Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often do you use powerful/extraneous objects?

KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
Let me clarify:
Within TS4, there are objects that pretty much outclass most of what a sim can do, themselves:
  • Omiscan relics (Jungle Adventure)
  • Dr. June's Weather Machine (Seasons)
  • The Crystal Crown (Get Famous)
  • Sleeping Pod (Get Famous)
  • The Cloning Device (Get To Work)
  • The SimRay (Get To Work)
  • Serums (Get To Work)
  • The Whispering Wishing Well (Romantic Garden)
--and I'm sure I'm missing one or two.
How often do you make use of one or more of these objects?
Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
Post edited by KyreRoen on

How often do you use powerful/extraneous objects? 99 votes

Every playthrough (where it makes sense)
5%
bshag4lvemereFlapTTNsimmerfavriel 5 votes
Often (but not every playthrough)
7%
AnmirlaStarfreeRedShoe7FanPhoriaPeralFlikka_FlikkaEternalSunshine 7 votes
Sometimes
14%
CK213rudolphaBeardedgeeksimgirl1010Moon_WillowDarkLady2788HarukotyanMDianaSimsddd994llejenaSERVERFRARememberJoyDaWaterRatCalico45 14 votes
Rarely
20%
auroraael14Mariefoxprice83Echo17121loubyloulouDoloresGreytexxx78blur0seKarababy52OldeseadoggemustenijoRN1414logionWildIrishBansheehaisinGeralt_ofRiviaCelSimsKimmerReaganbogan[Deleted User]JunkyPoem 20 votes
Once in a blood moon, when the stars and planets align just right.
35%
Akl500PJueJueMonet11lisamwittSimpatsyannIsb917kokoro80invisiblgirlMysangreydonnhalloweenchildbixtersCAPTAIN_NXR783bienchenKamason14SheriSim57AgentJuliasinnyonceCattyBetsyGrumpyGlowfish 35 votes
Never
15%
Kita5399alexspoom13PlayerSinger2010Paigeisin5barracuda1574taydevsnoepjes1210BreazonaSAEldarinEvilyn_1007EliasVersaceIsharellZoeyevestermelsimSilverRavenWolfy 15 votes
Didn't know some of these existed, and I'd like to use them.
2%
SnaveXsQuaay 2 votes
Every playthrough, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.
1%
LesleyA 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Rarely
    I think I haven't used these items much, because some of them, such as the weather machine, feel like cheating (when I played TS2 at some point I stopped using some of the aspiration rewards because they felt like cheating and made the game too easy, so I think this is like an old habit of mine). Anyhow, lately I have started to think that I shouldn't just outright rule these items out of my options, but enjoy the possibilities they offer and use them if I feel like it, but maybe just in special occasions or with specific sims. It could be fun!
    • I have never used the crystal crown, but I'd like to try it someday.
    • One of my famous sims has a sleeping pod and she uses it. However, I thought it's pretty much a "normal" bed and just learnt about the things you can do with it. Pretty cool! Now I really want to give it to some evil sim who wants to hack dreams and lock sims in pods :naughty:
    • I have collected some omiscan relics and tested them a bit. I want to use them more, but I'm just waiting for to pick the right sim for that :smiley:
    • So far I have only used dr. June's weather machine when I tested bugs, but I placed it to the Bluffs not long ago, because I thought I might want to use it there someday if rain/thunder is going to wreck my sims' party and I don't want to come up with new plans. I also think I placed it in a water park in Brindleton Bay.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    That's about right. There has to be some reason in the course of playing that compels me to use them or I won't, and it doesn't happen often. I actually could have selected rarely.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Sometimes
    I usually have them sitting around or collected, but cannot always be bothered to work them optimally.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    The Crystal Crown is my guilty secret for one of my sims. I have never used the other objects, though, except the sleep pod.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Sometimes
    Only when the gameplay demands it, so when playing an adventurer or scientist. But I never really use the stuff that isn't tied to a career or aspiration.
    I might have used the weather machine more often if I didn't have MCCC to just cheat the weather.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Sometimes
    It definitely depends on the object. The sleeping pod? Quite often, actually. If I play a Scientist of course I use the Simray. NOT using it makes the Scientist boring.

I haven't used ANY other items of on the list, I think.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited October 2021
    Of those on the list, the only one I ever use at all is one of the Omiscan relics (the free money one). But even then I only ever use it for the rare jungle explorers in my saves who are too honest (and too poor) to be artifact smugglers who get too rich to ever need those relics. :smirk:

Edit: Well, the scientists do use the Sim Ray, but only for work-related things, so that probably doesn't quite count.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Rarely
    Not sure if I've ever really used them honestly. I'd probably use the sleep pods the most, but I have a lot of couples, so that doesn't work lol. At least I don't think it does. Otherwise, I may have used career-related ones in the career, but not otherwise.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Sometimes
    But only the Sim Ray. It's so much fun. >:)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Sometimes
    Mostly the Weather Machine & Sleep Pods.
    I like my seasons to last way longer than 28 sim days, I keep my sims in the same season as I'm in & in about 3 months of real life time by rotating back to the present day season at the end of the season with the Weather Machine.
    As for the Sleep Pods, I mostly use them in my SiFi households.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited October 2021
    Rarely
    I haven't played with these much (once in a moon option could fit too). I have cloned a sim. I've tested a relic. A family of mine has the crystal crown but I've never used it. What makes it so powerful? I have not used the weather machine, but I've recently placed it on two community lots. Yeah I think I want to incorporate some of these more into my gameplay. Would only use them with specific sims though.
  • Options
    JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    Rarely
    Sleeping Pod - irl, there's nap stations in offices I've worked in. So I've added to community lots: University Commons, Nightclubs & Spas. Or in an alien's house

Omiscan Relics - in trophy rooms for the wealthy, not for 'usage' only to view

Everything else has been experimented with, but cheats over objects
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2021
    Rarely
    I've never used the Crystal Crown, Sleeping pods or Weather machine. The only time I've used the relics was to fulfill the aspiration. However, I LOVE the Scientist career and have played it with many, many Sims so have used the Cloning machine and SimRay extensively! The Serums? Not so much, but I have used them.

Curiously, even though I've used the Cloning machine quite a bit, I've never tried cloning a Sim with it. The reason being I like to play small households, usually only one single Sim, maybe a couple and a child. I don't want another Sim that looks just like my Sim that may end up evil as well hanging around the house.

I'd probably get them mixed up and make a horrible mistake, like perhaps sending the clone to woo hoo with the original's spouse or something. o.O That is, IF you can control them, I don't think you can. Maybe? Obviously I know very little about them. I just think it would be cringeworthy having a clone. :# Perhaps in the right circumstances it would be fun. But it's just not for me. *shrugs*

EDIT: Also, though I've played several Spellcasters who know the spell, I've never used Duplicato for the same reasons!
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I might try them out once, just to see what they do. My Sims don't live lives with a lot of drama, and for me, the challenge of the game is simply getting through the real-life tasks.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I usually forget they exist because I don’t spend much time in Build/Buy mode, so I don’t see them in the catalogue. My scientist sims use all their tech on random stuff (and will occasionally have a clone running around). My archaeologist has used the artifacts a few times, but I still haven’t run across the combo that makes them a skeleton. That’s the one I’m really interested in. In both those instances, I find the items through gameplay so it feels less cheaty to me.

I need to remember to add some weather machines in Brindleton Bay and HoB - those worlds are too rainy.
  • Options
    LesleyALesleyA Posts: 30 Member
    Every playthrough, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.
    My scientist dropped a cloning machine outside there home so now anybody who wishes to sneak up and clone stuff can. As for sleep pods I didnt know they were in the game :blush:
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    Often (but not every playthrough)
    I use the Crystal Crown quite often when I want to speed up skilling, fame or career leveling for my super sims. The hematite crystal recharges the fun need & boosts job performance which helps my Sims get promoted faster. The diamond crystal recharges social need & boosts fame gains. Certain crystals also give skill boosts when in the crown:

Crandestine (Get to Work) recharges all needs except energy & boosts painting/writing/creativity skills
    Amazonite (Jungle Adventure) boosts the archeology & mental skill & recharges all needs except hunger
    Amethyst recharges hunger need & boosts logic & mental skill
    Jonquilist fills needs except energy & boosts charisma & social skill
    Plumbite fills needs except energy & boosts fitness & motor skill

However, for faster skilling I generally just use a peach crystal in the crown (which keeps a Sims bladder need full) then I have the Sim drink snaggle fluster (& if the Sim has access, they also drink a potion of Nimble Mind) prior to working on a skill for a large boost.

Here's a good list of crystals & their effects: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Celestial_Crystal_Crown

I use the weather machine occasionally (most often to prevent rain during Geek Con).

I generally only use the Omiscan relics in order to complete the Jungle Explorer aspiration & to summon the skeleton assistant.

I have tried the freeze ray function of the Sim Ray. But, I haven't tried the other features yet.

I have not used the other objects yet.
  • Options
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    I've never used the Crystal Crown, Sleeping pods or Weather machine. The only time I've used the relics was to fulfill the aspiration. However, I LOVE the Scientist career and have played it with many, many Sims so have used the Cloning machine and SimRay extensively! The Serums? Not so much, but I have used them.

Curiously, even though I've used the Cloning machine quite a bit, I've never tried cloning a Sim with it. The reason being I like to play small households, usually only one single Sim, maybe a couple and a child. I don't want another Sim that looks just like my Sim that may end up evil as well hanging around the house.

I'd probably get them mixed up and make a horrible mistake, like perhaps sending the clone to woo hoo with the original's spouse or something. o.O That is, IF you can control them, I don't think you can. Maybe? Obviously I know very little about them. I just think it would be cringeworthy having a clone. :# Perhaps in the right circumstances it would be fun. But it's just not for me. *shrugs*

EDIT: Also, though I've played several Spellcasters who know the spell, I've never used Duplicato for the same reasons!

Yep, you can control clones, at least if they're clones of your playable sim. The game automatically adds them to your current household as the sibling of whomever cloned them. I've had two different scientists make a clone, but in both cases I altered enough about them not to get them mixed up. :lol:

The first one became part of the scientist's story, wherein both "brothers" passed the clone off as a "cousin" instead of a sibling because that seemed easier for them to explain. The clone only lived in the same household for a little while, though; he soon moved into his own place and had his own life as a musician. He's actually still alive in that save, but he's an elder now; his creator/brother/fake-cousin died of old age quite some time past. I didn't keep the other clone in the same save as his scientist/brother; after I changed a few of his details I saved him in a separate household to my library and then deleted him. I plan to import him into a different save at some point. Storywise, that scientist considered that cloning incident a "failure," so in his story no clone ever existed.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Karababy52 wrote: »

Yep, you can control clones, at least if they're clones of your playable sim. The game automatically adds them to your current household as the sibling of whomever cloned them.
    @VeeDub
    Actually, I've made quite a few clones, and they come out as the siblings of the person who is cloned, not the person using the machine to do the cloning (unless they are the same person, of course). Regardless, even if they are an NPC's clone, they end up in the active household and are playable. I say this simply because I've had the person who did the cloning date the clones of others, and have made siblings for the spouses of those doing the cloning, as well.

@Karababy52
    As for mixing them up, they come out with different names (though same last name), and have none of the same relationships as their originals (so they won't be in love with your sims' spouses, for example). As for Duplicato, the clone is limited to certain commands (unless you add them into the household), is unplayable, and disappears after a time, so there's no worry of mixing them up.
    musteni wrote: »
    A family of mine has the crystal crown but I've never used it. What makes it so powerful?
    @musteni
    Alongside what has been listed, each crystal in-game (including those added by packs) affects needs, emotions, interactions, and/or skilling...all for the only side-effect of being laughed at if another sim sees yours wearing the crown (which causes embarrassment).
    Post edited by KyreRoen on
  • Options
    KyreRoen wrote: »
    @VeeDub
    Actually, I've made quite a few clones, and they come out as the siblings of the person who is cloned, not the person using the machine to do the cloning (unless they are the same person, of course). Regardless, even if they are an NPC's clone, they end up in the active household and are playable. I say this simply because I've had the person who did the cloning date the clones of others, and have made siblings for the spouses of those doing the cloning, as well.

Ah, good to know. I never did clones with any besides my own currently played sim (the two scientists I mentioned). I did vaguely wonder if cloning someone else was even possible, but apparently I wasn't interested enough at the time to try and find out. :lol:
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    I mostly stay away from these kind of objects. But not too long ago I did use the wishing well (does that count for this list) for the very first time to revive a sim without cheating or going through all the hassle to make ambrosia
  • Options
    SanniSilliSanniSilli Posts: 164 Member
    I use them very rarely, mostly because I forget they exist 😅 I have a great collection of relics, used them to complete the jungle aspiration. And oh, also put a sneezing curse on my sim's ex-boyfriend's new wife xD

Thanks for this thread, I already got some new ideas to shake things in lives of my sims a bit... :wink:
  • Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I mostly stay away from these kind of objects. But not too long ago I did use the wishing well (does that count for this list) for the very first time to revive a sim without cheating or going through all the hassle to make ambrosia
    Ah, that'd be one of the two I'd forgotten.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Sometimes
    Thanks for the poll.
    It inspired me to place a sleeping pod in my Uni dorm's science lab.
    10-02-21_12-43-18_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I had a sim I was playing drop by the dorm and couldn't resist adding an upgrade.
    One of the dormies couldn't resist the pod while he was working on it.
    10-02-21_11-36-14_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I prefer a more realistic gameplay and think the game can be a little too easy to begin with so I don't like to use those items unless its a save where I don't care about playing with cheats. I have 2 saves currently. One for strictly building things and just playing around and one where I achievement hunt without cheats and play through some generations.