Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Attention: Those who don't intend to buy a Sims 5 right away

Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
Hello, I've seen posts from many of you saying you don't intend to go out straight away and buy the next iteration of the Sims game. I am not going to argue against that. Take time to decide where to spend your money. What I am going to suggest is that you take your time buying the Sims 4 packs as well.

What I predict is going to happen is that they will release a number of expansions, packs, and kits in the coming year(s). Then they will release a trailer for whatever the fifth Sims game will be called. They will then drop Sims 4 like a bad egg and not make any more patches for it. The team looking at the error reports will shrink down and if there are any glitches in the final iteration, they won't be fixed. This is why I suggest you slow down and don't buy the packs when they first come out. Wait until the error reports come in and read up on how others say their game is running. Get them after you know there is nothing you can't live with, because you might have to.

I don't actually have psychic abilities here, though in some time you might suspect that I do, I've just seen this happen three times already. Each time EA gets a new version of the Sims, they drop the old one like a bad fish. I don't know how long it'll be until they release Project Rene, or whatever its final name will be. The clips from the Behind the Sims Lifestream looked like they were a good few years away, but I don't know how recent that was. It may have been old footage from a much earlier stage, because EA still doesn't want to share too much. And Life by You is releasing Early Access in September, so they may feel pressured to speed up.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

The Sims 5 will be free to play afaik -> see article on Sims Community

The errors in the packs were never that worse for me that I regretted to buy them and felt I should have waited.

And as sad as it is I don't think there is anything we can do to stop EA from dropping Sims 4 after Sims 5 is out.
    Project Rene already costed them a lot of money and they need income after release.
    So making it free to play increases the pressure on the team to make money with Sims 5.
    Imo there is no way they are going to waste any resources in Sims 4 anymore by then.
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Aw man. I can't afford to get a bunch of packs for another game lol. I would love to have Sims 5, don't get me wrong, but I also want to have the packs, I don't want to play just the base game.
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
    I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
    I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
  • Options
    MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I appreciate the concern. I have also been playing the sims since the original, over half my life it has been a major source of entertainment for me.

I'm going to wait to switch to sims 5 until it appeals to me more than the sims 4. My game runs with rarely a glitch now but I do remember the dumpster fire that sims 3 became towards the end so I understand your concern. I don't play with mods or cc and I have a great PC so I'm not super concerned but if it gets to that point certainly I will get more strict about the packs I choose to buy.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    The Sims 5 will be free to play afaik -> see article on Sims Community

The errors in the packs were never that worse for me that I regretted to buy them and felt I should have waited.

And as sad as it is I don't think there is anything we can do to stop EA from dropping Sims 4 after Sims 5 is out.
    Project Rene already costed them a lot of money and they need income after release.
    So making it free to play increases the pressure on the team to make money with Sims 5.
    Imo there is no way they are going to waste any resources in Sims 4 anymore by then.

It’s still incredibly early to tell if it’s free or not, regardless of the listing
  • Options
    ryouma17ryouma17 Posts: 49 Member
    sorry but i only buy the packs that i actually plan on using, i do not see the point in buying packs iam not gonna use just to try to get EA to keep updating the game.

also the sims 5 being free sounds horrible, they are just going to fill it with microtransactions this is why i stopped playing overwatch and if this turns out to be true then i will be playing life by you or paralives and not the sims 5
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I don't think it really matters whether we buy Sims 4 packs or not. When Project Rene/Sims 5 releases, eventually support for TS4 will end. It may be 6 months after release, or a year but it will end.

When TS4 came out, TS3's support ended shortly after. Sure you can still buy stuff from the Sims 3 store even today but there are still bugs in that game.

Simmers not buying Sims 4 packs will only make the game end faster. If there isn't any money coming in, there isn't any to spend on making packs.

I won't be buying Sims 5 on release because I'm still enjoying Sims 4. When Sims 4 came out I bought it on release and it sat on my computer collecting dust for months while I played Sims 3, because I didn't like it at first. I love it now, flaws and all.

I also don't want to sink a lot of money into another game, and play the waiting game for specific features. I was naive when I switched from TS3 to TS4, having only ever played TS3 at that time. I have 3 complete games on my computer, no need rush to Sims 5.

And if TS5 is in fact going to be free to play, with microtransactions (as @ryouma17 speculates), I won't be playing it at all. I'll either move onto Paralives, Life By You, or find something else to do with my time.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I dropped Sims 2 immediately to play Sims 3 because COLOR WHEEL, but Sims 4 took a loooong time to be playable for me. My daughter had to drag me kicking and screaming away from my potato-faced Sims with multi-color hair and coordinated furniture.

Sims 3 had a decent amount of content right away, even as a base game, but 4 was pretty sad for a few years. We'll see about 5. I'll probably hop right onto Sims 5 (but keep playing 4) while I wait for packs to go on sale. I will not be throwing down money for exclusive pre-order content if the game itself isn't amazing, especially with Rod Humble's upcoming game as competition.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    sclevenger08sclevenger08 Posts: 125 Member
    I won't buy/play Sims 5 right away, but I'll continue buying packs for Sims 4. Like SweetieWright said, I got Sims4 immediately and it literally sat on my computer for years untouched because it was incredibly boring with just a base game after playing Sims3 and it's open world for years. After a few years and multiple crashes making Sims3 basically unplayable for me, I decided to check out Sims4 again and I was blown away by how different the game was and I fell for it hook line and sinker lol.

Soo I imagine Sims5 will play out similarly. I plan on enjoying Sims 4 for a long time to come.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    I only buy packs that (a) are not broken, and (b) I'm interested in enough to spend money on compared to the other things in life I could be spending money on.
    Pretty much the same criteria I use to decide on a purchase of anything else in life.
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    edited July 2023
    I think the base game is going to be free but they’ll nickel and dime us to death and sell each additional item for a particular price. They’ll probably bundle items together too and it’ll be slightly cheaper.

I’m looking forward to being able to pick and choose what I want in my game and avoiding cluttering up the game with items I have no interest in. At least I’m hoping it’ll be like that. What makes me cautious is how much each item or feature will cost.
    Post edited by Future on
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    One thing I'm glad for is once TS4 stops getting updates, modders can fix up anything that needs fixing, and those mods won't break from game updates anymore. TS4 is a lot more moddable than TS3, so I'm looking forwards to that. Obviously that's not a solution for anyone playing on console, but I'm personally looking forwards to stuffing my game with unbreakable mods in the future.

I do plan on getting base game of TS5 upon launch to check it out, but I'll probably wait a long time before buying any DLC for it. 'Cuz I didn't like waiting so long between each occult release of TS4, so I'll probably wait until TS5 already has all the staple occults released before I buy any DLC at all. I joined TS4 when vampires released, thinking more occults would also come shortly after, but it takes 3 years in between each occult release for this iteration, so I've learned my lesson and won't be grabbing any TS5 DLC at all until my fav packs have already been released for it.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say?
    Don't buy sims 4 packs right away when sims 5 os close to coming out?
    Either way, the team has been very committed to fixing sims 4 and right now it's still a smooth running good game with very few issues or bugs for me. By the time sims 4 is ready to end i doubt it will have many bugs or glitches because it's being playing well for 9 years or however long. I'm sure the team will try to wrap up any lingering issues as well as they can before it ends and I'll still be buying the packs on release.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited June 2023
    I only buy packs that fit my game style, and the only pack I need to make my TS4 game complete is a band/music pack. With that, I won’t need to move on for awhile. Besides, I’m guessing all of the life sim options (Paralives, Life By You, and TS5), will start with basic sim/jobs/family gameplay and build on that for awhile before the more fantasy based gameplay becomes available, if it ever does. I think it will be a long time before any of them have what I want. If I’m wrong, and the more exotic elements come in early, I’ll take a look and weigh my options. But, add bands to TS4 and I can happily stay with it for quite some time. Any additional new content would just be a bonus.
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited June 2023
    I just hope that the Sims 5 or whatever Rene ends up being called doesn't rely on a subscription model. Free game but locked down so hard that if you want to go to another lot you have to have a valid subscription or that sort of nonsense.
    I'm probably being overly cynical though. Happens when you get older : )

I understand what you mean, OP, about slowing down on getting packs and such. Unfortunately I think that QA on older titles is usually among the first casualties when a spiffy new game comes along. If this pricing story is true (and I don't think it is set, by the way) then there's going to be a big influx of people all clamouring for QA for their new game. I don't see a solution unless EA makes some sort of statement regarding the time frame for release of Rene. They won't do that until they're ready.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    When Sims 3/4 was released, I was very much disappointed because of the many missing things and stopped playing. After 3 years, when season was released I started to play for real. Somewhere in the forum, I had written down, what should be included in sims 5 on release day, otherwise I won't buy it at that time, probably later. If they prefer bad costumer support on patching game breaking bugs, I guess I won't care about their future products.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited June 2023
    It is an interesting topic to think about. What will happen to the sims 4 when sims 5 is released and support for sims 4 ends?

First of all we don't know for sure that both of these things happen at once. Maybe sims 4 will have overlap with sims 5. In any case there will definitely be some bugs left in the game when the sims 4 ends. Besides most of the bugs come with patches, not DLC. So a simmer would have to be able to avoid updates and play offline which is a problem with the EA app. But as @Sheepiling mentions we can use mods to fix the game (only on pc, I know) but the mods won't break constantly because of updates.

I don't think not buying packs anymore will change the state of the game on it's final hour. EA will continue to create content at the moment. If a massive amount of simmers stop buying packs, the end might come a bit sooner but that's the only difference in my opinion. And I have less content to play with.

There is a good chance I will hold out on getting Sims 5 right away. Because I am still enjoying sims 4 and want to play with what I payed for. What really impacts if and when I get sims 5 is the pc requirements, the state of the game (how much is missing from base game) and a possible subscription. A forced subscription is a definite no go. A subscription would be the end of buying sims content. As for the competition it all depends on whether or not they will release supernatural content (perhaps a DLC?)
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2023
    Sarah26Cat wrote: »
    Hello, I've seen posts from many of you saying you don't intend to go out straight away and buy the next iteration of the Sims game. I'm not going to argue against that. Take time to decide where to spend your money. What I am going to suggest is that you take your time buying the Sims 4 packs as well.

What I predict is going to happen is that they will release a number of expansions, packs, and kits in the coming year(s). Then they will release a trailer for whatever the fifth Sims game will be called. They will then drop Sims 4 like a bad egg and not make any more patches for it. The team looking at the error reports will shrink down and if there are any glitches in the final iteration, they won't be fixed. This is why I suggest you slow down and don't buy the packs when they first come out. Wait until the error reports come in and read up on how others say their game is running. Get them after you know there is nothing you can't live with, because you might have to.

I don't actually have psychic abilities here, though in some time you might suspect that I do, I've just seen this happen three times already. Each time EA gets a new version of the Sims, they drop the old one like a bad fish. I don't know how long it'll be until they release Project Rene, or whatever its final name will be. The clips from the Behind the Sims Lifestream looked like they were a good few years away, but I don't know how recent that was. It may have been old footage from a much earlier stage, because EA still doesn't want to share too much. And Life by You is releasing Early Access in September, so they may feel pressured to speed up.

You are correct is what you are saying as I remember in Sims 2 there were bugs that still existed and was never fixed as well in Sims3. As you said the focus is more on the shiny toy that is coming out and less on the old toys. However, some have learned not to go all in looking at how Sims 4 got its start and why I am not buying into like I did with Sims 4 as features was cut and there is no scaling up or down regardless of what your system may contain as EA/Maxis wanted all to play all the same and sadly that does not work for everyone. Also, looking at how soon bugs get fixed which had taken months and even a couple of years as they do not slow down enough to fix what bugs is causing trouble and then proceed when most of the bad bugs are squashed. I do like LBYU, but I am not rushing to buy it as I will wait and see how that works out.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I am currently enjoying playing TS4 and the expansion packs add to my game. Especially the horses which I have waited since I moved from TS2 to TS4 many years ago. I had expectations since horses were in TS3 which was not suited for my playstyle and I didn’t buy at all (but eventually got a free copy). So thanks but I know what I want. I'm not ready to jump to TS5 and I enjoy the TS4 packs.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Both my Daughter & I have learned the hard way that newer isn’t always better. We foolishly jumped on the bandwagon of Sims 4 back in September 2014 after out original Sims 3 games wasn’t playable.
    We were so disappointed that there wasn’t toddlers & basements back then. Also I found out there was a “red tape” here in Canada to prevent Canadians to get the Gameplay & Stuff Packs. All we could get was the Expansion Packs only & one Bundle Spa Day/Perfect Padio that somehow went through. It wasn’t until September 2018 that the “red tape” was lifted.
    Anyways, after almost 9 years of Sims 4 play & almost 5 years of enjoying our Gameplay & Stuff Packs, we so don’t want another year one nothing game.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 719 Member
    edited June 2023
    It is becoming common for software makers to break the old version of a software with the last update and then leave it broken. I don't expect more or less from the Sims than I expect from the other software makers. The old world is gone. I need to enjoy what I can of this new world for as long as I can. Worrying about the future is useless. Grieving before it happens reduces my enjoyment of the present. Preparing and saving for the future does not pay off like it used to. I increasingly live in the present.

Often what I worry about does happen, but usually something else also happens that is so much bigger than what I worried about, that the original worry is no longer a major concern.

I am more worried about what Microsoft has planned. I expect to have to switch over to some type of subscription on a console and give up playing any owned games on a PC. Microsoft will indirectly trash the Sims 4 earlier and worse than anything the Sims has planned for us. I am pretty sure in their planning that they are worried about things a whole lot worse than what we are worrying about.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Both my Daughter & I have learned the hard way that newer isn’t always better. We foolishly jumped on the bandwagon of Sims 4 back in September 2014 after out original Sims 3 games wasn’t playable.
    We were so disappointed that there wasn’t toddlers & basements back then. Also I found out there was a “red tape” here in Canada to prevent Canadians to get the Gameplay & Stuff Packs. All we could get was the Expansion Packs only & one Bundle Spa Day/Perfect Padio that somehow went through. It wasn’t until September 2018 that the “red tape” was lifted.
    Anyways, after almost 9 years of Sims 4 play & almost 5 years of enjoying our Gameplay & Stuff Packs, we so don’t want another year one nothing game.

I was able to purchase each and every pack etc right from the start? I'm in BC. I bought party stuff pack and Outdoor retreat I believe in 2015?
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    TheFurSimsTheFurSims Posts: 9 New Member
    I usually go straight for the newest version of The Sims, however I am always upset that I have to leave my legacy's behind. Wish there was a way to take them with you. Still waiting for this technology one day :)
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited July 2023
    With Sims 3 and Sims 4 I have switched to the new game for maybe a year, then missed the extra content so much I had to switch back to the previous iteration for some time. On both occasions I later went back to the current version some time after expansions were released. I have no particular desire to start all over again.

It's possible that I will get Sims 5 if it really is free to play, but it will have include something special for me to buy the extra content. If it's not free to play, it will have to be doubly spectacular to tempt me.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I hear what you're trying to tell us @SweetieWright_84, but I have no intention of moving onto Sims5 Rene or whatever it's to be called. I don't even care if they do offer if for free, and I also saw that notice on Twitter Sims' Community. I do not like multi-player games. Tried them, not worth it to me. As for packs, I also am only purchasing the ones that interest me. No werewolves, magic or occults in my current game. Plus, some of the clothing packs I wasn't liking the style at all. I'm still enjoying Sims4, although I wish I could say it plays smoothly. Perhaps, after I get a new gaming rig, with more power, speed and RAM? Hubby is facing retirement in about two years (or so he claims, anyway. Goalpost keeps moving with him). Money will then become a fixed income. Why should I even contemplate starting all over again?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I hear what you're trying to tell us SweetieWright_84, but I have no intention of moving onto Sims5 Rene or whatever it's to be called. I don't even care if they do offer if for free, and I also saw that notice on Twitter Sims' Community. I do not like multi-player games. Tried them, not worth it to me. As for packs, I also am only purchasing the ones that interest me. No werewolves, magic or occults in my current game. Plus, some of the clothing packs I wasn't liking the style at all. I'm still enjoying Sims4, although I wish I could say it plays smoothly. Perhaps, after I get a new gaming rig, with more power, speed and RAM? Hubby is facing retirement in about two years (or so he claims, anyway. Goalpost keeps moving with him). Money will then become a fixed income. Why should I even contemplate starting all over again?

I think you may have tagged me by mistake. I said basically the same thing you did. I think my simming journey will end with TS4.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel