Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,753 Member
    edited August 2022
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    Yeah, I am getting tired of these fears now. I am getting "fear of unfulfilled dreams" on every sim, I can't even play another sim because the sim that I am not playing will get that fear or they will get "fear of dead end job".

What are you doing Maxis?

I say having the choice to turn these on or off is great. Being 'forced' to have these on, makes some players really irritated. I most certainly agree on that.
    If it actually worked in the gameplay settings menu, (turning it on or off) then could even split it into two choice switches.

Wants (formerly called Whims)
    Fears (New)

Yeah, I liked fear of unfulfilled dreams in the beginning because it offered a bit of a challenge, I could not always do what I wanted with my sims because they wanted to do something else. But it keeps coming back, I recently loaded a household in the middle of the night so I told them to go to sleep, when they woke up they were annoyed that I told them to do that.

I also like to focus on playing just one sim, especially now with HSY, I want to play the teens, and having the parents getting annoyed because they are getting ignored is also frustrating.

The fear of dead end job fear I don't understand at all, there is rarely any reason for you to switch jobs in the game so every time I get that fear I have to tell them to regain passion and go to work... not a whole lot of gameplay there...

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,135 Member
    I started my main save and I joined Siobhan in her new business venture and I see she has a want to get a promotion...and she's the owner. I don't think there's much room for advancement, you're pretty much at the top hun.
  • Options
    Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    CrazyFrog wrote: »
    Jade47 wrote: »
    I'm at the point where I simply can't stand it now. It's putting me off playing because it does not stay switched off.

Yeah i hit that point last nite i felt like my sims had the plague and i gave them elixir to cure them lol, im hesitant to even turn on my PC today. But hopefully the next patch will get rid of wants and fears, imho i think they made a mistake with that one, overall they dont make alot of mistakes but the negative reactions from the majority of players w different styles on this one. Anyways when i come back to the game i'll adapt no matter what... btw thanks to all the folks sharing their experience and helping out each other ! :smiley: ciao4now

Sorry to hear you feel like that too. I think the phone obession animation was another mistake but I suspect it isn't a bug but actually a feature. This is my biggest issue, they add these new things but don't complete them properly or test them and then they wonder why we complain.
  • Options
    SlackerSlacker Posts: 3,000 Member
    edited August 2022
    Hehe.. yeah the phone thing is the first thing i settled, i even listed like 4 mods to block it on some thread. Never seen my sims walking w phone ever since ! That is personal, i mean irl i dont use a cell pone for personal reasons and i know im an exeption obviously so i dont mind having to place a mod in for that. But the fears, OMG its like 2much i just finished 2hours + going around to 5 households removing fears with fear-be-gone potion some of them had 3 fears ! :p ...so im good i guess the sims i wanna play i check if they got a fear and i 'treat' em ... im not gonna developp phobophobia lol
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,940 Member
    edited August 2022
    I've noticed after having played a lot with one household with wants/fears off, and then switching to another household I have never played before, some Sims have been given a free fear of death! Namely the elders, I was hoping a fresh out of CAS elder wouldn't have this issue, and it seems they do. I can't tell why, but it's morbid to put it.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,140 Member
    Anyone else having an issue when you turn wants and fears off via the options menu, they're still there? And they re-appear after exiting CAS?
  • Options
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Anyone else having an issue when you turn wants and fears off via the options menu, they're still there? And they re-appear after exiting CAS?

Yes. As far as I know everybody has this one.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,436 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »

Yes, I can confirm that it's happening to me too. This is a brand new save in a brand new game generated TS4 folder, so no mods/cc, no saves, no tray files and if I turn them off and travel or go into CAS, they are turned back on automatically.

ANNOYING!
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,072 Member
    I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want:

I want "wants and fears" to go away. Permanently.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    I liked them at first because they were new and a link to a version of the sims so many seem nostalgic for that I never played. As the novelty has worn off though, and as I see more and more the trouble they can cause I'm not liking it nearly as much now. It's definitely not what I thought it was at first, and not like what I had been expecting. I just want to make it stay in the corner out of my way like whims did.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,505 Member
    I'm also stuck with the bug where the wants and fears can't be turned off. Already went to the bug forum for a 'me too'
    the wants and fears turn out to be a real disappointment. I would like to have only the wants, not the fears because the fears hinder in game play. (fear of dead end job every two days is ridiculous, same for fear of the dark in broad daylight) the wants are also a big step down from whims when it comes to pack integration which is very very disappointing.

In this state wants and fears hinder my game play. It would be nice if we could choose between the whims or the wants and fears. I hope at least the on off switch will be fixed to work properly, although I realise we will probably have to wait for quite a while to get that fixed.
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    Yeah, I am getting tired of these fears now. I am getting "fear of unfulfilled dreams" on every sim, I can't even play another sim because the sim that I am not playing will get that fear or they will get "fear of dead end job".

What are you doing Maxis?

I say having the choice to turn these on or off is great. Being 'forced' to have these on, makes some players really irritated. I most certainly agree on that.
    If it actually worked in the gameplay settings menu, (turning it on or off) then could even split it into two choice switches.

Wants (formerly called Whims)
    Fears (New)

I would like separate toggles for want and fears. Toggles that actually work obviously. I hate to have to turn them off over and over again. I would like to give the wants a try even if the want system is a serious step backwards from whims when it comes to pack integration. But I don't want unreasonable fears that leach onto the traits in the symbology panel.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,044 Member
    They definitely made a lot of mistakes with this feature - they should have looked more at how Sims 2 wants and fears worked because those actually enhanced the gameplay and wasn't as intrusive. Not to mention there are way too few of the wants and fears to actually make sims unique and for them not to be repetitive. So disappointing. :s
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want:

I want "wants and fears" to go away. Permanently.

I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna,
    I wanna really, really, I really wanna them to 'Zigazig Ah'
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,736 Member
    I turned them off right away. I didn’t like them in TS2, so I’m fine without them in TS4. I rarely played whims, either.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,761 Member
    I have a mod that's made the fears bearable. They don't keep coming back at least. Also have wants modded. I find I'm actually paying more attention to them. I try to do at least one a day.
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2022
    Hi, I want to give my take on wants and fears after playing since update day. In a personal level, this update really let me down as Simmer and put my expectations very low. It has been a hard month for playing this game want-based style. Anyway, I will break down my take on topics:

1. Take off emotional whims is a mistake. As far I understand how whims used to work it was like the more you play with a Sim the more whims became diverse because I guess a) you will have new triggers for a whim to roll (like "Because of Some Skill", "For Being Acquaintance/Friend with Sim", "For Being in a Career", "For Owning a Object" etc.) besides those that rolls from Personality Traits you choose on CAS and others like the old 'hated' Seasons ones and those connected with elements of the active lot and its surrounding area; and b) you will have different values/odds applied to roll them.

So, in practice, the first Sims days were kinda 'generic' if you only followed whims, diversity coming mostly based on those foundation personality traits. What used to insert flow in those first days were the emotional whims. Those whims would guide you through some community lots, maybe buy objects related to specific emotions, doing certain activities etc. Some of those old emotional whims still rolling in the pool of wants, but the original emotional triggers are gone, so they will only roll if the same want has another trigger.

It kinda of unbalances things and, in a specific scenario I tested, instead of giving me more options to play with, it took away. Let me exemplify with a premade family: the BFF. Before wants, Travis Scott would have roughly 50/50 chance of staying thin or getting chubby. Playing with this household, you will eventually receive a coffee maker that will help you Sims get energized. This meant "Go for Jog", "Do Sit Ups, "Do Push Ups" whims triggered by the emotion itself. Besides helping to grind the Fitness skill bit a bit without being his focus (cause, remember, Travis is a geek working on tech careeer), to maintain his shape (with slight variations from the dishes he eats) it also helped give variation of activies on those first days (lets picture: Travis went to work, programmed a bit and then drank coffee... bum, it rolled "Go for Jog" and sincerely it seems like a good way to finish his day before he takes a shower and go to bed). I'm using here only one emotion to exemplify but you could apply this to the others. Now, with wants Travis will never wishes doing exercise but will actually do Sit Ups and Push Ups when energized. It will only start to rolling in the pool of wants once he reaches certain level of Fitness Skill (have you tried to get up to level 3 of Fitness only by doing Sit and Push ups? c'mon, it's boringly grindy). He will autonomously uses a treadmill or a punch box when energized but if you decides to only do so if someone rolls a want of visit gym of buy those objects (Summer has the higher possilibity of levelling up fitness and start rolling cause she is an Active Sim)............. you found a dead-end (that can be kinda of workaround if you wait till Rebate Day or Flea Market to have the game give you a guideline to shake things up, but only if you own the EP). The bottom line here is that Travis, with wants, will always get chubby before he eventually and maybe start to exercise. And this means that while before I had 2 outcomes (he may be thin or chubby in a year made of 28 Sim days), now I can only have one if I follow wants.

I really respect every way of playing The Sims. If you wanna go all-in and put everything you want at once as you desires, go for it (I like to do these only with Sims that I create from scratch). It will be incredible because this game is broad enough to allow Simmers to control every action queued or to simply watch with ponctual interferences. Whims/Wants necessarily should be the "STORY GENERATOR" system of the game for those whom doesn't want to act a storyline but react to events that the game bring up in the way that the product of it will write or be the storyline itself. Extending this to premades: I don't want to interfere on them or their home without they wanting it because their home, objects, and everything, also makes part of the household lore. It speaks the personality of those Sims. Why can't I have the progression only by following wants?

More on this topic it is that now my Sims will not wish to react to things happening in a emotional way like before. They will act autonomously, but where is the driven factor now? Let me exemplify with Landgraabs. Malcolm is evil and eventually he will have some rough exchanges with his parents. Before update, it could roll "Insult Sim" in the middle of a discussion because someone got Angry. As a good Watcher I am and a very fullfiller one, I will help them to accomplish it right away. And from it maybe there will be a Sentiment, or the discussion will heat up even more. Now, with Wants, I only can wait to see autonomy on work reacting emotional-based (which is nice but not a system that should work as substitute to Whims/Wants, let me be clear) but I don't get those delicious 25 satisfaction points or hear the audio effect of completing that whim or even have an idea of what their emotional wishing is for me, player, give input back. What I am supposed to do in this case if I want interfere the less?

But there's a point that makes it worse: the new "situational want" really acts like bland uninspired tasks. Example: Relief Bladder. Why does we need a want like that if it is not related to emotional ways of using the bathroom, like anger poop? These are the special variants of bladder that deserves a real focus because they add personality. I don't care to send Travis to bathroom because he will eventually go there, but if he wants to take an anger poop cause he is angry now, than this cares to me, you get it? Same with the "Read a Book" because you are on the library. Well, if my Sim rolls the want to read a book in his home, but there's no more unread books, I will automatically send them to Library or buy a new one. I don't need to receive a want of read of book because I visited the place. I really prefer to have the emotional roll to spice things there.

Whoever figured out this way of wants working: sorry but it is not fun.

2. Dynamics. Whims/Wants are short-term goals, they need to be dynamic. They used to be more dynamic with the reset button and I really appreciate your shake-up with the Want Refresher potion (even though you didn't put a visual effect over it like all other base game potions has...) but it didn't work as intended I guess. I will use any Good Sim as example: if the Sims has one negative moodlet in the moment wants roll, there's a chance you will get the "Look at the Brightside" that becomes locked until you wait your Sim get miserable to fullfill it, or another roll, or you drink the potion. I think a lot of the criticism against whims/wants for being pointless (they are the trail to giving flavor and completing aspirations) because of short-term related are wrong, and I think not only preferring but also seeing that the reset button made the flow of the game better only emphasizes that whims were polished with the reset button, even though some tuning could help.

3. Fears are really good but needs tuning. I really like the way of Fears being acquaired traits and your Sim can have a whole range of fears that varies through lifetime. My negative point it is the wants related to fears are..... some are nice, like the one to deal with the fear of the dark (get confident outdoors on nighttime) and some are bland (dead-end job I'm looking at you Regain Passion). More, I think this is a opportunity to have wants with negative satisfaction points outcome besides emotional moodlets of things or activities you will want to make your Sims avoid, not only the wants to overcome their fears.

4. Implementation is my last topic. I will give you the benefit that this system will be increased with new wants from all released packs and new ones because you also did so with Sentiments. You really added more Sentiments after those initial. BUT, it comes to my attention that Sentiments look more complementary or acessory systems on the Emotional Branch (which I believe ties Autonomy and Whims/Wants because both are very synchronous) while Whims/Want are more like or feel more like a foundation of the game, one of thoses systems upon which the progression is based or adjusted.

WHY? Why make the decision to bring from dead Whims only to make it half way in the release? Here it gets a little bit personal to me, because Wants were nice on TS2, Wants were nice on TS3 and Whims were nice on TS4 (while at the same time, needed tuning). Now, I will need to wait a lot of time with this unsatisfaying system till you work on it..... and if you work on it..... Anyway.

I wish I have closure to it, but only written this down was kinda of a burden. Wants were incredible progression and flavored on Sims 3. I went back these last days to it and I can see flaws and shortcomings in the middle of some brilliance on it too, and still seems a more solid effort. I don't want only to control my Sims, I want to have a miniverse of Sims on which I can follow them and help them on their wishes, goals etc. for good or bad, it is up to them.

Post edited by Flap on
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    The fear of unfulfilled dreams is really, really annoying! My sims are advancing in their aspiration milestones and yet they still get that fear along with the anger buff about losing control over their fear. How do you fulfill your dreams then? And then there is the want of wanting to break up with a sim's partner after they woohoo and have a 100 friendship and 100 romance. They have been partners for a while and have woohooed before, but all of a sudden, with no warning, one sim has fallen out of love with the other while the relationship bar has not moved at all from the 100. UGH! Between this and the groundhog day bug, I have been losing my mind since the patch. Thankfully some modders have fixed some of the game bugs, although groundhog day remains a continual problem for pc, mac, and console users - so NOT a mod problem EA!

I really wish there was more logic to the wants and fears system, that we could cancel out the wants, and that we could actually discuss the fears with other sims right away and not after about 10 inane interactions.

My sims are at the top of their career but still get fear of deadend job. I mean when does that stop? Never? It is beyond annoying. I hope they are going to fix this soon. My sims are mad all the time.
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Hehe.. yeah the phone thing is the first thing i settled, i even listed like 4 mods to block it on some thread. Never seen my sims walking w phone ever since ! That is personal, i mean irl i dont use a cell pone for personal reasons and i know im an exeption obviously so i dont mind having to place a mod in for that. But the fears, OMG its like 2much i just finished 2hours + going around to 5 households removing fears with fear-be-gone potion some of them had 3 fears ! :p ...so im good i guess the sims i wanna play i check if they got a fear and i 'treat' em ... im not gonna developp phobophobia lol

I seriously hate the constant phone usage. And there is no way to get them to stop. I have tried turning off everything phone related and they still walk and use the phone. Is it possible to ask what mods you are using to get this to stop? This phone issue is not going to be good in my Decades save. I haven't even loaded it since the patch.
  • Options
    MarihelMarihel Posts: 10 New Member
    I disabled wants and fears after having them enabled for a few days.

My werewolf Sim got engaged, but she kept wanting to break up and flirt with other people. She also got the fear of being cheated on by, supposedly, seeing her significant other flirt with another Sim, but we were the only two in my home... After only a few hours, she developed a fear of unfulfilled dreams because I didn't let her break up her engagement and cheat on her partner.

It was all fairly random, considering I made sure they would see each other daily, and both bars were full, so she really had no reason for wanting to end the relationship and cheat. I now turned them off, in my opinion, they could have been done so much better.

I will try to enable them again while playing my Spellcaster, since she's single I hope I won't get stuck with absolutely nonsense wants again.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 725 Member
    Marihel wrote: »
    I disabled wants and fears after having them enabled for a few days.

My werewolf Sim got engaged, but she kept wanting to break up and flirt with other people. She also got the fear of being cheated on by, supposedly, seeing her significant other flirt with another Sim, but we were the only two in my home... After only a few hours, she developed a fear of unfulfilled dreams because I didn't let her break up her engagement and cheat on her partner.

It was all fairly random, considering I made sure they would see each other daily, and both bars were full, so she really had no reason for wanting to end the relationship and cheat. I now turned them off, in my opinion, they could have been done so much better.

I will try to enable them again while playing my Spellcaster, since she's single I hope I won't get stuck with absolutely nonsense wants again.

I absolutely hate how the wants and fears work in the game for pretty much the same reason. One of my vampire Sims, who also has the good trait, has been married to her wife for ages and has the 'soulmate' trait with her - so of course that means her wants come up as 'break up with partner', followed by 'looming anxiety' for 'unfulfilled dreams', so she randomly starts insulting and shouting at her wife, and flirting with her sister in law. What the actual...? It's nowhere near in character or in trait for this Sim (or any of my Sims actually) to be acting like that. This isn't the only Sim couple affected in my game either, nearly all of them have been to one degree or another. I keep turning the darn thing off, but it keeps resetting itself as well. Can't wait for a fix that will allow us to switch it off entirely and permanently.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 725 Member
    Glimmer50 wrote: »

I seriously hate the constant phone usage. And there is no way to get them to stop. I have tried turning off everything phone related and they still walk and use the phone. Is it possible to ask what mods you are using to get this to stop? This phone issue is not going to be good in my Decades save. I haven't even loaded it since the patch.

I'm using this mod: https://lazarusinashesmods.tumblr.com/post/691129246640472064/no-constant-phone and so far it's working well.

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    What?! Finally I glimmer of hope that I can stop being a nervous wreck wondering what damage wants and fears might be causing behind my back! I still want Maxis to fix it so I can turn it off when I want it off.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,470 Member
    What?! Finally I glimmer of hope that I can stop being a nervous wreck wondering what damage wants and fears might be causing behind my back! I still want Maxis to fix it so I can turn it off when I want it off.

There's also this one for more logical (and much less aggravating :s ) fears:
    https://bosselady11711.wixsite.com/bosseladymods/post/better-fears-mod
    I don't know if it'll conflict with MissyHissy's – she doesn't mention it, so fingers crossed.

Plus this one if you want to re-roll wants: https://www.patreon.com/posts/70029880

With these in place, I'm actually enjoying wants now :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top