Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims with Disabilities?

Comments

• Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Obsessions is def a symptom in some cases as well.
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't get what the traits above and obsessions to skills has to do with Disabilities. Anyone can have an obsession and anyone can be absent minded, over emotional or inappropriate. If we are talking outside the realm of Disabilities aren't some of those traits in game already or am I think TS3.

Maybe high time to cut your losses and focus on something more enjoyable 😉

Edit: and I say that because instead of taking time to think about a concept that can be discussed you restated everything you said before. No one's mind is going to change if you keep using the same points that have already been countered.

That's TS 3.

All of those traits do not exist in Sims 4.

Doesn't answer my other points though. What do they have to do with Disabilities?

I posted the same thing because there's already a lot there.

As for the traits, they are not marked as disabilities, but they're all possible symptoms.

Are you actually for real? Those aren't symptoms of a disability. Anyone can be over emotional, it's not tied to one set of circumstances. Same goes with obsessions, it's not tied down either. You either need to educate yourself further on this whole topic as you are coming off as inappropriate or you need to do a full stop on this discussion.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I don't get what the traits above and obsessions to skills has to do with Disabilities. Anyone can have an obsession and anyone can be absent minded, over emotional or inappropriate. If we are talking outside the realm of Disabilities aren't some of those traits in game already or am I think TS3.

Maybe high time to cut your losses and focus on something more enjoyable 😉

Edit: and I say that because instead of taking time to think about a concept that can be discussed you restated everything you said before. No one's mind is going to change if you keep using the same points that have already been countered.

That's TS 3.

All of those traits do not exist in Sims 4.

Doesn't answer my other points though. What do they have to do with Disabilities?

I posted the same thing because there's already a lot there.

As for the traits, they are not marked as disabilities, but they're all possible symptoms.

Are you actually for real? Those aren't symptoms of a disability. Anyone can be over emotional, it's not tied to one set of circumstances. Same goes with obsessions, it's not tied down either. You either need to educate yourself further on this whole topic as you are coming off as inappropriate or you need to do a full stop on this discussion.

Um... It's not always tied to disabilities, no. I never said that. It's a possible symptom. Here's a quote:

@TemporalGod:

Simmer here with autism and ADHD, I'm more against this kind of representation, however I'm perfectly fine if there's an option toggle I not going to ruin someone else's idea of fun, maybe add inappropriate trait, with my autism I don't have a mental disability it's more of a social disability, I'm high functioning so I'm more neurotypical since it's barely noticeable, the ADHD however makes it impossible to focus on things and remember stuff, sometimes I even forget how to spell certain words or what day of the week it is.
    Post edited by Gamer_34567544 on
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,327 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sorry but it doesn't matter.
    I mean "Who wants LGBT or Muslim in base game ?", Maxis provide the feature and the players do what they want.

I think the studio said they want to do it the right way, so it's only a matter of time.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    It is a rather risky path to take, how do you make an autistic Sim for example and if you had the option to make a Sim in a wheelchair. I think I have three or four lots that are accesible for wheelchairs.
  • Options
    Start very simple.

A small change for wheel chairs: one could add ramps in the stairs section.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2021
    How many times are you going to make this thread? I swear I just commented on a thread just like this a few days ago!

ETA: Here it is:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17957286#Comment_17957286

and

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/992999/who-wants-disabilities-in-base-game#latest

It’s like you keep making the same thread over and over again because you don’t like the responses you’re getting.

They should all be merged at this point.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    How many times are y’all going to make this thread? I swear I just commented on a thread just like this a few days ago!

ETA: Here it is: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/992999/who-wants-disabilities-in-base-game#latest

They should be merged at this point.

I was trying to set it up as best as possible but a poll wasn't a good idea. Once I figure out how to get rid of the polls the conversation will be here- no more extra threads.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,145 Member
    No, Never ever!
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,145 Member
    Speaking from someone who has some disabilities, the idea of putting this in a game is extremely wrong, abusive, prejustice & mean. Games should only be for fun & for players not to think about their long suffering issues. Shame, Shame, Shame!!
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Speaking from someone who has some disabilities, the idea of putting this in a game is extremely wrong, abusive, prejustice & mean. Games should only be for fun & for players not to think about their long suffering issues. Shame, Shame, Shame!!

Not if the one mentioning it has something.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Peral wrote: »
    It is a rather risky path to take, how do you make an autistic Sim for example and if you had the option to make a Sim in a wheelchair. I think I have three or four lots that are accesible for wheelchairs.
    Start very simple.

A small change for wheel chairs: one could add ramps in the stairs section.

Sims in wheelchairs would be kid height kids couldn’t cook before because they had to add an animation to get them up to counter height of them using a step stool. A wheelchair bound sim can’t use a step stool, so you have to add wheelchair accessible counters. Each counter top section is a separate catalog asset that’s why we only get new kitchen sets very occasionally. They’re expensive and time consuming to make. There would also have to be several brand new animations not just for cooking but getting in and out of bed, in and out of showers, tubs, chairs etc. that’s a hefty animation budget for a free update to a base game that’s already 7 years old.
  • Options
    This thread is not labed EP or BP. This could be in a later game.
  • Options
    As for ramps, it shouldn't be too hard. They already have Sims going up and down hills.
  • Options
    Guess I lost track of which thread I was on since there are like 6 some are labeled EP or BG.
  • Options
    As for ramps, it shouldn't be too hard. They already have Sims going up and down hills.

It’s way more than ramps, as I said.
  • Options

Agreed. This is a LOT. In order to eat a grand meal all on your own, one must start with a little bite.

Figure out what works and what doesn't- that's why this finally got switched to a discussion. We already have canes, if I remember right. Ramps would be the next step from that, seriously no pun intended.
  • Options

Agreed. This is a LOT. In order to eat a grand meal all on your own, one must start with a little bite.

Figure out what works and what doesn't- that's why this finally got switched to a discussion. We already have canes, if I remember right. Ramps would be the next step from that, seriously no pun intended.

No, we don’t have canes. There’s a mod I think for canes but they aren’t in the game, and the animation for walking with a cane is miles away from all the animations needed for a sim in a wheelchair.
  • Options
    Baby steps. Animations will come.

Suppose they added canes and ramps in game, with basic walking with cane animations. Would that be ok?
  • Options
    Or, here's another small idea. What if people get hurt and end up weari a cast and walking with crutches for a few days?
  • Options
    Baby steps. Animations will come.

Suppose they added canes and ramps in game, with basic walking with cane animations. Would that be ok?

As I said before there was massive backlash about something as relatively mild as lactose intolerance I really don’t want to see what would happen if more serious conditions appeared and people felt they weren’t handled properly. This is supposed to be an escapist lighthearted comical take on general aspects of life, I just don’t think it’s meant to try and exactly duplicate every single facet, especially heavy issues. The few heavy issues they do touch like death they do with humor, thus Grimmy, and the ability to die of nonsensical things like hysteria and embarrassment and let’s face it everybody dies, it’s universal. Disabilities aren’t and to try and be humorous about them especially the devs who don’t have one, is really difficult to achieve without seeming crass, insensitive or inappropriate. So I will never be convinced that it’s not a really bad idea.
  • Options
    waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    edited August 2021
    The intellectually disabled child would always require special assistance on homework, and school progression will be much slower than peers.
    The physically disabled child would need crutches or wheelchairs to move around.

These would be so cool to have in the game, but here's the thing, I just can't imagine how EA will ever pull this one off. I mean, a physically disabled child may not have arms or legs. Do you have to create a new body mold or something? That'll be a lot of work. Additionally, other Sims may have to help the disabled Sim do stuff. Again, how do you code these animations exactly?

As much as it would be cool to have them, I think it's too much work!
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,327 Member
    edited August 2021
    Disabilities are not a game to be played.

Then the sims should stop wearing glasses, I can tell it's not fun in real life.
  • Options
    Disabilities are not a game to be played.

Then the sims should stop wearing glasses, I can tell it's not fun in real life.

Exactly! It's already implied!
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,481 Member
    You may also want to consider future content which was offered in previous iterations and could potentially be added to TS4, such as horses and cars. Is it possible for a disabled sim to ride a horse or drive a car? And if the answer is yes, what's the animation going to be like for that?
    Is that sim to be lifted on top of the horse by another sim, or do they teleport? Again, simply Teleporting a disabled sim could potentially be seen as offensive. Why even have the disability in game if teleportation is going to be a thing?
    What about riding a bike? How about gardening? Cooking and counters was already mentioned.

What about occults? A vampire won't be able to speed run if they sit in a wheelchair. Or will they? How do these things work without it becoming offensive? Or are some game play features unavailable for disabled sims? Personally I can't see that as a fun challenge, but then again, the only physical condition I have is bad eyesight so who am I to say what is or isn't a fun challenge when it comes to severe physical or mental disabilities.

It's a never ending list of questions like these that need to be answered because it's going to affect the entire game. Cross pack compatibility HAS to work when disabilities are added. There's a reason teens are the same height as adults in this iteration. The team didn't want to deal with an extra set of animations for a sim with a different height.
    This entire disability topic is an absolute nightmare for devs because there's way way too much to consider regarding past, present and future content.

I would love for everyone to get what they want in TS4 but I just cannot see physical or mental disabilities happen in this game. 🤷🏻‍♂️
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top