Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scenarios Coming To Base Game

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm looking forward to it. It might not be actual gameplay but I welcome any update in their quest to try and make a better game.

But couldn't you (I have) set a goal for your Sim like make X amount of Simoleans and get there any way you can, even with the flea market table? How is this any better than that? Can't we already cheat money down to Zero and play a rags to riches story in our head. Granted these Sims don't care they live on a vacant lot, and always happy, I don't see the point of Maxis making a UI change to play it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I don‘t understand the purpose of scenarios. They‘re just aspirations. The first challenge is basically a new UI for the money 0 cheat. The other one can be completed within less than 24 in game hours; just spam romance interactions with some random sim.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    oh and also i just noticed replaying it that they said something about scenarios could be limited for certain time

and if thats doing again the whole plantsim challenge thing where none of it can be done anymore if you werent there when the challenge was around... please don't do that with this.

I hate it when games have time limited thingies cause that just means everyone doesn't get to play it and why if the content exists let people use it TT
    In mobile games the time limit is so short than it‘s hard to complete it in time and get the rewards when you‘re a normal person that needs sleep and has a life outside of gaming. They usually charge you real money to buy extra time. If TS4 adds time limited scenarios then probably to test the waters as they plan to add this type of monetization into TS5.
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to it. It might not be actual gameplay but I welcome any update in their quest to try and make a better game.

But couldn't you (I have) set a goal for your Sim like make X amount of Simoleans and get there any way you can, even with the flea market table? How is this any better than that? Can't we already cheat money down to Zero and play a rags to riches story in our head. Granted these Sims don't care they live on a vacant lot, and always happy, I don't see the point of Maxis making a UI change to play it.

Yes of course we can, but with this it's something to work towards in-game and you don't have to keep track of it yourself. I'm not saying it's the best or what I wanted but I'll try it out regardless. I'd be happy with some more in-game goals (and challenges).
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited October 2021
    "Finding Love after a Breakup" should have been "Finding Love" imo. I still struggle with my souless sims. I usually play single anyway. When I play a married couple, it is amazing how autonomous the flirting is. It would be nice to see a townie auto flirt with my sim. When Don L. starts flirting away (without mods) then I think the game just might have changed and is moving the right direction. But when my sim flirts with Don L. (using him as an example) he will throw his flirty head around and talk about something off the wall, he never autonomously flirts back. They have no soul to them.

I did come back to S4 a few months ago. Nothing changed in the romance department(though my sim is farming non stop, lol). Do I need my hand held? No. I just need the game to give all sims a soul so I don't have to do all the work (if that makes sense).

The scenarios might be a good thing, I might try it out if one comes along that interest me.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    On the optimistic side.

In making the scenarios the programmers would come across many of the problems Simmers have done in trying the same types of challenges. It might mean a clean-up of bugs and tightening up of the game structure.

• Options
    0xx_Simmer_xx00xx_Simmer_xx0 Posts: 196 Member
    There's so many issues with The Sims 4, yet they're wasting time making pointless things like this. :/
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    To be sure, no money was deflected from fixing bugs or creating a pack for this. This is the art department and not a programmer.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    There's so many issues with The Sims 4, yet they're wasting time making pointless things like this. :/

Exactly. Why couldn't this money have gone towards making babies, cars, etc., instead of something most people don't want?
    It seems very out of touch with the community...
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2021
    "Finding Love after a Breakup" should have been "Finding Love" imo. I still struggle with my souless sims. I usually play single anyway. When I play a married couple, it is amazing how autonomous the flirting is. It would be nice to see a townie auto flirt with my sim. When Don L. starts flirting away (without mods) then I think the game just might have changed and is moving the right direction. But when my sim flirts with Don L. (using him as an example) he will throw his flirty head around and talk about something off the wall, he never autonomously flirts back. They have no soul to them.

I did come back to S4 a few months ago. Nothing changed in the romance department(though my sim is farming non stop, lol). Do I need my hand held? No. I just need the game to give all sims a soul so I don't have to do all the work (if that makes sense).

The scenarios might be a good thing, I might try it out if one comes along that interest me.

I was wondering about that particular scenario myself. After a breakup means there is some "mystery sim" your character was involved with, right? Will my new sim have a memory of his former partner so that while he goes out and gets on with life and love, this "mystery sim" still pops into his mind? Getting over a breakup in this game is not currently a challenge at all.

I really hope that if these scenarios go into the game, they mean something more than aspiration points -- they need to give the sims more life/more depth/more personality and, ultimately, more connection with other sims. I really don't want more narratives in the game; I want to see my sims react to their world.

I'm going to say this here: if I get into the game and try out that "Love after a Breakup" scenario and there is no challenge (i.e., my sim doesn't start heart-broken and aching for his former love), then what is the point? What does this scenario offer me that I can't get in my game already? Or will scenarios be like most everything else in this rendition of the game in that I'm encouraged to imagine what my sim is experiencing?
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    SAEldarin wrote: »

I was wondering about that particular scenario myself. After a breakup means there is some "mystery sim" your character was involved with, right? Will my new sim have a memory of his former partner so that while he goes out and gets on with life and love, this "mystery sim" still pops into his mind? Getting over a breakup in this game is not currently a challenge at all.

I really hope that if these scenarios go into the game, they mean something more than aspiration points -- they need to give the sims more life/more depth/more personality and, ultimately, more connection with other sims. I really don't want more narratives in the game; I want to see my sims react to their world.

I'm going to say this here: if I get into the game and try out that "Love after a Breakup" scenario and there is no challenge (i.e., my sim doesn't start heart-broken and aching for his former love), then what is the point? What does this scenario offer me that I can't get in my game already? Or will scenarios be like most everything else in this rendition of the game in that I'm encouraged to imagine what my sim is experiencing?

Without an Attraction or Chemistry system, there is no point to the "Love After a Breakup" scenario. I can easily find another sim and romance them in 5 minutes. No challenge at all.

Like you said, some of these challenges would be fun if the sims themselves had more personality and challenge, but they don't. It's pointless.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Well one can always make both Sims "unflirty" due to the breakup, and with negative feelings to each other, but that is something I could do today. I really dont need a update to play that scenario.
  • Options

Yeah, you have to start with a new sim (I think) which means it must be a mystery sim. Not sure if they would have memories though? but I would assume they would/should.

That would require breathing life into all the sims, which I would definitely welcome.

I don't want to imagine what my sims is experiencing, that would be a real let down!

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,464 Member
    Okay so...I'm not unwilling to try out Scenarios, maybe when one comes along that interests me. They said that there can be different outcomes and okay, that's good. But what about consequences? If I'm playing the money one and I decide I want my Sim to be a total scoundrel and cheat, steal and swindle all her money, is there going to be a consequence to choosing a nefarious lifestyle, is there going to be a risk factor of being caught? With no police in the game, what could possibly go wrong? Sims decide they don't like her and she takes a relationship hit? Oh nooo, not that. :| This has always been the problem with the Klepto trait because there's no real risk to getting caught. There's no outcome or sense of responsibility, it's all hunky-dory, life goes on as usual.

And like someone pointed out above, what about the break-up? Is the Sim going to actually remember their heartbreak, think about their lost relationship and what could have been? Are they suddenly going to have partner preferences and have a hard time finding the "right one"? Not likely.

It's great to get new features and systems, but when the gameplay has the same absence of real challenge and consequences it just plays out like any other feature. I don't need a "new" way to play, I need an enhancement to how I already play. Most Simmers already have their play style, especially after 7 years of the game's existence. Now I have to make a brand new household to use the feature at all? What about the 200 Sims I've already invested in from my years long rotational save?

With all that said, I could also see the Scenarios working somewhat like the old Sims 2 Aspirations. The Sim in question starts a Scenario and acquires a new meter interface that they have to maintain. While the meter is at 50% or higher, the Sims is doing okay, but if it drops below, the Sim starts to get stressed out because they're not accomplishing what they want in life. If they hit bottom then they have a meltdown. And while this kind of thing could make it more fun, again, I can't help but go back to the lack of consequences. What's the worst that could happen, the Sim gets tense for a while until they walk back into their beautifully decorated house and get happy again regardless? Would the Sim actually be "allowed" to have a meltdown because you know darn well that someone on the internet would get offended and then cancel culture comes running over to police the fun and the devs bend and say "Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am, we'll fix it right away ma'am, thank you for putting us in check".

Excuse me while I go to the balcony and shriek in frustration.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited October 2021
    bixters wrote: »

Without an Attraction or Chemistry system, there is no point to the "Love After a Breakup" scenario. I can easily find another sim and romance them in 5 minutes. No challenge at all.

Like you said, some of these challenges would be fun if the sims themselves had more personality and challenge, but they don't. It's pointless.

Yeah, there is no "Challenge" at all, what's the challenge here? What kinda people after 7 years have a hard time earning money or finding love when that is one of the main thing you can do in the game?

Love is one of the most boring things to do in the sims4 once you figure out exactly what to do, become friends with the sim, compliment appearance, flirt, compliment appearance, first kiss, and proceed. There is no chemistry, challenge or anything. A goal in the top left is not gonna do a thing.

Some gamechangers are not even bothering anymore, they take photos of the sim and cloudgaze because there is nothing new.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,259 Member
    they're wasting time making pointless things like this. :/

Everybody is different, it's never pointless when 1, 10 or 100 players enjoy a feature.

• Options
    I just bought HOB six days ago. My sim was doing an errand for the grocery store. One thing my sim had to do was deliver a rose to some man up on the hill? I think he gave me a box to give back to the lady running the grocery store. I get a notification later on that said something along the line of the rose meaning something more (sorry, I can't remember but it was cute and surprised me).
    Maybe this is like that, it will tell you what steps to take. Seems like there are 3 steps ex: (using the money one) 1=set money to 0, 2=????, 3=become a millionaire. So #2 is where you choose your path? till you get to the finish line?

Not sure about the Finding Love after a Breakup, but it would be nice if my sim was at a public place and someone delivered her a note from someone nearby. My sim reads the note and approaches that person and things start happening (chemistry wise?) Now, I would love it if that sim continued to wine and dine my sim, but I feel like my sim would have to do all that and pay the bill, lol.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,924 Member
    Scenarios might appeal to players like me.

I've never played a rags to riches. Never started a new household with only initial funds. I typically use free real estate and then proceed to furnish the home using motherlode. My sims complete skills, aspirations, careers, own businesses, etc because I find it fun. Not to make money.

There are quite a few careers and traits I've never played so right now I'm thinking about what type of sim I'll create and what path to take to earning $1 million simoleons. I might even create a male character because I typically play female sims. But for the short term a male sim might work.

I haven't cultivated a romantic relationship in my game for over 4-5 years. The main save I play consists of a household in which the parents have been married for years. Their oldest daughter recently moved out, necessitating my second save, and I think the romance scenario will be fun to play with her. Once it becomes available for existing saves.

And sure I could do this without scenarios but having the game keep track of progress, like a scoreboard, is appealing to me.
  • Options

I've never played a rags to riches. Never started a new household with only initial funds. I typically use free real estate and then proceed to furnish the home using motherlode. My sims complete skills, aspirations, careers, own businesses, etc because I find it fun. Not to make money.

There are quite a few careers and traits I've never played so right now I'm thinking about what type of sim I'll create and what path to take to earning $1 million simoleons. I might even create a male character because I typically play female sims. But for the short term a male sim might work.

I haven't cultivated a romantic relationship in my game for over 4-5 years. The main save I play consists of a household in which the parents have been married for years. Their oldest daughter recently moved out, necessitating my second save, and I think the romance scenario will be fun to play with her. Once it becomes available for existing saves.

And sure I could do this without scenarios but having the game keep track of progress, like a scoreboard, is appealing to me.

On page 8 you showed a transcript walk thru by SimGuruDuck I think. It said if you take the money challenge, something about the traits being "genius, perfectionist and self-assured". Does that mean they pick the traits or do we get to?
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Just to clarify a repeating misperception. You can use an existing save, what you can't do (yet) is use an existing household. It needs to be a new household for now.

• Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited October 2021
    I’m 50/50 on this. On one hand, it feels like they didn’t know what else to do, so they just took what players already do & made it an official part of the game. On the other, I think that it’s kind of nice that they implemented player made challenges into the game. As someone who’s never been able to complete a legacy or rags to riches challenge (I love to use the free real estate cheat, too, & give my sims everything that they could ever want :D) , I feel like this will force me to play by the rules, lol. I’m actually kind of excited about it & have already created a sim for it. :)
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member

I feel the same. I have never tried any of the challenges the community make except building.

It is FREE, they are not asking you to buy something. They have been adding a lot to the game recently for free. I love all the recolours they added to the base game.

With all that is happening in the world at the moment I think they are doing the best they can, like everybody else.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,924 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Just to clarify a repeating misperception. You can use an existing save, what you can't do (yet) is use an existing household. It needs to be a new household for now.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll probably wait until existing households are eligible for the romance scenario.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,536 Member
    edited October 2021
    I will give the Money scenario a whirl.
    I can give my Master Save file a test run playing a new sim in a world with sims I am already familiar with and know their backstories.

I will probably alternate between the two fortune aspirations as I play.
    I will also use CAS story mode to see if I can come up with an interesting sim to play.
    I have yet to use that feature.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I'm interested in finding out how they're going to set the money one up. I'll give it a try as long as I can pick the age, marital status, aspiration, and traits of the Sim I use.

I'm curious about the scenario that involves finding love after a break-up. I just started playing a Save File that I downloaded that includes a young adult couple that was created a few years ago for a Valentine's Challenge. One is a romantic, non-commital, materialistic Serial Romantic and the other is a creative, romantic, music lover with the Soulmate aspiration. I was going to try to make it work, but now I think I'm going to wait and use this couple to try out the scenario.