Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Sims and Friends: Share Your Stories!!

Comments

• Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Pheeeeeeeew... I've had... a day. Let's just leave it at that.

@SilentWolf101 : I found the castle I'll be using in an upcoming story on ModTheSims . I like that site because you can set what EPs/SPs you have installed in your profile, and then filter the search results by just those that match what you have installed, and I find that in general, the lots there tend to be cc-free.

@ValoisFulcanelli : I am tempted to give building that tower a try, and have the instructions open on another tab... though the last time I tried following a build tutorial (making a bridge following a YouTube video) I failed miserably, heh.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Oh hey @RosemaryMariee I know your avatar from twitter and wordpress :) welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    RosemaryMarieeRosemaryMariee Posts: 223 Member
    Hi @Julyvee94 :) Thank you so much!

gen8-banner-landscape.png

Join the heirs as they tell their stories through diary entries in Noble Doubt!
    TS3/TS4/Origin ID: RosemaryMarie

• Options
    RebornMonsterRebornMonster Posts: 552 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hey guys,
    Just popping in to say, I finally finished the Brownstone Build that I was working on - if you're interested still @mastressalita , it's completely mod and ccfree, fully furnished, and ready to go. I've got a tour video up on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EW7XudvhFs

Sims Exchange Download:

Regular Lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8938689

Apartment Lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8938690

MediaFire Download:

Regular Lot: https://www.mediafire.com/?3ja7zc50347gna4

Apartment Lot: https://www.mediafire.com/?3ja7zc50347gna4
    Post edited by RebornMonster on
    Gen1Banner.png
  • Options
    KitronicsKitronics Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello everyone.

I've been a sims 3 player for a long time, but never did much with the community aspects of it so was wondering if anyone out there would like to be friends for the Simport stuff?
  • Options
    @RebornMonster : As soon as I get home from work, I'm going to watch that tour video! So excited! Thank you so much!

(Yet one more reason to add to the list of reasons of why I should really try to get my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 back to Yandere Diaries sooner rather than later...)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
  • Options
    Kitronics wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I've been a sims 3 player for a long time, but never did much with the community aspects of it so was wondering if anyone out there would like to be friends for the Simport stuff?

Hi, @Kitronics It's nice to meet you! I don't simport but I wanted to say hi anyway. :)

• Options
    @RebornMonster That looks great! :smiley:

• Options
    SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    edited July 2016
    @RosemaryMariee Thank you. :D
    @mastressalita The one I was going to use was from MTS, but it didn't quite have a "fence" around it, and it took too much space for me to actually add a fence.

EDIT: I think I've found a castle. :) AND, it has quite a wall around it that would definitely work as a fence of sorts with some minor modifications to the main layout.
    Post edited by SilentWolf101 on
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • Options
    Hello! I hope you're all enjoying your weekend! :)

Chapter 2.1 has been published on Noble Doubt. I hope you enjoy it.

146679368266181_zpsaai7jriy.jpg

• Options
    ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hello, lovely people. Hope you're all having a relaxing weekend :)

@mastressalita If you do have a go at the tower, I want to see the results! (Or at least get a progress report - lol!) I always try to make my tutorials as easy-to-follow as possible, so any feedback that you have regarding this one would be welcomed.

@RebornMonster That Brownstone looks amazing. You've got some fabulous little touches in there, and some very ingenious work to make 'new things' from the same old stuff that we all have in our games. I think my favourite bit was the 'desk' in Unit 2's kitchen, where you'd placed two of the bathroom cabinets on the island counters with one of the bookshelves in between. That really caught my eye because it was absolute genius!

If anyone missed that in the video, I took a still shot of it (which is a bit blurry, due to the fact that you were panning past it). I just wanted to highlight how ingenious that little bit was:

stillshot.JPG

@Kitronics Hello, and welcome to the thread! I was pondering Simport myself the other day, and wondering if anyone still used it. I thought about using it for some of my Sims, but I use so much CC that they'd look nothing like they're supposed to when they get to the other end (not to mention that I'm unsure as to whether Simport even works anymore). Plus I'm rather proprietary about my rockstar Sims, so I wouldn't send them anywhere else :mrgreen:

@everyone I have a new chapter of Ocean Wild out today. Click here to read, and here's a short excerpt:
    “Morning, sweetie.” Sebastian’s mother smiled at him as he opened the fridge door the next morning. “You’ve stayed up late today.”

“I’m up early, you mean,” he replied, taking out some butter. He shoved two slices of bread into the toaster and checked his phone while he waited.

There was a moment of surprised silence in the kitchen. Then: “Oh, you’ve been to bed already?”

“Sure.” Two minutes later the toast popped up and Sebastian began to butter it. “About one o'clock this morning.”

“Ahh, right.” His mum started setting the table. “Is that all you’re having, or will you be staying for breakfast?” she asked.

Gesturing with his toast while munching on it, Sebastian indicated that this was all he wanted.

“I guess you’re off to see your friend today?”
    Aaaaand I've done That Thing again. That thing where I start building something new and before I know it I have new Sims to fill it, and a whole new AU to roll around in. I'm getting rather a reputation for doing that. *cough*

I was building an historical throne room, so I wanted a King to put in it. And, naturally, my version of Gunther Goth fitted the bill perfectly, with some hair and clothing edits. And, if Gunther's involved, then Valois won't be far behind, but this time the roles are reversed and Valois is a peasant.

You can see the first screenshots and intro (which is just a few lines of dialogue) here. Click each pic to see them full size.

And here are a few edited versions of His Royal Hotness :mrgreen:

king_gunther_smaller01.jpg

king_gunther_smaller02.jpg

With his faithful Irish Wolfhound, Gellert:

king_gunther_smaller03.jpg
    Post edited by ValoisFulcanelli on
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    @ValoisFulcanelli Ohhhh, that look totally suits Gunther! :D He looks amazing!
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @SilentWolf101 I've had him as a knight before, but he really does suit being a king! I was using some of Cocomama's TSM conversions for clothing, but so many of those are really bulky and they don't respond to body morphs. I managed to find a few that suited Gunther's more slender frame, so he has three kingly outfits now ;)
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    @SilentWolf101 I've had him as a knight before, but he really does suit being a king! I was using some of Cocomama's TSM conversions for clothing, but so many of those are really bulky and they don't respond to body morphs. I managed to find a few that suited Gunther's more slender frame, so he has three kingly outfits now ;)

Thank goodness you found them -- they look amazing on him! :) I'd love to see more of this story. :3
  • Options
    @RebornMonster : I finally had the chance to sit down and watch through the build video! Outstanding! I'm curious how apartment markers work? Is it possible, using them, to make certain units playable and others available to other households? Or, if you use them, are they only available to the "Late Night" "non-resident" style townies and you have no control over who moves into them? (I'm assuming that would be the case, and I couldn't say, move two households of my choice into two "marked" units and leave two units to put my "playable" household into...) Am I making any sense? I'm derpy and not quite sure how it works, heh. I'm betting the easiest thing is to put everyone into my playable household, but I fear having to babysit so many Sims, too. ^_^;;; (Cause we all know how well they get on left to their own devices...)

Also, since I couldn't find any option on your Tumblr to comment...
    The first floor has an eat in kitchen, some utility space, a small study/office nook, and a “formal” living room. I don’t know if it’s very common, but a couple of my friends had “formal” rooms that nobody was allowed to use except when guests were over - and I always thought it was kinda neat when I was little - so I gave this apartment one of those ridiculous spaces.

My grandparent's house totally has a dining room that is like that! They had a "normal" dining room off the kitchen with a small round table they used for everything, but if there was a "big family meal" (like, say, a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, something my grandma deemed an "event") they used this different "formal" dining room! Ah, that brings back so many childhood memories. It hasn't been used at all since my grandfather died and my grandmother officially proclaimed at that time that the kitchen was "forever closed" (she'd worked hard enough for all those years, I don't blame her.)

@ValoisFulcanelli : Hahaha, I normally never screencap when I'm not doing it for stories, so I will try to remember to document my building woes. ^_^;; Tonight my favorite streamer does a looooooong stream and I've seen these games so many times I don't need to actually "watch" him play anymore, so I find I like to just keep it running in the background and listen to the playthrough (I am not the first person to tell him his voice is ASMR-inducing, hahaha!) and work on making some Sims and other things for my next short story at the same time (I'm hoping to have my first "history" piece for The Therion Saga, the Amazon-Challenge-inspired story you know a bit about, be my entry this month, and I'm thinking I can turn that tower into a set piece if I don't bumble it up enough.

Lovely picture as always, Gunther makes a great King... but why in the world do I suddenly want to see Valois in place of that Irish Wolfhound? (You are terrible, Mastress...) Maybe vampire!Valois and pet!Gunther are still in my head and suddenly I'm seeing the chance for that to be turned around... >_> <_< >_> (Definitely terrible...)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, something I was going to mention and completely spaced off in my last message... so, last December, I wrote a short story for Short Story Challenge, Resolutions Resolved, that was about a girl with weight issues that learns to love herself as she is when she sees a gorgeous rotund lady strutting her stuff on TV (Valois provided the catwalk for that, which I still have many thanks for!) That lady turned out to be Drag Queen Latrice Royale, who is a real Drag Queen, and, a lot of this story is based on personal experience (I actually learned to love my own body image from seeing Latrice's positive attitude on RuPaul's Drag Race and how you can be "large and in charge, chunk yet funky" and entirely beautiful). I bring all this up because my sister just sent me a message over Skype that LATRICE IS COMING TO BOISE. O_O Oh. Em. Gee. That's where my sister lives and is only a two hour drive away from where I am. It's right in the middle of the work week, but I'm willing to overlook that inconvenience. This person made a HUGE impact on my life. I really want to go to that show!

So... would it look weird or untoward if I actually printed off a copy of my story and gave it to her? I mean, I guess fan's send in letters and stuff to even minor celebrities, but I don't want to look like I'm crossing some line. I wrote it because it was meaningful to me, but I don't want to come across as weird/creepy/stalkerish or anything! What do you guys think is appropriate in such a situation?
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, something I was going to mention and completely spaced off in my last message... so, last December, I wrote a short story for Short Story Challenge, Resolutions Resolved, that was about a girl with weight issues that learns to love herself as she is when she sees a gorgeous rotund lady strutting her stuff on TV (Valois provided the catwalk for that, which I still have many thanks for!) That lady turned out to be Drag Queen Latrice Royale, who is a real Drag Queen, and, a lot of this story is based on personal experience (I actually learned to love my own body image from seeing Latrice's positive attitude on RuPaul's Drag Race and how you can be "large and in charge, chunk yet funky" and entirely beautiful). I bring all this up because my sister just sent me a message over Skype that LATRICE IS COMING TO BOISE. O_O Oh. Em. Gee. That's where my sister lives and is only a two hour drive away from where I am. It's right in the middle of the work week, but I'm willing to overlook that inconvenience. This person made a HUGE impact on my life. I really want to go to that show!

So... would it look weird or untoward if I actually printed off a copy of my story and gave it to her? I mean, I guess fan's send in letters and stuff to even minor celebrities, but I don't want to look like I'm crossing some line. I wrote it because it was meaningful to me, but I don't want to come across as weird/creepy/stalkerish or anything! What do you guys think is appropriate in such a situation?

Personally, I think that it would be nice to show her, but that is just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Lovely picture as always, Gunther makes a great King... but why in the world do I suddenly want to see Valois in place of that Irish Wolfhound? (You are terrible, Mastress...) Maybe vampire!Valois and pet!Gunther are still in my head and suddenly I'm seeing the chance for that to be turned around... >_> <_< >_> (Definitely terrible...)
    Thank you!

*gently removes you from her brain* :mrgreen:

Actually, much though that thought appeals, Valois is such a dominant creature that I'd find it difficult to put him in that kind of situation. Yes, I can make him poor and servile (as befits his status in that era) but making him fully submissive is just... the muse is shaking his head and going "Nuh-uh!" Knight!Gunther is the top in the relationship in The Knight's Tale, too, but Valois is spirited and brave in that, despite being quiet and shy. I don't think he has a submissive bone in his body, regardless of which part he takes in a relationship.

It could also possibly be because of something that I have planned for the finale of The Madness of Mr Goth, and I don't want to jump the gun on anything that may detract from that 'something'. (And that's all I'm going to reveal about that - heh!)

As to your query about Latrice Royale... hmm. I'm unsure about printing out the story and giving it to her. I always worry that things like that are breaking the fourth wall, but that's usually only the case when the real people in question are placed in NC-17 situations (I still haven't forgotten the looks of vaguely stunned disbelief when fans gave the actors who played two of the hobbits in the LotR movies slashfic of their two characters). Since your story is a positive one and features nothing that may make her feel uncomfortable like that, what I'd suggest is printing it off and, if you get to speak to her, tell her about it and ask if she'd like to read it. Then, if she says yes, you can give it to her :)
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @ValoisFulcanelli: DOG.

Was there anything done to alter Gellert's size, or is it just the picture fooling me? Because I want a little variety in my dogs so I don't have to have "big dog" cover everything from Pointers to Newfoundlands.

---

I hope to have Chapter 66 up later tonight, but I got a little impatient:

Bfu0Z6d.jpg

It’s steps away from the beach, and yet for an occupied beach house, it looks terrible!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @ValoisFulcanelli: DOG.

Was there anything done to alter Gellert's size, or is it just the picture fooling me? Because I want a little variety in my dogs so I don't have to have "big dog" cover everything from Pointers to Newfoundlands.
    Nope. There was a very slight height deviation caused by the sitting animation when he's by the king's side (It made his head about a handspan lower compared to his normal sitting animation) but otherwise he's just the default Irish Wolfhound from the game. I didn't alter him at all.

ETA: For comparison, here's a screenshot of him standing by the king's side:

gellert04.jpg
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    jennytrujennytru Posts: 1,045 Member
    Hello everyone =) I've been reading over your stories on and off for a while now and I am in absolute awe! I'm a delighted that many people still play Sims 3.

I began a storytelling/fake legacy blog where I use just pictures because words often times fail me. I love reading your stories and just wanted to pop by and let you know! Happy simming
    Moonstone.jpg

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @ValoisFulcanelli: Back to hunting for solutions, then. I want my family to adopt a Newfoundland! But it's not worth it if they're puny. ;)

@jennytru: I tried the pictures-only thing long ago and confused everyone. :D I'll check out your blog, though.

---

frkjH95.jpg

“What are you doing here?” I ask her, with horror in my voice. The sound of my voice causes her to shiver for a second. “What do you know about them?!”
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @ValoisFulcanelli : Well... I did it. Not without difficulty, but I did it.

My first problem is I got all sorts of confused about the paneling because I'd ended up making the sides 4 tiles instead of two somehow... that was my first delete-and-start over. My next delete-and-start-over was because when I tried to put the ceiling on, I had squares that were just missing and wouldn't let me put tiles on them, like this:

Build01.jpg

I couldn't figure out what in the world I'd done wrong as I'd been following everything to a T, so I ended up bulldozing the lot... and starting aaaaaaall over again... and had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. At this point I was furious and started Googling like crazy (I hate trying to Google build stuff cause I never know how to properly describe what is going on...) Finally found a message where someone mentioned shoving a pillar under those squares just to get the tile to appear above it, then deleting the pillar... and THAT worked. Ugggggggh... (And this is why I don't like building...)

The second thing that drove up up the wall was trying to get the flooring on the ceiling and underside of the overhang... I swear that must've taken me a few hours alone. I have terrible camera control and it was going everywhere except into a position where I could actually get access to those areas. -_-;; I seemed to never be able to get just the right angle on it! I finally got there, but it took an unnecessarily long time. (Again, cr*p builder here).

So, here is the final product (note a few cosmetic changes were done to give is a "jungle island" motif)

Build02.jpg

And in context with the world:

Build03.jpg

And that was my adventures into the building foray. Total time: About 6 hours.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    @jennytru Welcome to the thread! It's nice to know who the lurkers are. :) And now I'm excited to see your story, as I don't think I've ever seen a full story with only pictures. :3
    @mastressalita Congratulations! :D
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @jennytru Hello, and welcome to the thread! Yes, there are lots of us still using Sims 3 to tell stories :)

@mastressalita First of all: Well done! That final result is amazing and well worth the time spent doing it!

Secondly: quit with the "cr*p builder" thing, okay? :p We all started out that way, and the only way we get better is by keeping at it and believing that we can get better.

Thirdly: I can see right away from the first pic what was probably causing your ceiling problem: you were building in-situ in a pre-made world, on a very small plot of land that wasn't completely level. Just from looking at that first overhead image, I can see that the land on three sides of the building is raised. The thing is, with TS3 you don't even realise the ground isn't 100% level sometimes until you try to put the ceiling on!

What happens is that you can draw your walls on slightly-uneven ground and you won't notice a problem. You can then place ceiling tiles around the inner edges of those walls without any problem, too. But, at the points where those ceiling tiles should meet, they're at slightly different heights, so the game shows you (by way of that squared overlay for the ceiling) that you have 'holes' that can't be filled.

Placing columns underneath the 'holes' can sometimes work, but often it won't. Placing flooring on the ground won't work either, as you'll realise if you've ever accidentally mis-clicked and managed to 'floor' the side of a mountain, as I have (and then you know that flooring can level terrain but it can also go up the side of slopes). Even if you place flooring both outside and inside the building, it won't level the already-drawn walls which are causing the problem.

The only thing I've found that will stop this is to either flatten the entire lot or to use the level terrain tool for the floor coverage of the building plus at least one extra tile (preferably more) around the building before you start building. In your case, option 1 would have caused more problems, since the edges of the lot slope upwards to meet the surrounding lots, but option 2 might have worked. Again, since it's such a tiny lot, I'm not so sure that it would have.

The best solution for you would have been to build it in an entirely flat world (I use the CAS world by Fuzzy Logic Dishwasher for all my builds; it's dead-flat and loads in seconds) but - crucially! - to have built it on the smallest possible lot you can place there. A 10x10 would have been fine, just for the building itself (not the landscaping). Then, after you'd created the building and saved it to the bin, you could have placed it into the world you're playing in, moved it to the correct position on the larger lot, and finished it up with the landscaping.

As to the texturing of the underside of the ceiling, even I struggled with that, because it's such a tiny building! Doing the lower level is fine, but when you're doing the higher levels from the outside (as you have to do with such a small building, since it's very difficult to get inside and 'look up' enough) the camera wants to bounce down a level and that's a pain in the rear end. When I'm texturing the underside of ceilings, I always have walls half-down (or fully down, depending on the building size). It's preferable to get as close to floor level as possible and then angle your camera up (I do have a camera mod installed that lets me get right to floor level; perfect for when you're screencapping from a pet's viewpoint). If you can get inside the room, you should have no problems, but I can usually texture from way out in the yard as well.

You could easily have left the undersides of the ceiling untextured, but I always try to make the effort to put something on them, especially in a build like this (Medieval in my case, jungle in your case) because you don't usually have nice smooth white plaster ceilings in situations like that! It breaks the immersion of the build for me, so it's always worth the effort.

Thanks so much for the feedback with regard to the tutorial, though! It's good to know what people may have struggled with, so I can put helpful notes and hints into future tutorials.

So... when will you be building your own Great Library, then? *runs away, giggling* :mrgreen:
    Post edited by ValoisFulcanelli on
    tfb.jpg