Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4's Underrated Features.

Comments

• Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    The multi-tasking feature is great! It's so awesome to be able to work out and watch cooking channel at the same time. Saves a lot of time in the long run. I do not use cheats, mods, or even the Jasmine Holiday rewards, so my sims have to earn everything they achieve. So multi-tasking is a great feature for me.

I have a pretty high end gaming computer, but 4 runs so much better and more smoothly than 3 ever did, which is a huge plus!

Oh yes...and the ultra fast speed time while sleeping and working is a huge improvement over the Sims 3! I used to hate sitting there waiting for the sims to finish sleeping in 3...and, the longer the game when on, the slower the speed went as the game started to lag and be bogged down by numerous sims, tons of inventory, and spawning pets.

@ShaddBoi agreed, multitasking is wonderful! It's one of the reasons I struggle when returning to playing TS3 or TS2; I used to have to line up a bunch of different actions in the que in 2&3, but now most actions can be done simultaneously. I also often have my sims work out and watch the cooking channel as well!

Funny you say that...went back to playing Sims 3 last week to review the Seasons and what they looked like, and I was not used to not having multi tasking. The game felt so foreign after not playing it for so long. Still great game, but def like how Sims 4 is way more fluid. Some may argue that is because Sims 4 has way less content, but, thus far, it's working for me. Cannot wait for Seasons though!!

@ShaddBoi I definitely agree that TS4 is more fluid, and the only reason it has less content is because it hasn't been out long enough to accumulate everything TS3 had. People need to remember that there was a whole store's worth of content for that game, and almost no one could run that game effectively on their PC (I struggled a lot). TS3 was great fun, but I really don't miss it. TS2, for what it's worth, was my favorite iteration of the Sims until TS4.

Yes, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my sims 2 disks. I had them all but gave them away several years ago. That really was an awesome game!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that load screens really don't bother me in 4. I find them to be somewhat helpful since they tend to clear away any "sins" that may occur at the location, where, in sims 3, you would get objects stuck in the surrounding that you couldn't get rid of. Things like plates and even stuck Sims.

@ShaddBoi Load screens have never bothered me, and you're right. Often, if a glitch happens in my game, just visiting another lot and going back resets things. Couldn't do that in TS3; too much happening all at once. While I understand the appeal of an open world, people gotta be able to afford a system than can run something like that before you try making that the standard.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    The multi-tasking feature is great! It's so awesome to be able to work out and watch cooking channel at the same time. Saves a lot of time in the long run. I do not use cheats, mods, or even the Jasmine Holiday rewards, so my sims have to earn everything they achieve. So multi-tasking is a great feature for me.

I have a pretty high end gaming computer, but 4 runs so much better and more smoothly than 3 ever did, which is a huge plus!

Oh yes...and the ultra fast speed time while sleeping and working is a huge improvement over the Sims 3! I used to hate sitting there waiting for the sims to finish sleeping in 3...and, the longer the game when on, the slower the speed went as the game started to lag and be bogged down by numerous sims, tons of inventory, and spawning pets.

@ShaddBoi agreed, multitasking is wonderful! It's one of the reasons I struggle when returning to playing TS3 or TS2; I used to have to line up a bunch of different actions in the que in 2&3, but now most actions can be done simultaneously. I also often have my sims work out and watch the cooking channel as well!

Funny you say that...went back to playing Sims 3 last week to review the Seasons and what they looked like, and I was not used to not having multi tasking. The game felt so foreign after not playing it for so long. Still great game, but def like how Sims 4 is way more fluid. Some may argue that is because Sims 4 has way less content, but, thus far, it's working for me. Cannot wait for Seasons though!!

@ShaddBoi I definitely agree that TS4 is more fluid, and the only reason it has less content is because it hasn't been out long enough to accumulate everything TS3 had. People need to remember that there was a whole store's worth of content for that game, and almost no one could run that game effectively on their PC (I struggled a lot). TS3 was great fun, but I really don't miss it. TS2, for what it's worth, was my favorite iteration of the Sims until TS4.

Yes, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my sims 2 disks. I had them all but gave them away several years ago. That really was an awesome game!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that load screens really don't bother me in 4. I find them to be somewhat helpful since they tend to clear away any "sins" that may occur at the location, where, in sims 3, you would get objects stuck in the surrounding that you couldn't get rid of. Things like plates and even stuck Sims.

@ShaddBoi Load screens have never bothered me, and you're right. Often, if a glitch happens in my game, just visiting another lot and going back resets things. Couldn't do that in TS3; too much happening all at once. While I understand the appeal of an open world, people gotta be able to afford a system than can run something like that before you try making that the standard.

Absolutely agree.

Those stuck horses used to drive me crazy!!! They were everywhere and they totally bogged down the game!
  • Options

Absolutely agree.

Those stuck horses used to drive me crazy!!! They were everywhere and they totally bogged down the game!

@ShaddBoi Horses were the worst! Don't get me wrong, I loved them; would love to see a farming GP or something in this game with super large lots to accommodate such a thing, but that open world stuff I will never miss. My biggest peeve of TS3 was when I bought Island Paradise before I realized the whole world was bugged and unplayable. So frustrating.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    I don't think it's underrated but I really appreciate the CAS engine. it really is amazing.

-Yarden.
  • Options
    Yardenro wrote: »
    I don't think it's underrated but I really appreciate the CAS engine. it really is amazing.

@Yardenro I enjoy it as well! Sometimes I open my game just to play around in CAS. I can spend hours there.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    Yardenro wrote: »

Absolutely agree :smiley:
  • Options

Absolutely agree.

@ShaddBoi Horses were the worst! Don't get me wrong, I loved them; would love to see a farming GP or something in this game with super large lots to accommodate such a thing, but that open world stuff I will never miss. My biggest peeve of TS3 was when I bought Island Paradise before I realized the whole world was bugged and unplayable. So frustrating.

Haha I actually had a horse stuck on a houseboat once and it crushed my gameplay. First I had to find it, and, once I did, I ended up having to delete the houseboat because the horse would not reset. I don't play with cc or mods so this was all standard game issues haha

IP would have been absolutely amazing if it was not so buggy. May have been my favorite but I rarely played it because it lagged and lagged. For one thing, I think it was maybe too big. It had a ton of lots that may not have helped our cause. But it was awful for performance.

I always though sunset valley had the best performance. Bridgeport was awesome but it had its performance issues as well...mainly due to routing issue, I read somewhere.
  • Options

Absolutely agree.

Haha I actually had a horse stuck on a houseboat once and it crushed my gameplay. First I had to find it, and, once I did, I ended up having to delete the houseboat because the horse would not reset. I don't play with cc or mods so this was all standard game issues haha

IP would have been absolutely amazing if it was not so buggy. May have been my favorite but I rarely played it because it lagged and lagged. For one thing, I think it was maybe too big. It had a ton of lots that may not have helped our cause. But it was awful for performance.

I always though sunset valley had the best performance. Bridgeport was awesome but it had its performance issues as well...mainly due to routing issue, I read somewhere.

@ShaddBoi I loved the idea of swimming in the ocean and living on the beach, still want to see those things, but now I don't have to worry about an entire world breaking my game (hopefully).

A horse on a houseboat...everything about that is wrong, lol.

I agree with you, I think Sunset Valley did have the best performance, and I loved Bridgeport, but I did tire of all the routing issues. Jogging in Bridgeport was one of my favorite pastimes, just because I liked looking at all the lights and tall buildings.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    AKLSimmerAKLSimmer Posts: 78 Member
    The social features in Get Together, like talk up/hook up/ask about sim/trash sim/break up with sim, and also the phone calls and emotional texts. Features other than clubs and Windenburg in Get Together deserves more love.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018

Absolutely agree.

TS4 has it's own stuck object problems. Such as Sims get stuck out on a roof and that has to be patched from time to time. It is because of having a desk in a room next to a ledge. It also has it's stuck plates out on sidewalks and those have to be patched out over and over. It also has it hidden dirty dish stuck somewhere in a bookcase. TS3 gets a lot of bad press so to speak, but TS4 has it share of annoying bugs that keep returning over and over. Like the broken Lice Freezer, though patched several times, is still broken (again).

I think I enjoyed saving a room to add later to a different build that made things much easier if you wanted to rebuild something but didn't want to decorate a room over and over while you changed a lay out of a building in a different build. Also, that I could send Sims somewhere and leave them for awhile then return home to see some peace with other Sims. That is one of the best things about TS4, they would be o.k. gone out of my sight, and they would eventually come home on their own without me having to go back thru a loading screen to pick them up.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member

Yes please - the multi tasking is awesome and I can't agree more on the ultra fast speed while sleeping!
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    AKLSimmer wrote: »
    The social features in Get Together, like talk up/hook up/ask about sim/trash sim/break up with sim, and also the phone calls and emotional texts. Features other than clubs and Windenburg in Get Together deserves more love.

yes that is nice
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Absolutely agree.

TS4 has it's own stuck object problems. Such as Sims get stuck out on a roof and that has to be patched from time to time. It is because of having a desk in a room next to a ledge. It also has it's stuck plates out on sidewalks and those have to be patched out over and over. It also has it hidden dirty dish stuck somewhere in a bookcase. TS3 gets a lot of bad press so to speak, but TS4 has it share of annoying bugs that keep returning over and over. Like the broken Lice Freezer, though patched several times, is still broken (again).

I think I enjoyed saving a room to add later to a different build that made things much easier if you wanted to rebuild something but didn't want to decorate a room over and over while you changed a lay out of a building in a different build. Also, that I could send Sims somewhere and leave them for awhile then return home to see some peace with other Sims. That is one of the best things about TS4, they would be o.k. gone out of my sight, and they would eventually come home on their own without me having to go back thru a loading screen to pick them up.

@Cinebar Yes, TS4 has its share of bugs, that is true. Impossible to avoid it seems, however, I had more game breaking issues in TS3 than I've ever had in TS4; so far (fingers crossed) that only has happened once.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018

Absolutely agree.

@Cinebar Yes, TS4 has its share of bugs, that is true. Impossible to avoid it seems, however, I had more game breaking issues in TS3 than I've ever had in TS4; so far (fingers crossed) that only has happened once.

I wil leave your thread because the last time I played I had like a zillion bugs in TS4 that were game breaking this past Aug. It was enough to make me remove it and Origin. But there were a lot of things I did like about TS4 or I wouldn't have tried to play it for three years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I most enjoy the expressions of my Sims. The way their emotions play into it helps make them interesting to look at when they talk or really do anything. In previous iterations I didn’t really zoom I. Close to their faces that much (had no reason to). But now I do it all the time and am enjoying actually watching my Sims more than before.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I like their expressions the best I think they're the best in all the sims games
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2018
    I most enjoy the expressions of my Sims. The way their emotions play into it helps make them interesting to look at when they talk or really do anything. In previous iterations I didn’t really zoom I. Close to their faces that much (had no reason to). But now I do it all the time and am enjoying actually watching my Sims more than before.

I agree with this. I like the expression of the sims in TS4. One thing I truly hate about TS3 is how the faces can look ... very glitched :D It doesn't happen all the time but it never really happens to me in TS4. And they've got a lot of fun animation to show sadness, anger, stress, embarrassment, happiness, ... some of which are truly hilarious. The other day my sim was in the sauna, completely dazed from the bubbleblower. It was very fun to watch. I've got no screenshot of it, but still, the expressiveness on their faces is something I like about this version a lot as well!

ye4zRa6.png
    PrPssFt.png
    Zifprp7.png
    IRijHFm.png

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I like that children and toddlers react to a new sibling. I also like that sims with the dislike children trait do not have a happy response to finding out their wife/girlfriend is pregnant and pregnant sims with that trait get tense during it.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    -The ability to click a button and have a sim Auto Solve their low needs themselves. Yeah sometimes they make questionable choices like cake or a free meal when there are better choices in the fridge or to nap instead of sleeping but it gives them personalities for their choices in life.

-That we can have multiple outfits per category. And that other sims do not laugh or freak out when you're wearing an outfit from the "wrong" category in a situation so you can use other clothing categories for extra options. Also the fact that sims will randomly choose to dress in an outfit from the everyday outfit after taking a shower. I love seeing their choices and if they develop favorites (they often do!)

-That there are a lot of little details that I'm still discovering. Like recently I discovered if you put a mirror next to a bed sims will sit on the bed when directed to do interactions with the mirror.

-The Splicing gardening system to get different plants. I don't garden much but I think that it's cool that it's set up that way!
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options

Absolutely agree.

I wil leave your thread because the last time I played I had like a zillion bugs in TS4 that were game breaking this past Aug. It was enough to make me remove it and Origin. But there were a lot of things I did like about TS4 or I wouldn't have tried to play it for three years.

@Cinebar I'm sorry you've had to experience that. Believe me, after what I went through with TS3, I can understand your frustration.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options

@ThePinkBookGirl I've experienced this myself!
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    3KNPen wrote: »
    -The ability to click a button and have a sim Auto Solve their low needs themselves. Yeah sometimes they make questionable choices like cake or a free meal when there are better choices in the fridge or to nap instead of sleeping but it gives them personalities for their choices in life.

-That we can have multiple outfits per category. And that other sims do not laugh or freak out when you're wearing an outfit from the "wrong" category in a situation so you can use other clothing categories for extra options. Also the fact that sims will randomly choose to dress in an outfit from the everyday outfit after taking a shower. I love seeing their choices and if they develop favorites (they often do!)

-That there are a lot of little details that I'm still discovering. Like recently I discovered if you put a mirror next to a bed sims will sit on the bed when directed to do interactions with the mirror.

-The Splicing gardening system to get different plants. I don't garden much but I think that it's cool that it's set up that way!

@3KNPen Sometimes they will also, if you've directed them to go to bed after a nightly shower, they will change into their sleepwear instead!

I don't use the Auto Solve feature enough. Only just recently realized it was a thing.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options

Yes please - the multi tasking is awesome and I can't agree more on the ultra fast speed while sleeping!

I know right? It's better than watching your sims sleep for a few minutes straight haha
  • Options
    3KNPen wrote: »

I did not know about the bed/mirror thing. I need to check that out!
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I love the option to save my sims to my library at any level of progress. I can then pop them into another save game (or even in the same save game) in CAS with their career at the same level and skills/traits intact... or I can change the way they look and their name/major traits in CAS and just carry on without doing all that "work" again.
    It's a great way for me to make caterers or musicians for "hiring" without having to do it all over again.. or cheat in skills. I guess I don't consider in game tools cheats so it doesn't bug me.
    I do have a bug that shows up with this though in that when I change traits they seem to have some residue of the old ones left over. I know there is a cheat to clean it but I don't usually bother with that. I just use sims with traits that won't bother me.
    egTcBMc.png