Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4's Underrated Features.

Comments

• Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I love the irresponsible trait that came with parenthood, the pop up messages that happen when an irresponsible sim is at work are hilarious, no good if you want a sim to do well at work but great if you want to change it up a bit.
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I love the irresponsible trait that came with parenthood, the pop up messages that happen when an irresponsible sim is at work are hilarious, no good if you want a sim to do well at work but great if you want to change it up a bit.

@brackencat31 I have not yet had the joy of experiencing this, but I look forward to it. lol
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I love the option to save my sims to my library at any level of progress. I can then pop them into another save game (or even in the same save game) in CAS with their career at the same level and skills/traits intact... or I can change the way they look and their name/major traits in CAS and just carry on without doing all that "work" again.
    It's a great way for me to make caterers or musicians for "hiring" without having to do it all over again.. or cheat in skills. I guess I don't consider in game tools cheats so it doesn't bug me.
    I do have a bug that shows up with this though in that when I change traits they seem to have some residue of the old ones left over. I know there is a cheat to clean it but I don't usually bother with that. I just use sims with traits that won't bother me.

@Hermitgirl That is a brilliant way of using the game. I've noticed that some residue of traits does linger if you change them in CAS. Happens a lot when I steal a townie I like, but don't really enjoy their traits.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2018
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    3KNPen wrote: »
    -The ability to click a button and have a sim Auto Solve their low needs themselves. Yeah sometimes they make questionable choices like cake or a free meal when there are better choices in the fridge or to nap instead of sleeping but it gives them personalities for their choices in life.

-That we can have multiple outfits per category. And that other sims do not laugh or freak out when you're wearing an outfit from the "wrong" category in a situation so you can use other clothing categories for extra options. Also the fact that sims will randomly choose to dress in an outfit from the everyday outfit after taking a shower. I love seeing their choices and if they develop favorites (they often do!)

-That there are a lot of little details that I'm still discovering. Like recently I discovered if you put a mirror next to a bed sims will sit on the bed when directed to do interactions with the mirror.

-The Splicing gardening system to get different plants. I don't garden much but I think that it's cool that it's set up that way!

I did not know about the bed/mirror thing. I need to check that out!

I was quite surprised when I had a sim do that. It was a lazy sim that did it so I don't know if it's just a lazy sim thing because I haven't tested it with another sim but even so it's nice small touch. The room was also pretty small so like it was wall, one tile, then bed with a floor length mirror on the wall.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    -The ability to click a button and have a sim Auto Solve their low needs themselves. Yeah sometimes they make questionable choices like cake or a free meal when there are better choices in the fridge or to nap instead of sleeping but it gives them personalities for their choices in life.

-That we can have multiple outfits per category. And that other sims do not laugh or freak out when you're wearing an outfit from the "wrong" category in a situation so you can use other clothing categories for extra options. Also the fact that sims will randomly choose to dress in an outfit from the everyday outfit after taking a shower. I love seeing their choices and if they develop favorites (they often do!)

-That there are a lot of little details that I'm still discovering. Like recently I discovered if you put a mirror next to a bed sims will sit on the bed when directed to do interactions with the mirror.

-The Splicing gardening system to get different plants. I don't garden much but I think that it's cool that it's set up that way!

I did not know about the bed/mirror thing. I need to check that out!

I was quite surprised when I had a sim do that. It was a lazy sim that did it so I don't know if it's just a lazy sim thing because I haven't tested it with another sim but even so it's nice small touch. The room was also pretty small so like it was wall, one tile, then bed with a floor length mirror on the wall.

Indeed it worked! Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I love the Gallery! If I'm in the middle of playing the game....I like that I don't have to quit the game to go look at other Simmer's creations. I can go straight to the Gallery & download anything I'm looking for into my game in a matter of seconds.

I would also say the graphics...I think these are best looking Sims compared to previous iterations.

I think I enjoy TS4 toddlers the best. I like that they have their own bed versus a crib & can do more stuff.

Pet breeds would be another....I think this is the only version of the Sims to have so many breeds that I've been looking & you can easily mix breeds in CAP.

I really like the multitasking aspect. My Sim can eat dinner, watch TV & socialize with someone....raising hunger, social & fun all at the same time. Though with that said....I think Sims are way too social & it can take forever for them to finish a meal....but nonetheless....I really like the multitasking aspect of the game.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,625 Member
    I love the Gallery! If I'm in the middle of playing the game....I like that I don't have to quit the game to go look at other Simmer's creations. I can go straight to the Gallery & download anything I'm looking for into my game in a matter of seconds.
    I was just gonna say the gallery! It's great to think that you can plop something new into your game if you fancy a change, and if you don't like what you've chosen after having a look around it, you can just plop something else there instead. Awesome feature.

And, like someone else mentioned, being able to move rooms or houses around by picking them up and repositioning.

One little feature I love, being a family player, is being able to read a story to toddlers/kids and pick how many you want to read to. And having some of them sit by your sim on the sofa and/or some of them sit around on the floor to listen.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2018
    Besides the rotational play, just fact that it is just so easy to travel from world to world and have your sim live or just there is one of the best features of Sims 2. The loading time isn't that bad (nothing like it was for Sims 3 to start up and without mods if you have a lot of packs, you couldn't choose to have your sims move anywhere and the few places you can move or travel to, the loading time is even longer. That is the least of Sims 3 problems!).

I like can have my sims start of in a desert town and then move to the city or some other town.

I also like the multitasking as well. Like a group having a conversion or talking to a sim while doing something else or having drinks with meals, etc....makes it feel more lively and doesn't take as long to do even some of the simplest tasks.
  • Options
    I'm a family player myself and I can totally relate to your thoughts and feelings concerning my Sims' needs. In The Sims 2 especially, caring for toddlers, while also trying to get closer to a promotion at work and trying to take part in various social activities, became too much to handle in multiple occasions. And there were many times when I felt underwhelmed and somewhat annoyed with the needs bar. I feel very differently when it comes to The Sims 4. As you said, I can enjoy many aspects of the game without focusing on their needs for a long period of time.

Other underestimated features that I honestly think they deserve more love:
    - We can make Aliens in CAS
    - Pregnancy: not different stages, but a gradual growth of the baby bump (and no maternity clothes, the FREEDOM!!!)
    - In Build Mode, expanding rooms or walls with just a quick dragging (and everything in the room goes along!)
    - Various recipes of food and more details in graphics when it comes to them
    - Traveling from world to world
    - All Sims can live in all worlds (you don't have to save them and stuff)
    - Favorite Households (the ability to exclude your Sims from the culling system)
    - Toddlers! (Far better than any other generation of The Sims)
    - The Emotion System makes the Sims look more realistic (the ones in TS3 looked like robots to me, sorry)
    - Switching between Aspirations without losing progress in any of them (a VERY useful feature)

All in all, I know that The Sims 4 has got various faults and I alternate between playing TS2, TS3 and TS4, but I love The Sims 4 for the good graphics and some options that we didn't have in the past. I can connect to my TS4 Sims more than what I felt for my TS3 ones. I'm very optimistic for the upcoming EP and I really liked the Cats and Dogs EP. (Yes, I love TS2 gameplay so much, too, no doubt there.) :D

I felt the same way with Sims 3 sims. They really do seem robotic and all that when compared to Sims 2 and 4. I also didn't like how they looked. The only good things for me about Sims 3 was the story progression and some of the concepts/ideas behind some backs. The execution and how it all ran, looked, etc...was just awful in my opinion. Even in Sims 2 the snow looked better (not talking about low graphics; but just texture alone). I like the cartoony look and how crazy things can get in the game at times, it always what made sims what it is to me.

I feel that people should pay attention to how the sims actually behave and act in Sims 4, especially with packs installed, as I think a lot of things are overlooked. Sims who are angry stomp around, slam doors, more likely to yell and be mean or wish to do so, kick the trash can, etc....

Embarrassed sims will hide when taking a bath or anywhere or just move sort of awkwardly as they seem so uncomfortable.

Sad sims cry, walk around all mopy, etc....

Sims who are playful love making jokes, doing silly faces.

Even when watching movies it is cute. A couple was cuddling on their own during the movie. During a sad movie sims cry, funny movies they laugh, they shush talking sims, or if they have popcorn and watching a scary movie, they jump and looks like some popcorn sims (don't stay of the floor though).

When jealous, depending on the relationship will cry or get angry. I had a couple that was about to get married but I wanted to wait until Season but accidentally clicked elope so I called off the wedding-the guy was angry for days while the girl was happy (it said she dodged the bullet) and their whole relationship as a couple ended as well as their friendship dropped and basically had to work at it again. That is actually realistic.

When there is a fire, most run out panicking and all that while some will go put it out on their own. They will feel confident while others are tense.

Big events and emotions can last a few sim days which is good enough. At some point it gets too long and annoying.

funny thing ever was one night my sim was sleep, Vlad broke into her apartment, creeped up to her bed, woke her up with his power to drink her plasma and then left as if nothing happened as she pasted out from being drained. xD

While not perfect and can use some fine tuning; I don't understand how people say sims aren't aware of things around or are shallow as they do react and have different emotions, especially if you have it set on full autonomy (maybe that is the problem? People turned it off? You do that, you are going that to force them do everything, it always been like that though).

Overtime, some packs, expansions, etc...been adding new things and some patches have improved or changed other stuff (like how often they get sick now if you have Get to Work). People always say it isn't possible to including some things but I disagree. Maybe not at the time some things were possible but they said they improved on some technology and it often comes down to when they should add things in and whether it would fit in or not or if they have the time and money. A few times they denied things that do end up in the game as to not ruin everything. I noticed each new world gets more and more detailed. Brindleton Bay is my favorite now. It really feels like a coastal town. Can hear the ocean and see the waves roll by, the sandy shoreline, docks, seagulls. Maybe they are hinting at something but don't want to say much yet? Since Parenthood I have been seeing hints for beaches (volunteer to clean beaches up) and Cats and Dogs strongly hinted at Seasons.

That is why I tell people to wait until Expansions are out before hating on them as we often don't everything and sometimes they do make some changes either before release date or with patches.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I love these features, though aside from the ease to bounce a build around with the gallery when I need a better lot and of course I like multitasking. I like to choose their maternity and keep a pregnant woman working if I want. Also as someone else said I love their expressions, part of why I ended up with so many screenshots and still share them sometimes even if they've been used..just not everywhere to avoid spam.
    37966459895_20ce533269_b.jpg
    After her fiancee died.
    34990420596_6764586919_b.jpg
    I believe his brother..who he hated was late.
    34032785523_0713c8ff58_b.jpg
    Never let a tot witness you rejecting a hug, instant enemy...they did not get along well.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The CAS clothes included in the game look good. I find myself removing CC all the time because I don’t use it.
  • Options
    Speaking of emotions, I noticed some interesting things. I have a romantic sims who has the serial romantic aspiration (it originally part the the generate random trait site and challenge. You roll the dice and use what they tell you for the sim). So she is feeling flirty and got a wish to kiss a sim. So had her build up a relationship with this one sim so it be high enough to kiss him. She gave him a rose; but she was looking at another instead sim in a flirty as she did that! I should of taken a pic. XD

Also I have to agree how easy and nice Build and CAS is. I tried Sims 3 once again recently and it made me much more appreciative of Sims for. couldn't layer clothing (like no separate hats, etc...), took hours for one sim and not in the fun way, the having to wait for ever to load and do anything way. Could never build without crashing and seems to take forever to save a game (longer then I remembered). It is quick to load a new game and starts off well and can play for a few hours, it is when trying to load a save that is a nightmare.

I don't miss Sims 3 as nearly as much as I miss Sims 2. Even more confined to a single lot and yard, it still was more fun and stable until I switched to windows 10. :c I am happy Santa is coming back (lol just hope he is a little less annoying then Santa in Sims 2. He always used the bathroom constantly. Not sure if it was a game bug or just the fact he had too much milk and cookies).

See people, Sims 3 doesn't always have everything Sims 2 had, Sims 2 doesn't have things Sims 3 and Sims 4 has, etc...they are all different and each has their sets of pros and cons. It is a matter of preference .

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,212 Member
    This is an unpopular opinion, but even if I'm the only one, I'm glad about the gender patch - not for the obvious reasons, at least not mainly, but because while playing TS2 I always wondered why so many pieces of clothing could only be worn by one gender, even though they looked perfectly fine on the other, too. It was the same with hairstyles, sometimes I wanted a female sim to wear her hair in a specific way that was only available to males, or vice versa, so I had to download lots of CC to make it work. Gosh, that was annoying! Luckily, those times are over, and now, if I feel like putting a man in a dress for whatever reason, I can just do it - my drag comedian certainly loves it!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @XxAirixX those little side looks are always funny, whether another sim is getting it or when you have the camera just right and it's like the sim is staring at you judging you for how the game is going. I had santa stuck in my bathroom in one save, that might be a bug but he left eventually and the game continued working so I let it go..it is kind of funny. I also play ts2 on windows 10 someone who is much better with tech than I am in the ts2 section might be able to help you if you can tell them what's going wrong with it.

Edit now that I think about it I got my game working with a fix I found, had to force it to run in windowed mode, and I was able to change the resolution in game after last time but this time I left windowed.

@GrumpyGlowfish Actually I like that too, especially for the freedom with hair choices I like a guy with long hair..lol.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    @XxAirixX those little side looks are always funny, whether another sim is getting it or when you have the camera just right and it's like the sim is staring at you judging you for how the game is going. I had santa stuck in my bathroom in one save, that might be a bug but he left eventually and the game continued working so I let it go..it is kind of funny. I also play ts2 on windows 10 someone who is much better with tech than I am in the ts2 section might be able to help you if you can tell them what's going wrong with it.

Thanks. I should check out the Sims 2 section. It seems to be a capability issue with the graphics or software as every time my sim leaves the lot and goes to one that is full of sims or throws a party it lags. It can take a literal hour or more just for them to move or do anything as it is like super slow motion. At home and with no other sims or with loading time, it seems to be fine. I used to have Windows 7 and never had an issue and computer I have now is much better overall, so that is why I think is more of a capability issue.

LOL yes, it is those subtle looks sims give that makes it hilarious.
  • Options
    This is an unpopular opinion, but even if I'm the only one, I'm glad about the gender patch - not for the obvious reasons, at least not mainly, but because while playing TS2 I always wondered why so many pieces of clothing could only be worn by one gender, even though they looked perfectly fine on the other, too. It was the same with hairstyles, sometimes I wanted a female sim to wear her hair in a specific way that was only available to males, or vice versa, so I had to download lots of CC to make it work. Gosh, that was annoying! Luckily, those times are over, and now, if I feel like putting a man in a dress for whatever reason, I can just do it - my drag comedian certainly loves it!

I have mixed feelings with it. One had it gives us more freedom, on the other had, some tops on male sims that are originally made for female sims makes them look as they breast. LOL never use the set clothing option for clubs unless you actually go in CAS and edit the style yourself as the outfits they will show up in can get down right ridiculous now.
  • Options
    Sure thing, it's a possibility but aside from what I've tried I don't just rely on what I see can never be sure but if you wanted to play again more smoothly there might be a good fix for you someone has thought of.

Though not meaning to shift the focus of the thread...the tablet the tots have with the independent trait can really make it easy to raise them since they can go potty on their own you don't have to focus on them so much. Though I often love to because these are the best tots in the series to me.
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    CAS in TS4 is great when you look at possibilities it give while creating a Sim, but I also love how it's organized: that in one loading screen I have acces to the whole family, I can change every one of them, including make up and hats (which go with every hairstyle!). And of course that we have not only the categories, but also subcategories. It makes things so much easier and more pleasant in my opinion.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,989 Member
    Keep in mind, I play rotation soap-opera style. I love these underrated features:

I love how the Cow Plant came with Base Game. I would have paid for it in a stuff pack, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

The cloning machine in Get to Work opens up a lot of stories.

The jealousy trait is very, very strong.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    Keep in mind, I play rotation soap-opera style. I love these underrated features:

I love how the Cow Plant came with Base Game. I would have paid for it in a stuff pack, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

The cloning machine in Get to Work opens up a lot of stories.

The jealousy trait is very, very strong.

yes the cow plant in base game is really nice
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    There was no way for me to play TS2 without testingcheats to drag the bars up. I kind of miss being able to do that but it's easy to cheat them up (the dragging-way was easier though). But I agree, it's much more playable without cheats and I rarely have to max motives. There are however many cheats from TS2 that I wish were available in TS4.
  • Options
    KaiKai Posts: 132 Member
    edited June 2018
    I find it incredibly easier to build in ts4 period! The UI is cleaner and prettier and everything seems a lot simpler in 4.

Build/Buy was a huge improvement overall!! And I’m a sucker for a clean and crisps UI and graphics.
    img
  • Options
    LishacakeLishacake Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2018
    I like how families/couples will often visit restaurants and other venues together. I also like how random sims will also go places together.

My sim's ex girlfriend's marriage broke down because of her emotionally unstable trait that she gained after a difficult adolescence. My sim then went out for a meal and saw her on a date with another guy. The guy was already married, (which was kinda hypocritical because the ex's marriage ended because her husband cheated on her) and it wasn't going well because he got berated all meal and left very quickly. It just adds flavour to my sims.

I also like clubs. The same sim of mine encountered a sim at the gym who was quite overweight. Both of them were geeks, but the chubby sim (Arvid) tended to use the gym's computers rather than the exercise machines. My sim's fitness was high enough where he could mentor Arvid, and they ended up becoming best friends and forming a fitness club. Most of the members are adults now, so they meet up now and again to work out and talk about work/family before being slightly cheeky and having an after-workout meal at the local pizza place. Arvid is very fit now and he autonomously works out/goes to the gym even when there's no club meeting compelling him to be there. So, sim behaviour does change depending on what you make them do.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    the dog needing to be walked you could walk dogs before but they never needed it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    the dog needing to be walked you could walk dogs before but they never needed it

They didn't? I'm sorry, although all my sims have dogs now, I hated them ever so slightly in TS2 & haven't really played them much in 3 :D