We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,087 Member
    What do you do when a Want rolls around that your Sim can, in no way, fulfill? My Teen wants to play toys with his Toddler brother, but even following the instructions to place two toys close together on the floor, he can only view or place in toy box. Face/palm. It may be time for me to turn them off, hopefully to clear it, then turn them back on. They don't stay turned off, or I would keep them off. HEY, EA, will you please allow us to lock or dismiss these wants? Sheesh, last thing I need is for my Sim to get into a full-blown Depression.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 4,992 Member
    edited August 2022
    @simgirl1010 Thank you for these links to more info about this mod.
    I noticed the new Hopes & Fears mod today too. I have it downloaded and will give it a try in my test save. Maybe do another game repair first. Since I can't seem to turn off Wants & Fears safely and permanently, I guess I'll just try to live with an improved mod version! 🤪
    With these in place, I'm actually enjoying wants now :p
    @loubyloulou Great to hear the mods seem to have really improved Wants & Fears for you! I'd downloaded the Better Fears mod just last night to decrease the possibility and repetition of fears. Let's hope the two mods don't conflict. I'll be looking for any news about how these mods work in game. 🙂
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 4,992 Member
    edited August 2022
    @CrazyFrog Here's some info from MissHissy's Hopes & Fears Mod webpage
    What Does It Do?
    • The Hopes & Fears Mod overhauls whimsets for Traits, Aspirations, Careers, Skills and more by adding new Wants to these sets, specifically custom ones.
    • It adds whimsets for the Traits, Aspirations, Careers, Skills, Lifestyles and more from later packs that didn’t have them as well as Base Game ones, such as Child Aspirations.
    • It also adds whimsets for certain situations, such as Having a Bad Day at Work and Having a Cheating Partner. Now your Sims will put it appropriate Wants for these situations, including going on a Date.
    • It overhauls the whimsets for venues, so you’ll get some appropriate Reactionary Wants when visiting some venues (to be developed further).
    • It adds new Fears to be developed by your Sims after certain situations (development of a Fear is not a guarantee; in other words, not every Sim will develop a Fear).
    • Finally, it upgrades the Whims Maxis Left Behind into Wants and re-adds them to whimsets. It also contains whimsets for the Child, Toddler and Elder life stages.
    The Technical Details
    • This mod is Base Game Compatible.
    • It is split into multiple folders based on pack, so you must delete the folders for packs you don’t have.
    • Similarly, the Fears are in their own folders and you can delete those if you do not wish to have the Fears in your game.

    Note that last item: Apparently, you can completely remove the fears from your game.

    Edit: I plan to also use the Better Fears mod from BossLady. It's supposed to lower the frequency and repetition of fears.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited August 2022
    lanlyn wrote: »
    @CrazyFrog Here's some info from MissHissy's Hopes & Fears Mod webpage
    What Does It Do?
    • The Hopes & Fears Mod overhauls whimsets for Traits, Aspirations, Careers, Skills and more by adding new Wants to these sets, specifically custom ones.
    • It adds whimsets for the Traits, Aspirations, Careers, Skills, Lifestyles and more from later packs that didn’t have them as well as Base Game ones, such as Child Aspirations.
    • It also adds whimsets for certain situations, such as Having a Bad Day at Work and Having a Cheating Partner. Now your Sims will put it appropriate Wants for these situations, including going on a Date.
    • It overhauls the whimsets for venues, so you’ll get some appropriate Reactionary Wants when visiting some venues (to be developed further).
    • It adds new Fears to be developed by your Sims after certain situations (development of a Fear is not a guarantee; in other words, not every Sim will develop a Fear).
    • Finally, it upgrades the Whims Maxis Left Behind into Wants and re-adds them to whimsets. It also contains whimsets for the Child, Toddler and Elder life stages.
    The Technical Details
    • This mod is Base Game Compatible.
    • It is split into multiple folders based on pack, so you must delete the folders for packs you don’t have.
    • Similarly, the Fears are in their own folders and you can delete those if you do not wish to have the Fears in your game.

    Note that last item: Apparently, you can completely remove the fears from your game.

    Edit: I plan to also use the Better Fears mod from BossLady. It's supposed to lower the frequency and repetition of fears.

    Im looking for the mod to BLOCK all fears .... lol but thanks :wink: Bosslady has great mods, maybe i'll look there...
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Spy46Spy46 Posts: 2 New Member
    Worst system EVER!!!!

    No option to X a want that you don't want to do "Break up with gf/bf"

    Conquered fears not being removed "Sim is scared of dark, Conquered it, still gets +4 fear of dark"

    Sleeping appears to be only way to reset the wants that later come back.

    Some methods to conquer fears do not function, resulting in a fear that cant be conquered, even if it worked.

    Fears cripple sims, preventing them from being able to be cared for. "Wont take bath, wont cook, etc"
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,087 Member
    Personally, I was happy with the Whims. But I do realize many were asking for Wants and Fears back. All I can say is, be careful what you wish for. This system I consider to be Wants & Fears on STEROIDS.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 4,992 Member
    edited August 2022
    I just added the Hopes & Fears mod to my game and noticed that, so far, there is only 1 fear included in the files: Fear of Commitment. It was in its own folder, so could easily be removed for those who don't want more fears in their game. I haven't found any mods that totally remove fears yet.

    But I added the Better Fears mod which reduces the chance and duration of fears. It has two versions: lowers chance of fears down to 20% or down to 10% chance.
    • Lowers the chance of getting fears (either less than 20% or less than 10%).
    • Fears don't last as long.
    • Not everyone will be prone to get many fears (depends on traits).
    • Once resolved through gameplay, fears won't return as quickly.

    I also installed the UI Cheats mod for the first time so that I can click off any wants or fears I don't care to deal with. I didn't install the Reroll Wants mod, but I might later.

    I'll be testing this setup in the next couple of days.
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 4,992 Member
    It appears that the UI Cheats mod cannot be used to remove Wants. My sim got a Want to become girlfriends with a sim that does not match her sexual orientation, and there was no way to get rid of it. This is why I didn't want to play with W&F to begin with. But since W&F won't stay turned off for me despite my Options setting, I'm trying to see how I can live with this glitchy mess. Maybe I'll try the Reroll Wants mod.

    So, so frustrating! At least I didn't see any more absurd fears again. Fingers crossed that the Better Fears mod keeps them at bay!
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,460 Member
    lanlyn wrote: »
    It appears that the UI Cheats mod cannot be used to remove Wants. My sim got a Want to become girlfriends with a sim that does not match her sexual orientation, and there was no way to get rid of it. This is why I didn't want to play with W&F to begin with. But since W&F won't stay turned off for me despite my Options setting, I'm trying to see how I can live with this glitchy mess. Maybe I'll try the Reroll Wants mod.

    So, so frustrating! At least I didn't see any more absurd fears again. Fingers crossed that the Better Fears mod keeps them at bay!

    Yes, you definitely want this mod :)
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 4,992 Member
    edited August 2022
    Maybe I'll try the Reroll Wants mod.
    Yes, you definitely want this mod :)
    @loubyloulou I just tested the Reroll Wants mod in game and it seems very useful. And with the Better Fears, Custom Wants, and the Hopes & Fears mods, maybe I'll actually get some decent options to play with. Things are looking up--thanks to some great modders! 😄
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,460 Member
    lanlyn wrote: »
    Maybe I'll try the Reroll Wants mod.
    Yes, you definitely want this mod :)
    @loubyloulou I just tested the Reroll Wants mod in game and it seems very useful. And with the Better Fears, Custom Wants, and the Hopes & Fears mods, maybe I'll actually get some decent options to play with. Things are looking up--thanks to some great modders! 😄

    Absolutely!! :D
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited August 2022
    Just wanted to let you know that my whimoverhaul has also already been updated to support the half-new wants and fears system.
    https://bienchen.sems-own-world.de/de/misc-mods/
    Thank you, EA, for patching toddlers and infants in.- My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,240 Member
    I must have done something wrong when I installed MissyHissy's mod because I'm still not seeing any difference in the wants my sims are getting. I have a couple of sims who have always gotten wants that made sense, the rest are still getting wants that make no sense. And I looked this morning for that fears folder which is my main worry. All I could find was one sub folder marked fears in the folder marked base game and it only had fear of committment. Hopefully today's update won't be bugged like the 7-26 update and we can just shut them off finally. All I really need is to shut off fears, wants I can ignore like I did whims.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,460 Member
    I must have done something wrong when I installed MissyHissy's mod because I'm still not seeing any difference in the wants my sims are getting. I have a couple of sims who have always gotten wants that made sense, the rest are still getting wants that make no sense. And I looked this morning for that fears folder which is my main worry. All I could find was one sub folder marked fears in the folder marked base game and it only had fear of committment. Hopefully today's update won't be bugged like the 7-26 update and we can just shut them off finally. All I really need is to shut off fears, wants I can ignore like I did whims.

    Do you have MissyHissy's Custom Wants mod, too? You need that to make the wants show up.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,240 Member
    I think I do. I downloaded 3 mods while I was there. Maybe i did forget to install it. I'll double check when I get home. Thanks for reminding me.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,087 Member
    lanlyn wrote: »
    It appears that the UI Cheats mod cannot be used to remove Wants. My sim got a Want to become girlfriends with a sim that does not match her sexual orientation, and there was no way to get rid of it. This is why I didn't want to play with W&F to begin with. But since W&F won't stay turned off for me despite my Options setting, I'm trying to see how I can live with this glitchy mess. Maybe I'll try the Reroll Wants mod.

    So, so frustrating! At least I didn't see any more absurd fears again. Fingers crossed that the Better Fears mod keeps them at bay!

    My Teen rolled the want to play toys with his Toddler brother. There was NO WAY he could fulfill that one. I tried. Placing two toys on the ground near each other and then clicking on them to play, only worked for the Toddler, not the Teen. Face/palm. My Teen doesn't have the Childish Trait, because he isn't childish. I shouldn't have to conform my Sims to these random Wants! I may look into the mod you mentioned.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,087 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Just wanted to let you know that my whimoverhaul has also already been updated to support the half-new wants and fears system.
    https://bienchen.sems-own-world.de/de/misc-mods/

    Thanks! Grabbed that one up, toot-sweet. I think I'll wait until after today's patch to install it, however.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I'm curious. When I shift click my Sim, I have a cheat to reroll wants for free. It keeps the pinned wants, too. I never see anyone mention it, so I'm thinking it might be because of All Cheats mod.

    For fears, I just use UI Cheats to remove the trait. My Sim's dad is an ambitious workaholic who loves his job, but everytime he gets a promotion, he gets a fear of a dead end job. It makes no sense! I hope they fix it soon.
  • vulpdenvulpden Posts: 16 Member
    Just here to rant a little. The fear system is godawful. Every one of my sims constantly has the fear or fire or fear of the dark. As soon as I get rid of it, within a day or two it's back. It's just so repetetive. I feel like it was another attempt of EA to try to make sims more individual and have more personality, but honestly it did the opposite. Regardless of the traits or aspirations or jobs etc. I give my sims, they usually end up with the same fears and I have to do the exact same thing for each of them to fix it. It's annoying.

    The wants are fine, I do like that they brought that back from previous games.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,240 Member
    edited August 2022
    I must have done something wrong when I installed MissyHissy's mod because I'm still not seeing any difference in the wants my sims are getting. I have a couple of sims who have always gotten wants that made sense, the rest are still getting wants that make no sense. And I looked this morning for that fears folder which is my main worry. All I could find was one sub folder marked fears in the folder marked base game and it only had fear of committment. Hopefully today's update won't be bugged like the 7-26 update and we can just shut them off finally. All I really need is to shut off fears, wants I can ignore like I did whims.

    Do you have MissyHissy's Custom Wants mod, too? You need that to make the wants show up.

    @loubyloulou I have Custom Wants 2.2 installed. That's in its own folder, and the Wants and Fears mod is in another. They aren't inside of other folders so they are only one folder deep. The third mod was Rex's Custom Wants mod that she had linked on her site, which is in its own separate folder.

    I'm thinking, merge them all together into one folder maybe? The custom wants may very well be in there, but my sims keep getting the old familiar ones. The only thing I really need at this point is a mod to stop fears. If I can keep the fears away I can ignore the wants the same as I had been doing with whims.
  • AnastaciaAnastacia Posts: 9 New Member
    I really don’t like my sims keep wanting to quit there jobs. And it popped up when the bills came and it was 17,000. Hmmm no buddy you are not quiting you are the only one working in the house. He is married with 3 kids soooo no
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,513 Member
    @DaniRose2143: You could try the feartweaks module of my whimoverhaul, that one significantly reduces the changes of a fear popping up.
    Thank you, EA, for patching toddlers and infants in.- My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,240 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    @DaniRose2143: You could try the feartweaks module of my whimoverhaul, that one significantly reduces the changes of a fear popping up.

    Thank you, I just downloaded it. After I get a few chores done I will try it out.😁
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,240 Member
    @83bienchen I've had a couple of hours in the game with your whimoverhaul and it's certainly an improvement. At the very least I feel more comfortable leaving my sims alone while I'm with another household in the rotation. Nobody has popped up with a fear and I'm seeing the third want appear more frequently. With your mod installed I've left wants active and rerolled them occasionally with my little workaround. I still don't think it's a feature I'm going to use much once we can shut it off full stop. But the weird and totally out of character wants haven't come back. My worry is still, when do wants and fears turn themselves back on. Does it happen the instant I leave, or drop in?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top