Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions on Werewolf Appearances?

Comments

• Options
    SommoreButtaSommoreButta Posts: 489 Member
    Their not what I expected. Granted I didn't expect anything werewolf related. Their cartoony, which is what the Sims are, for the most part. I want to see what all comes with the game pack. I may not even use werewolves. Just like I've never used vampires or paranormal. But the extra items might be cool. Who knows!
    sdaomhlfplv5.png Bestie's In Sim Form
  • Options
    ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 278 Member
    I like the look. I am getting Zootopia vibes and I'm not mad. They look approachable :D
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I think it's a great improvement from previous Sim games. I do look more like werebeasts but im ok with that. I have no idea what goes into animating and graphic design, but I'm sure they did the best they could with in their parameters.

It's the first pack I've looked forward to since Cottage Living.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,987 Member
    edited June 2022
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    screen2werepack-768x432.jpg
    Image can be found here
    I had looked at this picture last night. A lot of the wolves give me a children's Little Red Riding Hood vibe, but the one on the bottom far right looks exactly how I would want my werewolves to look.

I don't think we'll get it, but I would love to have my wolves bulk up when they transform into their wolf form, but not be a hulking mountain of muscles in human form, especially my ladies. Since we can't do that with the vampire normal/dark forms I doubt we'll suddenly gain the ability to have separate bodies sizes for our wolfies. A girl can dream can't she?

Did anybody else hear Jaqen H'ghar or Arya Stark when they read 'A girl'? I heard Arya as I was typing it.

Well, they did say that the beast form can be unlinked from the sim's usual form, so I take that to mean that we could make the beasty one bulkier than the original sim. I hope so, anyway. I especially want to make my beasts with larger heads, but without affecting the head size of the original sim.

Maybe we can change it after unlinking? I didn't think we could alter their physique, I thought that was permanently linked? There may be hope yet.

I haven't heard about details yet for the werewolves, but I'm hoping that the forms can be linked/unlinked in the same ways as vampires, which have several different options if you want some parts linked and others unlinked (or you can do a complete link or complete unlink). I've made a few of my vampires look vastly different in their dark form than they do in their human form, but I haven't actually tried altering the body on those. However, there is a body option in the link/unlink submenu, so I assume it can be edited to at least some extent.

I tried it once in the early days after getting vampires and it wouldn't let me give them two different bodies. That may have changed over time. I have a bad habit of not reading the notes on updates. And I haven't been here long so there were a lot of updates over that time that could have added that feature and it would have gone unnoticed by me. I'll have to check when I go into my game shortly.
  • Options
    @KyreRoen Thank you for that information. I didn't think much had changed as far as body mods between forms.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2022
    One thing I'm really happy about is that this is the first time we can have a sim look fully non human without it being a costume 🥰
    I can't wait to play with them in CAS
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    One thing I'm really happy about is that this is the first time we can have a sim look fully non human without it being a costume 🥰

First without a costume or a cheat. I used to take any sim I knew had been abducted, when they returned I'd turn them into aliens. They were unfortunate victims of alien experiments. It lasted as long as it took for my favorite sim to be abducted and that put and end to that.😁 Also I think there's a cheat to turn a sim into a servo.

• Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,293 Member
    I’d like to know about heterochromia. Do you think we’ll get it? I didn’t see it anywhere in the trailer so I’m guessing not. Poop!
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Wasn't sure how I felt looking at the cover. But after watching the trailer they grew on me quickly! My favorite is the white wolf playing the guitar. I hope they're in game when it comes out. So yes, I think they're cute. lol Also I glad to have the "option" of dressing the werewolves. I think of Winston in Overwatch wearing glasses and safari outfit. Super cute.

I did do a lot of laughing when people called the were's furries (lol). Took me back to that episode on CSI Las Vegas about the Furry Convention. I didn't know it was a thing.... :p
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    I really like them. They look fun and there are plenty of customization options to make them scarier, friendlier or goofier looking. I'm curious how much CAS freedom we get with the dark for though.
  • Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    screen2werepack-768x432.jpg
    Image can be found here
    I had looked at this picture last night. A lot of the wolves give me a children's Little Red Riding Hood vibe, but the one on the bottom far right looks exactly how I would want my werewolves to look.

I don't think we'll get it, but I would love to have my wolves bulk up when they transform into their wolf form, but not be a hulking mountain of muscles in human form, especially my ladies. Since we can't do that with the vampire normal/dark forms I doubt we'll suddenly gain the ability to have separate bodies sizes for our wolfies. A girl can dream can't she?

Did anybody else hear Jaqen H'ghar or Arya Stark when they read 'A girl'? I heard Arya as I was typing it.

Well, they did say that the beast form can be unlinked from the sim's usual form, so I take that to mean that we could make the beasty one bulkier than the original sim. I hope so, anyway. I especially want to make my beasts with larger heads, but without affecting the head size of the original sim.

Maybe we can change it after unlinking? I didn't think we could alter their physique, I thought that was permanently linked? There may be hope yet.

I haven't heard about details yet for the werewolves, but I'm hoping that the forms can be linked/unlinked in the same ways as vampires, which have several different options if you want some parts linked and others unlinked (or you can do a complete link or complete unlink). I've made a few of my vampires look vastly different in their dark form than they do in their human form, but I haven't actually tried altering the body on those. However, there is a body option in the link/unlink submenu, so I assume it can be edited to at least some extent.

Aside from the unlinking aspect, I get the impression from the trailer that they already get bigger looking in their werewolf form. In the trailer, all the werewolf forms were larger than their human form, and you can even see it on the cover picture. Look at the body shape and size comparison, even the shoulder height is different. I wonder if that may be part of why the heads are a little small, to accommodate for a larger body, without making them taller.

thesimsgermany.jpg

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 883 Member
    When I first saw the werewolves, they looked a bit too cartoony to me.
    However, the trailer grew on me, and when it looked like they could be customized, it made the looks of them okay-looking.
    I want to get the game, and make my own versions in CAS.
  • Options
    lukeviilukevii Posts: 2 New Member
    are werewolves supposed to look like cats? then if so I like it :)
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    I do find it a bit amusing that people are talking about werewolves as if there is only one true depiction and not something from folklore and mythology of many different cultures with further depictions in modern film and fiction.

For example, this is what Wikipedia has on the subject:
    "The beliefs classed together under lycanthropy are far from uniform, and the term is somewhat capriciously applied. [...]

Werewolves were said in European folklore to bear tell-tale physical traits even in their human form. These included the meeting of both eyebrows at the bridge of the nose, curved fingernails, low-set ears and a swinging stride. One method of identifying a werewolf in its human form was to cut the flesh of the accused, under the pretense that fur would be seen within the wound. A Russian superstition recalls a werewolf can be recognized by bristles under the tongue.[32] The appearance of a werewolf in its animal form varies from culture to culture, though it is most commonly portrayed as being indistinguishable from ordinary wolves save for the fact that it has no tail (a trait thought characteristic of witches in animal form), is often larger, and retains human eyes and a voice. According to some Swedish accounts, the werewolf could be distinguished from a regular wolf by the fact that it would run on three legs, stretching the fourth one backwards to look like a tail."

At least we didn't get Swedish werewolves, right?

And then, we can consider that most of our visions of werewolves comes from modern pop culture, which too also vary greatly in appearance, some turn into full on wolves (like Twilight) while some just turn into hairier humans with claws and teeth (like the 1985 film Teen Wolf). The type we got in the Sims 2 and 3 seem like the latter, with heavy inspiration from the classic film from the 40s, the Wolfman, for the Sims 2, while the Sims 3 version is more akin to the Teen Wolf TV series that was popular at the time.

In my opinion, the inclusion of a tail would make these werewolves look more "furry" not less, especially given that most depictions of werewolves (except the actually is a wolf werewolves) usually do not have tails. I do think some people forget the "were" bit and just focus on the "wolf" bit. They were never going to get to a design where everyone will be happy.

There are also mechanical issues to think of. Tails and non human legs would have interfered with every pants option in the game, unless they went full mermaid and gave you like 5 legs to choose from, limiting the customisation. Not to mention the amount of clipping not just with the pants, but objects (such as sitting down), other sims, and existing interactions and activities in the rest of the game (unless, again, they decided to restrict what you can do) and this is the official reason they gave on twitter why they have human legs. In addition, these tails would likely be static and motionless, or only move in certain interactions. These sort of things would be acceptable in Cc but not the official product.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 723 Member
    Honestly, I really like how they look. They suit the sims look and animation without being too cutesy.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    I do find it a bit amusing that people are talking about werewolves as if there is only one true depiction and not something from folklore and mythology of many different cultures with further depictions in modern film and fiction.

This is what I thought too. It seems so odd that people are focused on specific things when there have been so many variants over many generations. Like I never even expected tails. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had had them, or not. Or had they just turned into a full wolf form, I have seen that lore, so I wouldn't have been surprised or put off.

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,694 Member
    There are also mechanical issues to think of. Tails and non human legs would have interfered with every pants option in the game, unless they went full mermaid and gave you like 5 legs to choose from, limiting the customisation. Not to mention the amount of clipping not just with the pants, but objects (such as sitting down), other sims, and existing interactions and activities in the rest of the game (unless, again, they decided to restrict what you can do) and this is the official reason they gave on twitter why they have human legs. In addition, these tails would likely be static and motionless, or only move in certain interactions. These sort of things would be acceptable in Cc but not the official product.

I agree with everything you said here, but want to highlight this part. The mechanics have to be considered in any design like this. The closer the alternate form is to the base sim, the better it’s going to perform. If we want fully animated werewolves, they will have to conform, within a range of actions, to the base sim. And yes, what’s acceptable in fan produced content really isn’t in official releases.

• Options
    WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2022
    At first I wasn't sure, but after seeing it a few times I can certainly say that I don't hate it. As for whether I love it or not, I can't say until I actually play around with it.

A bit disappointed with the lack of digitigrade legs and tail, but it'll work.

Now let's just hope that Maxis doesn't forget about us occult sims again. Even if they made some occult themed kits (and updated the older occult life aspects like mermaids and aliens) every once and a while I'd be happy.
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,694 Member
    Werescythe wrote: »

Now let's just hope that Maxis doesn't forget about us occult sims again. Even if they made some occult themed kits (and updated the older occult life aspects like mermaids and aliens) every once and a while I'd be happy.

This would be nice. I would like some refreshes of existing packs, but some themed kits would be great.
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2022
    They seem a little cutesy for my taste. I would have preferred something more like the cc werewolf costume from Natalia-Auditore. These are more like the werewolves you can make with the furry mod. It's fine though, since I am using both types in my game already and have gotten used to the cutesy ones. At least now my vampire "werewolves" won't get killed from sunlight anymore.

• Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    After watching the trailer, several times, I love them! Omg, they are so much better than in Sims 3...no matter how hard I worked I could not make a decent looking were. I hated the underbite.

I can actually make a very charming looking wolf that would make the sims' females swoon, lol. Love these weres!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

For example, this is what Wikipedia has on the subject:
    "The beliefs classed together under lycanthropy are far from uniform, and the term is somewhat capriciously applied. [...]

Werewolves were said in European folklore to bear tell-tale physical traits even in their human form. These included the meeting of both eyebrows at the bridge of the nose, curved fingernails, low-set ears and a swinging stride. One method of identifying a werewolf in its human form was to cut the flesh of the accused, under the pretense that fur would be seen within the wound. A Russian superstition recalls a werewolf can be recognized by bristles under the tongue.[32] The appearance of a werewolf in its animal form varies from culture to culture, though it is most commonly portrayed as being indistinguishable from ordinary wolves save for the fact that it has no tail (a trait thought characteristic of witches in animal form), is often larger, and retains human eyes and a voice. According to some Swedish accounts, the werewolf could be distinguished from a regular wolf by the fact that it would run on three legs, stretching the fourth one backwards to look like a tail."

At least we didn't get Swedish werewolves, right?,

And then, we can consider that most of our visions of werewolves comes from modern pop culture, which too also vary greatly in appearance, some turn into full on wolves (like Twilight) while some just turn into hairier humans with claws and teeth (like the 1985 film Teen Wolf). The type we got in the Sims 2 and 3 seem like the latter, with heavy inspiration from the classic film from the 40s, the Wolfman, for the Sims 2, while the Sims 3 version is more akin to the Teen Wolf TV series that was popular at the time.

In my opinion, the inclusion of a tail would make these werewolves look more "furry" not less, especially given that most depictions of werewolves (except the actually is a wolf werewolves) usually do not have tails. I do think some people forget the "were" bit and just focus on the "wolf" bit. They were never going to get to a design where everyone will be happy.

Sadly, Wikipedia isn't always a great source for information.

The general assumption we have today that werewolves had no tail comes from mixing up werewolves and witches in christian mythology. Christians believe(d?), that witches transforming into animals always had an imperfection in their beast form. Because the devil transformed them and he is imperfect. A medieval writer in 1590 commented in his book about that subject that witches transforming into wolves lack a tail but actual werewolves do not.
    Interestingly there's a couple of christian myths relating to werewolves, one of which has god turning an entire tribe into them. As christians hold that their god is perfect, then unlike the imperfect devil, he would have duplicated a wolf exactly.
    Also all the depictions of werewolves that we have from any period and any country you care to investigate, shows them with a tail. The only exception I have been able to find to that is one solitary woodcutting that depicts what is believed to be a wolfman in the 'hairy human' version of a werewolf. He has no tail.

Lol I think my Autism is showing. Anyway. The reasons not to include a tail in the game make total sense. And regardless of what the myths or legends say, they all vary and there is no reason why the sims shouldnt have their own unique version.

I just wish they looked a bit more wolf and less generic canine round the muzzle.

• Options
    cyncie wrote: »
    Werescythe wrote: »

This would be nice. I would like some refreshes of existing packs, but some themed kits would be great.

I am very much on board with this, more occult everything. I'm serious when I say I want to love RoM, I'm trying to love it, but that would be the top occult refresh I want to see.

I'll second the occult only kits.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2022
    I like them and I think the suit the aesthetic of the game.
  • Options
    ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited June 2022

This is what I thought too. It seems so odd that people are focused on specific things when there have been so many variants over many generations. Like I never even expected tails. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had had them, or not. Or had they just turned into a full wolf form, I have seen that lore, so I wouldn't have been surprised or put off.

I mean, I think it's more about the fact that if they're making werewolves, one expects they at least look like wolves?
    Idk man, they do look weird a f, I'm not saying it's good or bad tho 😂 😂