Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions on Werewolf Appearances?

I noticed that a lot of people have strong opinions on this topic, and though I don't know if there a thread on this already or not, I wanted to start one if not.

My opinion is that they did the best the could while still making the werewolves fit into the normal sim range of proportions. I do think they look a little derpy, with those short snouts and non-digitigrade legs, but the alternative of waiting 4 more months for the pack as every kissing or walking animation is updated for werewolves would probably have been worse.

What do you think?

🐺🌕
Offering free hugs for your time of need.
8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif

Comments

• Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Too cartoonish for my tastes, but its fine. I find they look better in motion vs standalone screenshots.
  • Options
    MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    I am not a huge fan of how they look, but I will do my best to make them more beastly and terrifying.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I like them a lot. I think they fit in perfectly with the cartoony aesthetic of Sims 4. I did not expect them to change their leg shape. I didn't want them to be ugly, and it looks like we can do quite a bit of customization, so they can be bulky or slim. I'm sure there will be plenty of things we can do to make their faces more or less terrifying. The droopy ear is a good touch, and we can even give them a nose ring or a small earring. It looks like their scars will still show on the animal form, and judging by a screenshot I saw, they can be naked and not be pixilated.
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    Couldn't agree with you more, OP. They're not exactly what I was hoping for, but to some degree I do understand there were certain limitations in place. And considering that, I actually really like how they look! Yes they're a little bit goofy, but that won't be out of place in my save 😂
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    BookBear wrote: »
    I noticed that a lot of people have strong opinions on this topic, and though I don't know if there a thread on this already or not, I wanted to start one if not.

My opinion is that they did the best the could while still making the werewolves fit into the normal sim range of proportions. I do think they look a little derpy, with those short snouts and non-digitigrade legs, but the alternative of waiting 4 more months for the pack as every kissing or walking animation is updated for werewolves would probably have been worse.

What do you think?

🐺🌕

Your opinion sounds very similar to mine. I completely understand why they chose the style they did, and I won't complain because I didn't expect anything very different. I did hope, of course, but that's not quite the same thing. ;) I can't say I like the style, but I don't hate it, either. I think I can make it work for my story purposes. Well, most of them, anyway. And I'm sure CC will eventually come around to help with at least some amount of further customization.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    They are more cutesy than I would have expected but a vast improvement upon the Sims 3 werewolves. I very rarely played those because I hated their appearance so much.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I like the cartoonish artstyle, it's why I like Sims 4 so much to begin with. I was already using the Furry Mod to make Tabaxis and Dragonborns, and these werewolves look pretty similar to that mod, so I'm happy. I'm a Maxis-Match user. All my occults and CC fantasy creatures will look similar~

I really couldn't imagine a Sims 4 Werewolf that didn't look like a furry, though. It just wouldn't match the rest of the game. The Werewolf mod that came out a few months ago looks like it belongs in Sims 3, not Sims 4.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Both Digitigrade legs and bushier fur would cause insane amounts of clipping. The fur less so, but it would need a "mask" for every item of clothing in the game to avoid it. The legs also would require a lot of reworking animations as the OP said, as I find digitigrade legs a pain in the behind to work with in Daz Studio, and there I'm only doing stills. I don't try to animate them for a reason.

likewise, the head is probably as elongated as they could make the face and still maintain facial animations without distortion.

So I'm perfectly fine with the more "fursona" toon looking werewolves we got. They're still better than Sims 3 Werewolves.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    I think the clothing makes them look goofier. I’ve seen a couple of screenshots now with naked werewolves and they look infinitely better without the clothes on. I don’t mind the accessories but the clothes just look… odd to me. I can work with it. I’m going to be practicing my werewolf making skills for days when the pack first drops though I can feel it!

I also don’t get the cats comparison if anything they look more bear like especially the white ones. I thought the black and white werewolf with the guitar in the trailer was a panda and there was another one a bit later that looked like a polar bear.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Well, they indeed took a different direction than the previous games...

I don't have any strong feelings about the design.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I've seen people mention the appearance reminds them of Cats musical - but I personally liked the look of the cats, so yeah I like the werewolves too :*
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I don’t like the feet especially but as long as we can shape the heads to our liking I’m not as concerned
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited June 2022
    I like them though yeah tails and more scary vibe would have been lovely

but I think since they're apparently doing the paint your own thing? we might be able to make them look somewhat more spooky with some paint paint brush brush

aand i might also get me some werefoxes with this even if they call them werewolves so thats neat

also I'm glad they don't for example all have same body shape fur colors or whatever so theres that

i think it would have been nice to have some more rough/bushy fur options though maybe thats the thing that bothers me they're all very neat looking
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I'm not an occult player, if I will buy this pack it will be just to play around with it so it's not a huge deal but...

No, I do not like what they look like. When I saw the cover I thought that was just because of the art style but when I saw the trailer... I think they look very cartoony. I do not think of werewolves when I see them. I think of anthropomorphic animals.

The pictures that people on twitter have posted showing werewolves dressing up in suits and sunglasses doesn't help. So right now I hope that there is some way you can get them to look more like wolves.
  • Options
    AlpacapybaraAlpacapybara Posts: 32 Member
    Do you know those images that show that all planets could fit on the distance between the earth and the moon? I'd need thrice that to convey just how far ahead I think these werewolves look in comparison to whatever we had before. Such a massive improvement over 3 for a start, yeah maybe not the spookiest but the vibe is there.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    As others have said, they aren't exactly what I was picturing/hoping for but I am quite happy with how they look for the most part. They fit in with the in-game graphics perfectly and between painting their fur, the scars, and making use of the sliders I feel we'll be able to create some pretty cool and somewhat creepy looking werewolves. It will just take a little bit of creativity. I'm definitely more in favor of them after seeing the trailer today than I was with just the cover art yesterday. And even then, I was neutral leaning towards favorable. So all in all... they're not all that bad.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    It's the legs for me and the feet, too human. But when thinking back to the sims3 werewolves these new ones are a vast improvement, because they were just hideous.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Compared to the previous games, this version of werewolves is so much better. At least you can actually make good looking werewolves lol. There are some things that could be better, like the legs, face shape, and body shape. But if you think about it, every other life state has basically been a sim but with different eyes, ears, scars, and other small things. So they didn't really need to reanimate facial expressions and etc. So I think the fact that they actually made the wolf form actually look wolf like instead of just putting body hair on sims is applaudable.

And like other ppl mentioned there are limitations to how they can make them so I think that's the main reason they turned out the way they did.

I know a lot of ppl want them to look more scary and I hope it's possible when editing them in cas.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    They look much better than the render but I still get huge 'fursona' vibes. Which is ok with me as the customization looks very promising.
    Where's the tails though D:
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Too cuddly and tame for my taste, but I'm open to using cc, so I'm good. What I've seen of the animations (running on all fours, marking territory and some occult glow on the trailer sim's arm, need to re-watch to make sense of that) has already won me over.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I think that's the best you can do with the Sims 4 engine unless you literally turn them into wolves (like the stray in Sims 2 that could turn people into werewolves). But it is a very good "best", I am more than satisfied, as someone who loathed the Sims 3 weres (other than as a homage to the wolfman movies).

That said two things need to be pointed out:
    1. The "lycan legs" people want would be WAY too much to animate. Seriously. Besides no werewolf in older games had those anyway.
    2. "Fursona"... not more than the vampires look like cosplayers.

Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited June 2022
    Yikes. That is all.

Alright, so you know those people who'll accept anything because (in their words) it's either "better than something prior" or "better than nothing"? I'm not one of those people. I'm happy for those who want 1/100th of the "fursona" possibilities in The Sims, but at face value, this is a "yikes" from me. Again, just a first impression.

Can't say I'm mad at the sheer meme material, though.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Love them, hate the human feet.