The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Base Game To Become Free To Play

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,330 Member

e4ZJkom.png

Starting October 18th

There’s also a new poster that heavily hints at Bonuses. Presumably for those who already paid for The Sims 4 Base Game.

https://simscommunity.info/2022/09/14/breaking-news-the-sims-4-base-game-is-going-free/
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    It's no surprise really, the Sims has long had a model of the base game just being a "base" that you buy additional content for, so it makes sense to make it free so then more people will start playing the game and thus buy DLC for it.

On another note I wonder if this means something more for the future of the game - making a game indefinitely free is generally more of an end of life cycle sort of thing, not something that happens for games with "years and years left"...
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited September 2022
    I mean I see this coming sooner or later and the game been out for ages by now

but I am more curious what that poster means with laundry day and country kitchen

is it just one of those shady "would you like to also get this" things origin shoots at ya or are they gonna be free too *adjust monocle*

wouldn't mind since I don't have those but it is kinda odd pairing
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,734 Member
    Anyone else get the sneaking (sinking?) feeling Sims 5 is closer than we thought?
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    Anyone else get the sneaking (sinking?) feeling Sims 5 is closer than we thought?
    this does indeed give me even more ts3 death flashbacks

man I hope so bad its not that
    cause I'm not gonna even care for ts5 if they pull that nonsense again
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,519 Member
    If this is like Sims Freeplay get ready to fork out a lot of money.
  • Options
    I wonder how this will effect the release of eps,gps,kits and sps.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,758 Member
    That is interesting and leaves a lot of room for speculation for what could be the future of The Sims 4... New users always had to buy the base game in order to play any of their packs.

My guess is that they want the option for The Sims 4 to go more towards a free to play model, free to play games are often updated regularly and they don't tend to have larger expansions and packs but more like seasons and smaller content like microtransactions.

We have kinda seen this already with their kits. I'm not sure if this means the end of the sims4, they have said that they have many more years left, but maybe they would like the option to scale down things and have a free to play model instead.
  • Options
    wait desert luxe is free?
    confusion intensifies
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,734 Member
    edited September 2022
    Simmingal wrote: »
    wait desert luxe is free?
    confusion intensifies

Appears to be. At a guess a "thank you for buying Sims 4 base game" for all of us who did.

Personally, I wasn't at all interested in it but I won't say no to free stuff.

Edit: Of course, when I tried to download it from Origin I got an error message but that could be my wonky computer.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,453 Member
    I guess such drastic measures are necessary because the inflation/energy panic in Europe lets sales sink to zero anyways.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,874 Member
    After eight years, it's not really that surprising. It's not like the base game is the main money maker for the Sims franchise. it's all of the DLC.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    The problem is the Sims 4 is still missing a lot of content.

Hotels
    Pool Slides
    Pool Waterfalls
    Romantic and family gameplay. I don't count My Wedding Stories as a romance pack.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,436 Member
    I have mixed feelings and different speculation regarding this announcement.

One side of me is thinking, TS4 is winding down in the next year, the free TS4 base game is to get new players interested who will jump on the band wagon of TS5 when it comes out.

Then another side of me is thinking, nawwww that's not it, they have stated over and over and over again that TS4 has many, many more years of content planned. And I know they've recently listed job postings that are specific to TS4, so they are definitely planning on more content for it.

All of these job postings were from last week and mention TS4 specifically.

(Dated 09-08-22)
    https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/175635/gameplay-software-engineer-the-sims?locale=en

(Dated 09-09-22)
    https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/175540/game-designer-ii-the-sims?locale=en

(Dated 09-09-22)
    https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/175545/3d-artist-ii-the-sims?locale=en
  • Options
    peno11peno11 Posts: 192 Member
    Considering there were no SP since Kits were announced, I don't think those will be affected in any way :D

BTW, does anyone else has all the kits marked as purchased in Origin even though they don't own them? Not counting the new free kit, I only bought Bust the Dust, Modern Menswear, Little Campers and First Fits kits. But now, I have all of them marked as purchased, which also means I can't buy them, if I wanted to (which I don't, but whatever). I even have option do download them, but that does nothing. Inside the game, however, they are all still marked as not owned and I have button to buy them from there, but when I click that, it'll tell me I already own that, which I obviously don't. Or do I? I am quite confused here.

Anyway, redeeming the new kit went without problem, except Origin still wanted payment method confirmation. Don't get why Origin want that for free content, but whatever.
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    peno11 wrote: »
    Considering there were no SP since Kits were announced, I don't think those will be affected in any way :D

BTW, does anyone else has all the kits marked as purchased in Origin even though they don't own them? Not counting the new free kit, I only bought Bust the Dust, Modern Menswear, Little Campers and First Fits kits. But now, I have all of them marked as purchased, which also means I can't buy them, if I wanted to (which I don't, but whatever). I even have option do download them, but that does nothing. Inside the game, however, they are all still marked as not owned and I have button to buy them from there, but when I click that, it'll tell me I already own that, which I obviously don't. Or do I? I am quite confused here.

Anyway, redeeming the new kit went without problem, except Origin still wanted payment method confirmation. Don't get why Origin want that for free content, but whatever.
    Yeah right like there will be more kits and kits and kits, period! But guess what?! 2022 is the worst year in my life with no stuff pack being release during in-development of The Sims 4
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,428 Member
    edited September 2022
    That's a problem ... some people will complain to get for free only this kit that they don't want ...
  • Options
    Happy 8th anniversary ?
    The Sims 4's 8th anniversary is over until next year
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Also, I don't wanna see kits being revealed for next month, as soon as I can't see a stuff pack and an expansion pack on the list where the next and last roadmap of The Sims 4, this'll be a serious problem
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,428 Member
    edited September 2022
    It's not surprising because several BioWare DLC of Mass Effect and Dragon Age became free too.

• Options
    I think the reason why you guys are getting errors when downloading is due to too much traffic from other users downloading it, eventually that will settle down, give it time.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,193 Member
    Mine went error too, however it did clear up.
    Just wanted to thank the devs for my free Kit. ;) It will be very, very handy with my Ancient Times & Futuristic household homes. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top