Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scenarios Coming To Base Game

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,541 Member
    edited October 2021
    Imagine if the Life Tragedies modder decided to make use of the new system.
    I wouldn't mind a danger and drama scenario where random events could happen to your sim's household.
    This way EA could add more excitement to the game, but it would only affect your game if you activated it.

It could be a mix of chance cards, unique moodlets, animated sim to sim, or environmental situations, dialogue pop-ups specifically telling you what one sim is saying to another sim, automatic game set ups that we usually have to use cheats to make happen, and a few unique objects as things to be used in the scenario, or as rewards.

Now that I could go for, not a simple UI text-based goal and minor game set ups.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Asking them to not make any more scenarios is a little pre mature when we don't even know what the other scenarios are like. Plus they could really add a lot more interesting scenarios in the future.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Are these scenarios optional? as by watching the livestream yesterday it looked as though they are not and you have to pick one for either a new or pre-existing saves. This is a feature I have no interest in but then a lot of the recent basegame updates I rarely use or like ie sentiments, story mode in cas and the recent likes and dislikes.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,541 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Asking them to not make any more scenarios is a little pre mature when we don't even know what the other scenarios are like. Plus they could really add a lot more interesting scenarios in the future.

This could be potentially good.
    Any of these scenarios that we create ourselves have one problem. There are no surprises, ever, because we are the ones inventing it.
    It's like building a World Adventures tomb that you really can't enjoy because you already know where all the traps are.

So what EA could bring to the table is some surprises and dynamism, along with ease of set up.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,358 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    Are these scenarios optional? as by watching the livestream yesterday it looked as though they are not and you have to pick one for either a new or pre-existing saves. This is a feature I have no interest in but then a lot of the recent basegame updates I rarely use or like ie sentiments, story mode in cas and the recent likes and dislikes.

They're optional. The game they had loaded on for demonstration purposes just didn't have any saves on it.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,071 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Idk I find it kinda meh for now
    I would have liked it better if:

• simmers can create and share scenarios on gallery

this would be nice way to bring challenges in to your game so you could track them easier

• scenario can be started in any household at any time (you don't need to start whole save over for it)

• sims had memory so they could remember having went through the scenarios

• you could do multiple scenarios with same sim

• there was more than one goal to a scenario

• scenario was linked to lore of specific household

say the way ts2 premade households all started with sort scenario ;) winkwonk id like to have that yes and with the scenes and all oh yes that'd be a bliss... so why not like that? :<

• scenario came with new gameplay
    like say your sims could be mid zombie attack or whatnot

•the scenario could sometimes start in gameplay (though you could cancel it like with the get married in 7 days thing)

• there was way to fail a scenario and have some type of failure ending to it

YES! Please! That would be amazing and actually add new gameplay - not just one goal that I can do without this anyway.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    CK213 wrote: »

This could be potentially good.
    Any of these scenarios that we create ourselves have one problem. There are no surprises, ever, because we are the ones inventing it.
    It's like building a World Adventures tomb that you really can't enjoy because you already know where all the traps are.

So what EA could bring to the table is some surprises and dynamism, along with ease of set up.

Yes I really think scenarios have potential to be interesting but we have to wait and see how much they will affect gameplay. The one they showed is really basic but the other one that had to do with romance could add other elements like make finding love more difficult or just other story or challenge elements that would make romance in the game more interesting.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    It would be good if failing it would have consequences. IDK, like losing money, maybe traits, relationships, satisfaction points,...
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,326 Member
    edited October 2021
    Maxis won't do something complex because it would be a lot of work and it could break the game.
    It will probably be as simple as Aspiration and Lot Challenge features.

Scenario is a Household Challenge Aspiration

• Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    netney52 wrote: »

They're optional. The game they had loaded on for demonstration purposes just didn't have any saves on it.

Thanks I was worried they would be enforced into my pre-existing saves.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,915 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Never mind, Simburian, I didn't write I'd be speaking for everyone.

If scenarios had been there at the start in 2014 they might have been applauded by newcomers to the game if not the past players.

EA is either trying to keep, or get new players or playing for time until the next version comes along and finding jobs for their pool of programmers to do in the meantime. They don't want to lose the continuity from one version to another.

I think any Sims 5 is taking longer than expected.
  • Options
    I hope whims get an overhaul along with the rewards store (I really don't like it tbh) and it's implemented with the scenarios. Like sims get whims based on the scenario they're going through. Idk I was thinking that aspiration points should lead to something different than the rewards store and maybe called something different like "lifetime points" and completing aspirations, whims, scenarios, etc. will have another benefit for your sim other than buying (basically) cheat potions.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited October 2021
    I'm a minority here because I'm excited about them. I'm interested to see what kind of scenarios we will have later. It's a free update, so even if you don't care about it, no money gets wasted. :)
  • Options
    I hope whims get an overhaul along with the rewards store (I really don't like it tbh) and it's implemented with the scenarios. Like sims get whims based on the scenario they're going through. Idk I was thinking that aspiration points should lead to something different than the rewards store and maybe called something different like "lifetime points" and completing aspirations, whims, scenarios, etc. will have another benefit for your sim other than buying (basically) cheat potions.

Also forgot to add that whims should also be based on traits, preferences, sentiments, and (if we ever get an actual memories system) memories.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    This past summer, we had an entire forum thread asking players how to make the game more challenging. There were some amazing, thoughtful and polite responses from the community.
    I am just baffled that after reading through all those replies, this was all the Sims team could come up with...

I can't imagine how they read through hundreds of replies from players telling them how to make the game more challenging, and this is all they could come up with.

That thread was only two months ago. Hundreds of posts with walls of text take time to go through and discuss, probably weeks before they even figure out which suggestions they could/would use, .

The thread was only 2 months ago but those same ideas and complaints have been here and asked for for years. There are hundreds of threads, petitions, tweets, comments, asking for the same things. Besides, majority of the themes asked for were present in the previous games, its not like it was breaking new territory. If it aint broke dont fix it??

Yes, but I think you missed my point.

The thread that was referenced in my post was actually requested by the developers, for the purpose of actually reading the whole thing and absorbing the feedback. It zeroed in on a specific purpose which is how to make the game more challenging, and while there are no concrete promises, it is reasonable to expect that some kind of new game development or tweaking will come as a result. The person I responded to was also referencing that post with the implication that they expected to see those changes already, and seemed to think this update is a direct result. I was merely pointing out that it doesn't happen that quickly and that these updates are unrelated to that thread. Hopefully we will see some good changes coming down the line. Hopefully.

Back on topic...

As for the"Scenarios" feature, I just don't see the use in it. It just seems like more guidance in the game, telling us how to play, which we already have in excess. It's more like story suggestions than anything, and it doesn't even effect existing households that I'm already invested in. I don't think I'd use it because I like to play my own way with less predictability.

It kind of seems like developers are trying to reinvent the wheel sometimes.

Like StrawberryYogurt states, the majority of the ideas presented in that thread had been talked about long before the specific Challenge thread started. You can look through Feedback and Ideas posts here years ago and find the same ideas. Similarly, on Twitter and other social media platforms. They had plenty of time (years) to think about Challenges in the game.
    Why did we even need that Challenge thread in the first place? They were well aware of what they could do. In my opinion, it was just a gesture, and I doubt anything will come of it.

Whether they had time to read and process the posts from the Challenge thread or not, I think the timing of the release of Scenarios was bad. Many of us spent a long time writing and thinking about those responses (myself included), making sure they fit their specific parameters. And Maxis released a half-baked feature that probably took them 10 minutes to program. It feels cheap.

In my opinion, this will probably be the only challenging feature we get in the future. Given how long it's taking for more highly requested items to come to the game (babies, cars, etc.), I doubt will see any ideas presented from that Challenge thread. If they plan to, I'd like to hear from one of the gurus about what they're doing with that information.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited October 2021
    I may have written this before, but I could get on board with the challenge thingy IF we could customize them and add rules ourselves AND if there was some actual gameplay rewards for completing them.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,961 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I believe a lot of Simmers get stuck in their same old ruts of doing things just one way every time to get to their goals.

If these new scenarios take Simmers out of their ruts and get them to look at the game in a different way, and use some of the other commands that are there to be used they might be quite useful. I am thinking of a speech by one of the past makers of the game who showed the depth the game could get to. Maybe Maxis might be working this way with Sims 4?

It might even be enjoyable to do a murder or solve it, (a la Christie) this way. if they give it more depth.

I'm hoping so anyway. You never know, do you?

oh the detective idea is awesome @Simburian
    ( @GirlFromIpanema I hope you saw this too! )
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I commented favorably earlier in the thread and after reading through everything I want to reiterate that. I like free stuff, and since I've never done a proper rags-to-riches (my no-longer-starving farmgirl doesn't count) I am becoming more and more interested. I'm not sure if I'd like the temporary scenarios, but I've never really gone from 0 to 1,000,000, and I find myself suddenly thinking about creating a new sim who starves for a while, goes to university, has loans to pay off, and become a spy or actress or something. Or both! I wonder if we can do both scenarios at once? I hope this will be fun and that we get more scenarios in the future.

Hmm, I could make her a black widow type, who marries for money and moves on after her hubby mysteriously vanishes... Maybe I'll let my farming Vampire Mama have a sister/cousin looking for a rich man after a breakup. Or I could have a couple of different sims going through one or the other scenario.

No matter what I choose to do, I'm gonna need more bachelors!
  • Options
    Scenario is a goal for the player, the sim doesn't know it and won't react when the goal is reached.

Aspiration, whim, lifestyle, scenario, skill mean nothing for the sims, just they obey.
    They are not enthusiast when they reach the goal and they aren't anxious when it takes too long.

It's still the lack of personality, they are soulless puppets.

I disagree about lifestyles. They aren't perfect but my sims definitely react when they, for example, have an outdoorsy lifestyle but are stuck inside. But for the others I agree. Kind of why I said aspirations and other things that earn aspiration points should be like an addition to a lifetime goal. I'm not sure how to explain it. But basically not completing it will make ur sim feel unfulfilled I guess.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Well, since I have a base save I start all my Sims from... I will actually never get to use this. Oh well.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Greyling wrote: »
    Initial reaction was one of confusion as in do people not know what to do with this game seeing as this gives off the impression that they find it necessary to set up storylines for us?

I think it might have to do with the constant flood of "no gameplay" feedback they get. They get the impression that the players don't have imagination to come up with their own ideas.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2021
    Well, since I have a base save I start all my Sims from... I will actually never get to use this. Oh well.

That's how it will work when it's first launched. Later, you will be able to use it with existing saves. Scenarios will be updated after they are added to the game.
  • Options
    Scenario is a goal for the player, the sim doesn't know it and won't react when the goal is reached.

Aspiration, whim, lifestyle, scenario, skill mean nothing for the sims, just they obey.
    They are not enthusiast when they reach the goal and they aren't anxious when it takes too long.

It's still the lack of personality, they are soulless puppets.

I disagree about lifestyles. They aren't perfect but my sims definitely react when they, for example, have an outdoorsy lifestyle but are stuck inside. But for the others I agree. Kind of why I said aspirations and other things that earn aspiration points should be like an addition to a lifetime goal. I'm not sure how to explain it. But basically not completing it will make ur sim feel unfulfilled I guess.

Lifestyles I LIKE. Seriously. But I think I am using a good approach: I di NOT aim for a lifestyle, I let the lifestyles happen depending on my gameplay, not the other way around.
  • Options
    SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    edited October 2021
    Please, pretty please... no limited-time-only-things. If you make something for the game, keep it in! I didn't buy the game in the first few years, because of the constant limited thing events (and the lack of occults). It's feel like a cheap mobile game. I don't like FOMO and don't play games that use these type of tricks.
    Post edited by Skyrryx on
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.