Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims with Disabilities?

1234568...Next

Comments

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Thinking I should've made a poll. Lol. Oh well.

So are you just going to keep bumping this thread every couple days? Lol
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited September 2021
    I'd like to see some mental stuff. There's a mod for aspbergs, I think, and ADHD- but they are broken to my knowledge. Basemental Drugs comes close but its ADHD trait could use tweaking. The ADHD trait seems to have no hyperfocus ability for any likes, which is one very important aspect.

Also very curious on how they could add allergies. Cottage Living would be great for this. Not just foods, also there's an allergy to various weeds and pollen, the sun, dust mites (Yikes!) different animals (sorry, dogs, cats, bunnies, and foxes). Not sure about birds, though I could believe there is.

You can get pretty close to autism with the loner, geek traits and the insensitive trait from parenthood, Loner trait description "These Sims become Happy when alone, do not receive negative moodlets when their social need is low, become Tense around strangers, and become Embarrassed more often by social rejection." Geek sims description "These Sims become Happy when Reading Sci-Fi or Playing Video Games, may become Tense if they haven't played much, are better at finding Collectibles, and can Discuss Geek Things with other Geek Sims", Insensitive Trait - Reward for Low Empathy, Insensitive Sims are able to Question other Sims' negative emotions. They can also Instigate other Sims. Insensitive Sims will have a higher chance of failing socially when talking to Sims with bad emotions, and compare these descriptions with autism symptoms listed below

Abnormal Body Posturing or Facial Expressions
    Abnormal Tone of Voice
    Avoidance of Eye Contact or Poor Eye Contact
    Behavioral Disturbances
    Deficits in Language Comprehension
    Delay in Learning to Speak
    Flat or Monotonous Speech
    Inappropriate Social Interaction
    Intense Focus on One Topic
    Lack of Empathy
    Lack of Understanding Social Cues
    Learning Disability or Difficulty
    Not Engaging in Play With Peers
    Preoccupation With Specific Topics
    Problems With Two-Way Conversation
    Repeating Words or Phrases
    Repetitive Movements
    Self-Abusive Behaviors
    Sleep Disturbances
    Social Withdrawal
    Unusual Reactions in Social Settings
    Using Odd Words or Phrases

as someone with autism and ADHD I'm not very social unless the person I'm talking to shares the same hobbies with me, however this thread isn't winning you any points with the sims community.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'd like to see some mental stuff. There's a mod for aspbergs, I think, and ADHD- but they are broken to my knowledge. Basemental Drugs comes close but its ADHD trait could use tweaking. The ADHD trait seems to have no hyperfocus ability for any likes, which is one very important aspect.

Nope. No mental disabilities, thanks.

Why not? Even in the first post, there was mention of a neurologist.

Because as someone with a mental disability, I play The Sims to get away from the fact that I have it.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Thinking I should've made a poll. Lol. Oh well.

So are you just going to keep bumping this thread every couple days? Lol

That’s exactly what’s happening it just a game to them.
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited September 2021

Because as someone with a mental disability, I play The Sims to get away from the fact that I have it.

I totally agree with @PlayerSinger2010. “The Sims 4” is meant to be an escape from reality and life being harsh. I also say NO thanks to ALL disabilities. Also, if all disabilities were in the game, they would be portrayed wrong and that would make the game upsetting for me.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    This conversation may have been exhausted now. You've had lots of replies and although some people are open to the idea (if done sensitively), there are many that seem to be offended and uncomfortable with this discussion as a whole.

Unless there is something new to bring to the conversation, it may be the most respectful thing to let it come to it's natural end.

You've shared your thoughts and ideas, and we've listened and shared our own opinion on the matter, at this point it's going around in circles.

It is clear that the intention of this thread was not to upset anyone, and everyone should feel free to share their ideas but it's also important to know when to stop.

I look forward to seeing more of your ideas and contributions around the forum, it may be time to call time on this one though (for now, atleast). :smile:
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member

exactly, this is something I agree with 100%.
  • CaveSimCaveSim Posts: 99 Member
    Autism. its a spectrum not a line. some cant talk but have good minds. sensory overload. Meltdowns. Masking at work or school. How would the player solve these things. autism word is about 10 times every sense then neurotypal. Sorry for bad grammer i have autism.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,305 EA Community Manager
    Hey all,

I think we can agree that this thread has run its course. There have been very different and very passionate opinions shared here and it's clear that disabilities are something of a hot-button topic. I have seen both sides of this argument objectively and it's been made clear that introducing them would upset a large portion of our player base who feel it would be exploitative, but not including them has already upset some of you as well who feel a lack of representation.

All I can tell you is this: I am not aware of any plans at the current time to include Sims with disabilities in the Sims, if that changes it will only be after a thought out, inclusive, and non-demeaning method is identified and fully explored to ensure that nothing exploitative could occur by doing so.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, and thank you for reading. This thread is now closed.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top