Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Reading some answers to some of those questions, it seems like we would be the person programming gameplay in our own games. Like the one where they state we add skills/traits to things with the crafting tool. Do they mean a crafting tool that a character uses or is the crafting tool a dev tool that allows us to 'program' certain things. I'm starting to wonder if this is a totally different experience than we think it was going to be. :o

6ukczvb9utnj.png
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Reading some answers to some of those questions, it seems like we would be the person programming gameplay in our own games. Like the one where they state we add skills/traits to things with the crafting tool. Do they mean a crafting tool that a character uses or is the crafting tool a dev tool that allows us to 'program' certain things. I'm starting to wonder if this is a totally different experience than we think it was going to be. :o

6ukczvb9utnj.png

I honestly believe this is more of a do it yourself kind of game based on what they have said up to this point. It seems like they provide the base, the general gameplay, and all of the tools but mainly it will be a playground for modders.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

6ukczvb9utnj.png

I honestly believe this is more of a do it yourself kind of game based on what they have said up to this point. It seems like they provide the base, the general gameplay, and all of the tools but mainly it will be a playground for modders.

It is a good step for me as it takes it to a whole new level for me, but I hope with all this hype it will be possible and I am not worried about my systems handling all those processes as it good enough to handle it all. But how will it run on lower systems and hopefully it will scale up or down unlike Sims 4 which to me is a one fit all program and it does not benefit me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,106 Member
    We will be getting essentially "dev" tools with the game in order to shape it to suit our needs - with the ability to share what we did as well, so those either less inclined to use the tools or just didn't think of that will be able to use it as well.
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    It’s named ‘Life by You’ so it’s not surprising that players would be able to use game tools to customize their own games. Looking forward to that!

Wish the people looked better though. I prefer the body proportion of sims in TS4 instead of the stumpy people in LBY. Also don’t like the art style, and their walk looks so unnatural.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    We will be getting essentially "dev" tools with the game in order to shape it to suit our needs - with the ability to share what we did as well, so those either less inclined to use the tools or just didn't think of that will be able to use it as well.

That's my interpretation. The gameplay for various careers and shops will be in the game. But if you want a new one, the tools are there for you to create it, and customize its interactions. The game probably doesn't have a pre-built career for selling rocks to visitors at the park, but if you want one, the tools are there to create it and make it functional in the game.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,412 Member
    edited June 2023
    Early development footage (not now):

kbtl8gnb4411.png
    68ck0mx00dev.png
    d8w9b11l8yfk.png
    s8rkjz7elob5.png
    ohwowvt7jhd0.png
    sgcmffkel20j.png

More screenshots:

3x3t20vjjevu.png
    664dv7ec06w7.png
    59kqihdvc0gh.png
    o7knsaocrdu0.png
    r1jfo974wh28.png
    llbie5smkw1a.png
    mwdb9on8hf06.png
    u5frfocmksgg.png
    g07dr7yuk82q.png

Characters:

vh1jfqi825bq.png
    6asafcddaq4m.png
    h52op0mfmgvd.png
    g86f49k4iad9.png
    x7t4t53fv1n6.png

Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options

It was nice seeing the progression they went through in developing the style.

Also, quoting one of the devs, who said that they wanted to "... appeal to an audience that has grown up playing life sims ... ." That alone is enough to hook me in.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,535 Member

s8rkjz7elob5.png

I am not crazy about their humans, but these seem like they are going in the right direction. All the others look like they were made in a 2000-something game, very dated. I believe they really need to nail the art style for their humans. Characters you can really get into, otherwise this game will be just another life simulator.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    Their humans look pretty good to me already, and it's still in the early stages of development. Really happy with what I'm seeing so far. B)
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    s8rkjz7elob5.png
    Why do the characters look so low quality nothing on their face stands out I should be able to notice things like eye color by just looking at them but their just so washed out.

Great style of clothing and color choice so natural the majority of Sims 4 adult clothing looks like the color choices were for a 4 year old outfit.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited June 2023

s8rkjz7elob5.png

I'm so confused!!

I don't mind the look of these characters at all!

So, when it says Early Development, was this the "concept" stuff? Or are they saying this is how they look right now before the final released?

I'm so confused about why the HECK we only been shown the game generated so-🐸🐸🐸🐸-ish characters? lol

I have yet to see a single character be dressed nicely yet in the actual game. Everything they've shown has been some frumpy-dumpy outdated looking piece of clothing!

• Options
    edited June 2023

s8rkjz7elob5.png

I'm so confused!!

So, when it says Early Development, was this the "concept" stuff? Or are they saying this is how they look right now before the final released?

I'm so confused about why the HECK we only been shown the game generated so-🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸-ish characters? lol

I have yet to see a single character be dressed nicely yet in the actual game. Everything they've shown has been some frumpy-dumpy outdated looking piece of clothing!

So I think everything with "Early Development Footage & Assets" watermark was several years ago during early development. (Side note, I kind of prefer the look of them here.)

The current characters are a little strange-looking. I'm not sure what the frog emoji is censoring, but from context you don't seem to be a fan of them now.

In terms of clothes, yep, it looks like a 2010s millennial style. However, the color palette has more neutrals, a great departure from Sims 4 Disney style IMO.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Great before and after art improvements from Twitter user boataomofficial. Focusing on the right then scanning over to the left really emphasizes what the current style is lacking. I like the after, for both LBY and Rene, though it is a strong lean into Alpha CC style.
    3nn65iywhdiv.png
    ge0alfus1mgy.png

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

s8rkjz7elob5.png

I'm so confused!!

I'm so confused about why the HECK we only been shown the game generated so-🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸-ish characters? lol

So I think everything with "Early Development Footage & Assets" watermark was several years ago during early development. (Side note, I kind of prefer the look of them here.)

The current characters are a little strange-looking. I'm not sure what the frog emoji is censoring, but from context you don't seem to be a fan of them now.

In terms of clothes, yep, it looks like a 2010s millennial style. However, the color palette has more neutrals, a great departure from Sims 4 Disney style IMO.

Yeah I like the way these characters look too, but these do not look like what they've been showing us. That's what I was wondering why the art direction took such a drastic turn from these "Early Development" pics.

And one of the problems with the characters that we see (it's been confirmed by Rocio, the Community Manager) that they have been just letting the game randomly generate characters whenever they're showing us something.

That's why they all have narrow shoulders and T-Rex arms.

Their settings need adjusted ..... BAD! Rocio showed how you could adjust arm length, the problem is .... in order to get normal proportioned arms on the character you have to set the arm length to max.

That's not correct. The middle setting should be the anatomically correct proportion and then if you move it higher, arms would be longer, if you moved it less, then arms would get shorter.
  • Options

s8rkjz7elob5.png

I'm so confused!!

Yeah I like the way these characters look too, but these do not look like what they've been showing us. That's what I was wondering why the art direction took such a drastic turn from these "Early Development" pics.

And one of the problems with the characters that we see (it's been confirmed by Rocio, the Community Manager) that they have been just letting the game randomly generate characters whenever they're showing us something.

That's why they all have narrow shoulders and T-Rex arms.

Their settings need adjusted ..... BAD! Rocio showed how you could adjust arm length, the problem is .... in order to get normal proportioned arms on the character you have to set the arm length to max.

That's not correct. The middle setting should be the anatomically correct proportion and then if you move it higher, arms would be longer, if you moved it less, then arms would get shorter.

Yes, it's a little strange. I think it's great that they're being so open about the development process, where they are, and what they're going for. However, except for the initial game reveal, the presentations have looked random and sloppily put together. Take video showing the construction of a house, for instance. The person running the video was just randomly drawing some things out, and clearly not very good at it.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,205 Member
    I like this art style.
  • Options
    One of today's posts said that they expect early access to last 12 months. That's an informative gage of where they are in the development process.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,535 Member
    Great before and after art improvements from Twitter user boataomofficial. Focusing on the right then scanning over to the left really emphasizes what the current style is lacking. I like the after, for both LBY and Rene, though it is a strong lean into Alpha CC style.
    3nn65iywhdiv.png
    ge0alfus1mgy.png

:) I commented on the Life By You YouTube page that I would need hair and skin mods to get the LBY Humans that I wanted.
    This shows exactly what I meant. Modders will be creating content to make those humans on the right if Paradox Tectonic doesn't .
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2023
    Really disappointed with the look of the people... Why are they so low resolution? This level of blurriness and lack of definition is what I'd expect from running a game on lowest graphics settings. They're what I would've expected in maybe 2009. For reference this is Sims 3 on minimum graphics compared to this game:

New-Project-1.png

I really hope they'll do a complete overhaul of the characters but they're opening it to paid early access in just two months and it still looks like this :/

Also I'm confused how it's gone downhill so much visually? These pictures from earlier in development the characters look great, now it's gone to blurry pudding face.
    ohwowvt7jhd0.png
    Fyx-Phny-WIAg-Zl-Mi.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Onverser wrote: »
    Also I'm confused how it's gone downhill so much visually? These pictures from earlier in development the characters look great, now it's gone to blurry pudding face.

The early development is concept art. What we have now are renders in-game.

I agree, they do look similar to Sims 3 pudding-face
  • Options
    Crimson_Angel_41Crimson_Angel_41 Posts: 24 Member
    both at least i think for now but my thought process could change
  • Options
    Onverser wrote: »

The early development is concept art. What we have now are renders in-game.

I agree, they do look similar to Sims 3 pudding-face

I think part of the problem is that the lighting is off somehow. It makes the characters look flat, makes objects look too shiny, and in general makes the environment look bad. The lighting needs massive work before September.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top