Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4's Underrated Features.

Comments

• Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    The theme song is a bop
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I like that aspirations are more relaxed so you can play without completing them if you want. I find them tedious so I hardly ever fully complete any and my sims don't go crazy. I love that we can kind of decide what to focus on without it being necessary and there's lots of freedom for whatever gameplay we prefer
    My favourite thing is the gallery because I can't build and don't really enjoy it at all.
    I love how fast cas is? In Sims 3 my cas was a big laggy mess.
    Speaking of cas I love that the hairs and clothes we have are nice enough to not need cc. Sims 3 was uhhh... yeah
    I love how easy it is to download cc too without that installing it through the launcher business
    I love the club system for keeping my families together if I decide to move kids out. I usually have a family club to keep in touch because I kind of forget

@Anastaciasgem You are absolutely correct about the aspirations! It is wonderful to play more relaxed and not have to deal with sims losing their marbles if you don't complete an aspiration.

I do feel a bit nostalgic for the sack babies and the dumpster-diving, but changing aspirations on the fly has become a major part of game play. If I've got a Sim with a parenting aspiration and the next step is to help a kid with homework, but the kid is still a toddler, I can switch to something else and keep gaining those aspiration points. (There's a really nice aspiration hack-cheat: give your Sims the wealth aspiration and use motherlode to start your Sim household with $300,000. The Sim you've selected will immediately achieve the wealth aspriation and gain enough points to get the 'seldom sleepy' reward. Select other Sims in the household and repeat. Gives everyone more time to do stuff instead of watching them sleep.)

@invisiblgirl I've done that myself several times! Before they had the Seldom Sleepy reward trait, it was Never Sleeps (or whatever it's called), so now I've got a few sims who are up 24/7; I was annoyed at first, but I just pretend they're insomniacs who somehow don't suffer consequences for it and they get several hours to themselves to do the things they enjoy, without interruption. It's kinda nice. Gives me more than enough time to get chores done as well as all the other things I want my sims to do.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    The ability to delete sims in manage households now that I think about it, in sims 2 deleting things with the in-game option could cause corruption usually meaning you had to refresh your hood by deleting it and replacing it undoing however much you did to start over. I think there were times when ignoring corruption meant having to reinstall the game but those might have been patched. Even in ts3 it was sometimes a bad idea I stopped deleting sims.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    The ability to delete sims in manage households now that I think about it, in sims 2 deleting things with the in-game option could cause corruption usually meaning you had to refresh your hood by deleting it and replacing it undoing however much you did to start over. I think there were times when ignoring corruption meant having to reinstall the game but those might have been patched. Even in ts3 it was sometimes a bad idea I stopped deleting sims.

@RedDestiny92 From what I understand, it can cause corruption in TS4 as well, but that hasn't stopped me from doing so in the past.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,598 Member
    edited June 2018
    My favorite feature is probably how I can have sims still keep relationships with other sims and they can come visit no matter what world it is.

No lost relationships, lost family trees or anything like you had to start all over just because you moved your sim to a different world. Plus, you can see other sims visiting in the world from time to time or at other places, which I really enjoy, so it never feels like there's some heavy penalty for sims living far away from one another.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    My favorite feature is probably how I can have sims still keep relationships with other sims and they can come visit no matter what world it is.

No lost relationships, lost family trees or anything like you had to start all over just because you moved your sim to a different world. Plus, you can see other sims visiting in the world from time to time or at other places, which I enjoy.

@LadyKyn Agreed. The one feature that was absent from TS3 was having all the world connected. It was the real reason I was so excited for TS4, and then they introduced multi-tasking, and I knew I liked this version better than 3.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,198 Member
    I love the ability to easily travel between worlds. It creates such a diversity in the game. In prior games you were limited to one world.
    I also love the rotational play feature. I get to play with a new family whenever I become bored with one family. I can start a new family, while having existing families nearby and they can be interacted with. This keeps the game always interesting.
    I think the "Manage Households" feature is very underrated... mostly because a lot of people don't really know about it or how it actually works. It's definitely a really awesome feature for players (such as myself) who want their worlds filled with families that progress, but also don't really wanna play more than one household at a time. This is something I've always kinda wanted in The Sims... and was so happy to see it introduced in Sims 4! :smile:

I love being able to play one household, while also making sure other families in the world(s) can have kids, get married, etc... without me actually playing them. Also, the fact that I can actually give them nice looking houses without using money cheats is amazing as well! :heart:

I am glad we have the manage households feature. It is a great way to take a look at every sim that exists in your world... even the townies. In the past, townies were just people who randomly showed up from nowhere in your game. Now you have control over them.
    Cloudiiii wrote: »
    I love the ability to travel from world to world rather than just staying in one
    This is my favorite feature in the game.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,598 Member

@LadyKyn Agreed. The one feature that was absent from TS3 was having all the world connected. It was the real reason I was so excited for TS4, and then they introduced multi-tasking, and I knew I liked this version better than 3.

Yep~ That was a bummer really, I remember when I played ts3 and was pretty upset that my sim had no more connections with their family couldn't call or see them or their romantic interest. So, I was really excited to see that the worlds were connected. <3
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    @ShadyLady89 Really? Wasn't sure though I also only delete random townies clogging up the world with their nonsense maybe it was fixed or it depends on what you're deleting.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    @ShadyLady89 Really? Wasn't sure though I also only delete random townies clogging up the world with their nonsense maybe it was fixed or it depends on what you're deleting.
    @RedDestiny92 could be they fixed it, sure hope that’s the case. I don’t think deleting townies does much good, just because I’m pretty sure I discovered the game just regenerates the same amount no matter what. I only find it irksome when there are a bunch of elder townies, but eventually they die off and new townies take their place.

Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    @ShadyLady89 well in times where I've deleted large groups at once (maybe 10 or 15) townies seemed to respawn one or two at a time making them more manageable. However, in one older save where I had a lot of played sims and had kept a while I went a few days at a time without any townies respawning immediately it might have been fixed or it's not a guaranteed problem and you could work around it. Oh yeah there are times when I get ten or more elders and I'll just keep one or two of them just one of those things to double check. I think though there is something like if you delete a sim that was being used as a bartender they might be replaced throughout the night along with DJs so those might respawn more than one sim at a time.

Let me think..I think I'm way in the minority here but I like when the sims choose random things to eat no matter the time of day, as a foodie I could care less what time it is if I have cake and I want it that's breakfast ha.
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    @RedDestiny92 I guess I never noticed if the ones I deleted were service sims. That very well may have been my problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

And I agree, one thing I missed in TS3 from TS2 was the ability to make whatever food you wanted whenever, and then they brought it back in TS4. I created versions of the characters from the book The Outsiders, and the Curtis brothers always had chocolate cake for breakfast, because that was a thing in the book.
    Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    @ShadyLady89 oh sure, I mean have seen others mentioning different spawning issues than I have it just seems that while clearing out a lot of sims if you keep enough for the bartenders, spa attendants and such that the game isn't forced to add in too many extras.

Oh best breakfast ever :) It's even better in ts2 with the 'make' option so if there was something that didn't pop up for whatever reason you could still make it and serve as normal I think that's an Open For Business option.
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    I love how social sims are in TS4. In TS3, my families didn't seem to pay much attention to each other unless I directed them too. I especially love how friends will hug and sweethearts will kiss each other in greeting. Reminds me of when kids would run to hug their parents after they returned from work in TS2. I love when sims pay attention to each other. :)
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I love how social sims are in TS4. In TS3, my families didn't seem to pay much attention to each other unless I directed them too. I especially love how friends will hug and sweethearts will kiss each other in greeting. Reminds me of when kids would run to hug their parents after they returned from work in TS2. I love when sims pay attention to each other. :)

me to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    As an Simmer who played the Sims from the first and to present, as far as underrated features goes there are not many. But there are a few I like and there are some that needs work. Not everybody had an bad experience with Sims 3 for it relied more on what you ran and how the developer supported thier program and I had an good experience with Sims 3 and any problems with Sims 3 was more on the developmental side and had nothing to do with my specs. Sims 4 may run well being it does not have too many features to say how well it can run. as far some features being better I would hope it would be better for each version should be better that its predecessor if it can maintain most of the old features and the new features in which Sims 4 apparently do not, so I cannot say Sims 4 is not an revolutionary product that is on top of its game. I like the connection of the neighborhoods and the new building styles but for me too much was taken out just to have an satisfying experience which is different with each simmer and I will always look to Sims 2 and Sims 3 as far as being the ones that brought more to the table.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    NihmoNihmo Posts: 3 New Member
    The fact that my Sim (I'm a guy) and my gorgeous husband can have biological children without using any cheats. We now have six beautiful children together that I adore.
    I love the fact that we can use anything in CAS, including voices and walking animations. If you lower the tone of one of the female voices just right you can make it sound like the voice actress Yuki Kaida who mostly plays pretty, male characters. Fits my husband perfectly. So does that hip swaying style. When he walks by I can't help but go unnnnf dat a**! Lol! Because daaayumn can you give these Sims some nice bodies.
    Speaking of styles, I love the way the Sims look, move (both bodies and face animations), and sound. All the different voice options alone is amazing!
    How easily it is to change them in CAS, and as someone else mentioned, we can change all of them at the same time without having to make each Sims go to the mirror one by one.
    How freaking cool it looks when Vampires spar.
    I'm sure I can come up with lots more but I'll go with these for now.
  • Options
    KonekoFoxgloveKonekoFoxglove Posts: 50 Member
    The multitasking in general! Makes everything a lot more realistic. I love having Sims watch TV and talk while eating something.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,963 Member
    Let's get that out of the way: I love how easy it is to play rotationally in The Sims 4. The settings also allow to play with aging on only for the active households.
    I love how they improved the culling system. I can favourite households to keep them from culling and unfavourite households. You can set the limit, but I choose Unlimited as I always go over 200 (I'd like to choose 500).
    I also like how the dead are handled now. After sim dies, they will be automatically culled after 90 days. You can reset the timer, let them go or protect them by adding them to the household. Now, sims' pictures will be also saved in the family tree after they're culled, which gave me an idea to do 2 generations of ancestors to my sims.
    Get Together is a good pack. It gives me an option to create clubs that do unique things and it works well in the rotational play.
    Parenthood is an awesome game pack! Parenting will actually affect the child in the future. You can raise a well mannered child who sets the table, does the dishes and makes friends easily or bad mannered child who does gross things, doesn't do the dishes and unintentionally insults sims. I love how responsible and irresponsible sims react to work (responsible sims work hard and get good chance cards while irresposible sims take it easy, hate work and get bad chance cards).
    And child forms special relationships with parents, siblings and grandparents depending on their relationship and other factors. So if the parent punished the child a lot, it will literally say that the parent was strict. If the siblings used a lot of mean or mischief interactions, it will say they were rivals. Family members with positive relationships will become happy near each other while family members with negative relationships will become angry (which will always override the positive moodlet mentioned before). The family members also think about each other, which is a nice detail.
    Manage Household feature is awesome. I can edit sims at anytime I want. This and Change Sim interaction also allows me to change sims' body shape, facial details, voice and even gender. We can even add/remove household members in Manage Households through CAS. I like that when changing sim/outfit, you can change any sims' outfit and hairstyle. Also, the CAS is the best! My sims look more different than in The Sims 2.
    Build mode improvements are also awesome. Being able to change rooms without needing to add or remove walls is great. I also like that when on communtiy lots, we can go to the build mode at anytime we want (there are some exceptions). Also, ability to edit other sims' houses is also awesome, allowing me to make the neighborhood to look great without needing to change the household first.
    Toddlers are also better. And routing is also better than in The Sims 3. In The Sims 3, it was annoying to see that in order for sim to pick up the toddler they had to go outdoors from the living room that just had a baseball in the middle of the room.
    Finally, I love how much breed choices there are. Almost every breed has some recolors. When playing The Sims 3 again, I wasn't used to the fact that there weren't so much breed colors and customizing the breed was hard (It's as easy as Paint in The Sims 4).
    The Sims 4 has so many awesome features and the upcoming Seasons pack will bring more! Keep it up!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm a family player myself and I can totally relate to your thoughts and feelings concerning my Sims' needs. In The Sims 2 especially, caring for toddlers, while also trying to get closer to a promotion at work and trying to take part in various social activities, became too much to handle in multiple occasions. And there were many times when I felt underwhelmed and somewhat annoyed with the needs bar. I feel very differently when it comes to The Sims 4. As you said, I can enjoy many aspects of the game without focusing on their needs for a long period of time.

Other underestimated features that I honestly think they deserve more love:
    - We can make Aliens in CAS
    - Pregnancy: not different stages, but a gradual growth of the baby bump (and no maternity clothes, the FREEDOM!!!)
    - In Build Mode, expanding rooms or walls with just a quick dragging (and everything in the room goes along!)
    - Various recipes of food and more details in graphics when it comes to them
    - Traveling from world to world
    - All Sims can live in all worlds (you don't have to save them and stuff)
    - Favorite Households (the ability to exclude your Sims from the culling system)
    - Toddlers! (Far better than any other generation of The Sims)
    - The Emotion System makes the Sims look more realistic (the ones in TS3 looked like robots to me, sorry)
    - Switching between Aspirations without losing progress in any of them (a VERY useful feature)

All in all, I know that The Sims 4 has got various faults and I alternate between playing TS2, TS3 and TS4, but I love The Sims 4 for the good graphics and some options that we didn't have in the past. I can connect to my TS4 Sims more than what I felt for my TS3 ones. I'm very optimistic for the upcoming EP and I really liked the Cats and Dogs EP. (Yes, I love TS2 gameplay so much, too, no doubt there.) :D

@gothprincess4ever Toddlers are much better in this version than previous versions. I don't want to rush them off to childhood anymore. Speaking of children, I'm also a fan of the fact that children can play instruments again. That being said, I would enjoy more instruments in game, but all in due time.

The only instrument kids can't play is guitar -- I wouldn't mind a child-sized guitar in the game.

Sometimes I don't understand the players who say children are "boring" and "have nothing to do". They can play instruments, they can play on the playground equipment (looking forward to swings in Seasons!), they've got the art table and the chemistry set, etc. You don't even have to put all that stuff on the home lot -- I built an Arts & Science Center in Newcrest (on that 50x40 lot) and it has all the skillbuilding items, a small library and computer center, a fully built rocket ship and a toddler/child play center. I can take my family there and while the children entertain themselves, my Sim can go into space, use the telescope or microscope, play chess or just look at the paintings.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    The multi-tasking feature is great! It's so awesome to be able to work out and watch cooking channel at the same time. Saves a lot of time in the long run. I do not use cheats, mods, or even the Jasmine Holiday rewards, so my sims have to earn everything they achieve. So multi-tasking is a great feature for me.

I have a pretty high end gaming computer, but 4 runs so much better and more smoothly than 3 ever did, which is a huge plus!

Oh yes...and the ultra fast speed time while sleeping and working is a huge improvement over the Sims 3! I used to hate sitting there waiting for the sims to finish sleeping in 3...and, the longer the game when on, the slower the speed went as the game started to lag and be bogged down by numerous sims, tons of inventory, and spawning pets.

@ShaddBoi agreed, multitasking is wonderful! It's one of the reasons I struggle when returning to playing TS3 or TS2; I used to have to line up a bunch of different actions in the que in 2&3, but now most actions can be done simultaneously. I also often have my sims work out and watch the cooking channel as well!

Funny you say that...went back to playing Sims 3 last week to review the Seasons and what they looked like, and I was not used to not having multi tasking. The game felt so foreign after not playing it for so long. Still great game, but def like how Sims 4 is way more fluid. Some may argue that is because Sims 4 has way less content, but, thus far, it's working for me. Cannot wait for Seasons though!!

@ShaddBoi I definitely agree that TS4 is more fluid, and the only reason it has less content is because it hasn't been out long enough to accumulate everything TS3 had. People need to remember that there was a whole store's worth of content for that game, and almost no one could run that game effectively on their PC (I struggled a lot). TS3 was great fun, but I really don't miss it. TS2, for what it's worth, was my favorite iteration of the Sims until TS4.

Yes, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my sims 2 disks. I had them all but gave them away several years ago. That really was an awesome game!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that load screens really don't bother me in 4. I find them to be somewhat helpful since they tend to clear away any "sins" that may occur at the location, where, in sims 3, you would get objects stuck in the surrounding that you couldn't get rid of. Things like plates and even stuck Sims.

@ShaddBoi Load screens have never bothered me, and you're right. Often, if a glitch happens in my game, just visiting another lot and going back resets things. Couldn't do that in TS3; too much happening all at once. While I understand the appeal of an open world, people gotta be able to afford a system than can run something like that before you try making that the standard.

Absolutely agree.

Those stuck horses used to drive me crazy!!! They were everywhere and they totally bogged down the game!

@ShaddBoi Horses were the worst! Don't get me wrong, I loved them; would love to see a farming GP or something in this game with super large lots to accommodate such a thing, but that open world stuff I will never miss. My biggest peeve of TS3 was when I bought Island Paradise before I realized the whole world was bugged and unplayable. So frustrating.

I wouldn't mind seeing open neighborhoods where you don't get a loading screen to go to the park on the corner. I'm fine with loading screens between neighborhoods/worlds though. Where's the gameplay in watching a taxi drive down the street, let you out and your Sim runs uphill to get to their desination? Or driving down the road and you go into a rabbit hole for 8 hours to work?

With Sims 3, I had to use mods to make my game playable after losing way too many saves to corruption and bloat. Mods like NRaas Overwatch dealt with some of the issues, and Master Controller let me turn off annoying features (the memory system was a real bloat producer; how many times do you have to remember growing a perfect plant?). I do use mods but only to customize the game to play my own way. For example, MC Command Center brings a form of story progression -- at least you have Sims getting married and having kids (occasionally in that order) so you're not micromanaging that aspect of the world. (Reminds me I have to go into Manage Households and shift around a few.) It would be nice to have an actual Story Progression in Sims 4, if you can opt out your played households (or maybe any household if you add them to Favorite Households).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,694 Member
    My favourite underrated feature is that there is a full fledged bar at almost every location, making it super easy for my sims to get a quick snack if they're hungry. I never realised how much I love the Sims 4 bars until I went back to the Sims 3, my sim was hungry and at a bowling ally, but the bars there didn't serve food, only drinks, so I had to go somewhere else for a lil' snack.
  • Options
    I'm a family player myself and I can totally relate to your thoughts and feelings concerning my Sims' needs. In The Sims 2 especially, caring for toddlers, while also trying to get closer to a promotion at work and trying to take part in various social activities, became too much to handle in multiple occasions. And there were many times when I felt underwhelmed and somewhat annoyed with the needs bar. I feel very differently when it comes to The Sims 4. As you said, I can enjoy many aspects of the game without focusing on their needs for a long period of time.

Other underestimated features that I honestly think they deserve more love:
    - We can make Aliens in CAS
    - Pregnancy: not different stages, but a gradual growth of the baby bump (and no maternity clothes, the FREEDOM!!!)
    - In Build Mode, expanding rooms or walls with just a quick dragging (and everything in the room goes along!)
    - Various recipes of food and more details in graphics when it comes to them
    - Traveling from world to world
    - All Sims can live in all worlds (you don't have to save them and stuff)
    - Favorite Households (the ability to exclude your Sims from the culling system)
    - Toddlers! (Far better than any other generation of The Sims)
    - The Emotion System makes the Sims look more realistic (the ones in TS3 looked like robots to me, sorry)
    - Switching between Aspirations without losing progress in any of them (a VERY useful feature)

All in all, I know that The Sims 4 has got various faults and I alternate between playing TS2, TS3 and TS4, but I love The Sims 4 for the good graphics and some options that we didn't have in the past. I can connect to my TS4 Sims more than what I felt for my TS3 ones. I'm very optimistic for the upcoming EP and I really liked the Cats and Dogs EP. (Yes, I love TS2 gameplay so much, too, no doubt there.) :D

@gothprincess4ever Toddlers are much better in this version than previous versions. I don't want to rush them off to childhood anymore. Speaking of children, I'm also a fan of the fact that children can play instruments again. That being said, I would enjoy more instruments in game, but all in due time.

The only instrument kids can't play is guitar -- I wouldn't mind a child-sized guitar in the game.

Sometimes I don't understand the players who say children are "boring" and "have nothing to do". They can play instruments, they can play on the playground equipment (looking forward to swings in Seasons!), they've got the art table and the chemistry set, etc. You don't even have to put all that stuff on the home lot -- I built an Arts & Science Center in Newcrest (on that 50x40 lot) and it has all the skillbuilding items, a small library and computer center, a fully built rocket ship and a toddler/child play center. I can take my family there and while the children entertain themselves, my Sim can go into space, use the telescope or microscope, play chess or just look at the paintings.

@stilljustme2 I agree, I enjoy playing children! Sometimes I wish they could purchase the young again potion reward and stay children longer. And that community lot sounds like a wonderful place. Been thinking about adding something like it to my own save file.

Sims 4 Blog
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Just catching up on this thread, and it has me realizing how much about Sims 4 I now take for granted!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited June 2018
    I also like the labor in sims 4 how it last longer in the other games it does not last long at all so I
    think that it feels more real in sims 4 :)
    more for sim kids and more drama please