Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In Defense of Eco Lifestyle

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    NoirStasis wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Glad you're looking forward to it! I still reserve my judgment :D I do agree that more outdoor activities are welcome - and more hobbies too, that's one thing I hope this pack will deliver on. Might not seem like it because I'm unfortunately a pretty opinionated person but I do like the whole OTG / eco theme a lot, even actively requested it (albeit as part of actual farming), and so I haven't really decided if I like it. Just holding out hope that there's enough new stuff in it, for me, next to what looks like a fair amount of recycling to warrant the full EP price tag. If not I might just buy it later, after TLou 2, or perhaps via cdkeys or whatnot. But I'll give 'em time to convince me one way or another :D
    Oh I understand. I always encourage people to wait for sales for all the packs. This isn't a cheap iteration especially as it continues.

I play on console but I heard people saying the pc pre-order is 20 dollars
    $27 when I checked.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member

Glad you're looking forward to it! I still reserve my judgment :D I do agree that more outdoor activities are welcome - and more hobbies too, that's one thing I hope this pack will deliver on. Might not seem like it because I'm unfortunately a pretty opinionated person but I do like the whole OTG / eco theme a lot, even actively requested it (albeit as part of actual farming), and so I haven't really decided if I like it. Just holding out hope that there's enough new stuff in it, for me, next to what looks like a fair amount of recycling to warrant the full EP price tag. If not I might just buy it later, after TLou 2, or perhaps via cdkeys or whatnot. But I'll give 'em time to convince me one way or another :D
    Oh I understand. I always encourage people to wait for sales for all the packs. This isn't a cheap iteration especially as it continues.

If you order it from Origin, it's the same price as consoles. People that are paying less are getting it from a different store than Origin.
  • Options
    scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    OK when I first seen the trailer I was seeing red. There is plenty I don't like about the pack, like the reused concepts, and how it feels like they are preaching at us. That being said I bought the pack yesterday.

And the reason why is simple, I seen things that make me feel EA is listening. My biggest complaint about the last two EP is how pack and world centered they are. Outside of their respected worlds they have no impact on the game. The content was very restricted to the pack themselves and lacked gameplay outside of it. They were very game pack like. Vampires had a bigger in game impact on my Sims when not focused on the content of said pack.

But in this pack every world except Strangerville and destination world's is being impacted. This gives the pack greater reach like seasons had. It answers my biggest concern about the last two EPs.

The other issue I seen many players harp about is the lack of toggle s to shut down unwanted content. I heard people complain about this withe vampires, aliens and casters the most. I can see people not wanting environmental issues in every game. And so they gave us a switch other packs needed. It is a sign they are listening.

And let is be honest, many people wanted environmental stuff and said so during the first community voted stuff pack survey. They over done it to the point the theme feels very recycled and preachy at this point, but at least it seems they are doing it right for an EP this time. Plus some people (not me)wanted more crafts and have been vocal about it and they are giving us that.

This pack is not my dream. The theme has been done already. But it also shows they have been listening. I have complained about what I feel needed to be complained about in the complaint thread. I just decided to defend what needed to be defended in the pack defence thread.

This pack is not made for me. Honestly in spite of the fact I bought it I am not happy about the recycled theme or the preachy feel of the second eco theme EP out of the last three. I do see signs they are hearing is. Not every pack needs to be for every player. That just is not possible. Not every desired feature wanted by the masses will happen. That again just isn't realistic.

Now in defence of those like me who aren't happy about this pack, minus those all few who went after Simgurus personally, it is every customers right to express unhappiness with a product. That is how products improve. It is likely why this pact has a global impact and a pause switch. Complaints make the game better. They hear them. This very pack is evidence of that.No need to attack those who aren't happy about a product you are happy with. Both points of view are valid.

Now I said my piece, it is time to get off my soap box.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

Huh weird, no preorder sales in Europe for this pack as far as I can see.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

The lower price isn't on Origin, it's on a different site.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Check isthereanydeal sites.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited May 2020
    Hello! Very sorry, but I will copy my post from other thread. I'm not an English speaker and it's hard for me to write another almost identical post.

No matter what you do but how you do it. The problem is that devs make packs that look... unfinished. For example, Get Famous includes only the career of the actor and only this... and they could included a musical career of rock, pop, rap. It looks like halfway out of work. That is how they "burn" good ideas, because if they present in the future new pack with a music career, fans will say that it is a copy of Get Famous.
    It's the same with ecology in The Sims. They started doing "something" at Island Living, but did not do enough - a few rubbish to clean up and an ecologist's career. And now they release eco living, because the eco theme is a good idea. If they made larger additions from the beginning and planned the content better, there would be no problem.
    Yes, the players asked for eco, but maybe not cleaning streets and designing the machines, because they already got it (IL, GtW, Uni). What problem is to combine eco with something new, like the farm? Or instead of another plain town, for example an oceanarium or some forest in the mountains?
    Players are not disappointed because of eco. Players want new things, want "finished", well-used ideas, not repetitive ideas. And, as I know life, it will be another poor in gameplay expack. :(

I wrote it after watching the trailer and after I read about what the expack contains. I don't know, maybe they will surprise me positively (I would like to!). For now, the pack looks dull to me. Other extensions always had something interesting for me - upgrade Sims characters (Parenting!), beautiful islands, stunning towers in the city, being famous, dreamy works like detective, supernatural characters or at least nice furniture. I don't even like the furniture here. :/
    Post edited by Aericia on
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    LissmelsLissmels Posts: 79 Member
    I'd say that the argument "we voted for this" is very poor. We already got the pack we voted for. And literally the only reason people were excited was because of laundry, which we were informed about since the very beginning.

As for the other arguments, I understand that some people are excited about this pack. People are always gonna be excited. HOWEVER. The problem here is that we have had a lot of packs that fit into the eco living theme, and it is starting to feel repetitive. Laundry day, island living, strangerville, tiny living, the upcoming nifty knitting - plum, even some aspects of seasons and outdoor retreat! How this is an entire expansion pack is beyond me. The most hyped feature is the ladder, and that's not even in the pack..
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    @Lissmels what Strangerville has to do with eco living? And knitting too. Knitting is just a hobby.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Both knitting and eco seem to mention a sort of online store to sell crafted items so maybe that’s the link.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Aericia wrote: »
    Hello! Very sorry, but I will copy my post from other thread. I'm not an English speaker and it's hard for me to write another almost identical post.

No matter what you do but how you do it. The problem is that devs make packs that look... unfinished. For example, Get Famous includes only the career of the actor and only this... and they could included a musical career of rock, pop, rap. It looks like halfway out of work. That is how they "burn" good ideas, because if they present in the future new pack with a music career, fans will say that it is a copy of Get Famous.
    It's the same with ecology in The Sims. They started doing "something" at Island Living, but did not do enough - a few rubbish to clean up and an ecologist's career. And now they release eco living, because the eco theme is a good idea. If they made larger additions from the beginning and planned the content better, there would be no problem.
    Yes, the players asked for eco, but maybe not cleaning streets and designing the machines, because they already got it (IL, GtW, Uni). What problem is to combine eco with something new, like the farm? Or instead of another plain town, for example an oceanarium or some forest in the mountains?
    Players are not disappointed because of eco. Players want new things, want "finished", well-used ideas, not repetitive ideas. And, as I know life, it will be another poor in gameplay expack. :(

I wrote it after watching the trailer and after I read about what the expack contains. I don't know, maybe they will surprise me positively (I would like to!). For now, the pack looks dull to me. Other extensions always had something interesting for me - upgrade Sims characters (Parenting!), beautiful islands, stunning towers in the city, being famous, dreamy works like detective, supernatural characters or at least nice furniture. I don't even like the furniture here. :/

For me I actually liked Get Famous. Part of it is because i find it to have Depth rather than Shallow. If you compare it to Late Night For example, it has lots of careers, but has no depth. The acting Career in that EP was not even close to what we have now. The Celebrities in that Pack was a nightmare. Sims get famous by Talking to Celebrities. That's it. You can't get famous by having just consistent Practice or anything. You can as I recall in higher skills, but recognition happens only if you have those skills high then congrats, you got One Star Fame. No Perk Tree or anything, the only positive effects are discounted products or VIP clubs. That's it. Other than befrending Celebs what else to do? In TS4, you can be recognized by any skill at popular place. They even have reputation compared to Late Night. So yeah.

For me If they can pull out the same thing they did with Get Famous I will be happy, rather than Do another Island Living pack
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Both knitting and eco seem to mention a sort of online store to sell crafted items so maybe that’s the link.

Yeah, but that's not an "eco" thing. :)
  • Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Lissmels wrote: »
    I'd say that the argument "we voted for this" is very poor. We already got the pack we voted for. And literally the only reason people were excited was because of laundry, which we were informed about since the very beginning.

As for the other arguments, I understand that some people are excited about this pack. People are always gonna be excited. HOWEVER. The problem here is that we have had a lot of packs that fit into the eco living theme, and it is starting to feel repetitive. Laundry day, island living, strangerville, tiny living, the upcoming nifty knitting - plum, even some aspects of seasons and outdoor retreat! How this is an entire expansion pack is beyond me. The most hyped feature is the ladder, and that's not even in the pack..

I agree. I did not know about any leak and I was still very disappointed. This new pack fits in the same category as Strangerville because it will add a cool new world but not that much to the actual game itself. You play it for a few hours and that's it.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    garapoes wrote: »
    Lissmels wrote: »

I agree. I did not know about any leak and I was still very disappointed. This new pack fits in the same category as Strangerville because it will add a cool new world but not that much to the actual game itself. You play it for a few hours and that's it.

While I am not thrilled with the theme, it is unfair to state that it is not adding to the game itself. Pollution will affect all worlds (except strangerville and vacation worlds), so similar to season. That does at least make it EP worthy. Plus they said it is not a storyline like in Strangerville.
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited May 2020
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Aericia wrote: »

For me I actually liked Get Famous. Part of it is because i find it to have Depth rather than Shallow. If you compare it to Late Night For example, it has lots of careers, but has no depth. The acting Career in that EP was not even close to what we have now. The Celebrities in that Pack was a nightmare. Sims get famous by Talking to Celebrities. That's it. You can't get famous by having just consistent Practice or anything. You can as I recall in higher skills, but recognition happens only if you have those skills high then congrats, you got One Star Fame. No Perk Tree or anything, the only positive effects are discounted products or VIP clubs. That's it. Other than befrending Celebs what else to do? In TS4, you can be recognized by any skill at popular place. They even have reputation compared to Late Night. So yeah.

For me If they can pull out the same thing they did with Get Famous I will be happy, rather than Do another Island Living pack

Get gamous is probably my favorite expack. I agree with what you mentioned. My point in my post was that they could extend it to the career of music stars. we already have auditions, stage too, instead of film crew let's give fans and you can already tour. Sim could do some tasks like an actor: sing songs, say something to the audience and that's it.
    I wanted to show a mechanism that made 30% of youtubers disliked the trailer. I don't know how it is in English, but in Polish we say "burn the prank", which means telling a good joke in a bad way and destroy it. in my opinion the devs "burn" good ideas just because they do not finish them. Same with Sulani - instead of eco, they could expand mermaids, give them more skills, improve life guard career, do more interesting diving, give more adventure. then people wouldn't say devs are repeating the idea of ​​eco living.

Post edited by Aericia on
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I have said this in another thread, I think it's not fair that theres some people that are just assuming it's not got enough content to be an expansion and assuming it's like strangerville when we know hardly anything about it, I want something new to come to the sims 4 and this is new, I can't wait to find out everything about it, I also said on another thread that this could be a pack that we needed but didn't know we did
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Good arguments, but I'm still not convinced. The "cool" gigantic machines are always the same and one of the weakest spots in TS4 game design. Changing between apocalyptic and nice versions of the same world has been fleshed out in TS3 ITF and TS4 StrV and is not innovative any more. Ladders are of course great, but hey - we are six years into the game and don't even have spiral stairs.

Yes! (Side point) The stupid machines for every single skill is a real pet peeve for me in this game. Never did I realise that a lot of skills in TS4 require your sim to have a bench or machine and just work on it to level that skill. You literally can't level some of these skills any other way than that ONE type of bench or machine. It's quite ridiculous and i never noticed this in TS3 ever. No idea why I finally came to realise it now with TS4.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    scoed1227 wrote: »

And let is be honest, many people wanted environmental stuff and said so during the first community voted stuff pack survey. They over done it to the point the theme feels very recycled and preachy at this point, but at least it seems they are doing it right for an EP this time. Plus some people (not me)wanted more crafts and have been vocal about it and they are giving us that.

Not ony this, but one of the biggest complaints about the game recently has been that nothing the Sims do really matters. We want consiquences. Now, we're getting a pack that's all about the consiquences of our Sims' actions.

Truthfully, I don't see the theme here as "cleaning" or "pollution"; rather, the larger theme I see is impact. The impact we have over our environment, the impact our environment has on us, and the impact that we can have on each other-for better or for worse. Yes, one of the ways that the pack shows this is through a new pollution system that responds to your Sims actions. Yes, your Sim can choose to help "clean up" the environment by making eco-concious choices. Putting solar panels, wind turbines, or even just a recycling bin on your Sims' lot doesn't just help them anymore. It helps the entire community.

However, there are a lot of elements of the pack that broaden this idea. The community space concept isn't just about "let's clean up the neighborhood." It's about Sims coming together to decide how to repurpose that space-hence the community voting. It probably would have been easier to have us choose an option from a menu, but instead our Sims will have to get the entire neighborhood involved in deciding what happens to that lot.

The crafting system now allows for Sims to fulfill specific orders from their neighbors rather than make whatever they choose and selling it into the void. It also allows Sims to use resources from the world around them, instead of paying a set fee for magic materials from nowhere.

We also know that we'll be able to influence our neighborhood through the Community Action Plan. Granted, we don't know too much about this yet-but it does seem to offer options that go beyond the environmental state of the world. Things like promoting the arts or promoting fitness (both of which were mentioned in the blog) have nothing to do with the environment, but they do have an impact on the general well-being of the Sims around you.

This is not a pack about cleaning up garbage. It's not a pack about your Sim saving the world from pollution. It's about your Sim having an impact on the community around them.

Just your last statement. If it is about a Sim having an impact on their community then why isn't that said in the email I got? Doesn't seem that is what they want to advertise.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    edited May 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »

Not ony this, but one of the biggest complaints about the game recently has been that nothing the Sims do really matters. We want consiquences. Now, we're getting a pack that's all about the consiquences of our Sims' actions.

Truthfully, I don't see the theme here as "cleaning" or "pollution"; rather, the larger theme I see is impact. The impact we have over our environment, the impact our environment has on us, and the impact that we can have on each other-for better or for worse. Yes, one of the ways that the pack shows this is through a new pollution system that responds to your Sims actions. Yes, your Sim can choose to help "clean up" the environment by making eco-concious choices. Putting solar panels, wind turbines, or even just a recycling bin on your Sims' lot doesn't just help them anymore. It helps the entire community.

However, there are a lot of elements of the pack that broaden this idea. The community space concept isn't just about "let's clean up the neighborhood." It's about Sims coming together to decide how to repurpose that space-hence the community voting. It probably would have been easier to have us choose an option from a menu, but instead our Sims will have to get the entire neighborhood involved in deciding what happens to that lot.

The crafting system now allows for Sims to fulfill specific orders from their neighbors rather than make whatever they choose and selling it into the void. It also allows Sims to use resources from the world around them, instead of paying a set fee for magic materials from nowhere.

We also know that we'll be able to influence our neighborhood through the Community Action Plan. Granted, we don't know too much about this yet-but it does seem to offer options that go beyond the environmental state of the world. Things like promoting the arts or promoting fitness (both of which were mentioned in the blog) have nothing to do with the environment, but they do have an impact on the general well-being of the Sims around you.

This is not a pack about cleaning up garbage. It's not a pack about your Sim saving the world from pollution. It's about your Sim having an impact on the community around them.

Just your last statement. If it is about a Sim having an impact on their community then why isn't that said in the email I got? Doesn't seem that is what they want to advertise.

Just because its not in the email they sent you doesn't make it not true. I recall seeing similar words on the website page for buy Eco Living used.

"It's about your Sim having an impact on the community around them."

On the site page:

"Control your impact on the world"
    "Plans your vote-- influence the state of the world"
    " Every decision you make--- influences the state of the world"

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs/expansion-packs/the-sims-4-eco-lifestyle

I also would like to add there are multiple people who write on their team and the same person might not of been doing the writing for the emails and the website. They are also trying to feed us the information little by little until the gameplay trailer; so they were probably vague in some areas on purpose.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

If you order it from Origin, it's the same price as consoles. People that are paying less are getting it from a different store than Origin.

I checked Origin PC myself after I wrote that post and I saw either 21 dollars or 27 dollars, but now its back to 39.99. I don't know if it was an error or not ( because I never hit the button to pre order) but when I checked there were less graphics on the page than there is now.

Add: There was the sale going on for the rest of the packs when I checked at the time. Maybe when I saw it they accidentally put it on the store for a discount too and fixed it after. But I know I saw the new pack for 20.00 something dollars when I first looked.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Just because its not in the email they sent you doesn't make it not true. I recall seeing similar words on the website page for buy Eco Living used.

On the site page:

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs/expansion-packs/the-sims-4-eco-lifestyle

I also would like to add there are multiple people who write on their team and the same person might not of been doing the writing for the emails and the website. They are also trying to feed us the information little by little until the gameplay trailer; so they were probably vague in some areas on purpose.

Marketing decided to email consumers the reason to buy the EP, right? Well, if you reread the email it's about cleaning up the 'world' more or less. An email to a consumer is supposed to highlight the very feature they want you to buy....nothing about Sims voting to change a common area.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member

Preach 🙌 When you stop and look at what the pack offers vs what we’ve been asking for, it actually ticks a lot of boxes, on delivering a long awaited theme.

Plus they’ve said it will affect (nearly) all worlds, so people can stop comparing it to seasons.. In fact it comes with a map too so isn’t that a one up on seasons? Im looking forward to the gameplay trailer, I hope there’s more surprises :)
  • Options

On the site page:

Marketing decided to email consumers the reason to buy the EP, right? Well, if you reread the email it's about cleaning up the 'world' more or less. An email to a consumer is supposed to highlight the very feature they want you to buy....nothing about Sims voting to change a common area.

& I will say again...

"I also would like to add there are multiple people who write on their team and the same person might not of been doing the writing for the emails and the website. They are also trying to feed us the information little by little until the gameplay trailer; so they were probably vague in some areas on purpose."

The writer probably talked more about cleanup because the website explains about the Sims having an impact on the world. This might appeal to some people so they'll go to the website to find out more information. Some people will look at the email and be like that's not for me and that's fine too; but more than not some people will go look at the website for more information. As far as the community goes I feel like we invest more time on finding out more information about what is going on with the franchise as its going on.

Nobody knew whether the other worlds were going to be effected until a Guru confirmed it. They didn't put it in the email, the website, or the trailer. A lot of people felt like that would of been a selling point and changed their mind about the pack. Which goes back to the point I made about them feeding little bits of information like they have always done.
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    edited May 2020
    A trailer is suppose to get people interested and it is something they can judge and decide if they like it or not. I wasn't impressed by the trailer but I can wait to see more. I know some people have been insulting the devs which is wrong. However they can say whether or not they like the trailer. Who gives anyone the right to tell people what they can and can't feel on a product. So to people on both sides let's just wait and see if this expansion pack is worth it.