toddlers means to someone else.
  • Options
    xtahwyashctibxtahwyashctib Posts: 39 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    But that's the right we're being denied on these forums.

Privately-owned companies, such as Maxis, that aren't owned by the government do not have to follow the first amendment in a way. Some amendments can be ignored completely by privately-owned companies and the privately-owned companies can make their own rules, while most must be followed.

That doesn't make it right.

EA isn't stopping you from expressing any opinion you like. You're free to post a blog with anything. You can even defame them.....you might get sued over it but you can say it.

As far as this site...think of EA like a parent who says....my house my rules.

EA IS stopping us from expressing opinions. We're not free to post a blog with anything, because it gets taken down. The difference is that if you are sued, your opinion is still out there, whereas censorship eradicates the opinion.

Does EA have that kind of influence outside of this website?

I can understand EA having a say in what is put up here since this is their place and they've put up rules that, while make sense, do technically infringe on someone's freedom of speech but I haven't heard of EA actively censoring someone's external blog.

The fan sites have been censoring these comments too.

Most people don't take lightly to hate comments and rude remarks on their page. I don't blame them. And LOL about the freedom of speech comment. Does not apply here whatsoever, but I appreciate you trying to rule the courtroom for a day.
  • Options
    Can i not edit my post? The freedom of speech comment was to whoever you quoted.
  • Options

I agree with you on bug fixes and whatnot, but let's be fair now - toddlers are every bit as subjective as any other content update for the game and while I do still support getting them back and believe they should be brought back out of principal, as someone who actually doesn't have much of an interest in the age group I find it difficult to personally elevate it above any other content.

For some people this update might mean just as much to them as toddlers means to someone else.

I'm sure it does, however, we were told toddlers would be a priority then find they spent a year on this....priorities mean first in my mind. And why some of us can actually, legally be disappointed.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited June 2016

I disagree. Toddlers are not subjective. There is no argument anyone can make that it is acceptable for baby to turn into a child. Toddlers should have been in the base game. They were in the base game of the two predecessors. Toddlers are a fundamental life stage of every human being.

This update is to pander a minuscule minority and generate publicity.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I disagree. Toddlers are not subjective. There is no argument anyone can make that it is acceptable for baby to turn into a child. Toddlers should have been in the base game. Toddlers are a fundamental life stage of every human being.

It may be pandering I said as much in a thread that was deleted. It goes well just in time for the GP, right. ETA: Or any real life event about to be heard.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I agree. I would think a lot of family players see this priority as insulting and I just hope they still get them. I'm glad the patch will be good for a lot of players but I want fixes and supernaturals. Every time patch notes are posted I hope for long standing bug fixes and they don't seem to happen.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

I'm sure it does, however, we were told toddlers would be a priority then find they spent a year on this....priorities mean first in my mind. And why some of us can actually, legally be disappointed.

They never said Toddlers would be a priority, you're misquoting them. They specifically said if they were to add another lifestate then toddlers would take priority. (Referring to Pre Teens)
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options

Mind linking where they specifically said toddlers were a priority?
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited June 2016

I disagree. Toddlers are not subjective. There is no argument anyone can make that it is acceptable for baby to turn into a child. Toddlers should have been in the base game. Toddlers are a fundamental life stage of every human being.

It may be pandering I said as much in a thread that was deleted. It goes well just in time for the GP, right.

Yep.

I purchased all of the content I did not have whilst the 30% Origin sale was on as I have recently been enjoying creating sims. I don't actually play the main game as I am waiting for it to be updated to state where I can enjoy it. I am almost out of patience now. I am seriously considering getting a refund and uninstalling this game.

I have no problem with this update, but I think they should have addressed the bugs, the lack of toddlers, and the problems some of us have with culling, the family tree, and ineffective sim traits and A.I. before this CAS change. They spent a year on this?!

Call me cynical, but surely if they really wanted to be progressive they would have originally made the game with these CAS options. Surely it would have been quicker than going back and reworking what they had already created?

This is a publicity stunt.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member

Fair enough, but to me toddlers are subjective because not everybody is going to feel the same way towards them and place the same level of importance on them. Teens are also a fundamental life stage but they have been relegated to being pseudo adults and for me they lack a great deal of individual content to make them stand out and shine. Elders are a fundamental life stage but in my opinion it is a life stage that has been consistently ignored since it was introduced.

Different things are important to different people.
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    This thread is closed until I read through responses.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top