Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member

Thank you @rosemow
  • Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,393 Member
    So many of them feel like trying to have a conversation in the middle of a rock concert. Thousands of individual conversations all happening at the same time in the same place at full volume. Here, even in a hectic thread like the live stream reactions you feel like you can isolate conversations in the middle of the chaos and talk and interact normally. And I've never seen any place on the internet that is as civil as this. X in particular feels super toxic most of the time but this is our little oasis of calm.
    It is very precisely expressed when you compare conversations on most other social media, like having a conversation during a rock concert.
    All conversations are fleeting and hard to follow. You might get a quick answer on X if you're lucky enough that someone even notices you exist. (They won't unless you have a lot of followers.)
    I love a Forum like this because it is easy to navigate and there is time to reflect before the conversation, at full speed, has moved somewhere else. I also love that it is possible to gather common knowledge in a thread that you can return to later.
    I am very grateful that we are even offered a migrate of what is important to the users.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,952 Member
    So many of them feel like trying to have a conversation in the middle of a rock concert. Thousands of individual conversations all happening at the same time in the same place at full volume. Here, even in a hectic thread like the live stream reactions you feel like you can isolate conversations in the middle of the chaos and talk and interact normally. And I've never seen any place on the internet that is as civil as this. X in particular feels super toxic most of the time but this is our little oasis of calm.
    It is very precisely expressed when you compare conversations on most other social media, like having a conversation during a rock concert.
    All conversations are fleeting and hard to follow. You might get a quick answer on X if you're lucky enough that someone even notices you exist. (They won't unless you have a lot of followers.)
    I love a Forum like this because it is easy to navigate and there is time to reflect before the conversation, at full speed, has moved somewhere else. I also love that it is possible to gather common knowledge in a thread that you can return to later.
    I am very grateful that we are even offered a migrate of what is important to the users.

I love how @EA_Cade and everyone else involved allowed us to pick out what's important to us instead of choosing themselves or simply saying we're starting over from a blank slate. We get to a have a voice which is so awesome.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I have returned from a 2 year hiatus because of this news; thought I'd never come back yet here we are. I kind of have mixed feelings about these forums finally shutting down. For one, some sad and personal things went down here with me that can never be taken back. On the other, I spent a significant portion of my life glued here (from Fall 2017-Winter 2019) that I'll never get back either, but there's a lot of good things that came about too. I even went down memory lane again looking for some faved threads to suggest later. It is a shame to see this forum go though, but I guess it was inevitable right? The forum's like, more than 10 years old by this point? A migration to EA's core apps was bound to happen eventually it seems...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,104 Member
    I'm always curious of change but understand why change has to happen. I know quite a few of you enjoy reading about my sim self and his family. I hope the new place has BB code, I wasn't too fond of the short time this forum had a rich text editor.
  • Options
    Brd709 wrote: »
    I'm always curious of change but understand why change has to happen. I know quite a few of you enjoy reading about my sim self and his family. I hope the new place has BB code, I wasn't too fond of the short time this forum had a rich text editor.

Even though we're moving to a new forum home those 48-72 hours will live on in Sims Forum lore.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,989 Member
    edited February 18
    @Brd709 No BBCode for new forums unfortunately
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Will the new forum support BBCode?
    It will not. It supports markdown in rich text editor. However, all content posted in BBCode will be properly transitioned and migrated to the new forums site so that it is formatted properly.
    I think we didn't have markdown last time just rich text
    so eh will have to see if it works and how it works

I hope we get tutorial thread on how to use new formatting when the new forums go live
    cause there is bound to be some confusion as to how it works
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited February 18

I hope everybody gets to keep their names. I would go as far as saying for more than a few members there's a personal connection of some sort or to some degree behind the name. The names go beyond just a way to know who each other are. I think it would a wonderful gesture if members who can't keep their usernames from this forum would put their old names from this forum in their signature for a few weeks or months until we all get used to the new ones. I've seen members do that over time when they've had @EA_Cade change their names on this forum. I probably don't have to say it but a little reminder doesn't hurt. Does it?😁

This is a great idea. Maybe we could also combine it with @Simmerville's comment about how long we've been on the forums: we could all do a signature that says something like "(username) on the original TS4 forum since (Month)(Year)."
  • Options
    Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,999 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    Me1620 wrote: »
    As I posted earlier, I am copying content from threads. Some contain links with URLs opening to the original sims 3 forum. You may try to follow a link a get a "page not found" message. Many of you may already know this, but I thought I would share.

For example "http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/499348.page"target="_blank" won't open. To open the page in the current forum, I convert the URL by appending the thread number to

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/499348

If the link includes a page number to a specific post, I have not figured out how to get to the specific post. However, at least you will get to the thread and you can search for the post in the thread.

Edit to add: I just figured out how to get to a specific post rather than simply page 1 of the thread
    To find "page 11779281" such as in this example http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/740702.page#11779281"target="_blank

enter the page number into the comment URL

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/11779281/#Comment_11779281

@Me1620 - YOU are AWESOME!!! I SO NEEDed this!

@Ciane - I am so glad that you will find this helpful. It comes in handy copying the older threads and posts that will not be migrated
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I'm stuck with being AncientMuse2 on both the gallery and AHQ, as has been the case all these years.

I worry that my fellow forum simmers won't know it's really me..... *heavy sigh*

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    I'm stuck with being AncientMuse2 on both the gallery and AHQ, as has been the case all these years.

I worry that my fellow forum simmers won't know it's really me..... *heavy sigh*

Oh no. This is the kind of scenario I was thinking of. Maybe create another signature on the new forum with your forum name from here in it? Or I know your profile picture in an instant. One of a kind profile pics, signature pics even, are another good way for us all to remember each other and recognize each other on the new forum.
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »

I hope everybody gets to keep their names. I would go as far as saying for more than a few members there's a personal connection of some sort or to some degree behind the name. The names go beyond just a way to know who each other are. I think it would a wonderful gesture if members who can't keep their usernames from this forum would put their old names from this forum in their signature for a few weeks or months until we all get used to the new ones. I've seen members do that over time when they've had @EA_Cade change their names on this forum. I probably don't have to say it but a little reminder doesn't hurt. Does it?😁

This is a great idea. Maybe we could also combine it with @Simmerville's comment about how long we've been on the forums: we could all do a signature that says something like "(username) on the original TS4 forum since (Month)(Year)."

This is another good idea.🙂
  • Options
    edited February 18
    I just went to have a look to make sure my AHQ name is the same as this one and thankfully it is. I did notice however we're going to have issues for a while starting out. Unless we're already posting over there, which I can't find a way to jump into the conversations that are already ongoing in the Sims 4 section, we're all newbies again. Is there no way to bring our levels, or ranks, or whatever you want to call them over with us? That would help the people who have to start over with a new name. They would be able to hit the ground running and post a profile picture or signature so that we can know who they were over here. If we can't, we can't but it's going to be a chaos for a while until every body can get leveled up.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

Oh no. This is the kind of scenario I was thinking of. Maybe create another signature on the new forum with your forum name from here in it? Or I know your profile picture in an instant. One of a kind profile pics, signature pics even, are another good way for us all to remember each other and recognize each other on the new forum.

Forgive me if I hadn't looked through the rest of the thread but, this new forum allows us to have signatures under our posts and lets us use our own images for avatars? If it's connected to AHQ and EA account, then won't it just use the default gallery of images we have to pick from on AHQ?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    edited February 18

Forgive me if I hadn't looked through the rest of the thread but, this new forum allows us to have signatures under our posts and lets us use our own images for avatars? If it's connected to AHQ and EA account, then won't it just use the default gallery of images we have to pick from on AHQ?

From what I could see there’s no option for custom profile pictures right out of the box on AHQ. My custom profile picture on my EA account doesn’t show next to my name and all I can see are generic pictures. I’m guessing right now that unless you’re over on AHQ racking up points in one of the other games you are going to start out as a newbie on the new forum. I’ll admit I’m a bit confused since AHQ isn’t the new forum but there’s a Sims section that I can’t find a way to interact on.

I just went over there to double check whether or not my current name is the one I will still have after the move and now I’m terribly confused.🤣 I’m so confused I’m no longer sure my name will transfer over.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,614 Member
    edited February 18

From what I could see there’s no option for custom profile pictures right out of the box on AHQ. My custom profile picture on my EA account doesn’t show next to my name and all I can see are generic pictures. I’m guessing right now that unless you’re over on AHQ racking up points in one of the other games you are going to start out as a newbie on the new forum. I’ll admit I’m a bit confused since AHQ isn’t the new forum but there’s a Sims section that I can’t find a way to interact on.

I just went over there to double check whether or not my current name is the one I will still have after the move and now I’m terribly confused.🤣 I’m so confused I’m no longer sure my name will transfer over.

Your same name will transfer over if it is the same as your AHQ name @DaniRose2143

I have started an thread on AHQ in the sims 4 General Discussuon section, for simmers that may like to introduce themselves there
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Hello-Come-and-introduce-yourself/td-p/13495126

There is also a creative corner section of AHQ EA that you may like to post on
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Creative-Corner/ct-p/the-sims-4-creative-en
  • Options
    @rosemow Thank you so much. When my EA account avatar didn't show up it made me start wondering if something was wrong. I somehow got it in my head that those two would be linked together.😁
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Wow...I take a break from the forum for a while and come back to this news.

I'll freely admit that my first reaction was overwhelmingly negative. I like this place. It's like a favorite park or coffee shop or restaurant. Even if I don't visit it every day I enjoy knowing it's here, and I know I'll be back. And I know I'll have a good time when I visit.

My history on this forum is very short, compared to many of you. I discovered it in June 2021. I wish I had found it earlier in the pandemic, because I quickly discovered that the connection I established here was healthy for me, during a very stressful period. I've enjoyed interacting with a number of you here.

My "real life" family has bonded over this forum, too. My daughter and I began sharing The Sims during the pandemic, too. Z and I have spent quite a few very enjoyable hours reading it together, and she's been sitting beside me while I've written hundreds of posts here, including this one. My wife finds it "adorable" and "heartwarming" that her husband and our daughter will sit on the couch and laugh together over a forum post. It's part of my family's history now.

I've visited the "new" forum now, and I'm feeling better about the move. The new forum home will be what we decide to make it. If we want to create the same kind of friendly, warm, inclusive community there, we can. I'd really like to see that happen. There are far too few places online that feel that way.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,190 Member
    @DaniRose2143 there is someone with this name there? Is it you?
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • Options
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    @DaniRose2143 there is someone with this name there? Is it you?

That's me. I somehow got confused and thought if my AHQ account had been set up I would see my EA Account avatar. When I didn't I got all discombobulated.😊 Thankfully @rosemow came to my rescue.🛟😁
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    Wow...I take a break from the forum for a while and come back to this news.

I'll freely admit that my first reaction was overwhelmingly negative. I like this place. It's like a favorite park or coffee shop or restaurant. Even if I don't visit it every day I enjoy knowing it's here, and I know I'll be back. And I know I'll have a good time when I visit.

My history on this forum is very short, compared to many of you. I discovered it in June 2021. I wish I had found it earlier in the pandemic, because I quickly discovered that the connection I established here was healthy for me, during a very stressful period. I've enjoyed interacting with a number of you here.

My "real life" family has bonded over this forum, too. My daughter and I began sharing The Sims during the pandemic, too. Z and I have spent quite a few very enjoyable hours reading it together, and she's been sitting beside me while I've written hundreds of posts here, including this one. My wife finds it "adorable" and "heartwarming" that her husband and our daughter will sit on the couch and laugh together over a forum post. It's part of my family's history now.

I've visited the "new" forum now, and I'm feeling better about the move. The new forum home will be what we decide to make it. If we want to create the same kind of friendly, warm, inclusive community there, we can. I'd really like to see that happen. There are far too few places online that feel that way.
    Welcome back, @MoonlightGraham :)

I haven't posted in this thread yet because mainly I was trying to sort through my feelings and emotions about it. I'm not happy mainly because I really, really hate change, and at my age I dread the idea of getting used to something new. AHQ isn't completely new to me as I have posted over there asking for help, but I really don't care for it. My main hope is that our avatars will transfer over eventually, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I will not know who is who without the avatars that I'm used to.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    Welcome back, @MoonlightGraham :)

I haven't posted in this thread yet because mainly I was trying to sort through my feelings and emotions about it. I'm not happy mainly because I really, really hate change, and at my age I dread the idea of getting used to something new. AHQ isn't completely new to me as I have posted over there asking for help, but I really don't care for it. My main hope is that our avatars will transfer over eventually, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I will not know who is who without the avatars that I'm used to.

Thanks, @FatTribble23. I hope the avatars transfer, too. Like you, I recognize quite a few of you from your avatars. I would do fairly well on a quiz that asked me to match avatars from the forum to the members who created them. I might not get the user handle exactly right (I wouldn't have remembered the "23" in yours) but I'd know who was who. :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    It's so wonderful seeing you back @MoonlightGraham. I hope everything is going good for you and the family.🙂
  • Options
    It's so wonderful seeing you back @MoonlightGraham. I hope everything is going good for you and the family.🙂

Thanks, @DaniRose2143! It's great to be back. We're doing well. If I were a Sim, my Plumbob would be green right now. Connecting with some of y'all on the forum today has my Social need bar nearly full. My Hunger bar is about to turn yellow, but that's nothing dinner won't fix.

This is precisely the sense of warmth and connection I'm talking about.

Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,934 Member
    I tend to agree, some social media sites just feel too daunting to build a sense of community.

So many of them feel like trying to have a conversation in the middle of a rock concert. Thousands of individual conversations all happening at the same time in the same place at full volume. Here, even in a hectic thread like the live stream reactions you feel like you can isolate conversations in the middle of the chaos and talk and interact normally. And I've never seen any place on the internet that is as civil as this. X in particular feels super toxic most of the time but this is our little oasis of calm.[/quote]

@DaniRose2143 exactly!!! perfectly said
    @MoonlightGraham Hi!