The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    magician1magician1 Posts: 3,098 Member
    edited November 2010
    I wish I can get this to the Next page so we can carry on! Sigh

• Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't see my last Post.

Can anybody see it?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Do not be shy on my account. :) I will be happy to review and comment on your creations. -EQ

That would be great ty EQ. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have been meaning to start these lessons. I guess there is no time like the present!

Have you started on the "Homework" yet?

Would love to see you do it.

Let's Learn Together
  • Options
    BUTTONSGINGERBUTTONSGINGER Posts: 5,702 Member
    edited November 2010
    I really need to start these lessons! :shock: No :oops: :oops: My season of work will be finishing soon so I will be able to start soon! Promise :wink:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I really need to start these lessons! :shock: No :oops: :oops: My season of work will be finishing soon so I will be able to start soon! Promise :wink:

Soon you will have lots of Sim time. :D Great.

Enjoy
  • Options
    LaughingJacksLaughingJacks Posts: 160 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I think I am going to start assignment one today. I will use this:

http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/1367736/ode_2_Noemas_Color_6

when I get to assignment two. I really like colourlovers, been there for a while.
  • Options
    LaughingJacksLaughingJacks Posts: 160 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Here we go with Assignment 1

o0ymae.jpg
    2vxq0yh.jpg
    2s802s4.jpg
    iq8z2h.jpg
    2r7697p.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    magician1 wrote:

Enjoy

Where do I find the lessons? On the first page here?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Here we go with Assignment 1

o0ymae.jpg
    2vxq0yh.jpg
    2s802s4.jpg
    iq8z2h.jpg
    2r7697p.jpg

Hi there

Glad u r doing the assignments.

Looks good so far. I want to suggest to maybe just play around with the roof so that it looks a bit different.

U can go onto assignment 2 and I like your Colour Palette.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    magician1 wrote:

Enjoy

Where do I find the lessons? On the first page here?

Hi BG

The Lessons are in the very 1st Post by MW under the Heading 'Time for Homework'.

Enjoy it
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Great! I will get started this coming week! :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This says lessons for Novices......well, here I am!

I am looking at lesson one and I see in the master suite the dimensions are 13'10 x 12'4....which one is the length and which one is the width....told you....I am a novice :?

3. Decide the best plan to convert this floor plan for use by our beloved pixelated people. What?

4. Do not use auto roof, but plan and implement an interesting roof line. Ummmm....is there a tutorial on how NOT to use auto roof? I have tried to put a roof on without auto roof and can't seem to figure it out :?

LOL.....you have your student. Good Luck! LOL
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited November 2010
    This says lessons for Novices......well, here I am!

I am looking at lesson one and I see in the master suite the dimensions are 13'10 x 12'4....which one is the length and which one is the width....told you....I am a novice :?

Hi BG. True it is hard to tell with the master suite because the measurements are very close. You don't have to be exact. I think the 13'10" is the width. Note that 1 Sim tile is about 2' x 2' real life conversion.
    3. Decide the best plan to convert this floor plan for use by our beloved pixelated people. What?

There are just some things the Sims can't use. For instance, the tiny room in the upper right corner of the kitchen. It is meant for the garbage can, but is really useless for the Sims. Closets that are only 1 x 2 tiles would not be used by the Sims either. Also keep in mind how much room your Sim needs to navigate around the rooms.
    4. Do not use auto roof, but plan and implement an interesting roof line. Ummmm....is there a tutorial on how NOT to use auto roof? I have tried to put a roof on without auto roof and can't seem to figure it out :?

LOL.....you have your student. Good Luck! LOL

Before you start a build select the roofing section by clicking on the roof in the Build mode. On the Roof tab there is a choice of Auto Roof on or off. Select off. There are also two 'buttons' you can click. One is to remove all roofs, use this if you started building before turning off auto roof. The other is to raise and lower individual roofs. There are two sliders. One is to adjust roof heights for all of the roofs and the other is for pagoda roofs only. There are 3 tabs, the first and the last are roof types and the middle one is for roof patterns. Select the roof of your choice and drag it over the structure. I will also add here that you can use the flat roofing tiles to create a ceiling under the regular roof.

This tutorial might also be helpful to you.

Porch Roof Styles

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh, thanks so much MerryWiddow! That clears things up a bit! Looking at the tutorial now. I am looking forward to doing these assigments. :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Sorry, double post....silly forum :?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    scree250.jpg

scree251.jpg

scree252.jpg

scree253.jpg

scree254.jpg

I can even see that my porch roof is not correct. Looks too far out to me and I can't get it to connect to the main roof correctly. I have tried it at least 6 times.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

scree253.jpg

I can even see that my porch roof is not correct. Looks too far out to me and I can't get it to connect to the main roof correctly. I have tried it at least 6 times.

The floor plan looks great. Just a note: when you use foundation you can recolour it, when you use decking you cannot. Keep this in mind when planning.

The roof; I see your problem. I suggest starting from the front and working back into the roof. You can use the 'Roof Section Pitch Control' button, the first of the 2 buttons in the roof section of Build mode, on the front porch roof when you are done. Just move it slightly until it matches the rest of the roof. Or you can lower it so it is a little lower than the main roof. This can add interest.

This is the point where you want to start your roof.
    [img]http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/15/43/51/04/screen31.jpg "width=640"[/img]

You have done well. When you are satisfied with your roof you can move on to assignment 2.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    IluvdasimsIluvdasims Posts: 126
    edited November 2010
    Hey! This is an awesome thread! And since I'm rubbish at designing houses I thought I would give this a go!

Assignment One:

Screenshot-13.jpg"width=640"

I'm not very good at roofs! =/

Screenshot-12.jpg"width=640]

Screenshot-14.jpg"width=640"

Screenshot-16.jpg"width=640"

Screenshot-15.jpg"width=640"

Sorry! it's not very good! =/ Feedback will be greatly appreciated! xx

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Iluvdasims wrote:
    Hey! This is an awesome thread! And since I'm rubbish at designing houses I thought I would give this a go!

Assignment One:

You have done quite well. The only thing I would change is to add two more columns in the corners of your veranda. It will help it look more realistic. The roof looks great.

Considering the style of the house, I would choose less modern looking doors, windows and railing. If you want to go with the modern look, then a change in roof is in order. Search the internet for pictures of modern houses and look at the roof styles.

Whichever style you decide to go with, you can move on to assignment 2.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Okay, I think I got the porch roof correct now and I changed the decking to foundation.

scree260.jpg

scree261.jpg

scree262.jpg

scree263.jpg

scree264.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Iluvdasims wrote:

Assignment One:

You have done quite well. The only thing I would change is to add two more columns in the corners of your veranda. It will help it look more realistic. The roof looks great.

Considering the style of the house, I would choose less modern looking doors, windows and railing. If you want to go with the modern look, then a change in roof is in order. Search the internet for pictures of modern houses and look at the roof styles.

Whichever style you decide to go with, you can move on to assignment 2.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Thanks, I was planning on changing the fencing and the doors and that in a bit! :D

And I will go do assignment two now! :) xx
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hi! Just thought I'd show you my colours, here they are!

Screenshot-7.jpg"width=640"

Tell me what you think! :) xx
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hey, I have finished my living room and wanted to know your opinion before I carried on with it! :D

Screenshot-25.jpg"width=640"

Screenshot-24.jpg"width=640"

Thank you for all your help ! :D xx

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top