Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited October 2010
    Hi, I have two new lots that I recently built :)

Big Blue Diner

Please Rec and download if you like it , thanks :)

Your link didn't show for the download, so I fixed it. So now to take a closer look at the pictures.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hi, I have two new lots that I recently built :)

Dining Area:
    screenshotgk.jpg

Absolutely love the diner. Looks very much like a 50's diner in the pic above. I love the layout of the lot and the landscaping. The car in the parking lot is a nice touch. The interiors look great. I love the bright kitchen. This would be a great place for a party. No queue in the bathrooms for sure. I've rec'd and upped your downloads.
    This was a requested lot for MacyQueen, so I hope she likes it. It is decorated in Mauves, pale pinks and whites, so is perfect for a romance writer. It has one bedroom, a study, a full bathroom, garage and large open-plan kitchen/dining area/living area, and a lovely garden landscaped with pinks/whites too.

Blossom Cottage :)

Front:
    21904436.jpg

Pretty little cottage. I would suggest that if your not going to do a driveway that you terrain paint the ruts the car wheels would make in the grass. I love the landscaping in the back yard. The rocks along the edge of the garden look great. The kitchen area is lovely. I've never used pink in a kitchen before. I looks great. Is there a fire alarm? The dining area and the living room look really nice. I like the painting over the sofa. The bathroom is very pretty. Might I suggest a bottle of bubble bath and a rubber ducky be added to the tub. The study looks like a great place to write. Maybe you could add a stereo. It's always nice to have the stereo on while writing to improve the mood. The bedroom is very pretty. I like the accents walls. Great job.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    ChAoSqUaReDChAoSqUaReD Posts: 57
    edited October 2010
    Hello all!

I created a thread to ask this question but have yet to receive much of a response.

I am just getting into building lots and I see some lots that are marked "commercial".

My question is this...

Once you build some sort of commercial lot how (if it is possible) does the game know to use it as it is designed?

For example if I were to build (or download) a "restaurant" or "nightclub" and change the lot type from residential to commercial will the game now somehow use it as such?

I see that commercial lots can be designated for a specific purposes (i.e. a beach, art gallery, or pool, etc.) but how would one need to designate a lot to use in the case of something other than the options provided?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    CLM1227CLM1227 Posts: 517 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Hey...its been awhile since I've been in here...been a bit busy playing games with my Husband and chasing a newly walking baby all over the house.

Anyway, I uploaded a couple of new houses since the last time I was here. Home Sweet Home has a link in my siggy and the other one is in a Showcase Thread.

Home Sweet Home got significantly more Downloads than Amelie's Place did, even though I think Amelie's Place was better, so the replacement pictures definitely help. However, other people still get way more downloads than my homes.

How do they do it? What can I do to improve my shots beyond what I'm doing?

You guys are the ones who know what your doing and give excellent constructive criticism, so I'm all for any input you can give :) Check out the thread and let me know what I can do better =)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hello all!

I created a thread to ask this question but have yet to receive much of a response.

I am just getting into building lots and I see some lots that are marked "commercial".

My question is this...

Once you build some sort of commercial lot how (if it is possible) does the game know to use it as it is designed?

For example if I were to build (or download) a "restaurant" or "nightclub" and change the lot type from residential to commercial will the game now somehow use it as such?

I see that commercial lots can be designated for a specific purposes (i.e. a beach, art gallery, or pool, etc.) but how would one need to designate a lot to use in the case of something other than the options provided?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome ChAoSqUaReD. Other than the options provided for the game there are as yet no way to designate a lot as a restaurant or a night club. With the release of Late Night that might change. I have created a 'restaurant' in my hood. I placed a food register and a nectar register. I designated the lot as a hangout. I works with no problems. I hope this answers your question.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

• Options
    edited October 2010
    CLM1227 wrote:
    Hey...its been awhile since I've been in here...been a bit busy playing games with my Husband and chasing a newly walking baby all over the house.

Anyway, I uploaded a couple of new houses since the last time I was here. Home Sweet Home has a link in my siggy and the other one is in a Showcase Thread.

Home Sweet Home got significantly more Downloads than Amelie's Place did, even though I think Amelie's Place was better, so the replacement pictures definitely help. However, other people still get way more downloads than my homes.

How do they do it? What can I do to improve my shots beyond what I'm doing?

You guys are the ones who know what your doing and give excellent constructive criticism, so I'm all for any input you can give :) Check out the thread and let me know what I can do better =)

Hi CLM1227,

Do you advertise? I see you have a thread for this new build The Modern Beach House. Do you have an account with Facebook and Twitter? You can select the share option on the exchange page and post on these two groups. This will bring the build to the attention of a lot of other simmers. You can advertise on outside sites. I always advertise on TS3 Creators' Consortium. I also advertise on Facebook and Twitter. I have a Blog with Wordpress. I have a creations thread. I also post a link to the download and picture on my TS3 blog.

One thing I noticed on your showcase thread that you had problems with Photobucket. You could take a look at this tutorial on how to publish your pictures from your media page here on TS3.

Adding Screenshots to Forum Threads by addict1220.

I am lazy and do not like to have to click on each picture to take a closer look at it. I'm sure I'm not the only one. You can create a story here on TS3 or you can do a slide show on Photobucket then link to that. Creating a quality product and marketing that product are the key. Even with Sims builds. I'll go and take a look at your beach house now. Be back in a bit with comments.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

• Options
    Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited October 2010
    Hi Merry, just dropping in to say hi :D
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Modern Beach House by CLM1227

I took a quick look around your Beach House. I looks lovely. I suggest moving the garbage can to hide it. The landscaping is great. I like the ornamental pool in the back yard. I love what you did with the chimney. The roof is well done. I like your choice for exterior finish. Did you know you can re-colour the sides of floor tiles?

One wall tile of living room wall covering is in the master bedroom near the door. I suggest using the alt key when placing furniture so it doesn't appear that the curtains are going through the furniture. One cabinet in the kitchen is a different colour. I'd like to suggest that you make the faucets the same finish in the bathroom. I like the use of the 'Link' as a room divider. I love the colours you have used throughout the interior. I like the accent walls. I love that pattern on the rug in the loft. I did notice in a few places, that the trees or bushes show through the walls and in one place a rock shows through a fence. To fix this you can use the alt key when placing them. You can then ease them away from the walls so they don't show through.

Overall you've done a great job on this build. I've rec'd it for you.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hi Merry, just dropping in to say hi :D

Hi back! What have you been up to?

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    CLM1227CLM1227 Posts: 517 New Member
    edited October 2010
    The Modern Beach House by CLM1227

I took a quick look around your Beach House. I looks lovely. I suggest moving the garbage can to hide it. The landscaping is great. I like the ornamental pool in the back yard. I love what you did with the chimney. The roof is well done. I like your choice for exterior finish. Did you know you can re-colour the sides of floor tiles?

One wall tile of living room wall covering is in the master bedroom near the door. I suggest using the alt key when placing furniture so it doesn't appear that the curtains are going through the furniture. One cabinet in the kitchen is a different colour. I'd like to suggest that you make the faucets the same finish in the bathroom. I like the use of the 'Link' as a room divider. I love the colours you have used throughout the interior. I like the accent walls. I love that pattern on the rug in the loft. I did notice in a few places, that the trees or bushes show through the walls and in one place a rock shows through a fence. To fix this you can use the alt key when placing them. You can then ease them away from the walls so they don't show through.

Overall you've done a great job on this build. I've rec'd it for you.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Thank you for taking a look! And thank you for your input on advertising. I do have a wordpress blog for this, but as of yet doesn't get much traffic. I would like to keep my Facebook and Sims separate, although its not like I use Facebook like EVER.

I generally use TS3 but saw that a lot of people use external sites for hosting pictures and I chose that option this time considering I have 5 pages of pictures on TS3 and no means of organizing those pictures. Photobucket allows for some organizing.

Perhaps I will make a post in WP for the new build and link to it via the Showcase thread, make a new siggy (also frustrating to host and post with photobucket), and explore the display options in Photobucket.

As to the house, thank you for your comments!
    I suggest using the alt key when placing furniture so it doesn't appear that the curtains are going through the furniture.

I do generally use ALT for placement, though not for everything. The curtains I didn't really see a problem with, however I could see how that could be a problem with others. I'll work on that in the future.
    Did you know you can re-colour the sides of floor tiles?

YES! This was found out when I built a cute little farmhouse and I wanted a white divider between the wood-floor patio and the foundation. I did change the color of the edge in this house to, but then I changed the color of the foundation and forgot to altar the edge to reflect the new change >.< oops.
    One wall tile of living room wall covering is in the master bedroom near the door.

I can't believe 3 walkthrus in Camera Mode didn't bring this to my attention! I'll have to be more vigilant.
    One cabinet in the kitchen is a different colour.

For some reason, I have this problem with the Ultra set only. I did check the color of that cabinet 3-4 times when building the kitchen and still it looks a different color than the rest. I rang it up to lighting, but I really have no idea why it was behaving so badly.
    did notice in a few places, that the trees or bushes show through the walls and in one place a rock shows through a fence.

I did notice this. I fixed it on the wall next to the anchor but not the back wall because it wouldn't appear in pictures and really, it was behind the house and "out of view" from the curb. I thought I could get away with it - but clearly, you downloaded the house and did your own walkthrough! When I want you to critique my homes, I guess I better be more thorough because you certainly are =p

Thank you for the compliments, the Critique, and the req! I appreciate it =) Now off to work on that promotional material.
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited October 2010
    Hi Merry and Magic, :mrgreen:

I would love to get your feedback about my haunted house! It is called "A walk with the dead" and it is specially built for the Halloween showcase of Build-and-share challenge 70-71! Here is the link to the thread where the lot details are posted:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/274696.page
  • Options
    kquinn1990kquinn1990 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited October 2010
    Hey Merry. Here are some completed exterior shots of my mansion. I think I will name it Williams Manor. Do you think that's a good name? I will make a family after them, then name the house after it.

Exterior Completed:
    2nqgoyq.jpg

Landscaping Completed:
    2jga1bn.jpg

Yes, thats a tennis court in the back. It's just for show.
    j8ekoz.jpg

Oh, did you know 'Showcasing Your Lots' Workshop got deleted?

Edit: I took pictures of the floor plan. I am not that great at Photoshop as you might can tell. :D
    First: 9asheg.jpg
    Second: ji0z8n.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    CLM1227 wrote:

Thank you for taking a look! And thank you for your input on advertising. I do have a wordpress blog for this, but as of yet doesn't get much traffic. I would like to keep my Facebook and Sims separate, although its not like I use Facebook like EVER.

I generally use TS3 but saw that a lot of people use external sites for hosting pictures and I chose that option this time considering I have 5 pages of pictures on TS3 and no means of organizing those pictures. Photobucket allows for some organizing.

Perhaps I will make a post in WP for the new build and link to it via the Showcase thread, make a new siggy (also frustrating to host and post with photobucket), and explore the display options in Photobucket.

If you want to keep your Facebook separate, consider starting a second facebook persona just for Sims. You can also start one on Twitter. Did you know your can publicize immediately to Facebook and Twitter when you make a new post on your Blog at WordPress.
    CLM1227 wrote:
    As to the house, thank you for your comments!
    One cabinet in the kitchen is a different colour.

For some reason, I have this problem with the Ultra set only. I did check the color of that cabinet 3-4 times when building the kitchen and still it looks a different color than the rest. I rang it up to lighting, but I really have no idea why it was behaving so badly.

I have noticed this too. Even when you use the eye dropper tool to clone a re-coloured counter, it will be in the original default colour. I guess we just have to be more diligent with this particular set.
    CLM1227 wrote:
    I thought I could get away with it - but clearly, you downloaded the house and did your own walkthrough! When I want you to critique my homes, I guess I better be more thorough because you certainly are =p

Thank you for the compliments, the Critique, and the req! I appreciate it =) Now off to work on that promotional material.

I don't always do a walkthrough, but in your case I had a little difficulty seeing the pictures, even on the Photobucket site.... so I did a walkthrough. But you never know when you might find me doing a walkthrough. And like you said, I am thorough.

Please post a link here when you get the promotional material uploaded.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yanti68 wrote:
    Hi Merry and Magic, :mrgreen:

I would love to get your feedback about my haunted house! It is called "A walk with the dead" and it is specially built for the Halloween showcase of Build-and-share challenge 70-71! Here is the link to the thread where the lot details are posted:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/274696.page

Oooo scary! I love all of the attention to detail. I love the brambles on top of the porch. The skeletons and the eerie CASing you have used in the interior. I love the addition of the ghosts. There is only one thing that stood out to me, especially in the night shots, and that is the edge and bottom of the upstairs balcony. I suggest a little CAS on the edge of the tile to make it fit in with the surrounding area and maybe a decrepit wood ceiling.

I'm glad to see that there is no CC in this lot. I think I'm going to enjoy walking through this lot and playing it. I've rec'd and downloaded.

We are doing a similar challenge on TS3 Creators' Consortium. I wonder if you could enter that too? I'm going to enter it and now after seeing your haunted house, you have definitely given me some ideas.

[urlhttp://builders.forumotion.net/2-week-challenges-f98/ts3-creacon-haunted-house-challenge-t1337.htm]Haunted House Challenge[/url]

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    kquinn1990 wrote:
    Hey Merry. Here are some completed exterior shots of my mansion. I think I will name it Williams Manor. Do you think that's a good name? I will make a family after them, then name the house after it.

Exterior Completed:
    2nqgoyq.jpg

Yes I know about Fid's forum. Maybe you could post a comment here too! The more people who post and ask where it's gone, hopefully they will bring it back. Or at least explain why it was deleted. There can't be a valid reason. It must be a mistake.

I think Williams Manor will be a great name. The exterior looks great. I like the circular drive. I like the double roof effect. Now I assume the tennis court is CC. Remember this will limit your downloads. Those who do not want CC in their game will not download. I'm afraid I'm on of them.

Your floor plan looks great. When you have finished the house, I'd love to see as close a picture as you can take of the first and second floor. Take the pictures into Photoshop and add text telling what the rooms are. This will help people understand what they are seeing when you show the interior pictures.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from the interior of this build.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited October 2010
    Hi Merry, :mrgreen:

Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it! I have posted my haunted house for TS3 creators consortium challenge too! I was very excited! It was my first post! Still need a little bit of time to find my way through the forums! :oops: :D

Thanks for downloading and recommending my lot! Hope you like the lot in your game! Tell me if you like the thunder and lightning effect or not! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yanti68 wrote:
    Hi Merry, :mrgreen:

Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it! I have posted my haunted house for TS3 creators consortium challenge too! I was very excited! It was my first post! Still need a little bit of time to find my way through the forums! :oops: :D

Thanks for downloading and recommending my lot! Hope you like the lot in your game! Tell me if you like the thunder and lightning effect or not! :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting at TS3CC. I had to fix your pictures though. They don't work the same there. Good luck on the challenge.

I'll let you know after I play it for a bit.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Just posting to get to the next page.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Edit: Ah! That worked.
  • Options
    DeadxRose16DeadxRose16 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited October 2010
    http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=267472

This was the home I based your project on. Thank you so much.
    I would upload the pictures straight to your forum but all those picture uploading sites never really work for me. Anyway I really appreciate this forum post it helped me understand a little more about decorating and building.
  • Options
    kquinn1990kquinn1990 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Merry, The tennis court is not CC. I placed carpet down, then went into CAS and fooled with the carpet patterns in it; then made the green the right tone. The white, is the "FIe Fi Fo" fence. Did I spell that right? There is no CC in the house, as you can see I changed the windows too. From what you said about CC.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I would upload the pictures straight to your forum but all those picture uploading sites never really work for me. Anyway I really appreciate this forum post it helped me understand a little more about decorating and building.

Hello and welcome DeanxRose16. I think you have done a great job with the floor plan. I like the colours you have chosen for the living room, kitchen and dining room. I would suggest that you add a ceiling. This is easy to do by taking the auto room off and placing a flat roof under the regular roof. Do you have a fire alarm in the kitchen and a burglar alarm in the living room? You could use the empty rooms to add another half bath for guests. I think the larger of the two empty rooms could be used as a dressing room. I like the bathroom. You have room to add a shower. Do you have a toilet paper roll and towels in the bathroom? Possibly add a rug in front of the tub. I wonder why you haven't added any curtains. I would suggest adding a couple of windows. Maybe one in the kitchen and one in the front of the living room.

You could also review this tutorial. It might help you with picture posting on the TS3 forum.

Adding Screenshots to the Forum Threads by Addict1220

I would like to see a little artwork on the walls. Could you show me some more pictures when you have completed the above changes?

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    kquinn1990 wrote:
    Thanks Merry, The tennis court is not CC. I placed carpet down, then went into CAS and fooled with the carpet patterns in it; then made the green the right tone. The white, is the "FIe Fi Fo" fence. Did I spell that right? There is no CC in the house, as you can see I changed the windows too. From what you said about CC.

Oh great! I'm glad to hear that. Very inventive.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Hello and welcome DeanxRose16. I think you have done a great job with the floor plan. I like the colours you have chosen for the living room, kitchen and dining room. I would suggest that you add a ceiling. This is easy to do by taking the auto room off and placing a flat roof under the regular roof. Do you have a fire alarm in the kitchen and a burglar alarm in the living room? You could use the empty rooms to add another half bath for guests. I think the larger of the two empty rooms could be used as a dressing room. I like the bathroom. You have room to add a shower. Do you have a toilet paper roll and towels in the bathroom? Possibly add a rug in front of the tub. I wonder why you haven't added any curtains. I would suggest adding a couple of windows. Maybe one in the kitchen and one in the front of the living room.

You could also review this tutorial. It might help you with picture posting on the TS3 forum.

Adding Screenshots to the Forum Threads by Addict1220

I would like to see a little artwork on the walls. Could you show me some more pictures when you have completed the above changes?

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Thank you so much, I will make those few changes, I actually did forget a few those things. As for curtains though I really don't like them. I find that they take away from the scene outside the window, just a personal preference. Actually I do have windows in the kitchen they are lined between the cabinets. I do have to work on my picture taking a little though I keep forgetting that you can move closer and still get a really good picture. I definitely will read the blog on screen shots to forums and will show you more pic's when completed. Thank you so much for your input. This was actually the first home that I build without someone showing me how to accomplish everything out right. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Thank you so much, I will make those few changes, I actually did forget a few those things. As for curtains though I really don't like them. I find that they take away from the scene outside the window, just a personal preference. Actually I do have windows in the kitchen they are lined between the cabinets. I do have to work on my picture taking a little though I keep forgetting that you can move closer and still get a really good picture. I definitely will read the blog on screen shots to forums and will show you more pic's when completed. Thank you so much for your input. This was actually the first home that I build without someone showing me how to accomplish everything out right. :D

I understand what you mean about curtains. There is a small tutorial about "Cameraman Mode" on page one of this thread in the 5th post. I hope this will help you some with your pictures. I'm so glad this thread was able to help you.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here are the updated picture's

Living room

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/989/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/979/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/978/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/977/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Kitchen

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/984/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/981/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Bedroom

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/985/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/964/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Bathroom

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/967/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/966/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Guest bath

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/971/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Dressing room

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/970/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]
    Also have a dresser inside

Laundry Room

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/973/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Over view

[img]http://llnw.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/media/shard000//shard000/975/710/006/00/screenshot_original.jpg "width=600" "height=450"[/img]

Sorry if this was to long tried to show you all of the changes that I made. Tell me what ya think :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top