Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,853 Member
    edited February 21
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    The gap between March and July was also my concern, glad it was answered. I just hope html is beginner/user friendly

I got the hang of the AHQ forums in no time. I still much prefer the BBCode forums, it's natural and second nature to us by now, but it's relatively easy to get the hang of the basics of HTML. The biggest difference for me was needing to remind myself not to go to and copy the BBCode image tags in Imgur. The option right above BB in Imgur is HTML so it's just a matter of overriding muscle memory and getting the right codes. Another way of putting it, right now AHQ is better than the dark days of the Rich Text experiment. Sorry @EA_Cade, you meant well and we still love you.😁🥰

I'll add this little bit, if you think the emojis here are bad and the options are limited...you haven't seen anything yet. Woof! The default EA emojis are straight out of the days when dinosaurs really did roam the earth. I hope the new forums will have emojis from the last 1000 years or so.😆

@DaniRose2143, You got that right about the emojis...lol. When I'm using my tablet to make a post over on the AHQ site, I will use the emojis that's on my on-screen keyboard instead of what they provide for us over there... :)

I never tried using the native emojis from my Safari browser. I don't use the forum emojis here I use my Safari ones, but for some reason I just thought AHQ wouldn't recognize mine so I used theirs. That's how prehistoric the EA emojis are. I didn't think the software would even recognize mine.🤣

I mean if you haven't seen how bad the AHQ emojis are you owe to yourself to check them out just for the sheer morbid curiosity factor.🤣
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,434 Member
    @DaniRose2143 Thats good to hear! Grabbing the right code will probably be something to get used too 😆 didn't even realize there was an html one until you mentioned it. Had to go and check
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,660 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    The gap between March and July was also my concern, glad it was answered. I just hope html is beginner/user friendly

I got the hang of the AHQ forums in no time. I still much prefer the BBCode forums, it's natural and second nature to us by now, but it's relatively easy to get the hang of the basics of HTML. The biggest difference for me was needing to remind myself not to go to and copy the BBCode image tags in Imgur. The option right above BB in Imgur is HTML so it's just a matter of overriding muscle memory and getting the right codes. Another way of putting it, right now AHQ is better than the dark days of the Rich Text experiment. Sorry @EA_Cade, you meant well and we still love you.😁🥰

I'll add this little bit, if you think the emojis here are bad and the options are limited...you haven't seen anything yet. Woof! The default EA emojis are straight out of the days when dinosaurs really did roam the earth. I hope the new forums will have emojis from the last 1000 years or so.😆

@DaniRose2143, You got that right about the emojis...lol. When I'm using my tablet to make a post over on the AHQ site, I will use the emojis that's on my on-screen keyboard instead of what they provide for us over there... :)

Noted! I have my touch keyboard on my laptop for that occasion!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member
    @EA_Cade, forgive me if this has been answered and I just missed it... but will there be an overlap period between when the new forums go live and the current forums are shut down?
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    @EA_Cade, forgive me if this has been answered and I just missed it... but will there be an overlap period between when the new forums go live and the current forums are shut down?

The goal is to have the new EA forums up and running by the time these forums are no longer accessible.

Should that change, you'll hear it from me as soon as I find out.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,450 Member
    Not sure if this was asked & I just missed it, but @EA_Cade if a thread (ex: what happened in your game) was started before Oct 2022 but has posts after that date will it be migrated? Thanks 🙂.
  • Options
    Starfree wrote: »
    Not sure if this was asked & I just missed it, but @EA_Cade if a thread (ex: what happened in your game) was started before Oct 2022 but has posts after that date will it be migrated? Thanks 🙂.

Threads created before Oct 2022 would need to be nominated here so we can ensure it moves (assuming the poster has an AHQ account as well).
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited February 21
    EA_Cade wrote: »

Threads created before Oct 2022 would need to be nominated here so we can ensure it moves (assuming the poster has an AHQ account as well).

@EA_Cade So how can we know then if the users have AHQ accounts? I'm concerned about some old users on here may have never had a matching email to AHQ or even been to AHQ if they've never went to report any bugs or knew how to. Is there some kind of user search on AHQ so that we could gauge if they might have a matching or similar username at least between the two?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options

@EA_Cade So how can we know then if the users have AHQ accounts? I'm concerned about some old users on here may have never had a matching email to AHQ or even been to AHQ if they've never went to report any bugs or knew how to. Is there some kind of user search on AHQ so that we could gauge if they might have a matching or similar username at least between the two?

This is something I'm afraid I don't have a happy answer on. For obvious reasons I can't share any of another user's information with you, which includes telling you if they do or don't have an AHQ account. But what I CAN say is that almost everyone I've checked in the nominations thread has had an AHQ account.
  • Options
    Hey all,

We've launched a short survey here if you would like to share feedback on the upcoming EA forums :)
  • Options
    Another way of putting it, right now AHQ is better than the dark days of the Rich Text experiment. Sorry @EA_Cade, you meant well and we still love you.😁🥰

The year is 2039, I startle awake drenched in cold sweat, the screaming echoes of "Rich Text Format" resonating fresh in my head.

"Must be Tuesday" I mutter, and fall back asleep.
  • Options
    CaerfinonCaerfinon Posts: 633 Member
    "Must be Tuesday"

The struggle is real...
    Cheers
    C.
    Traits: 🐶Dog Lover, 🎨Creative, 😑Loner
    Social Media: 🐘@caerfinon@mastodon.social | My Stories: 🤷🏻🐕 Simmer Tales a comic look at Sims 4 | 🌐A Sim's Life - Comic observations
    My CC: 🎨 Jac related CAS and Build CC | 🖼️ Film Noir Wall Decorations | 👩🎨Pauline King Art
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    edited February 21
    crinrict wrote: »

I really hope they let everyone at least have custom avatars at the new forums cause it's so hard to distinguish between users when they all have the same avatar.

:D

I think having custom avatars is important to keep things feeling less impersonal and more like a community. I really do hope we have the option to turn off or limit the size of image signatures, though. I always have them off because, 1. They can be visually triggering for migraines, etc, and 2. They’re so darn big sometimes that it takes forever to scroll past them. Let’s do signs. Not billboards.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I have signatures off also. My biggest gripe is prolific posters with huge signature pics. So I'm praying we can turn them off on the new forum.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    I have signatures off also. My biggest gripe is prolific posters with huge signature pics. So I'm praying we can turn them off on the new forum.

Shame we have to turn them all off.

I'd be in favor of limiting the size of signatures. A signature to me is just a name and maybe a couple ways to contact, a couple lines of text at the most. Or is that just my old-fart side showing through?
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    one of the best things of being on mobile
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @EA_Lanna "Which games" is still not multiple-choice.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 21

I think it would be good to have section on our profile page where we could add story links, little banners, gallery ID and such instead

I have small signature myself for linking things but I just couldn't do anything fancy as I know it would annoy me myself to have unrelated pictures between my story posts
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,853 Member
    edited February 21
    Another way of putting it, right now AHQ is better than the dark days of the Rich Text experiment. Sorry @EA_Cade, you meant well and we still love you.😁🥰

The year is 2039, I startle awake drenched in cold sweat, the screaming echoes of "Rich Text Format" resonating fresh in my head.

"Must be Tuesday" I mutter, and fall back asleep.

I look at it like this, your heart was in the right place and you wanted to give us the best experience possible. It didn't work out and you fixed it and it just turned into something we can look back on now and laugh about.😁

Thank you again for all the hard work you and the rest of the staff are doing, have done, and will do to give us a newer better home.❤️
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    JustMeAlb wrote: »

Shame we have to turn them all off.

I'd be in favor of limiting the size of signatures. A signature to me is just a name and maybe a couple ways to contact, a couple lines of text at the most. Or is that just my old-fart side showing through?

There are many members here who have enormous images or sparkly .gifs in their signatures. The .gifs in particular get really annoying really fast, IMO. But maybe that's just my "old fart who was a teenage mod on a BBS in the early '90s" showing, lol.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 792 Member
    @EA_Cade

I would still have two little questions regarding the migration of the nominated old threads. If I understood correctly, all threads in this forum (included the ones nominated for migrations) will remain accessible and it will be possible to add new posts to them until the final shout-down, but all posts made after the March deadline will be lost. Is it correct?
    Also, I was wondering: the threads nominated for the migration will remain in the current new section dedicated to them, or will they be moved back to their original sections after the posts are copied around March 12th?

I'm asking because I'm still reasoning about whether to nominate some threads for migration or not, and also because I'd like to better visualise how the situation will be during the "to-be-forgotten" months between March and July.
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    @EA_Cade If I understood correctly, all threads in this forum (included the ones nominated for migrations) will remain accessible and it will be possible to add new posts to them until the final shout-down, but all posts made after the March deadline will be lost. Is it correct?

Absolutely correct.
    Also, I was wondering: the threads nominated for the migration will remain in the current new section dedicated to them, or will they be moved back to their original sections after the posts are copied around March 12th?

I'm asking because I'm still reasoning about whether to nominate some threads for migration or not, and also because I'd like to better visualise how the situation will be during the "to-be-forgotten" months between March and July.

They will remain in the new section until the forum closes.
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 792 Member
    Ok, thanks a lot @EA_Cade for the clarification :)
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,660 Member
    @EA_Cade
    My user name on AHQ is an old one I haven't used in years (Jayel-1) I went in to change it to February11 it told me February11 was already registered. Rosemow mentioned that maybe another poster has used February11 but in the bottom part where it says "game specific identities" it says The Sims - February 11
    So I can't understand why I can't change it there.
    But, the question is, when the new EA forum gets up and running and everything is transferred, will I be Jayel-1 or February11?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    911TruthBear911TruthBear Posts: 626 Member
    Wow, I just earned my 8-year badge here and now I have to turn it in??? Oh well, If it better serves the community by starting over, then so be it!