Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it only me who turns off aging?

Just curious to know whether I'm the only one who decided to turn off auto-aging.

In a way I want my sims to age, but then at the same time I don't want my sims dying of old age after spending so much time on them on their careers and skills (I don't like using cheats). I do sometimes do birthday events for my younger sims.

I'd like to know what other simmers do!

Comments

• Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I think there are a fair amount of people who play with aging off. I'm one of them. I get stressed if there's a "count down" to when they'll die so I tend to never let that happen. I age them when I'm ready but more than likely if I grow tired of certain sims I'll just save them to my library for later use. In a way they're all immortal in my game but not always active.

I have 28 households I rotate through currently. If I don't plan to use a sim ever again, some are just dull, they become townies in my save.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Yup :)

Aging off most of the time.

I play rotationally with 100s of sims. If I let the game age them, they would all be dead by the time I got round to playing them! :grin:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 707 Member
    I play with aging off. I play a large rotational game. I want to control when my sims age and who, if anyone, dies.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I think based on what I've read in other threads about how people play, aging off is almost more common than aging on. I play with it on, for active, played sims, but I use MCCC to extend the YA and adult lifespan....which also seems really, really common for those of us who do play with it on.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I only play with aging off. I get attached to my sims and don't want them to die. If I want someone to age up, I'll use the birthday cake. I love that we have that option.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Nope. Aging off with me, too. I age them up on my own schedule. Sometimes faster and sometimes slower than any of the programmed ranges. I don't find it particularly unrealistic either, considering the variety of randomness involved with growth spurts and mental maturity.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,056 Member
    edited April 2022
    I've always played aging off because I play veeery slow and having time limit to my schemes is just too stressful and i want to choose when my sims age up myself

+ i play multiple households these days so like itd be mess if they just aged on their own and sims be dead before i get to playing them at all
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    You're not alone. I always play with ageing off and manually age my sims up when/if I want to. I tend to get very attached to my sims and like to take my time telling their stories and enjoying each life stage. My main sim is a vampire though so he will always be with me.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,047 Member
    I've rarely turned it on. I get too attached not only to my sim(s), but each and every one that they have any level of friendship with. If one died i"d end up going back to the last save point and start over.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,392 Member
    edited April 2022
    I only play aging off when I start a new save, because I don't want to hurry with new Sims. I like them to progress with their careers and have some fun before they settle down and maybe start a family.
    I turn the aging on later, at least when my Sims have children. I have it normal or long lifespan depending on the save that I play. I never play aging off permanently, I don't want to age up Sims manually.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I played with aging off until neighborhood stories came out. Last time I played with aging on, the premades ended up dead without any descendants.

My played households, however, have auto aging turned off. My merfolk have eternal youth, the form of immortality that prevents death from old age and growing old. It's my play on the more beautiful and handsome appearance of Havmand and Havfrue, the scandinavian mermen and mermaids the little mermaid is based on.

I've been thinking about creating merrows in my game. The mermen merrows are more monstrous in appearance while the mermaid merrows are more beautiful. I'd still have auto aging turned off for them.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,898 Member
    Aging off, always. Played like that almost from the beginning, nearly 5 years ago. My first save was aging on, and a few of the older premades have died.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited April 2022
    I don't see any reason for Sims to die unless you get bored of things really easy and always want something new.
    I rarely ever get bored of anyone or anything so I tend to hold onto tightly to things and people. Sims included. My toddlers, kids, teens, adults and elders are forever stuck at that age. My poor toddler is probably like 'when can I grow up?'😅😅
    And some sims have been with me since I started playing ts4 and will continue to be with me!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Aging off for me as well. I manually age them if/when I feel like it fits their story. Sometimes that's early and sometimes it might be never because I enjoy the story I have going with those particular ages of my family.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,800 Member
    I play on Long. I wish we had Epic, that was my choice in Sims3. I do shut down aging when my Sims are in Uni. I really don't want the older generation to die off until they become grandparents, at least. I played Sims2 with aging off, which was a hint given for newbies in the little booklet that came with the base game disk. It was suggested to use until we got the hang of the game. Personally, I found the time way to short to truly enjoy my Sims. I would turn it back on only long enough for a Sim to age up then switch it off again. For a short time I played with aging on for only the Active household, but since I found it difficult to get back into the notion of true Rotational play, I have it set to all households.

With Sims3 that wasn't an issue. Best we got in Sims4 was Long. I also use MCCC and if necessary I will age a Sim myself, even those that aren't active. I'm almost always changing the number of days in the age bracket back to zero, to give them more time.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I play with aging off as well. I age up kids with the birthday cake when they complete an aspiration, level up some skills or another baby is born.
  • Options
    AaleynAaleyn Posts: 312 Member
    edited April 2022
    Currently I have aging off in all of my 4 saves, but I do like my sims to age so when I have aging off, I age my sims manually with a birthday cake, when I feel it's time for then to age. In all of my saves I play many households rotationally, and currently I have aging off because I want to have more time with my sims and proceed at my own pace. I do get very attached to my sims, and seeing my sims die eventually does make me feel sad, but I like my sims to live a "normal life" including death as a part of it.
    I try to avoid sudden, "unexpected" deaths (like for example emotional deaths etc.) with my own sims, but sometimes I might roll with it, if it would happen.

I'm going to set aging on at some point but I might then keep switching it on and off based on how I feel.
    When aging is on, I usually use the normal life span. Since I play rotationally and I want to keep things under my control, I use the option: "aging on only for active household".
    Currently the aging is off for all the sims, but I'm thinking that I'm going to set aging on for unplayed households (in other households) every once in a while, so that the life goes on in my sims worlds.

It's great that the settings can be changed easily based on everyone's own preferences and play styles 😊
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    In some of the other threads, it seems like aging off is more popular--at least on the forums.

I prefer to play with aging on, but I turn it off whenever I want to slow down a bit.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,472 Member
    Yup :)

Aging off most of the time.

I play rotationally with 100s of sims. If I let the game age them, they would all be dead by the time I got round to playing them! :grin:

This is why people love Sims 2 style aging - you can play with many households, but they only age up while you play them...prevents Sims from dying on you before you get to play them :smile:
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,574 Member
    @simmerorigin I love that we can play with ageing on for active household only. This is the way I play most of the time, so ageing off for everyone else.

Except for about 5 days per sim year. Then it's time to let all those unplayed sims get a little bit older.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @elanorbreton, that's EXACTLY how I do it too. It works so perfectly. I really like how they set up the options for aging on/off for us in TS4. It works so nicely.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I don't think I've EVER played with aging. Does make sims' death a hard choice though, since I have to actually choose to let it happen (from aging at least).
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,118 Member
    I always played with aging off, and now I have started a legacy which are currently on normal lifespan. To be honest though, I am so torn as to whether to stick with this or as other people have said, just age them up with a cake when I am ready.
  • Options
    GardeningSimmerGardeningSimmer Posts: 41 Member
    Hi!
    I turn off ageing and never let anyone die in my game, this may seem strange to many but I really enjoy playing this way! It is relaxing and I have a lot of time to do things, whenever I am bored of my sims I just make new ones with a new story! I really don't enjoy any parenting aspects of the game so I usually play only with young adults.