Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• Options
    puffin87puffin87 Posts: 57
    edited September 2010
    Hi Merry,
    Using your suggestions I lightened the wood of the pergola and outdoor furniture, and used MOO to hide the lights amongst the flowers. I'm really glad you like the back porch.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ecka05/sims/Screenshot-12.jpg "width=640" "height=480"[/IMG]

I also changed some of the interior design in the bathroom:
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ecka05/sims/Screenshot-17.jpg "width=640" "height=480"[/IMG]

I added wood crown and base molding in the living room and changed the pattern of the sofas:
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ecka05/sims/Screenshot-20.jpg "width=640" "height=480"[/IMG]

I'm using your Ridgley Manor in my legacy neighborhood game and my legacy family likes to visit the Martinez family that lives in the Manor :). I can't wait to use your Du Soleil Strand Beach later this evening.

Also @RADMD: I love your latest pictures showing your landscaping. The driveway, garden, and the backyard are all wonderful.
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited September 2010
    puffin87 wrote:
    Hi Merry,
    Using your suggestions I lightened the wood of the pergola and outdoor furniture, and used MOO to hide the lights amongst the flowers. I'm really glad you like the back porch.
    I also changed some of the interior design in the bathroom:
    I added wood crown and base molding in the living room and changed the pattern of the sofas:

I'm using your Ridgley Manor in my legacy neighborhood game and my legacy family likes to visit the Martinez family that lives in the Manor :). I can't wait to use your Du Soleil Strand Beach later this evening.

Also @RADMD: I love your latest pictures showing your landscaping. The driveway, garden, and the backyard are all wonderful.

I like the changes you have made puffin. I'm so glad you like Ridgley Manor. Do you have Du Soleil? I hope the beach will fit okay in whatever neighbourhood you do have.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm getting it right now, I don't have any extra neighborhoods installed, just Sunset Valley. Right now I'm going to try deleting a beach-side community lot in Sunset Valley and replace it with your lot and let you know if that works. If that doesn't work then I'll get a new neighborhood with more beach lots. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Puffin the world it was built for was Du Soleil by Magician1. Let me know if you manage to fit it into a lot in Sunset Valley.

If not here is the link to the download at Mediafire.

Du Soleil

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok I just realized after at least 8 months of playing the Sims 3 in Edit Town mode that there is a place to add lots to the neighborhood. So I just added a 40x40 lot (I think it was), switched it to a community beach lot and then added your Beach community lot to it. Here are 2 pictures of my legacy founder and her daughter along with townies there. I'm also downloading Magician's town Du Soleil too:) I had to turn down the quality options in the game just so it would run a little smoother.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ecka05/sims/Screenshot-33.jpg "width=640" "height=480"[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ecka05/sims/Screenshot-32.jpg "width=640" "height=480"[/IMG]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    puffin87 wrote:
    Ok I just realized after at least 8 months of playing the Sims 3 in Edit Town mode that there is a place to add lots to the neighborhood. So I just added a 40x40 lot (I think it was), switched it to a community beach lot and then added your Beach community lot to it. Here are 2 pictures of my legacy founder and her daughter along with townies there. I'm also downloading Magician's town Du Soleil too:) I had to turn down the quality options in the game just so it would run a little smoother.

Adding lots is new with Ambitions or one of the patches that came at the same time as Ambitions. It looks good there. Thanks for showing me this.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi dear Merry, :mrgreen:

Here am I again! Asking for your helpful tips and feedback on my latest build! You have helped me a lot to improve my building skills and I am very grateful for that! The latest build of mine is a starter boathouse! Specially built for TSS legacy starter challenge! Here are the details of the lot:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/262352.page
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yanti68 wrote:

Here am I again! Asking for your helpful tips and feedback on my latest build! You have helped me a lot to improve my building skills and I am very grateful for that! The latest build of mine is a starter boathouse! Specially built for TSS legacy starter challenge! Here are the details of the lot:

Lovely build Yanti. I think you did great conveying a boat. I love the colour of the exterior. I'm glad to see the garbage can is not on the curb. The interiors are beautiful. You always do a great job on the interiors. The restrictions didn't seem to deter you from creating another great build. The only thing I miss is there is not any room for landscaping, which you are so good at. You did well with the room you did have. Did you include a fire alarm? I didn't see one in the pictures. I've rec'd and upped your downloads.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited September 2010
    yanti68 wrote:

Lovely build Yanti. I think you did great conveying a boat. I love the colour of the exterior. I'm glad to see the garbage can is not on the curb. The interiors are beautiful. You always do a great job on the interiors. The restrictions didn't seem to deter you from creating another great build. The only thing I miss is there is not any room for landscaping, which you are so good at. You did well with the room you did have. Did you include a fire alarm? I didn't see one in the pictures. I've rec'd and upped your downloads.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Hi there Merry, :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot for your lovely comments! I appreciate your feedback! Glad you liked everything! Yeah, I missed creating a garden too! I am not used to pinching simoleans with my builds! It was hard to build something decent within budget! Yes as a matter of fact I did include a fire alarm! It was on the right side of the refrigerator! I did not take a picture of that and that is why you did not notice it! Thanks for downloading and recommending! You are so sweet and supportive always! I appreciate you! :mrgreen: ((Hugs))
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yanti68 wrote:

Hi there Merry, :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot for your lovely comments! I appreciate your feedback! Glad you liked everything! Yeah, I missed creating a garden too! I am not used to pinching simoleans with my builds! It was hard to build something decent within budget! Yes as a matter of fact I did include a fire alarm! It was on the right side of the refrigerator! I did not take a picture of that and that is why you did not notice it! Thanks for downloading and recommending! You are so sweet and supportive always! I appreciate you! :mrgreen: ((Hugs))

You're welcome Yanti.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    hmsdrco2001hmsdrco2001 Posts: 818 Member
    edited September 2010
    Hi MerryWiddow, I've just uploaded my third house to the Exchange--Bali Breeze. This was my first attempt at a non-modern home. It's an Asian-themed home with much of the perimeter free of walls allowing open vistas to the surrounding landscape. The open design scheme presented some challenges with chimneys (won't form unless they are enclosed in a walled off room when placing the fireplace), lighting (several "black holes" are created where rugs appear black even though they are well-lit), and privacy (probably a home best suited for a single couple). There are two "bedrooms" and six bathrooms on five levels (including two basement levels. Other features include a pool, garage, laundry, gym, spa, martial arts training area, game room, design studio, music studio, and nectary. As always, I greatly appreciate any feedback you might have, and I've learned so much from this forum. Thanks!

Here is a link to the lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3109318

Here are some screenshots:
    25000048.jpg

59278708.jpg

79115032.jpg

55484332.jpg

88000334.jpg

87306576.jpg

32654456.jpg

63780232.jpg

85117560.jpg

71638959.jpg

35939124.jpg

23568285.jpg

23146185.jpg

11574914.jpg

63989046.jpg

91010000.jpg

59766174.jpg

33901362.jpg

87317571.jpg

Floorplan:

Top floor:
    35134338.jpg

Second floor:
    45936540.jpg

Ground floor:
    22502332.jpg

Basement level 1:
    48218967.jpg

Basement level 2:
    51435485.jpg

Have a great weekend!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hi MerryWiddow, I've just uploaded my third house to the Exchange--Bali Breeze. This was my first attempt at a non-modern home. It's an Asian-themed home with much of the perimeter free of walls allowing open vistas to the surrounding landscape. The open design scheme presented some challenges with chimneys (won't form unless they are enclosed in a walled off room when placing the fireplace), lighting (several "black holes" are created where rugs appear black even though they are well-lit), and privacy (probably a home best suited for a single couple). There are two "bedrooms" and six bathrooms on five levels (including two basement levels. Other features include a pool, garage, laundry, gym, spa, martial arts training area, game room, design studio, music studio, and nectary. As always, I greatly appreciate any feedback you might have, and I've learned so much from this forum. Thanks!

Here is a link to the lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3109318

Here are some screenshots:
    25000048.jpg

Have a great weekend!

You have done it again. A beautiful build. My first impression is serenity.

Did you know you can re-colour the sides of floor tiles? This would be great for your bridge rooms across the pool and a lot of the outside edges. The front entrance is very well done. I think you have done great with the landscaping. The pool area looks very relaxing. The finish on the columns looks great. The living room and bedroom are lovely with the red touches. I like the design of the kitchen. I hope there is a fire alarm. I love the Dining room on the bridge.

I had to do a little finagling to get to see the bathroom picture. It wouldn't show for me. So I saved it to my computer. It was worth the trouble. I love the wall treatment you have used in the bathroom. I see you have bubble bath! :D This is a great house for the Sim who loves the outdoors. The design studio and martial arts areas are great.

You carry the serenity into the basement. The gym and spa: I love the garden. The rest of the basement area looks great too.

I'm not sure you would have problems with privacy if you've used fencing for your exterior walls. For the interior you could use walls but fill them with arches. This gives the illusion of no walls but the Sims see them as walls.

I included the link to your story here as well because there is explanation with the pictures which give a better overall idea of the uses of the rooms.

Link to story

There is one suggestion I would like to make about the story. The overhead pictures don't show very well in this format. To better show them, it is a good idea to get in as close as you possibly can when taking the pictures. Sometimes a little editing and adding the names of the rooms helps too. Here is an example.

sg4yol.jpg

Great build. I've rec'd and upped your downloads. I rec'd your story too. You have a great weekend too!

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

P.S. Your basement level one picture is stretching the page. Could you please re-size it. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey MerryWiddow,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and feedback. I'm going to play around with recoloring the sides of my tiles. I think you are referring to the border and corner tiles. Let me know if there's a different way. I tried that with my woven rug floor tile, but I couldn't get the texture to align at the corner tiles or opposing side. Maybe it's best for simpler textures like wood.

The kitchen definitely has a fire alarm. I always put one above the stove. Do you know how far a fire alarm can be placed from the stove to be functional? I'd love to put a window or picture over the stove sometimes, but I'm afraid the fire alarm won't work unless it's directly over the stove.

Archways are a good thought for keeping an open space but preserving the privacy.

I appreciate the thoughts on my story. I wasn't sure how to annotate the pictures since I was working with uploaded screenshots. I will try editing future pictures with photoshop--cropping and annotating, then adding to my screenshots folder for uploading. Hopefully that'll work. You are definitely right that the floorplans could use some cropping and labels! I would have liked to crop my "Miami Luxury" story cover page (you can see the prop light on the ground lighting up the models). :) Oh well.

My goal is to use constrainfloorelevation in some way for my next build. It's kind of intimidating and makes my head hurt a little. :) I tried it on this one for the garage but didn't like how the wall distortion looked. SimEve has a nice workaround with her Tropical Serenity House--using a double wall as camouflage.

Sorry about that basement picture. I just resized it and hope it works better now.

Thanks again, and I look forward to keeping in touch on here.

Take care,
    Bill (hmsdrco2001 is a bit cumbersome)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey MerryWiddow,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and feedback. I'm going to play around with recoloring the sides of my tiles. I think you are referring to the border and corner tiles. Let me know if there's a different way. I tried that with my woven rug floor tile, but I couldn't get the texture to align at the corner tiles or opposing side. Maybe it's best for simpler textures like wood.

The kitchen definitely has a fire alarm. I always put one above the stove. Do you know how far a fire alarm can be placed from the stove to be functional? I'd love to put a window or picture over the stove sometimes, but I'm afraid the fire alarm won't work unless it's directly over the stove.

Archways are a good thought for keeping an open space but preserving the privacy.

I appreciate the thoughts on my story. I wasn't sure how to annotate the pictures since I was working with uploaded screenshots. I will try editing future pictures with photoshop--cropping and annotating, then adding to my screenshots folder for uploading. Hopefully that'll work. You are definitely right that the floorplans could use some cropping and labels! I would have liked to crop my "Miami Luxury" story cover page (you can see the prop light on the ground lighting up the models). :) Oh well.

My goal is to use constrainfloorelevation in some way for my next build. It's kind of intimidating and makes my head hurt a little. :) I tried it on this one for the garage but didn't like how the wall distortion looked. SimEve has a nice workaround with her Tropical Serenity House--using a double wall as camouflage.

Sorry about that basement picture. I just resized it and hope it works better now.

Thanks again, and I look forward to keeping in touch on here.

Take care,
    Bill (hmsdrco2001 is a bit cumbersome)

Hi Bill,

For the sides of the floor tiles I meant the ones circled in the following picture.
    [IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2jayycz.jpg "width=640"[/IMG]

The fire alarm has to be in the same room. It is a good idea to add a fire alarm for fireplaces and the new inventing table.

For your screenshot, if you save it with the same name in your screenshot folder you should not have a problem.

There are some Learn to Build CFE assignments on the first page of this thread in one of Magician1's posts. Maybe you could try them first.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've been going through those tutorials tonight, and I appreciate the links. Thanks for clarifying about recoloring the edges of the floors. I had no idea you could do that. That's really awesome. The purple edge definitely doesn't look very natural.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've been going through those tutorials tonight, and I appreciate the links. Thanks for clarifying about recoloring the edges of the floors. I had no idea you could do that. That's really awesome. The purple edge definitely doesn't look very natural.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've added a little to this mini tutorial. So I thought I'd post it again here.

Following is a method to insure the name you give your lot stays with it when downloaded.

NAMING YOUR LOT

Before you copy your lot to the library or share your lot, select the lot in Edit Town mode. Click on 'Edit Details'. In this area, enter the 'Lot Name' and 'Lot Details'. In the 'Lot Details' make sure to include your user name. Go back to Edit Town and SAVE.

After this information is entered in this manner, it will stay with the lot on its further journeys. You can then proceed as you normally would to place it in the library and/or share your lot.

I'd like to add that you can also add a plaque to you house since the addition of WA.

You will find the plaque, there are two choices, in the buydebug section of the Buy Mode.

Ctrl + Shift + C
    testingCheatsEnabled true

Ctrl + Shift + C
    buydebug on

A ? mark category will appear. The plaques are in the tomb section.

Ctrl + Shift + click on the plaque. Select the text option. Write your text in the pop up box. This must be done in build or buy mode. You will get the message when clicked in live mode.

Remember to turn both cheats off when done with them.

Ctrl + Shift + C
    testingCheatsEnabled false

Ctrl + Shift + C
    buydebug off

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    kquinn1990kquinn1990 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited September 2010
    Hey Merry.

Here is my latest lot called "The Washington Estate." It's a small farm house I built

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/263639.page
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kquinn1990 wrote:
    Hey Merry.

Here is my latest lot called "The Washington Estate." It's a small farm house I built

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/263639.page

I was finally able to get on this forum. I've had a look at your newest lot page. I like what I see. You have done well with this one. The architecture is very nicely done. Your landscaping looks great. I love the tracks leading back to the barn. I noticed the comments about the hay bales in the front. I think they added character to the build, even if they wouldn't normally be in the front yard. The interiors are lovely. I would have used a different wood for the 1/2 wall in the kitchen, something with a long plank vertically. Did you include a fire alarm? The rest of the interiors looks very well done too.

Maybe on the subject of your cover shot, you should consider sending it out for cropping. Lol! Seriously, it doesn't look bad. I can see from the first picture you have used in your thread, that is the photo you used. Nothing is missing from the sides in the cover picture. You haven't cropped it to square first. You have to sacrifice either perspective or a little of the lovely landscaping. I think you made a good choice. Don't worry so much about your cover shot.

I've rec'd and upped your downloads.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    kquinn1990kquinn1990 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited September 2010
    I got your message on the other site, and thanks for the comments on my house. Thanks for the rec and the download.

I have a new house thats a colonial house.

It's almost completed, but I am unsure of the front door. It has the same color of the house, but I don't like it.

Sorry for the lighting, the picture was taken at like 4:30 PM in the game.

r88ccz.jpg

And here is the back of the house.

2vxk1fo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kquinn1990 wrote:
    I got your message on the other site, and thanks for the comments on my house. Thanks for the rec and the download.

I have a new house thats a colonial house.

It's almost completed, but I am unsure of the front door. It has the same color of the house, but I don't like it.

Sorry for the lighting, the picture was taken at like 4:30 PM in the game.

And here is the back of the house.

Looks like a nice house. I like your start. A colonial house wouldn't have a glass door. That is more of a patio door. I would suggest a solid door. If you want to spice it up, make it a bright colour like red. I like what you have done with the fence at the top of the chimneys, but maybe the chimneys should be the same finish as the fence. It might look more like it belongs. Don't forget to colour the sides of the floor tiles on the balcony and the overhang of the house. I love the large patio at the back of the house. I think you need more room at the sides of the pool by the ladders. A couple of tile widths at least. I usually find for comfort 3 tiles are best. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hi MerryWiddow, I just uploaded a new lot to the exchange, Charleston Charm. It's a 3-bedroom (including children's bedroom), 6-bathroom home with Old South coastal architecture, landscaping, and decor inspired by Charleston, South Carolina--close to where I grew up. With this lot, I tried new things like recoloring floor edges, disabling snapping to grids and angles, landscape paints, fog emitters, adding a house plaque with text, and designing for children. I also ventured into antique/traditional decor (not my personal style). I tried to make use of a few tutorials offered by ruthless_kk including those on breaking up the house facade (correcting the boxy look) and creating harmony with color and patterns.

Here is the link to the lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3139974

Here are some exterior screenshots:
    10513194.jpg

76393467.jpg

78076093.jpg

53801585.jpg

56568614.jpg

For the interior, I chose a color palette of red, green, and gold with woven accents to highlight sweetgrass wicker which is characteristic of Charleston.

30551415.jpg

74716989.jpg

71751941.jpg

99016048.jpg

15892912.jpg

17692067.jpg

15183495.jpg

57476868.jpg

50512543.jpg

93690602.jpg

40709944.jpg

38032427.jpg

46817384.jpg

46071132.jpg

Floorplan:

Ground floor:
    floorplan1.jpg

Second floor:
    floorplan2.jpg

Third floor:
    floorplan3.jpg

Basement:
    floorplan4.jpg

Many thanks for all of the lessons learned and support from you. I hope you have a wonderful day.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hi MerryWiddow, I just uploaded a new lot to the exchange, Charleston Charm. It's a 3-bedroom (including children's bedroom), 6-bathroom home with Old South coastal architecture, landscaping, and decor inspired by Charleston, South Carolina--close to where I grew up. With this lot, I tried new things like recoloring floor edges, disabling snapping to grids and angles, landscape paints, fog emitters, adding a house plaque with text, and designing for children. I also ventured into antique/traditional decor (not my personal style). I tried to make use of a few tutorials offered by ruthless_kk including those on breaking up the house facade (correcting the boxy look) and creating harmony with color and patterns.

Here is the link to the lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3139974

Here are some exterior screenshots:
    10513194.jpg

For the interior, I chose a color palette of red, green, and gold with woven accents to highlight sweetgrass wicker which is characteristic of Charleston.

Many thanks for all of the lessons learned and support from you. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Okay I'm speechless. Well maybe not! I love this build. The exterior is perfectly Charming. I love the colour. The landscaping is well done. I like the use of the canon and the anchor. The interiors look lovely. The palette you chose looks well executed. I love the colour in the kitchen. I hope there is a fire alarm there. Did you choose not to put curtains in the kitchen? I love the bar with the columns on either end. The dining room looks very elegant and the bedroom looks very luxurious. I see in the bathroom you have added bubble bath. :thumbup: I'm thinking too that you used the alt key while placing the tub. Your faucets all match. :thumbup: The kids room looks like a fun pace to be. The games room and the laundry look great. I love the big rock in the sculpting area. Looks like it might be next for the sculptor's chisel. The nectary and the martial arts training room are well done. Thank you for the labeled floor plan. :thumbup:

You have done very well with this one. I've rec'd and downloaded. I want this one in my game. You have a great day too!

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thank you so much for your thoughts and feedback. I appreciate your advice on creating a labeled and cropped floorplan--I think it's a lot easier to understand. I did opt out for curtains in the kitchen because I thought it was getting too "busy" in there, but maybe I could have used some really simple ones. It was the first room I designed for this lot, and I got pretty "busy" on the subsequent rooms. :) It's probably good to revisit rooms already decorated to make little adjustments here and there. And this was the first time I put the fire alarm a slight distance from the stove but still in the same room. I assume it still works, but I haven't had any flames to test it out yet! I very much appreciate your support and advice.

Take care,
    Bill
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thank you so much for your thoughts and feedback. I appreciate your advice on creating a labeled and cropped floorplan--I think it's a lot easier to understand. I did opt out for curtains in the kitchen because I thought it was getting too "busy" in there, but maybe I could have used some really simple ones. It was the first room I designed for this lot, and I got pretty "busy" on the subsequent rooms. :) It's probably good to revisit rooms already decorated to make little adjustments here and there. And this was the first time I put the fire alarm a slight distance from the stove but still in the same room. I assume it still works, but I haven't had any flames to test it out yet! I very much appreciate your support and advice.

Take care,
    Bill

You are welcome. I always recommend, when you think you're finished to put walls up and go into 'Cameraman Mode' and do a 'tour' of the house. Inside and out. This way you will see things you might normally miss when looking down from above or working with walls down. Your fire alarm will work as long as it is in the same room. Remember to add one in rooms with fireplaces, the inventing table and now I hear the sculpting table as well.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top