Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most suitable world for a farmer

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018
    France sounds interesting, but I’d need a mod for that I think? Or is that mod in fact Traveler and could he live there?
    @thuggishsplicer No, my mind is far from made up ;) He is going to live in Lucky Palms for a while, but that’s probably not where he’s going to settle down to do the farming, since clearly nobody is advocating that and the alternatives sound great to me. So far RV, AP and France are at the top of the list for me (if it will be possible to actually live over there, which also means his eventual kids must be able to go to school there), but I’m still very open for other views and ideas. Like LL also has me hm hm, yeah, that in fact might be interesting too! I had a storyline there a few generations ago and it actually could be nice to go back there with the descendant of the sims who had an adventure there. It’s not that I have to decide tomorrow, he’s still a kid in my game.

ETA: and I haven’t had time to check out the custom worlds yet by the way!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited April 2018
    Other (‘how could you forget that one!’), because...
    I had a lot of fun playing as a farmer/nectar maker in Monte Vista. It's a beautiful world with a great rustic vibe. It felt so peaceful. There are several big lots with plenty of space.

My runner up would be Appaloosa Plains. I've played as a farmer/rancher there and had a ton of fun. Like Monte Vista, it really lends itself to a rural lifestyle, just in a "New World" way vs an "Old World" one.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    When I think of Riverview, in addition to being a nice place to live despite it being winter most of the time, I think of shopping malls, huge bowling alley arcades, all night dance clubs, and the infusion of science research and observatory lots staffed by the infusion of geniuses having graduated Uni and their families that drove all of that development...gee, I guess not everyone's Riverviews have evolved the way mine did. ;)

Oasis Landing - Just because I felt like throwing in something silly here. Not sure the locals would even know what to do with real food that didn't come out of a synthesizer, but the science community would be thrilled to have something new (to them) to do gene splicing experiments on and you could confuse the local economy by flooding the market with the fresh grown stuff. Or you could concentrate on crystal plants.

Isla Paradiso or Sunlit Tides - For the climate, use NRaas Tempest to disallow the two colder seasons (fall and winter) so you can grow and harvest outdoors year round. And then they can grow coffee beans and tropical fruits with no feelings of guilt over whether those should really even be possible in such a place.

My serious suggestions would be Hidden Springs or Twinbrook, but those are never going to "win" so I'll stick with the more frivolous ones. I also like the idea of Lunar Lakes, though. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    Oasis Landing - Just because I felt like throwing in something silly here. Not sure the locals would even know what to do with real food that didn't come out of a synthesizer, but the science community would be thrilled to have something new (to them) to do gene splicing experiments on and you could confuse the local economy by flooding the market with the fresh grown stuff. Or you could concentrate on crystal plants.
    That, in fact, is a brilliant idea I really like!

(do you have an answer to the France idea by the way?; does Traveler enable you to make your sim stay there permanently or would I need another mod for that?)

(sorry, no IP, for the same reason as MV and DV: he's actually growing up there right now ;))

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (do you have an answer to the France idea by the way?; does Traveler enable you to make your sim stay there permanently or would I need another mod for that?)
    I believe you can do that with the WA worlds if your sim obtains (or you cheat them) a high enough visa level so they can purchase a vacation home suitable for farming and move into it first, away from the Base Camp -- then it should be Traveler's Change Hometown procedure like any other. But I wouldn't think that these worlds would be very satisfying to play as homeworlds unless you add a school and some career opportunities like rabbit holes or just something beyond nectaries, the central marketplace, and the usual sites they wander around for no real reason at least for the local population.

What I might consider are some very long extended vacations to run a farm there, possibly using Traveler to switch off the vacation timers so that your sim can stay as long as they like and maybe return home in between planting seasons. Or maybe a custom homeworld that has a Champs Les Sims feel to it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I had a farmer in Dragon Valley and I enjoyed it very much as I like the mystique of the world.

Lucky Palms has large enough lots, but the terrain is mostly desert. Probably fixable if you can take it into CAW and adjust some surrounding terrain near the lot you would want to build on, or just change the terrain on the lot you pick and ignore the surroundings. :)

I love Roaring Heights and there are some lots outside of the 'city' that you could turn into a farm. It would be more believable the LP with the desert terrain.

Good luck. Lots of awesome suggestions already. :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    Sorry, I didn't notice your comment earlier. As @igazor stated, I was thinking of just visiting France enough to get the visa level up to buy a vacation home there or being able to tweak the traveler mod that you already have. Adding a school is easy enough, but Master Controller would be helpful to get all the school age sims enrolled. With Lunar Lakes rabbit holes, it's easy to add your own in small spaces and design them to look just the way you want them.

It'll be interesting to see which route you end up taking. Lunar Lakes sounds interesting too.
  • Options
    ElanoreAlexandriaElanoreAlexandria Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2018
    Appaloosa Plains, because...
    Nevermind
    Post edited by ElanoreAlexandria on
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Appaloosa Plains, because...
    I chose mine because it reminds me the most of the place I grew up where my parents had a farm. But I was torn between that and Roaring Heights. But AP has a better vibe I think for a farming life style.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    edited April 2018
    Riverview, because...
    One of my generations is going back to the "roots" so to speak. And they're already in Riverview so...well...my vote's on Riverview.

Screenshot-95.jpg

Right now, they're green-house gardening...and stockpiling "perfect" vegetables and fruits (I'd say about 500 perfect vegetables and fruits of each type)...and then one of the generations will go full-on into farming for a living. Just trying to see if it will be Generation Three or Four.

I'll have to buy this: https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:70462 but at least that will help with gardening on a farm. - The Grandpa's Grove Tractor :)

The area is prime for farming.

The other EA world is Appaloosa Plains (it can be for animals as well as for growing crops).
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    But How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm After They've Seen Champs de Sims? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2URLyxcdpgA
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My response before reading through was Monte Vista because it has room for some large lots and has that lovely Tuscan feel, but I see you have been playing it recently.

My other recommendation is Moonlight Falls. I'll cordially disagree with what another poster said, as there is at least one property that is quite farm-y, with a windmill and everything. And of course you can disable lunar phases to avoid zombies (which are pestilential for a gardener. Did you know they can climb a firehouse pole? I didn't, until they ate all the plants on my second story porch)!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    It will indeed be a choice between a typical agricultural area like AP or the complete opposite: a world where his farm will be an exception and something special. I can see both working in a great way, it's almost a pity I can't have both and I have no idea yet what I will choose. Most happy about creating this topic, because you all got me thinking in different directions. I played very briefly in AP once by the way (just an on the side visit) and I did love that world.

Not sure about France as an option then, because indeed there are some essential features lacking there. I also wonder if it's even possible to get babies there, or toddlers. A France like custom world would be the better options then I think.

I'll sure share what I've chosen in the end but that may take a while ;) I'm really looking forward to it, I'll have to watch out to not get too impatient and start rushing his mom's life, who still has some tomb exploring to do (LTW) and I'm looking forward to his straying as well. There was a time I rushed through the generations (you tend to do that when new content is constantly added), but I love it I can take my time now.

Thanks <3 !

ETA: lol igazor :D And I do have the farm and the tractor Nikkei_Simmer! And the jam making station thing (what's it called), I think / hope things like that can add to the fun.
    (lol, no, I didn't know zombies can climb a firehouse pole; got full moon disabled though)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Lucky Palms, because...
    Why wouldn't Lucky Palms be suitable for farming? :(

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't Lucky Palms be suitable for farming? :(
    Well... it doesn't seem to be a world with the most fertile land ;) On the other hand, that could in fact be the challenge. And when I google I find also Arizona has agriculture (that's what I always associate LP with).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    Riverview, because...
    igazor wrote: »
    But How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm After They've Seen Champs de Sims? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2URLyxcdpgA

Ah...what a film that was (For Me and My Gal), Always loved Judy Garland.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Riverview, because...
    Riverview, although Appaloosa Plains and Monte Vista would be great too!

Several people have mentioned Champs Les Sims. I have played a gardening and nectar-making household in Riverview, which I made over to look a little like Champs Les Sims:

54wqh1.jpg

264gktl.jpg

in8nf5.jpg

This is the house my sims lived in - it was copied from Champs Les Sims and placed onto an empty lot by the river.

2mnf4gg.jpg
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I just stumbled on this picture of Meadow Glen v2 I took a few years ago. You can see the farmland area in the foreground and right side. City center is across the river. I thought the farmland area was well done. I didn't have any major problems with this world.

7S1tN7m.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    @PalmArrow I love how stunning that old (free) world still looks today, beautiful pictures!

@TreyNutz That looks awesome! How does installing a custom world work by the way? In which folder do I put it, just simply Worlds or does it go into the Mods folder?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    That looks awesome! How does installing a custom world work by the way? In which folder do I put it, just simply Worlds or does it go into the Mods folder?

The CC worlds I've installed are always provided as a sim3pack file and I install them through the Launcher. The Meadow Glen page is here. If you decide to use v2 of this world you'll need to replace the hospital and school lots. Scroll down the linked page for replacements. I added most of the other suggested lots as well. I haven't installed or looked at at the latest version (v4) of Meadow Glen yet; you may want to start with that one.

Also, I thought Plum Grove had a nice farming feel as well, and plenty of large lots. I haven't played in it though, just installed it and looked around. It's on my short list of CC worlds to play someday.

Winchester Farming Community might be worth a look. I remember installing and looking at that world but it wasn't what I needed at the time. I don't remember why though, lol.
  • Options
    Thanks @TreyNutz , also for the links! I think I may have a preference for the third one in fact. Maybe it’s the dirt roads, I love them. Why do the school lot and the hospital have to be replaced..? Because of the rabbitholes in the basement?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Thanks @TreyNutz , also for the links! I think I may have a preference for the third one in fact. Maybe it’s the dirt roads, I love them. Why do the school lot and the hospital have to be replaced..? Because of the rabbitholes in the basement?

The originals (only in Meadow Glen) apparently had some routing issues.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Riverview, because...
    TreyNutz wrote: »

I played a game in Meadow Glen Updated several years ago. The school/sports stadium problem in that version was not a problem of the world but was EA's glitch with combo lots. A sports professional never won any games. One of the NRaas mods fixes that problem now. I think it is Overwatch or StoryProgression. I didn't run into any problem with the hospital but I only played that one game in that world so there might have been a routing issue too.
  • Options
    cwaddell wrote: »
    TreyNutz wrote: »

I played a game in Meadow Glen Updated several years ago. The school/sports stadium problem in that version was not a problem of the world but was EA's glitch with combo lots. A sports professional never won any games. One of the NRaas mods fixes that problem now. I think it is Overwatch or StoryProgression. I didn't run into any problem with the hospital but I only played that one game in that world so there might have been a routing issue too.

I was going by the comments on the world download page. I ended up altering the hedge fence on the school/stadium lot to create a path from the parking lot to the front doors. I don't know what the issue with the hospital was specifically. The creator just mentioned some sims were having trouble accessing the lot. Replacing the lot with the provided version was simple enough.
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Riverview, because...
    Riverview, because it's created around farming! You already have the billowing fields and lots of free space to create a farm! Second comes Appaloosa plains, but I think it's it's more suitable for cattle and horses...
    NymlADp.jpg