Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In Defense of Eco Lifestyle

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    It'll probably end up being one of the best selling packs. Once all the features are revealed and showcased. :)

The problem may be that half of the potential worldwide audience is currently unemployed.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    It'll probably end up being one of the best selling packs. Once all the features are revealed and showcased. :)

The problem may be that half of the potential worldwide audience is currently unemployed.

True. Although I have seen some comments from simmers who're ready to have a bit of fun and forget about bills. Probably not wise but oh well. 🤷‍♀️
  • aiexaiex Posts: 103 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    What type of pack it should be is really up to Maxis/EA, not us. It is their system and their decision.

I, too, am apalled by the level of aggression displayed by certain folks this time around. It's never pretty when new content is announced (which is sad in and of itself), but this time it has gone overboard and then some. Covid-19 quarantine, lockdowns and whatnot is really not an excuse to lose one's head and act like a wild animal.

And I don't see how anyone is entitled to demand anything from the developers. How did you get that into your head? We have no seniority even if we've played their games for years. We are customers, nothing less and nothing more, and if something is not to our liking, we just don't buy it. That's how it works. We keep our cool, express our wishes in an articulate manner in the right places and wait. We may then get something we would like, or not. But that's the ultimate name of the game. Not everyone is going to get everything they want.

Maxis/EA have set about to try and accommodate a large and varied playerbase - mission impossible, if you ask me. But they are still trying, for better or worse. We can be thankful for that effort, the alternative being that they abandon the game altogether and stop making any content. I wouldn't want that. I don't think it's that important to get everything exactly my way.

The Sims 4 is never going to be The Sims 3. They are related and share similarities, but they are also two different and unique games. I wish everyone would just accept that.

You're totally right.. we ARE the customers, which means we can express how we feel about their product. I've seen some people going overboard but 99% of people complaining about it are doing it in a respectful manner. Understand that this pack is extremely lackluster compared to some of the other packs that they've released. I don't care if you "like the theme", because saying this EP lacks content is literally factual. Many of the animations are just rehashes from previous released packs.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited May 2020
    aiex wrote:
    Understand that this pack is extremely lackluster compared to some of the other packs that they've released.
    Do you have access to the pack? Your statement is but a personally flavored prediction, not a factual statement as you would have it sound like. That is where problems arise. You attempt to make a judgement based on a brief trailer. You know nothing more than the rest of us. Come back when you've played the pack. Then we can start taking your assessment seriously.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    edited May 2020
    Some people are crazy levels of angry because they don't like a pack theme. I'm going to assume the what happening in the world right now is making some people more touchy than normal because some of the things I've seen just aren't okay.

I'm excited about what I've seen. I'm interested in the information that community lots can be in other worlds. The pack looks like it has a lot of little things that I can spread out into other families which I also enjoy. I keep seeing that 'no one would have voted for this as a EP' but you know what? I would have. I like green living and sustainable architecture.

I do hope it's better than IL though. There are just some weird... lazy parts of that game. Like why can't mermaids use ladders when they can do the tail to legs change to use boats? Why can't they snorkel? Why did they cheap out on tanning and only do natural skin tones? Why was there a cave with a mural that ultimately did nothing? Oh not to forget mermaids don't have a special Grave or Crib even though Spellcasters and even Servos (grave only) do?? What is that nonsense?

Just weirdly incomplete in places that I hope this pack doesn't suffer from.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I also wanted to add that I'm sure the devs saw the reaction to when simmers thought it was Country Livin, and probably are already working on farming.

I am looking forward to this pack and think it will tie in well with current and future packs
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
    aiex wrote:
    Understand that this pack is extremely lackluster compared to some of the other packs that they've released.
    Do you have access to the pack? Your statement is but a personally flavored prediction, not a factual statement as you would have it sound like. That is where problems arise. You attempt to make a judgement based on a brief trailer. You know nothing more than the rest of us. Come back when you've played the pack. Then we can start taking your assessment seriously.

Did you know that you can actually go on the TS4 official website and read about what the pack has to offer? A lot of what they've written does not seem to add extensive elements to the overall gameplay, or many things included in the pack seem like a do it once and then you're done. We can agree to disagree though, as you seem excited for the pack, but it seems many other people are not. Go look at the official trailer they released yesterday and read what is written in the comments.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020

True. Although I have seen some comments from simmers who're ready to have a bit of fun and forget about bills. Probably not wise but oh well. 🤷‍♀️
    Yeah I'm not working, but I have saved for a rainy day and have a financial portfolio set up. So thankfully my planning ahead panned out and saved a bit aside from the $1,200 I got and the tax refund I got. I majored in business/accounting so was able to do my own books and taxes, so yeah I had to be a good example with my own finances if I was going to do them for other people. I even have some set aside for some stocks. Good time to buy Disney. I have my treasury bonds, IRA, and Roth IRA all invested. Plus I live at home to take care of my parents and do grocery shopping for them. My dad has cancer and my mom had heart surgery so they are very high risk. Thankfully I am much better off than when I met SimGuruDrake who was so sweet at me at the time when I wasn't as financially stable after paying off my student loan.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Yeah I'm not working, but I have saved for a rainy day and have a financial portfolio set up. So thankfully my planning ahead panned out and saved a bit aside from the $1,200 I got and the tax refund I got. I majored in business/accounting so was able to do my own books and taxes, so yeah I had to be a good example with my own finances if I was going to do them for other people. I even have some set aside for some stocks. Good time to buy Disney. I have my treasury bonds, IRA, and Roth IRA all invested. Plus I live at home to take care of my parents and do grocery shopping for them. My dad has cancer and my mom had heart surgery so they are very high risk. Thankfully I am much better off than when I met SimGuruDrake who was so sweet at me at the time when I wasn't as financially stable after paying off my student loan.

I wish you all the best, let us stay strong and healthy. Better times will come again.
    edited May 2020
    Scobre wrote: »

I wish you all the best, let us stay strong and healthy. Better times will come again.
    Thanks. I have been watching the news and guess there are cases that have been around since last November, one in France from December. So I could have had it earlier and not known it. There was a time this January which I kept feeling flu like symptoms for several weeks and my mom did too and we stayed in. Thankfully I had a recent regular virus and was tested negative for that and strep throat.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 446 Member
    Oh I'm not angry, I just don't care for this content. They have missed their mark so often already with sims 4 since the very beginning that they've set the bar very low.

I'm back at sims 3 anyways, unless sims actually start acting differently from each other and do interesting things on their own without me telling them to do it, I won't play sims 4 unless it's to build a house or something because the gameplay remains boring no matter how many expansions they add if they don't adress this problem with the sims themselves.
  • A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Also, I think it's funny that when Island Living's trailer came out, everyone was in love with it, only later did they realize how shallow the pack was. This, hopefully, will be the opposite.

I agree. I think they missed an opportunity with Island Living to add real estate (like rental properties and second homes) to the game. I haven’t played it yet but there doesn’t seem to be a lot that can be used in gameplay outside that world beyond the build/buy and CAS items.

I’m excited for some of the aspects I saw in the trailer and read in the blog. I’ve been wanting candle making and nectar making since forever.

I was a little disappointed when they cleaned up the dump, though. One of the things I wished they had done in the S3 was make it so you could use the handiness skill to fix up the furniture you’d find at the dump instead of just blowing it up for parts.

From the trailer it looks like you can make things from the dump but not sure if they’re usable or just things to sell on Plopsy. But if they clean up the dump then that goes away?

I like that they are adding packs with a storyline but they need to make them more replayable. Even if it’s only two or three different iterations that we can cycle through because there are so many other stories of our own to be played in between and I like the quirkiness of the Strangerville world and its CAS/build items even without the premade story. But that wasn’t an EP so I wasn’t expecting as much out of it.

It sounds as if Eco Living is going to have a lot in it besides the cleaning up the neighborhood story. I plan to give it a try but I don’t buy EP’s until they’re on sale. I think this is part of what people are upset about - paying the price of an EP for what they believe will amount to a stuff pack once they’ve played through the “game” portion (i.e. cleaned up the neighborhood) once.

I believe it’s more helpful to explain your disappointment and expectations than to just say something’s “🐸🐸🐸🐸”. It may not be what you wanted or hoped for but real people worked hard on it and they don’t deserve their work being called sh:t. Especially when all we’ve seen is a short little trailer.

If it comes out all buggy and stuff then you can blast them. 😁
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Like many others I was disappointed yesterday when the trailer came out. The theme is not what I was personally hoping for and seems like it's already been done. But today I am over it (the disappointment). Who knows, there may be some added features that make more of a difference than I'm expecting, like the shared community spaces which apparently can be in any world.

My biggest hope is there is more actual gameplay than Island Living.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I also see a lot of people taking this pack as a threat to their political/ social beliefs. They interpret it as EA preaching at them. When, in reality, the "agenda" in this pack is very simple and basic. We've been recycling and trying to reduce our carbon footprint for decades, and pollution has been known about for over a century, so I'm a bit confused about it. I guess they must be extreme anti-environmentalists. I don't even consider myself an environmentalist and wasn't bother by the message of this pack.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited May 2020
    A_Mom wrote: »
    I agree. I think they missed an opportunity with Island Living to add real estate (like rental properties and second homes) to the game. I haven’t played it yet but there doesn’t seem to be a lot that can be used in gameplay outside that world beyond the build/buy and CAS items.

I’m excited for some of the aspects I saw in the trailer and read in the blog. I’ve been wanting candle making and nectar making since forever.

I was a little disappointed when they cleaned up the dump, though. One of the things I wished they had done in the S3 was make it so you could use the handiness skill to fix up the furniture you’d find at the dump instead of just blowing it up for parts.

From the trailer it looks like you can make things from the dump but not sure if they’re usable or just things to sell on Plopsy. But if they clean up the dump then that goes away?

I like that they are adding packs with a storyline but they need to make them more replayable. Even if it’s only two or three different iterations that we can cycle through because there are so many other stories of our own to be played in between and I like the quirkiness of the Strangerville world and its CAS/build items even without the premade story. But that wasn’t an EP so I wasn’t expecting as much out of it.

It sounds as if Eco Living is going to have a lot in it besides the cleaning up the neighborhood story. I plan to give it a try but I don’t buy EP’s until they’re on sale. I think this is part of what people are upset about - paying the price of an EP for what they believe will amount to a stuff pack once they’ve played through the “game” portion (i.e. cleaned up the neighborhood) once.

I believe it’s more helpful to explain your disappointment and expectations than to just say something’s “🌺🌺🌺🌺”. It may not be what you wanted or hoped for but real people worked hard on it and they don’t deserve their work being called sh:t. Especially when all we’ve seen is a short little trailer.

If it comes out all buggy and stuff then you can blast them. 😁

I totally agree with you. I hope there's a lot more content than Island Living. And I hope there will be more items that go beyond the story that we can use in other neighborhoods. I think the Community Centers should be cool, and can be placed in other worlds. Similar to Get Together, we have to wait to see what other content is in store.

I think people are just being ridiculous with this pack. Island Living was much worse and didn't get half the hate that this pack is getting. While some people are being constructive, others are just being plain nasty.

I'm not exactly pumped for this pack, but I think the amount of scrutiny this pack is getting is over the top. I think there is a political element to peoples' dislike for it as well.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    aiex wrote:
    Go look at the official trailer they released yesterday and read what is written in the comments.
    I already watched the trailer and I liked what I saw. It is that simple. Why would I waste time dwelling on even more negativity elsewhere? Nothing anyone says will change that I look forward to this pack. What are you trying to achieve with all this gall? Why can't you just let people who want this pack have it?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited May 2020
    aiex wrote:
    Go look at the official trailer they released yesterday and read what is written in the comments.
    I already watched the trailer and I liked what I saw. It is that simple. Why would I waste time dwelling on even more negativity elsewhere? Nothing anyone says will change that I look forward to this pack. What are you trying to achieve with all this gall? Why can't you just let people who want this pack have it?
    Yeah I wouldn't trust Youtube comments either. Full of negativity there. It is like reading fan site comments. Very scary places. I mean this is coming from someone who doesn't like everything Maxis has released over the past 18 years too. If people have to be swayed in either direction how to feel about packs using social media, they are nothing more than followers copying other people. It is something thankfully we learn as adults not to follow someone if they say jump into danger.
    aiex wrote:

I'm voicing my opinion, just like you have been this entire time as well.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I am still wondering what type of person loves recycled animations and reskinned objects. That is what I saw directly in the trailer. Those people confuse me, because they love not getting anything innovative or new. Still waiting to see the actual significant gameplay features and to see if the aspiration is more than just a pack tutorial. I have very little faith anymore.
    edited May 2020
    I am still wondering what type of person loves recycled animations and reskinned objects. That is what I saw directly in the trailer. Those people confuse me, because they love not getting anything innovative or new. Still waiting to see the actual significant gameplay features and to see if the aspiration is more than just a pack tutorial. I have very little faith anymore.
    Good samaritan people like me, hello. I grew up in California beach city, so if people visited they left so much trash. So we had to clean up after them a lot. It was always like thank you for your money now leave after the summer season ended because they really did live like hoarders with their litterbug cars and surroundings. My city did come up with something innovative with how to make ocean water into pure water which may come in handy one day. Everything in life has a price and I think it is a lesson that just comes with time and community education. I am an underdog, so yeah while all the Tom Nooks of the world like to pollute the earth and only ask for money, we get to clean up their messes and make the places look liveable and not like a hoarder's house. Even the entitled need maids to clean up after them. It is like someone needing a caretaker for when they get older just because they can no longer do something themselves which is always sad to see.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    aiex wrote: »
    aiex wrote:

Did you know that you can actually go on the TS4 official website and read about what the pack has to offer? A lot of what they've written does not seem to add extensive elements to the overall gameplay, or many things included in the pack seem like a do it once and then you're done. We can agree to disagree though, as you seem excited for the pack, but it seems many other people are not. Go look at the official trailer they released yesterday and read what is written in the comments.

Actually there is much more content in the expansion packs than what we can read in those little descriptions on the sims official website.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I also see a lot of people taking this pack as a threat to their political/ social beliefs. They interpret it as EA preaching at them. When, in reality, the "agenda" in this pack is very simple and basic. We've been recycling and trying to reduce our carbon footprint for decades, and pollution has been known about for over a century, so I'm a bit confused about it. I guess they must be extreme anti-environmentalists. I don't even consider myself an environmentalist and wasn't bother by the message of this pack.

We saw that globally last year. People react very badly to planet conservation.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Honestly until we know more about it, my main issue is still that it's an either / or thing - why split everything up into bits and pieces. And I don't even mean IL and EL, I mean EL, TL, knitting and farm animals. That's a lot of packs centered around the off the grid / farming theme 🤷🏻‍♀️

But I do like all the hobbies this seems to add - just waiting to find out how deep that gameplay will actually be before making my final judgment.