Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In Defense of Eco Lifestyle

Comments

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I don't think anyone disputes that we are free to like or dislike something. It is the manner in which we go about expressing ourselves that can end up becoming a problem. People can disagree on things and still be friendly, calm and collected. Constructive criticism is useful and normally appreciated. Debating can be interesting and educational as long as it happens without the participants losing their respect for one another. Strong emotions almost always ruin a good discussion, because people are prone to overreaction and the use of wording they wouldn't normally choose if they were calm. And it quickly becomes inflammatory and unsound. In the end, we have an all out war where the agenda has become to dominate and by force try to get one's own way. Treating the Developers like this will not make them create the content you hope for. Quite the opposite, I bet. I'm sure they will want to distance themselves from a bloodthirsty crowd carrying pitchforks and torches :#

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    Melly0nMelly0n Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm super excited about this pack. I was when I first saw it, and I still am. I'm happy that there will be consequence attached to some gameplay actions. I can create loads of stories based around that. I also see heap loads of different features included that I really want. Items that make the off the grid trait functional. The shipping container homes. The 3d printer (I think). The bug house with the cute little grub, (be sad to eat it though). Vertical gardens! They'll be going in San Myshuno for me. I love the fashion. I come from a city with a big arsty poulation, so rummaging around in a vintage shop and creating your own style is the norm. Dungarees, that skirt suit, ;) all of those clothes and hairstyles could be seen around my area IRL. It's about being unique and expressing yourself. I'm also quite excited to see if we can make the whole world dirty. That would make urban play more realistic. But even if not, it's a nice touch. Plus, with the mechanics added, I'm sure modders will be able to do incredible stuff with it. Perhaps I'll give it a go when I'm good enough.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone disputes that we are free to like or dislike something. It is the manner in which we go about expressing ourselves that can end up becoming a problem. People can disagree on things and still be friendly, calm and collected. Constructive criticism is useful and normally appreciated. Debating can be interesting and educational as long as it happens without the participants losing their respect for one another. Strong emotions almost always ruin a good discussion, because people are prone to overreaction and the use of wording they wouldn't normally choose if they were calm. And it quickly becomes inflammatory and unsound. In the end, we have an all out war where the agenda has become to dominate and by force try to get one's own way. Treating the Developers like this will not make them create the content you hope for. Quite the opposite, I bet. I'm sure they will want to distance themselves from a bloodthirsty crowd carrying pitchforks and torches :#

I agree but I don't believe I did that here - and frankly, I don't even think most people on the forum posts were all that inflammatory. Some people really just can't stand anyone criticizing anything about this game - not even when it's done by people who've said genuinely positive things about it too. Which isn't any more or less annoying than the fact that some criticize it unfairly sometimes.
    Personally, I don't care that they reuse animations or that they use existing code to add new things to a pack. To enjoy a pack, I don't need every single thing in it to be created from scratch or be 100% different than what we already have in the game.

Me neither but I do believe - and again, despite generally enjoying this game for what it is - that it needs to be kept to a minimum as much as possible. I'd rather have new small animals running around that my toddlers can play and interact with than the same ole' hamster animation recycled into worms, baby chickens, rabbits, and so on. And I also don't want it to be the cats/dogs animation, I want it to be different. Just like I really need them to add way more animations for children and group activities. Why can children still not play anything together? Like really together? Like tag or tennis? Or beach volleyball? Most group activities, also for adult sims, just consist of two single-sim animations put together. This is true for the soccer animation, the sandcastle animation, even - and perhaps worst of all - the dancing and ice skating animations. Why can't children ride bikes? Or play ping pong?

I mean, TS2 had such beautiful animations and there were so many - why can't a 2020 game match that? Isn't that at the very least worth questioning? I don't think the devs working on TS4 are any less talented or capable. I think they're just given way less leeway. And I for one don't enjoy EA using this franchise primarily as a cash cow to fund other, more expensive games and appease shareholders - which is exactly what it looks like.

This discussion goes so much deeper than whether you personally mind or don't mind reused animations. It's also a question of how much this franchise is worth to the company publishing it and how that translates into both what we're getting and what the devs are allowed to produce in the first place. Don't you think if they could deliver the depth and breadth of previous installments, that they'd want to? Don't you think they too are tired of listening to this criticism they probably can't affect anyway?

Do I love the new candle animation and some of the new activities? Yeah sure. But we already have food stalls, the exact same cuddle animation for small pets, bikes, worlds that change, dollhouses (even if the process of creating them is a little more fun, it's still the exact same object with the exact same animation), I mean ... even the 3D printer is just a smaller version of the thing that came with GTW. And all the machines in TS4 are approximately the same size because the animations for using them are ... incredibly similar. I'd much rather see my sim actually working with their hands sometimes than watch them push buttons and pull levers.

It doesn't mean I can't enjoy the content or that you are not allowed to enjoy it. But the people criticizing this particular thing about TS4 aren't doing it to rob you of your enjoyment or right to buy whatever the plumbob you want to spend money on - even if it feels like that sometimes. It's just that for some of us, we can't shake the feeling anymore that the more we accept this, the more okay it will become. And I love this franchise a little too much to let these things slide time and time and time again without saying anything at all. I just feels wrong to me.

Doesn't need to be the same for you, of course, I get that, but I wish we could have far more open and tolerant discussions about this without either side calling the other "franchise killers" or "negative nancies". This divide is still the worst product of all of this. And I never fully fit into either camp but well, story of my life :joy:

• Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    After watching the trailer several times I have mixed feelings now about the pack. My initial reaction was I have little interest in it but after watching it several times and seeing more info from the gurus on twitter it’s starting to grow on me a bit. I am someone who wants farming and was disappointed the leak was a fake but I am not against this pack or the concept of it and I am glad the sims team are doing something different. To me from what I have seen so far it feels more like a game pack however I need to see more information from the livestream they will eventually do. I am keeping and open mind as a lot of packs previously I expected to hate I love (city living, strangerville and university) so this pack may be the same.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I agree but I don't believe I did that here - and frankly, I don't even think most people on the forum posts were all that inflammatory. Some people really just can't stand anyone criticizing anything about this game - not even when it's done by people who've said genuinely positive things about it too. Which isn't any more or less annoying than the fact that some criticize it unfairly sometimes.
    Personally, I don't care that they reuse animations or that they use existing code to add new things to a pack. To enjoy a pack, I don't need every single thing in it to be created from scratch or be 100% different than what we already have in the game.

Me neither but I do believe - and again, despite generally enjoying this game for what it is - that it needs to be kept to a minimum as much as possible. I'd rather have new small animals running around that my toddlers can play and interact with than the same ole' hamster animation recycled into worms, baby chickens, rabbits, and so on. And I also don't want it to be the cats/dogs animation, I want it to be different. Just like I really need them to add way more animations for children and group activities. Why can children still not play anything together? Like really together? Like tag or tennis? Or beach volleyball? Most group activities, also for adult sims, just consist of two single-sim animations put together. This is true for the soccer animation, the sandcastle animation, even - and perhaps worst of all - the dancing and ice skating animations. Why can't children ride bikes? Or play ping pong?

I mean, TS2 had such beautiful animations and there were so many - why can't a 2020 game match that? Isn't that at the very least worth questioning? I don't think the devs working on TS4 are any less talented or capable. I think they're just given way less leeway. And I for one don't enjoy EA using this franchise primarily as a cash cow to fund other, more expensive games and appease shareholders - which is exactly what it looks like.

This discussion goes so much deeper than whether you personally mind or don't mind reused animations. It's also a question of how much this franchise is worth to the company publishing it and how that translates into both what we're getting and what the devs are allowed to produce in the first place. Don't you think if they could deliver the depth and breadth of previous installments, that they'd want to? Don't you think they too are tired of listening to this criticism they probably can't affect anyway?

Do I love the new candle animation and some of the new activities? Yeah sure. But we already have food stalls, the exact same cuddle animation for small pets, bikes, worlds that change, dollhouses (even if the process of creating them is a little more fun, it's still the exact same object with the exact same animation), I mean ... even the 3D printer is just a smaller version of the thing that came with GTW. And all the machines in TS4 are approximately the same size because the animations for using them are ... incredibly similar. I'd much rather see my sim actually working with their hands sometimes than watch them push buttons and pull levers.

It doesn't mean I can't enjoy the content or that you are not allowed to enjoy it. But the people criticizing this particular thing about TS4 aren't doing it to rob you of your enjoyment or right to buy whatever the plumbob you want to spend money on - even if it feels like that sometimes. It's just that for some of us, we can't shake the feeling anymore that the more we accept this, the more okay it will become. And I love this franchise a little too much to let these things slide time and time and time again without saying anything at all. I just feels wrong to me.

Doesn't need to be the same for you, of course, I get that, but I wish we could have far more open and tolerant discussions about this without either side calling the other "franchise killers" or "negative nancies". This divide is still the worst product of all of this. And I never fully fit into either camp but well, story of my life :joy:
    It is ok I don't fit in either camp either. So welcome to the wilderness. It is nice and sunny here.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

It is ok I don't fit in either camp either. So welcome to the wilderness. It is nice and sunny here.

It is. I got some limes on the kitchen counter, should we make a drink? :D How do you feel about the pack actually?
  • Options

It is. I got some limes on the kitchen counter, should we make a drink? :D How do you feel about the pack actually?
    Sure iced tea to keep cool with the warmer weather. I am thrilled about it. Reminds me a lot of the farms where I live. There are a lot of farmers that do canning and have vineyards and insect houses, so I think it is going to be the most relatable to where I am living now in the northwest. Island Living was relatable to me when I was living at the beach in California. I am enjoying these outdoor packs. I have always been a bit of a tomboy, so anything to get my Sims outdoors and their hands dirty has been fun. I hope there is a way for Sims to step on grapes. I always loved that episode of I Love Lucy.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I find it interesting that many are saying this should be a game pack.

I've seen three main reasons people are saying this.

1. There's an assumption expansions must majorly affect all worlds
    2. There's an assumption that there's not enough game play
    3. There's dissatisfaction with the theme in some way

So I've been considering these arguments.

The first point I would say the only expansion that has had an impact of all the worlds is Seasons for obvious reasons. Every other expansion can be used in other worlds but they don't automatically change anything in them. CL festivals, C&D stray pets, and GT dance parties are only found in the world they came with. As such EL can't be discounted as an expansion on this ground alone.

For the second point I would point out that Strangerville, a game pack with a dynamic world, has very little gameplay outside of solving the mystery. From the EL trailer alone we see multiple new gameplay features such as candle making, fizzy drink making, preserves, upcycling, dumpster diving, new ways to live off the grid and reduce bills, and much more. I doubt this would all fit into a game pack's budget.

As for the last point, everyone in entitled to their opinion but not everyone is going to like what ends up as an expansion. The good news is that 50% off sales happen quite often these days, so with a bit of patience, EL can easily be bought at a GP price.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Sure iced tea to keep cool with the warmer weather. I am thrilled about it. Reminds me a lot of the farms where I live. There are a lot of farmers that do canning and have vineyards and insect houses, so I think it is going to be the most relatable to where I am living now in the northwest. Island Living was relatable to me when I was living at the beach in California. I am enjoying these outdoor packs. I have always been a bit of a tomboy, so anything to get my Sims outdoors and their hands dirty has been fun. I hope there is a way for Sims to step on grapes. I always loved that episode of I Love Lucy.

Glad you're looking forward to it! I still reserve my judgment :D I do agree that more outdoor activities are welcome - and more hobbies too, that's one thing I hope this pack will deliver on. Might not seem like it because I'm unfortunately a pretty opinionated person but I do like the whole OTG / eco theme a lot, even actively requested it (albeit as part of actual farming), and so I haven't really decided if I like it. Just holding out hope that there's enough new stuff in it, for me, next to what looks like a fair amount of recycling to warrant the full EP price tag. If not I might just buy it later, after TLou 2, or perhaps via cdkeys or whatnot. But I'll give 'em time to convince me one way or another :D
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member

Thank you for taking the time to clearly and calmly express your thoughts. I can relate so well to everything you've said.

To me, this kind of thoughtful and considerate feedback is as valuable as the surveys we answer on what we'd like to see with the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The first point I would say the only expansion that has had an impact of all the worlds is Seasons for obvious reasons. Every other expansion can be used in other worlds but they don't automatically change anything in them. CL festivals, C&D stray pets, and GT dance parties are only found in the world they came with. As such EL can't be discounted as an expansion on this ground alone.

Fair enough but actually these packs, especially CL (for the festivals and apartment) & C&D (specifically for the strays and for people not walking their dogs in other worlds - something that still annoys me quite a bit), have been just as heavily criticized for it.

Their main benefit is that we had no apartment/city/animal theme anywhere else, as opposed to already having IL and TL.
    For the second point I would point out that Strangerville, a game pack with a dynamic world, has very little gameplay outside of solving the mystery. From the EL trailer alone we see multiple new gameplay features such as candle making, fizzy drink making, preserves, upcycling, dumpster diving, new ways to live off the grid and reduce bills, and much more. I doubt this would all fit into a game pack's budget.

Agreed.
    As for the last point, everyone in entitled to their opinion but not everyone is going to like what ends up as an expansion. The good news is that 50% off sales happen quite often these days, so with a bit of patience, EL can easily be bought at a GP price.

Dissatisfaction with the theme should indeed not be grounds to be or not be an EP.

That being said, I'm honestly starting to think that they never quite knew what exactly the difference between an EP and GP should be either besides budget - I'm not even sure if this idea that EPs should affect gameplay in all worlds and GPs being more about niche gameplay was their own? But if it was, with packs like IL and EL I just don't see how that's still accurate - which makes me think that in most instances, the only real difference between EPs and GPs is the size of the worlds they come with. I'm not exactly sure that's the best differentiator because if I had the choice between more gameplay and additional lots, I'd chose more gameplay 90% of the time. So if I pay more, I'd mostly want more of that. But I'm just one person of course.

• Options
    SAEldarin wrote: »

Thank you for taking the time to clearly and calmly express your thoughts. I can relate so well to everything you've said.

To me, this kind of thoughtful and considerate feedback is as valuable as the surveys we answer on what we'd like to see with the game.

Thank you. It's not always easy I think to leave the emotions out of these discussions - I'm definitely guilty of that too :D But I think this whole thread has been quite respectful, and I do really understand how infuriating it is when you're super excited about a pack, then come to the forum and feel like you're committing a crime for enjoying or looking forward to something, so yeah .. I'm glad you say that because I really didn't want to come off as mean or disrespectful to the "other side", since well .. emotions run high when new packs are announced :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    That being said, I'm honestly starting to think that they never quite knew what exactly the difference between an EP and GP should be either besides budget - I'm not even sure if this idea that EPs should affect gameplay in all worlds and GPs being more about niche gameplay was their own? But if it was, with packs like IL and EL I just don't see how that's still accurate - which makes me think that in most instances, the only real difference between EPs and GPs is the size of the worlds they come with. I'm not exactly sure that's the best differentiator because if I had the choice between more gameplay and additional lots, I'd chose more gameplay 90% of the time. So if I pay more, I'd mostly want more of that. But I'm just one person of course.

I think in the end the only difference between a game pack and expansion pack is the size of the budget allotted to it. Even worlds aren't a consistent differentiator, as Seasons came with no world and GTW only came with a small world with three lots.
  • Options

I think in the end the only difference between a game pack and expansion pack is the size of the budget allotted to it. Even worlds aren't a consistent differentiator, as Seasons came with no world and GTW only came with a small world with three lots.

Aw right, that's true actually, didn't even consider that. Weirdly enough, I wish Seasons had come with a world but I was never disappointed that it didn't. But .. I'm a plumbobber for rain <3
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @SimTrippy
    To reiterate the context of my comments: I was specifically addressing someone who said the only thing they saw in the trailer was reskinned objects and reused animations and implying that everyone who likes this pack (and others) must like not getting anything innovative. So that particular discussion didn't go any deeper than that. They equated new visuals to innovation the way their comment was stated.
    (It's not a single opinion either, I've seen complaints about reuse of items or gameplay from previous versions of the game, but that's a whole 'nother conversation).

I had an issue with that statement for several reasons.

I do like getting new things in each pack and so far, I have not been disappointed with any pack in terms of new gameplay, new objects, new use for existing objects, etc. The parts of packs that haven't been seen or done before in TS4 far outweigh the ones that are copied from elsewhere, the way I see it. I also enjoy the team building on things we already have in the game, be it by adding new interactions to objects or adding variations of them (now, if they'd add more kitchen counters, that would be nice).

I'm not saying there shouldn't be more or that there aren't things I wouldn't like to be added (I'm stoked that we're getting ladders and candle-making, for one). But as far as things like the animation for, say, the insect hotel? Or a new style of a bike? That isn't something that bothers me because it's not the entire pack. The hotel is still new gameplay with its own actions for the Sims or the environment around them and the new bike fits the design theme of the pack, even if it doesn't offer new gameplay.

New animations or designs for items aren't the only way to bring new things to the game, in my opinion. Not being bothered by a certain amount of reuse of existing features (implying that the entire game is nothing but a few things over and over) doesn't mean loving not getting anything new.

Re: EPs vs GPs. I think the initial idea was to have GPs be something smaller and more focused on one specific aspect, developing it more than a wider theme. Like, say, Vampires only rather than occults in general. Or one vacation world rather than a vacation EP. By now though, the lines have somewhat blurred between the two for what I think is a multitude of reasons. Sort of the same way that SPs are morphing into something that's way beyond "stuff".
  • Options

Glad you're looking forward to it! I still reserve my judgment :D I do agree that more outdoor activities are welcome - and more hobbies too, that's one thing I hope this pack will deliver on. Might not seem like it because I'm unfortunately a pretty opinionated person but I do like the whole OTG / eco theme a lot, even actively requested it (albeit as part of actual farming), and so I haven't really decided if I like it. Just holding out hope that there's enough new stuff in it, for me, next to what looks like a fair amount of recycling to warrant the full EP price tag. If not I might just buy it later, after TLou 2, or perhaps via cdkeys or whatnot. But I'll give 'em time to convince me one way or another :D
    Oh I understand. I always encourage people to wait for sales for all the packs. This isn't a cheap iteration especially as it continues.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I think the difference between EP and GP is based on resources and cost to make, not a specific category of content. City Living and Island Living's central features and most of the side features only happen in their new worlds, while Dine Out and Spa Day can work in any world. Seasons and Parenthood both affect every family you play, while Get to Work only affect families you choose to give active jobs, or make own a business. Cats and Dogs is just as niche as any game pack - you either want pets in your game or you don't same as any occult life state, but the create a pet feature is way bigger than what any of the occults have on CAS so it has to be an EP. Island Living likely feels like the emptiest EP because so much budget was spent on making it gorgeous.

However, since this one is not titled Eco Living, I'm going to keep assuming that some core parts of the content will be available in any world, because that's how it is with every other EP that doesn't have "Living" in the title. Whether that's the pollution, or just the community lots and Neighborhood Action Plans, we will have to wait and see.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    This news is unbelievable! Finally a proper EP !
  • Options

Aww yes, that is really great news! Really glad to hear this!
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    And a little more I found after digging some more.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited May 2020
    I was being really negative about the new pack and I still don't like the theme. This has nothing to do with the country living leak. I would have disliked the pack even without the fake leak.

But I thought about it and there are actually things I like and that I am looking forward to:

- perhaps you have to tend to your garbage a bit more or worlds become polluted (pollution will not be confined to the new world); I would like that - I love realistic gameplay
    - I really like the new hobbies such as upcycling, candle making (especially candle making I love) and making juice
    - I think I will like the OTG features as I have a family that will live OTG in Glimmerbrook, they're like a nature loving, alternative, musician and artsy family and I think the new OTG features will help me play out their family life really well, combined with the "kids can garden" mod and homeschool mod
    - I am curious about how the community spaces will work. I am not sure if this is something I might enjoy because I don't play much with the sims in town (I prefer to play with my own familes and they hardly have friends except each other haha). But I would give it a try and perhaps it is something I might like
    - I do like the bug house btw. I know this is probably going to be kind of lame like the bees, but it's cute
    - I saw new objects to plant your flowers in (kind of wall planters), I will definitely use those
    - the new doll house could be a project that Sims could make for their little ones
    - I hope sims can drink their home made juices when eating dinner or lunch or breakfast like they can now with the lemonade or ice tea they can make

Let's see what the gameplay streams will reveal.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I am still wondering what type of person loves recycled animations and reskinned objects. That is what I saw directly in the trailer. Those people confuse me, because they love not getting anything innovative or new. Still waiting to see the actual significant gameplay features and to see if the aspiration is more than just a pack tutorial. I have very little faith anymore.

Absolutely no one needs to explain a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing, least of all their opinion. If you like it you like it. You don't you don't. No explanation required.
  • Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member

Oh I understand. I always encourage people to wait for sales for all the packs. This isn't a cheap iteration especially as it continues.

I play on console but I heard people saying the pc pre-order is 20 dollars