Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In Defense of Eco Lifestyle

nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
We all know by now that the new trailer for The Sims 4: Eco Living dropped today. If you haven't watched it yet, please do so before you keep reading. You can find it here.

Let's start on Monday, May 4th. That day, somebody faked a Target leak for the next Expansion Pack, calling it Country Livin'. I know loads of people desperately want a farming pack and were excited by this leak before it was revealed to be fake. I have no interest in a Farming pack, but I do feel sorry for those of you who were disappointed when it was revealed that it was faked.

This leak is very important to the point I'm going to be making. Yesterday, May 5th, a leak from EA's website revealed the title and description of Eco Lifestyle. Obviously, people were upset, having just been fooled by a fake leak for an extremely requested pack. I get it. But is that really a good reason to right off the bat hate on Eco Lifestyle, even before the trailer drops?

Today the trailer dropped. Over 20,000 people tuned in for the premiere, only to be disappointed because they hadn't seen the Eco Lifestyle leak, or hadn't believed it, and are now expressing disappointment for the pack in the YouTube comments, on the Forum post about it, and probably on social media too. But let's be honest here- people voted for something like this.

In 2017, we had the first Community Stuff Pack vote. Obviously, Laundry won, but you know what category Laundry was in? Eco Living. We as a community voted for a Stuff Pack themed like the Expansion Pack we'll be getting on June 5th. Maybe you didn't vote for it, but obviously enough people did for the Sims community to assume we would like this pack. And what do they get, for all this hard work for something we asked for? Criticism, saying "This should have been a Game Pack!" or "This is so dumb!" or "This is all recycled from Island Living!" And this isn't constructive. This is rude, and the last statement isn't even true. The entire point of Eco Lifestyle is clearly to keep the environment healthy, while with Island Living it was more of a side feature.

Remember how when Island Living was released, we all really wanted a pack to expand the Off-The-Grid lot trait? Well, now we're probably going to get it. Wind Turbines? Yeah, we asked for that. Solar Panels? That too. And not to mention the fact that it has been confirmed by a SimGuru that Ladders are coming to the base game as a free patch? Something we have been asking for for years?

I'm going to go into a little bit of detail about the, "This should have been a Game Pack!" complaint. First off, remember how our sims actions will change the appearance of the world? That can't be easy to code. Not to mention the new career, the new Community Voting system coming with the pack, what looks like Death by Flys, Dumpster Diving, all those cool new machines, and by the looks of it yet another rehaul to the gardening system.

Speaking of gardening, isn't that a huge part of farming? Isn't this another step in the right direction towards being able to have farms in the game? And harvest in the Northern Hemisphere is later in the year, in the fall, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if Farming is the next Expansion pack.

Seriously, the trailer dropped just a few hours ago. We do not have nearly enough details about the pack to truly judge it. We can really only speculate on things not already in the trailer that the gurus have not confirmed. I think we as a community need to start being more open-minded about these things, and stop judging the pack by only it's reveal trailer. We need to be a little bit more positive, or at least neutral when these kinds of things happen. Let's at least wait until the Gameplay Trailer is dropped to throw it out the window.

Edit: I wanted to share this tweet as well because I know that worry about pollution only being in Evergreen Harbor has been a complaint.
funny-gifs20.gif

Post edited by nerdfashion on

Comments

• Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Yep my thoughts exactly. Thank you!
  • Options
    M1ss_PlumbumM1ss_Plumbum Posts: 189 Member
    And also we should remember that the Sims fans are more diverse than those on this forum. Perhaps there's a lot of rather old peopler around here.

Like there's a reason why Greta Thunberg are so populair, right? I mean IRL we actually have a HUGE problem with polution, CO2 and trash! Why shouldn't a game like The Sims show this reality? It's a LIFE simulation! Why simulate dead and an earth where no life cannot survive?

And also it's getting more IN for young people to live in tiny, eco friendly houses and do DIY-projects and live zero waste. More and more people live that lifestyle compared to for instance being famous, being a vampire or something like that. ;)

A lot of young people can relate to this theme. They are prostesting everywhere and asking for a green and healthy future for themselves and their future off spring.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Thank you for bringing up these points. I'm saddened be the the hate and venom coming out of the Sim's community right now. If people dislike a theme that is perfectly fine and they have a right to voice their opinion, but the way many are going about it is unhelpful and a bit toxic.

As someone who was looking forward to a farming pack, there is still a chance we may get it; this pack doesn't eliminate that possibility. In the meantime there are many fun features included in this pack that I was hoping to see in a farming pack (solar panels, water collection, crafting, etc.), so I personally am looking forward to exploring these things. And who knows, maybe next year we will finally get our farm animals.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Very well said op! I had a look at sim's twitter and facebook accounts and omg! People are trashing the pack! I almost feel weird for loving what i've already seen 😂 And i believe that there's much more to be revealed yet!
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    Very well said op! I had a look at sim's twitter and facebook accounts and omg! People are trashing the pack! I almost feel weird for loving what i've already seen 😂 And i believe that there's much more to be revealed yet!

I hope that too, but unfortunately the first trailer usually shows it all.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I wonder if there'll be a new university degree for the new career...
  • Options
    M1ss_PlumbumM1ss_Plumbum Posts: 189 Member
    Yea. I agree.

Also, I do also support a Farming Game Pack and a Horse Game Pack very much. But I'm also convinced we will get those packs fairly soon because we have had an official survey on that topic. And the gurus were very much hinting on a Horse Game Pack during the Realm of Magic Game Pack announcement (talking about equestrian clothing). Besides those two themes have been highly suggested. But packs take a lot of time to make. But I still think it's likely we will get one of those themes in a pack this year.

But the Eco Lifestyle theme will only support and deepening the experience of those other two themes.

In the end I think most will be happy. People just have to have more patience.

And the reason why we haven't got bunk beds, three houses, cranes etc. is that they are saving that for a pack around the generation theme. Also wedding dresses, romantic interaction, jalousy, online dating etc. are saved for a pack on romance....and so on. Or at least that's what I believe.

Sometimes I also feel like the devs should hurry up. But on the other hand I don't miss those times during The Sims 3 when I had to stop playing the sims all together because the game was completely ruined because of bugs. All in all, I'm happy with The Sims 4.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    This is nothing new. Just focus on your own enjoyment and anticipation and don't let negativity and nonconstructive criticism spoil it for you. :)
  • Options
    @asimbsim, best post I've seen all day.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    This Expansion Pack Reminds me of Get Together.

I remember when it was announced and the whole Community was on fire. The initial reaction was
    "Didn't we have Party Stuff Already?"
    "Isn't The Sims 4 already a YA Simulator?"
    "Clubs?We Already have Night Clubs in the game"
    "The Sims 4 Is Ending"
    "I have Lost Faith in The Sims 4"
    "This is the Worse Pack Ever"

And then it got released. Turns to be one of the best expansion packs in terms of gameplay. Tons of freedom. The gameplay is not about partying. The Sims 4 gave new tools to sandbox players that makes some players to come back in TS4. Also the No one ever asked for this. It is a new concept in the series. The concept of clubs expanded the things already in the base game and we never had the club feature in any game before. New Theme that was never been done. It is the same at this.

If there is another thing in common it is the awful marketing and release trailer. The Trailer didn't even show that you that everything is your choice but rather it shows that the world is already in awful state and sims are cleaning it. They didn't show that YOU the player Decide if you are going to destroy the world or not, or gave a proper explanation on how the Neighborhood Action plan works. The trailer is very vague. Not many simmers read their blogs so they should have make the trailer more exciting.

Let's take a look with GT. They created a new theme and have awful initial marketing. Remember that Dance Craze in Gamescom? So Embarassing. Now Eco has the same when it comes to the initial trailer. Clubs where nowhere to exist. Windenberg was hyped to be full of nightclubs. We never see anything about clubs rather than sims dancing together at almost every scene.

If they are going to introduce new themes and wanted to create trailer for it, they should have went to Ts3 style trailers where their is a brief moment of pose where they explain what is going on.

Imagine if the trailer shows that the player have the power to choose to destroy or clean the town, Clearly explain in the trailer what the heck is going on with the gardens sown in it. (or better, the different types of new events that could happen if the player decides to save the town or what happen in those space when the player abandoned it.). How the Sims create Candles and juices, new crafttables and then selling it. A clear hint that there is store to sell those, and what are the new objects that can be formed by recycling.

Instead we got a trailer that shows that simmers have to clean the town and be happy ala Strangerville. If they want the audience to understand are they working, then they should hire a new marketing Director for their team. The blog is even useful than the trailer. I mean look at Get To Work. It clearly explains everything while giving a few hints. This pack trailer causes misinterpretation and confusion

This is exactly why I try not to judge a pack until the Gameplay Trailer is released, because things should be explained in that.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I agree. I was someone who was ecstatic when I saw farming, especially thinking of the idea of horses. Then I saw it was fake and felt such disappointment. When I went into the trailer today, however, I viewed it with an open mind.

It actually seems to have a lot of things I've been wanting, even if it's not farming or horses.

People did vote for eco living stuff and to me, rather than viewing it as eco living spread out over a few packs in a negative way, I see it as them trying to give aspects of what people wanted before the final pack was ready. Maybe they weren't making this yet when Island Living came out. Hard to say, but I think this will be like Get Together where it's the smaller things all put together that make it great.

I'm curious to see what the devs/gurus have to say about this in the coming days and weeks.

I for one am grateful for something new and for the most part innovative for The Sims 4, rather than just a re-hash. I am hopeful that I will get Farming sooner rather than later, or at least my horses. :)
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    My initial reaction to the trailer was mixed, but after thinking it through some more I realized that this pack seems to be introducing things I’ve been wanting. Ever since the first community stuff pack votes, I remember the eco living theme sparking interest in the entire community, people were coming up with ideas left to right on what an eco living pack could introduce, we ended up with laundry, but everything else seems to be coming in this pack, at least a lot of the other suggestions. This EP to me almost seems like a community voted Expansion Pack, because people have wanted these type of things introduced.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited May 2020
    [@quote="nerdfashion;c-17486071"]
    TS1299 wrote: »
    This Expansion Pack Reminds me of Get Together.

I remember when it was announced and the whole Community was on fire. The initial reaction was
    "Didn't we have Party Stuff Already?"
    "Isn't The Sims 4 already a YA Simulator?"
    "Clubs?We Already have Night Clubs in the game"
    "The Sims 4 Is Ending"
    "I have Lost Faith in The Sims 4"
    "This is the Worse Pack Ever"

And then it got released. Turns to be one of the best expansion packs in terms of gameplay. Tons of freedom. The gameplay is not about partying. The Sims 4 gave new tools to sandbox players that makes some players to come back in TS4. Also the No one ever asked for this. It is a new concept in the series. The concept of clubs expanded the things already in the base game and we never had the club feature in any game before. New Theme that was never been done. It is the same at this.

If there is another thing in common it is the awful marketing and release trailer. The Trailer didn't even show that you that everything is your choice but rather it shows that the world is already in awful state and sims are cleaning it. They didn't show that YOU the player Decide if you are going to destroy the world or not, or gave a proper explanation on how the Neighborhood Action plan works. The trailer is very vague. Not many simmers read their blogs so they should have make the trailer more exciting.

Let's take a look with GT. They created a new theme and have awful initial marketing. Remember that Dance Craze in Gamescom? So Embarassing. Now Eco has the same when it comes to the initial trailer. Clubs where nowhere to exist. Windenberg was hyped to be full of nightclubs. We never see anything about clubs rather than sims dancing together at almost every scene.

If they are going to introduce new themes and wanted to create trailer for it, they should have went to Ts3 style trailers where their is a brief moment of pose where they explain what is going on.

Imagine if the trailer shows that the player have the power to choose to destroy or clean the town, Clearly explain in the trailer what the heck is going on with the gardens sown in it. (or better, the different types of new events that could happen if the player decides to save the town or what happen in those space when the player abandoned it.). How the Sims create Candles and juices, new crafttables and then selling it. A clear hint that there is store to sell those, and what are the new objects that can be formed by recycling.

Instead we got a trailer that shows that simmers have to clean the town and be happy ala Strangerville. If they want the audience to understand are they working, then they should hire a new marketing Director for their team. The blog is even useful than the trailer. I mean look at Get To Work. It clearly explains everything while giving a few hints. This pack trailer causes misinterpretation and confusion

[qoute]This is exactly why I try not to judge a pack until the Gameplay Trailer is released, because things should be explained in that.[/quote]

I gotta say tho the last game play trailer was in Discover University. I was visibly confused at what the girl is talking hahaha. I find live streams to more informative kind of like Tiny Living.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I’ll wait for the livestream. The trailers are often so top-level that the entire message is lost. The copy that goes into more detail on the pack webpage leaves a lot to be desired. There could be a lot of neat things that weren’t even addressed.

They’re not really the best at describing their games. Seems to be one of the reasons some people are still so confused about what the fluff GT is about.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm going to give this pack the benefit of the doubt for now. The vitriol from some simmers is a bit ridiculous. People comparing this to MFPS and Katy Perry's Sweet Treats sound like fools. There is some new and interesting stuff in here, and I personally hope that it will be more detailed than it looks in the trailer. The comparison to how GT came out is very accurate.
    I also hope there's more replayability than what it appears to have at this point.
    Still, I'm not convinced I'd spend $40 for this pack, I'll have to wait for gameplay videos to come out.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited May 2020
    Also, I think it's funny that when Island Living's trailer came out, everyone was in love with it, only later did they realize how shallow the pack was. This, hopefully, will be the opposite.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Actually wasn't sure if I would like this pack but I really think it would add a lot to my gameplay since it seems we get craft a bunch of different things which I like doing. Hope we get to find out more about what we can do with this pack.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    telmarina wrote: »

you shouldn't feel odd love what you love no matter what anyone says
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    It'll probably end up being one of the best selling packs. Once all the features are revealed and showcased. :)