Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeling upset about the forums today

Comments

• Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Okay, so I read through this whole thread and I have one thing to say.

People have all the right to censor you if you are on a site that is owned by them/ran by them.

Freedom of Speech only means that you can not be arrested/censored by the government for what you say
    This does not mean that groups that OWN/RUN the website you are using to express your opinion, can not censor you. It is THEIR website, they have every right to control the type of content that is discussed in it, whether or not you agree with what they do. On the internet, where you can literally have someone's comment flagged and deleted by the staff, there is no freedom of speech in the sense that there is in the real world.

Is it moral though?

They've censored users against this update, yet kept @aaronjc123 comment where he called all religion "universally awful".

That is not moral.
    What is moral is subjective, it up for the mods of the site to decide what is allowed and what isn't.
    I personally do not agree when people say universally awful.
    Can people use it as an excuse for doing awful things? Yes.
    The 🐸🐸🐸🐸, and other terrorist groups have done this exact thing.
    But there are people who have used religion as a way to better themselves and help themselves through tough times. It can be good and it can both be bad, just like most things in this world.

No, morality is set in stone.
  • Options
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I feel like The Sims 4 is no longer "play your own way", but "think the way you're intended to think". I'm very happy about all of those that are enjoying the update, however I couldn't exactly get into the game after today, after I got to understand that one side of simmers will always get censored.

1. The game will never have cultural traditions, or religion. Mere mention of these things will shut your thread down (as well as this one eventually, probably. Will try to take pictures of the thread beforehand though).
    2. You're bad, evil, or backwards if you are uncomfortable with the new gender settings. That is what the forum will label you. Poland didn't even do a write up about the new update and everyone is bashing the country, instead of carefully considering the views and needs of other countries.
    3. Just asking "can updates be optional?" got my thread deleted. Seriously. I suppose updates will never be optional, no matter how major the change is.
    4. Tried contacting customer support, they said that it's a developer issue and if an update upsets me I should come and post here, however posting here gets the threads deleted.

Overall I feel like the more conservative simmers are not welcome on the forums or in game. Even if you're rather open minded and just not too comfortable with, for example, two men being able to have a baby, you have no way to take those options out of your game.

EDIT, made a video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob81Xv9_EdU

After reading the first thread I saw on this patch, today, where people said you could toggle off some things, I went back into my game and looked at the gameplay settings and didn't find anywhere where I could toggle off anything other than what was there prior to the patch. Then I decided to get into CAS and have a look at things. I did take time to read the patch notes, too, before I played my game. In creating a new Sim, underneath the traditional symbols for male and female, there is a set of ellipses dots (). If you click on that, you'll see options. You can set a Sim to get pregnant: Yes; No and I vaguely recall a third option which I think was Never, but don't quote me on that. You can also set that Sim (mine was a female that came up automatically) to feminine; masculine and a few other choices. From the notes I recall that this will only affect the Sims you create, not the townies. Since EA opted to do it this way, that allows the rest of us, who aren't in support of this twist, to continue to play our game as if this option didn't exist. I'm perfectly okay with that. Really.

I'm a very conservative, religious individual, so I get where you're coming from. I'm also very much into biology (inasmuch as I got an A in it back in school) and there is no way in Zzyzx two males will ever create a life between them, unless one is cloned. But, some enjoy their dystopia. This will make them happy and enjoy the game. In my not-so-humble opinion, so long as it won't splash into my personal game play style, why not let the others have their way on this?

It's the players who have tried to fit a game that comes with all sorts of oddities into the mold of a completely realistic game and then complain when it doesn't fit.

And as paying customers, we should be allowed to do that.
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    I'm not American but I always had the impression that the whole idea behind the first ammendment was to stop the Government from arresting and persecuting you for talking smack about the Government (because you know, Goverments are powerful and need some limitations placed on them to avoid abuse of that power), not so that everyone with an opinion has an excuse to proclaim his/her right to shout it from the rooftops.
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member

People have all the right to censor you if you are on a site that is owned by them/ran by them.

Freedom of Speech only means that you can not be arrested/censored by the government for what you say
    This does not mean that groups that OWN/RUN the website you are using to express your opinion, can not censor you. It is THEIR website, they have every right to control the type of content that is discussed in it, whether or not you agree with what they do. On the internet, where you can literally have someone's comment flagged and deleted by the staff, there is no freedom of speech in the sense that there is in the real world.

Surely that's the same thing. A government runs a country in the same way that a moderator runs a site.
    No. It is not the same thing. Not in the slightest.
    Freedom of Speech was created because people were getting thrown in jail and killed by the government for voicing their opinions and because of what they believed in.
    Some moderator on a site banning you or deleting your post is no way equivalent to this.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I feel like The Sims 4 is no longer "play your own way", but "think the way you're intended to think". I'm very happy about all of those that are enjoying the update, however I couldn't exactly get into the game after today, after I got to understand that one side of simmers will always get censored.

1. The game will never have cultural traditions, or religion. Mere mention of these things will shut your thread down (as well as this one eventually, probably. Will try to take pictures of the thread beforehand though).
    2. You're bad, evil, or backwards if you are uncomfortable with the new gender settings. That is what the forum will label you. Poland didn't even do a write up about the new update and everyone is bashing the country, instead of carefully considering the views and needs of other countries.
    3. Just asking "can updates be optional?" got my thread deleted. Seriously. I suppose updates will never be optional, no matter how major the change is.
    4. Tried contacting customer support, they said that it's a developer issue and if an update upsets me I should come and post here, however posting here gets the threads deleted.

Overall I feel like the more conservative simmers are not welcome on the forums or in game. Even if you're rather open minded and just not too comfortable with, for example, two men being able to have a baby, you have no way to take those options out of your game.

EDIT, made a video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob81Xv9_EdU

After reading the first thread I saw on this patch, today, where people said you could toggle off some things, I went back into my game and looked at the gameplay settings and didn't find anywhere where I could toggle off anything other than what was there prior to the patch. Then I decided to get into CAS and have a look at things. I did take time to read the patch notes, too, before I played my game. In creating a new Sim, underneath the traditional symbols for male and female, there is a set of ellipses dots (). If you click on that, you'll see options. You can set a Sim to get pregnant: Yes; No and I vaguely recall a third option which I think was Never, but don't quote me on that. You can also set that Sim (mine was a female that came up automatically) to feminine; masculine and a few other choices. From the notes I recall that this will only affect the Sims you create, not the townies. Since EA opted to do it this way, that allows the rest of us, who aren't in support of this twist, to continue to play our game as if this option didn't exist. I'm perfectly okay with that. Really.

I'm a very conservative, religious individual, so I get where you're coming from. I'm also very much into biology (inasmuch as I got an A in it back in school) and there is no way in Zzyzx two males will ever create a life between them, unless one is cloned. But, some enjoy their dystopia. This will make them happy and enjoy the game. In my not-so-humble opinion, so long as it won't splash into my personal game play style, why not let the others have their way on this?

Is this supposed to be a kind of left handed support? I'm confused. You say that you are okay with the way things were implemented and it won't interfere with your play and yet you refer to playing in a dystopia and mention two of the same sex can't have a baby.

I'll repeat what I've said a few times already.

The Sims is not now or ever has been a realistic game.

It's the players who have tried to fit a game that comes with all sorts of oddities into the mold of a completely realistic game and then complain when it doesn't fit.

And the reason I don't have alien abduction pregnancy. It would have been well loved in TS1. But today, people want to play all reality well if they do that means everybody else's life should be included and that means disabled and people of some faith among just a few.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

Is it moral though?

They've censored users against this update, yet kept @aaronjc123 comment where he called all religion "universally awful".

That is not moral.
    What is moral is subjective, it up for the mods of the site to decide what is allowed and what isn't.
    But there are people who have used religion as a way to better themselves and help themselves through tough times. It can be good and it can both be bad, just like most things in this world.

You are entitled to think that, but I feel morality does fluctuate, perhaps as our circumstances fluctuate; as a species we have to be able to adapt to different situations; and while an individual may believe that some things are universally wrong, other things may become (more) right or (more) wrong depending on the circumstances.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    The exit is on the right.

Really? We are not allowed to say that to the Toddler Whining Brigade and they've been poisoning the forums since before I got here.

Really?

Yeah, really. Are you new here? Anything positive said about the game in the ladt few months is shouted down by the Recreationally Outraged Toddler Whiners. Topics are closed and users harrassed and mocked.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2016
    I actually don't know what point you're trying to make. I just read the entire amendment, and it only supports my argument.
    Obviously you didn't otherwise you would have understood that there is more than just freedom of speech with it. Anyways, with regards with religion and political debates, both are not allowed according to the forum rules that we have to follow.

Forum rules: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801207/updated-forum-rules#latest
      • Any form of hate speech • Sexism • Racism • Politics, religion, or lobbyism • Personal defamation • Naming and shaming • Gossiping about other persons - No Casting Aspersions. No matter what your personal opinion is of any individual, this forum is not the place to post rude or disparaging remarks about anyone. This includes public figures, EA employees and other forum users.
    All of the above have been broken in this thread alone.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    But it doesn't change your game, at all. You can still have your old cas so what is the problem? It's not like EA has switched men and women clothing forcing you into anything. They just gave everyone more options if they want to use them

I'm happy they didn't but it's to the point we can't even ask for some sort of gameplay about religion like The Sims Medieval had because even bringing up that sort of gameplay is against rules. I don't get that.

Because religion isn't the same as clothing and being transgender...

I may differ in opinion with you about that. Life simulator going to include all then let's do it and include all.

Sure you want to include all? Because then shouldn't it include cults and everything

Actually, with Get Together I already have cults.
  • Options
    kokoro80 wrote: »
    I'm not American but I always had the impression that the whole idea behind the first ammendment was to stop the Government from arresting and persecuting you for talking smack about the Government (because you know, Goverments are powerful and need some limitations placed on them to avoid abuse of that power), not so that everyone with an opinion has an excuse to proclaim his/her right to shout it from the rooftops.

Half right but the latter is also true.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited June 2016

Is it moral though?

That is not moral.

To quote another site: "Morality is a man-made concept that is defined by the society you live in; it is subjective. There is nothing called morality in nature. You cannot observe morality or test it in a laboratory. There is no absolute "morality." "

There is no absolute to anything that man has created themselves, not even words, as the definition of those change almost on yearly bases.

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Is it moral though?

That is not moral.

Morality is fluid and flows to each person or culture in it's own way.

Morality can be personal or belonging to a culture. What is perfectly acceptable in one culture could be reprehensible in another.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    But it doesn't change your game, at all. You can still have your old cas so what is the problem? It's not like EA has switched men and women clothing forcing you into anything. They just gave everyone more options if they want to use them

I'm happy they didn't but it's to the point we can't even ask for some sort of gameplay about religion like The Sims Medieval had because even bringing up that sort of gameplay is against rules. I don't get that.

Because religion isn't the same as clothing and being transgender...

I may differ in opinion with you about that. Life simulator going to include all then let's do it and include all.

Sure you want to include all? Because then shouldn't it include cults and everything

Actually, with Get Together I already have cults.
    And with your suggestion, there you go guys! you have religion, create a group and call it religion have them read books and wear funny clothes, get together in an old building. Done and done
  • Options
    @06Bon06, you know I love you, lol, you always make me laugh. I already have cults, in group talks. Massive cults that decide there is nothing to do but get into a group talk.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    I actually don't know what point you're trying to make. I just read the entire amendment, and it only supports my argument.
    Obviously you didn't otherwise you would have understood that there is more than just freedom of speech with it.

It included freedom of speech and freedom of religion, belief and opinion.

I don't see what you're trying to say.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2016

Pretty much this in a way.

The freedom of speech allows us to say what we want, and whenever we want. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

Really? We are not allowed to say that to the Toddler Whining Brigade and they've been poisoning the forums since before I got here.

Really?

Yeah, really. Are you new here? Anything positive said about the game in the ladt few months is shouted down by the Recreationally Outraged Toddler Whiners. Topics are closed and users harrassed and mocked.

Really? Because I've been sent PM's from people on your side.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

Is it moral though?

That is not moral.

To quote another site: "Morality is a man-made concept that is defined by the society you live in; it is subjective. There is nothing called morality in nature. You cannot observe morality or test it in a laboratory. There is no absolute "morality." "

There is no absolute to ANYTHING that is man-made, not even words, as the definition of those change almost on a yearly bases.

Well, that's a wide, unanswered debate within philosophy and the like -- do humans have an innate idea of morality and what is "fair"? Many people sit at both sides of the fence.
  • Options

Really?

Why are you breaking the rules calling real people whiners? It's o.k. to think it but not say it out loud.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    @mirta000

I understand your point completely. I think the gurus are really trying to make people feel represented in the game, and I think that is why they decided to add these options. I think they wanted to represent a specific community that is still marginalised globally. I'm very happy that people can now feel that they can finally make themselves in the game. I also think they they've done a really good job making these features entirely optional, so players that don't like them do not have to use them. I don't think they are trying to force you to think their way, they are just giving people options if they want to use them.

However, I fully agree that they also need to consider other factors that people use to identify themselves. I think they should add cultural clothing such as head scarves, turbans and saris. I don't think that they need to add anything overtly religious, but they should certainly represent the different communities that play this game. Any features or tools that people could use to feel like they are being included should be added imo. It is wrong to discriminate against anyone for their beliefs unless they are intentionally harming others.

It makes me really sad to see that you are feeling left out, and that your thoughts aren't acknowledged. I'm sure the developers did not intend this. I hope they will add more features to support other simmers soon.

I just want to clarify you do not have to use the new options. They are opt-in features. If you want the features removed from the game entirely, you may want to wait a couple of weeks and see if any mods are made for this. I hope that helps a little.
  • Options

Pretty much this.

The freedom of speech allows us to say what we want, and whenever we want; however, some things shouldn't be said in public though... But you are allowed too, since you do have the right to free speech. :)

But that's the right we're being denied on these forums.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

It included freedom of speech and freedom of religion, belief and opinion.

I don't see what you're trying to say.
    Yep that. Which people tend to forget. There is freedom with all of that. But what the US laws allow and what forums allow are two different things.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Random question, if females are usually checked to get pregnant. And your female woohoos a random town with try for baby, will they both get pregnant...
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Being able to voice your displeasure with the government is a large part of it. Freedom of speech also comes with a sort of unwritten rule. You are free to say anything you want but it also comes with taking the responsibility for what you say.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top