Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art of Sims Storytelling

Comments

• Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,771 Member
    @Lucy_Henley What poses are you after? I can see if I can hunt them down. If I don't get back to you though assume I didn't find any.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,972 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @Lucy_Henley What poses are you after? I can see if I can hunt them down. If I don't get back to you though assume I didn't find any.

I was thinking of hospital poses where the person is just sleeping in a flat bed. Most I can find involve the bed being tilted upright a bit, or with the person noticeably awake, or sitting up etc. I do quite like the new idea I've got in my head, so I'm not desperate for them! But maybe they'd be useful for something else in the future. If you can't find any, please don't worry!
  • Options
    edited January 30
    Ah, I see we share a struggle there. I tried to find similar for my own story for historical reasons, and failed miserably. XC I'll keep my eye out though. I had a dig through my own pose packs but all my poses along those lines are friends or couples tending to one another when sad so nowhere close.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Would it be possible to take another pose/animation and just rotate and/or elevate it with Wonderful Whims? It's not the cleanest solution but may provide decent screenshots from certain angles.
  • Options
    @haneul I still consider myself a relative newbie when it comes to posing so it's probably easier for me to stick with my new idea. But thanks for the suggestion anyway! I don't have Wonderful Whims either. I could definitely look into it (your solution, specifically) for future reference.
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    It's the end of January already? Where has the time gone? I thought I'd pose a question to round out the month - I don't think I've been here since the 1st but I'm really enjoying it <3

Do you encounter characters you would love to do a spin-off series for and if so what do you do? I have so many characters in Evergreen that I would have loved to have taken off on their own adventures but never worked out how I would do so, luckily I have them saved in the bin for a rainy day!
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 31
    Do you encounter characters you would love to do a spin-off series for and if so what do you do?

Omg what an amazing question! because this is exactly how the Magic Universe got as broad as it did! 3 out of 4 stories in that universe are spin offs where I want to expand on a certain character. One story expanded on Morgyn, the premade magic Sage, and the other spin off is about Aine, their predecessor, and then the OTHER spin off was about one of the side characters who I’d come up with a wild history for him and his family based on the thing his name was based on… Sometimes I don’t always do stories for these characters, sometimes I’ll give characters side chapters to cover more of their story or backstory. All of my readers know that side characters ALWAYS take over the story and that I want to go in depth on every single character. XD

I’d say if you don’t want to do a whole story for a character could always do a side chapter for them!

There is one character who is currently taking over because all of the others have mostly defined ‘sides’ in terms of the conflict in the story, but as a medical professional and for other reasons, mainly having to hide his magic and behave so he doesn’t become a target of the witch hunt - he has to have more of an impartiality about him.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,381 Member
    @lizzielilyy
    Do you encounter characters you would love to do a spin-off series for and if so what do you do?

As a @SnowBnuuy I will say that it happens to me all the time. Several of these characters have spoken so much to me that they could almost take over the entire story if I let them. I have included several of these characters in my story and I think they help create a counterplay that benefits the main character. It is a balancing act to maintain an overview, so that the incorporated characters do not grow to a number that makes it unmanageable for the reader to accommodate. I don't know if there is a limit point when it comes to the number of characters in a story?

I love your comment about saving your excess characters in the bin for a rainy day. Nice expression <3
    It is a statement that I can easily recognize. I think that means you will never run out of material and inspiration.
    Several of my side characters are bachelor candidates from the bin, which I find exciting to give life to in my own stories.
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    @MonaSolstraale
    Oh, that's definitely less overwhelming with the chapters! I can work on catching up with a handful of chapters for part 4 :)

And thanks for checking out my story :)
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    It's the end of January already? Where has the time gone? I thought I'd pose a question to round out the month - I don't think I've been here since the 1st but I'm really enjoying it <3

Do you encounter characters you would love to do a spin-off series for and if so what do you do? I have so many characters in Evergreen that I would have loved to have taken off on their own adventures but never worked out how I would do so, luckily I have them saved in the bin for a rainy day!

Yes, and I've taken steps to do such a thing with my Cornelius character, who's getting his own spin-off story soon. In other instances I've taken interesting side NPC's and elevated them into main characters. With Sim 66 being in a soap opera format it's easier to incorporate different sims' stories into the main one but Cornelius was chosen for a spin-off so I could pursue more paranormal tales in the world of Sim 66.

• Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 794 Member

Uhm, I would say that all the projects I worked with up to now make it hard to think about spin-offs. Now I'm posting a legacy here, and I tend to intend legacies as quite linear stories. I mean, the sims normal lifespan is quite short already, if I started to focus on too many characters per generation there would just not be enough time to build a significant storyline for them all. Some now and then I wrote extra chapters focused on characters not belonging to the main family line, most often those chapters are taken from a copy of the save where I'm less strict with the legacy limitations.

With my previous stories instead, I usually had a quite detailed plan of the story up to the very end since the very beginning, and so I usually like the ending I have in mind I tend to go straight towards it, focusing on the initially planned characters, and without many deviations. I often add extra chapters focusing on the bio of some side character, though.
    Also, once a story was finished, I sometimes made a sequel focusing on some different character, usually it was some younger relative of the previous protagonists after a time skip.
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member

There have been plenty throughout Part one of Chronicles (ancient as that story is now). But to be more accurate, they aren't so much spinoffs as they were "limelight" episodes or larger than expected roles:
    Sagebear was originally just going to be the family pet throughout the story that would act as a sort of mascot/mood reader (i.e. react accordingly to the situation at hand). Of course, she ended up being one of the more significant characters in the story. So, were I to have made a spinoff, she'd be the obvious protagonist.

As for limelight, Arc 6 is a combination of "the family's all together now, better make them do stuff" and "I should try to give Marc some more prominence" since at that point, it felt like he wasn't really a 'main' character, more of a supporting player/occasional butt of the joke. Hence why there seems to be more of a focus on Marc in Arc 6, and why he's the one to call out the antagonist of that Arc.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited February 1
    @SnowBnuuy that is so cool how that happened with your characters. I resonate with wanting to go into depth with characters and I think I'd love to explore storylines from certain points like Cece and Dixon on their travels with World Adventures in Gen 2- I can only imagine the mischief they got up to :joy: Your character sounds so intriguing and definitely worth the spotlight!

@MonaSolstraale I completely get that and I agree it's hard to strike the perfect balance but then I think of series like Game of Thrones that have a multitude of storylines happening in various environments simultaneously and think maybe the limit doesn't exist? :joy:
    I love your comment about saving your excess characters in the bin for a rainy day. Nice expression <3
    It is a statement that I can easily recognize. I think that means you will never run out of material and inspiration.
    Several of my side characters are bachelor candidates from the bin, which I find exciting to give life to in my own stories.

Thank you! I agree, the material and inspiration are never ending!

@Kellogg_J_Kellogg I like the idea of bringing in NPC's! I think it's useful to use spinoffs to create space for themes and stories that deserve their own spotlight, like you mentioned with paranormal tales and I think about the pack-specific stuff from each generation of Evergreen that got left out or diverted from.

@HermioneSims This is just how I feel playing and writing a legacy, there's not enough time or space to cover everybody! I like the idea of writing extra chapters and I started to keep a "Scrapbook" folder on my computer of screenshots I loved but couldn't find the space for. Unfortunately I only just realised my recycle bin empties itself if I overstuff it so I've lost thousands of bloopers from Gens I-VI without even realising.

I am very similar in having a very detailed plan and heading right at it without deviating. A sequel sounds like a really good idea!

@rednenemon I like that differentiation between limelight and spinoff - it's useful to consider which is the right kind of coverage and it sounds like you got it spot on!

Thank you everyone for your responses, my favourite thing about being here is learning about your processes and hearing the behind-the-scenes of your stories!!

Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I have a few characters from The Chrysanthemum Tango -story that I've put as cameos in my Forget-Me-Not story. It's kinda the opposite of spin-off since the cameo characters are main characters in their original story.

I would say that part of my contribution to the Pen Pal Project that was going on here on the forums some years ago could be considered a spin-off starring Emily, who was an important but relatively minor character in Tango. It was a lot of fun and I was glad to explore her more. A lot of my minor characters have backstories/current lives that don't properly get introduced in the main story because I feel like it wouldn't fit the pacing, so it would be fun to do maybe at least oneshot-stories about them.

@rednenemon Sagebear would definitely be an awesome spin-off protagonist!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    Given the news about the forums closing down, I'm probably not going to start the royal story until we have the new forum up and running; I don't want to start posting a new story only for some of it to not be moved over. It won't be open till July, so several months away. I'm nearly at the "starting point" for the story in my actual game, as in the point when I'll start taking screenshots. I'll probably play my other saves in the meantime, and maybe some "side-saves" to create characters who'll become important in the story (mainly future spouses and close friends of the royals).
  • Options
    I'm a bit torn on whether to nominate my own story threads listed before October 2022 or just let them be deleted.
    What do you plan to do in connection with moving to a new Forum?

I think it's hard to imagine what it will be like. When I look at other game forums under EA Forums, they look similar to Answers HQ in layout.
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 794 Member
    @MonaSolstraale , I think I understand your worries, I'm from a place where the official forum in the local language was closed as well, and I saw a lot of other forums being basically slowly abandoned by their users. Hearing that the forum where we spent so much time in the last years is about to be replaced is reminiscent of quite bad moments, isn't it?

I think that those previous experiences with forums were also the reason why I decided to put my stories on a blog this time, objectively making a sims story takes a lot of time and I wanted to be the one who decides for how long it is remaining online, and everything else!
    Consequently, the thread I have here on the forum isn't that important. I mean, all the comments are a lot of good memories of these years, but it's not the same as losing chapters, isn't it?
    As I wrote in my legacy thread earlier tonight, I plan to keep a copy of the comments for myself, to keep using that thread until this forum will be closed, and then to open a new equivalent one on the new forum.
    Migrating the thread for me wouldn't make a huge difference, but for the moment the way they are already moving the selected thread to the new section and the fact that the comments posted between March and July won't be migrated anyway, are leaving me a bit puzzled.

I've very little experience with the HQ forum instead, is it really that bad?
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    edited February 13
    Just as a heads-up to other readers, all archived comments for Divided are here and the original forum thread has been hidden now by an admin at my request. (I have kept all story-relevant comments. This took hours, so I decided not to keep the more general comments and my general unelaborated 'thank you for commenting as always's and kept the ones with the ones about specific characters or plot points, long and short, for my sanity otherwise I'd have been there for even more hours than I was there for.

You can either follow the blog using Wordpress, or check the blog every 1-3 weeks.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @HermioneSims Our Danish forum was closed in the summer of 2018. It was at that time that I decided to buy a domain and create a website. In that way, our story is quite similar. I'm in a flashback mode now 😒
    I helped set up a small Danish private forum, but the vast majority of my contacts disappeared.
    It has taken years to find a new network here and that is probably what worries me the most. As well as losing the knowledge bank where I constantly get inspiration and solutions.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    Given the news about the forums closing down, I'm probably not going to start the royal story until we have the new forum up and running; I don't want to start posting a new story only for some of it to not be moved over. It won't be open till July, so several months away. I'm nearly at the "starting point" for the story in my actual game, as in the point when I'll start taking screenshots. I'll probably play my other saves in the meantime, and maybe some "side-saves" to create characters who'll become important in the story (mainly future spouses and close friends of the royals).

anything posted after October 2022 will be moved over that's what It seems according to the annocument
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    My legacy thread was created in November 2022, so it should automatically be migrated to the new forums. I intend to continue posting as usual. When the new forums open, I'll try to patch up any significant gaps created by new posts in my thread between March and July. I keep the main body of my story on my website, so I think I shouldn't have that many problems. I'm sorry for those who are majorly disrupted by this.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,357 Member
    This really has been sudden and shocking news for all of us. But I'm hoping the community will stick together even so.

I've been giving it a lot of thought, and I think I am also leaning toward the same plan as @HermioneSims . My actual story is housed on its own website, a decision that I am super thankful I made back at the beginning, even though setting that up was a huge learning curve for me. So the actual content will be safe and sound.

I only have a thread on this forum for announcing updates and news, and for readers to post comment on if they don't want to comment on the blog itself. I'm in the process of copying over all the comments on that thread for my own records. Since Season One will be ending in April, I think I will just finish this season using the thread on this forum (my understanding is that we can still post here until July). Then (after I back up the remainder of comments) I'll just let the thread die with this forum. I will need to take a rather lengthy hiatus anyway because Season Two isn't ready. Once I'm ready to start posting again, I'll make a new announcement thread on the new forum. It will have a link to Season One for any new readers, and continue on with chapter announcements as I post them.

I too am apprehensive what the new forum will be like. I hope it is easy to use with a nice interface for posting and viewing screenshots, since that is the main thing I do here besides simlit. And I'm also concerned what the community will feel like there, whether enough of the old crowd will still choose to make the move or not. It's definitely the people that make a forum feel the way it does. I nominated this thread (along with a few others) to be moved to the new forum. But I don't know if the person who started the thread is still around, so I'm not sure if it'll make it. If it doesn't I hope we all get together again and start a new one. The kindness and enthusiasm of writers on this thread are very much what gave me the courage to start sharing my story in the first place.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    This really has been sudden and shocking news for all of us. But I'm hoping the community will stick together even so.

I've been giving it a lot of thought, and I think I am also leaning toward the same plan as @HermioneSims . My actual story is housed on its own website, a decision that I am super thankful I made back at the beginning, even though setting that up was a huge learning curve for me. So the actual content will be safe and sound.

I only have a thread on this forum for announcing updates and news, and for readers to post comment on if they don't want to comment on the blog itself. I'm in the process of copying over all the comments on that thread for my own records. Since Season One will be ending in April, I think I will just finish this season using the thread on this forum (my understanding is that we can still post here until July). Then (after I back up the remainder of comments) I'll just let the thread die with this forum. I will need to take a rather lengthy hiatus anyway because Season Two isn't ready. Once I'm ready to start posting again, I'll make a new announcement thread on the new forum. It will have a link to Season One for any new readers, and continue on with chapter announcements as I post them.

I too am apprehensive what the new forum will be like. I hope it is easy to use with a nice interface for posting and viewing screenshots, since that is the main thing I do here besides simlit. And I'm also concerned what the community will feel like there, whether enough of the old crowd will still choose to make the move or not. It's definitely the people that make a forum feel the way it does. I nominated this thread (along with a few others) to be moved to the new forum. But I don't know if the person who started the thread is still around, so I'm not sure if it'll make it. If it doesn't I hope we all get together again and start a new one. The kindness and enthusiasm of writers on this thread are very much what gave me the courage to start sharing my story in the first place.

I'm the same way with Writer's Lounge
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    I nominated this thread (along with a few others) to be moved to the new forum. But I don't know if the person who started the thread is still around, so I'm not sure if it'll make it.

This is now moved to nominated threads section, so I think it's safe to think it is okay to be moved from OP's point of view.

Just assuming here :)

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    I'm another one who nominated this thread to be moved. It's really important to keep this thread alive for everyone, those of us commenting here and now and those who just haven't worked up the courage to or haven't discovered storytelling yet.

I went through a few different emotions when I saw the announcement. My thoughts at this point yesterday was to put Under The Tartosan Sun on hiatus until we had some more clarity on what our future home was going to look like. I can't believe it but the 2nd anniversary of the story is just a couple months away. It started in late April/early May of 2022 and quite a few key moments in the story were/are at risk. I have copies of every chapter including the BB Code tags for the screenshots saved to my computer so I can always post them again on the new forums, but I would have several chapters out of order. Chapters 21 through 44 would be migrated over automatically, but when I re-posted the first twenty they would appear after those. Quite confusing for any new readers and it would send my OCD through the roof.

My other thought was to reboot the story and take what I've learned as a writer and build it up, bigger and better than before. I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed after seeing the list of threads queued up to be migrated and seeing this one and my story both on the list. If my thread is fortunate enough to be migrated in full I'll get back to work on new chapters and just re-upload any of the new chapters that missed the cutoff to be included in the move. It's fortunate that my other story had already moved offsite to its own blog. If I had to do that with Tartosan Sun that was what got me thinking about a reboot. Moving forty-four chapters over to the blog and removing all of the BBCode wasn't exactly something I was looking forward to. I did it with Schemes and Dreams when it was only ten chapters long and I couldn't resist cleaning up the text and closing plot holes. It ended up taking a couple of weeks. If I did that with Tartosan Sun...I would light years ahead to just start over.

@MonaSolstraale I saw several people nominating their own threads and if you've put your heart and soul into I don't see a problem with wanting it to be preserved. I almost nominated my own but it had already received a couple of votes so I trusted that would be enough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top