Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop or Desktop?

Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
What kind of system do you play your The Sims games on if you play PC version of them?

What brand of system? (HP, Dell, etc)
Do you have all the games or some?

Have you had any technical issues with your system?

If you’ve played or play on both, which do you prefer?

Laptop or Desktop? 312 votes

Laptop
38%
mikepapaycikhotwheelsjillNh6650BreeSashaKita5399Brd709djacquelynstewIceyJlove7680sims2freak737TWSimGamer82lisamwittHazellmcruddIsb917CorkysPetalsGoddessBylinecchant86FlashMarkerglory_joy 119 votes
Desktop
51%
Akl500PcrocobauraBluegayleauroraael14CK213Frn0731vancanuckfan86Kamiotams2578Mstybl95GalacticGalIcewolfMichelleWIrishSimmer21alexspoom13alan650111BlkBarbiegalaelias24AlexaiHowGreatThouArt 160 votes
Both
10%
Goldmoldarblunote00MartinvWrenryJueJueAuroraBoreallissimgirl1010Paigeisin5fruitsbasket101Amj1995LizzychicagoMirichaFelicityClassicalSimFairy_HappyThisSentenceIsALieWinifred_Willowcatmando830KelvinRedShoe7 33 votes

Comments

• Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Desktop
    Laptops, like Mac computers, simply aren't designed to handle gaming... the specs don't matter either. Even "gaming" laptops have extremely watered down specs compared to a PC. Also, not to mention the excessive heating issues laptops generally have... they overheat much faster and more easily than regular desktops.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Desktop
    Desktop PC always for me. I’ve never found laptops to be good for gaming not even so called gaming laptops are good when compared with desktop PC’s.
  • Options
    Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    edited March 2021
    Laptop
    i've been using laptops. For my 1st Sims 2 game, it was installed on a Dell computer. When playing the sims 2, i always got "the alimast display driver has stopped working, game will terminate". Switched over to HP and is fine no problems.
    For the sims 4, i have an HP and everything runs smoothly in the sims 4. i have no problems whatosever
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited March 2021
    Laptop
    HP, gaming, I play on ultra, runs smooth, no technical issues
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited March 2021
    Desktop
    If you're gonna game, then do it efficiently. That's my motto at least :lol:

To game on a laptop with ultra graphics you will need to spend much more money than you would on a desktop. So if you're on a budget a desktop could save you sometimes even half the amount of money you would pay on a laptop or mac.
    Laptops are very susceptible to overheating and that is a no-go when it comes to gaming. They will generally give you more issues, and will be less powerful for more money.

Another thing that I personally felt was that buying a desktop was a good investment. I bought it only to be able to play on ultra settings but I thought I'd spend an extra 200€ on buying something extra powerful. Now I know no matter how many packs I buy or even if the Sims 5 comes out and I want to play it, I will likely be able to with no issues. To do this on a laptop I'd have to spend double the amount of money and then still wouldn't be sure it can handle the next generation Sims games.

In my opinion the only reason to buy a laptop is for mobility reasons. In every other way a laptop will be inferior than a desktop.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited March 2021
    Laptop
    If I played more than just TS4 as far as games go, I'd consider getting a nice gaming desktop computer, but since this is the only game I play, I just play on my laptop. I recently got a new laptop though (In November, I upgraded from a 2015 Macbook Pro to a 2020 Macbook Pro) and I can play with almost all my settings on ultra and even with a lot of CC in my game, it runs pretty smoothly most days, so in the end, I'm very satisfied with my playing experience. I know not all laptops can support the game nicely though, so I am glad that the computer I wanted anyway ends up running the game pretty nicely for me as well.

I need a portable computer to do my digital art, since I often need to bring my work with me, which is why I need a laptop to be my main computer rather than a desktop.
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    Laptop

I currently play on a new HP Omen laptop that I bought on Black Friday:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-1tb-ssd-mica-silver/6407752.p?skuId=6407752

Prior to that, I played Sims on an HP Pavilion laptop:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/821735-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_QD977UA_ABA_dv7_6199us_Notebook_PC_steel.html

I currently own 8 EPs, 8 GPs, and 12 SPs, and I have had no issues playing Sims 4, and all of the packs, on either one. On my old Pavilion, I also had the complete Sims 2 collection installed as well. I prefer the portability of a laptop.
  • Options
    Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
    Both
    I currently play TS4 on a Razer Blade laptop, which works very well. I would like to have a nice desktop, but I don’t have the means for one right now.
    I played TS2 on desktop and TS3 on both laptop and desktop, but the systems back then for me were different and less expensive so I didn’t expect high quality gaming.
    I like my laptop because I can easily travel with it. I do use a cooling pad due to its high temps.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2021
    Desktop
    I have the Skytech Archangel II, I bought mine in late 2017. It came with AMD Ryzen 5 1400,GTX 1060 3GB, 1TB HDD,16 GB DDR4, Windows 10 Home Edition. So far I have had no issues with it. The graphics are great, I haven’t even used half of the 1TB HDD yet, despite having TS4 - all dlc, TS3 base game and 2 expansions , and The Sims Medieval Pirates & Nobles installed along with a lot of Sims4 cc and mods. The Archangel is still available but I think it now of course comes with newer bells and whistles. The game runs smoothly, I don’t experience a lot of the lag and bugs many complain about and I run all of them on ultra settings when I play them. I love my machine. 🥰
    Post edited by Pamtastic72 on
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited March 2021
    Laptop
    HP Omen gaming laptop. Nvidia GTX 1050.
    I bought it on 2017 after Cats & Dogs was released because my old toaster laptop couldn't handle the game anymore. I play on medium graphics. I used to play on high graphics but I've had to lower them to medium because of the lag issues.

I have a lot of lag, but it usually goes away in 15-30 minutes on live mode. I often pause the game right after I enter the live mode, because the lag is so bad that the game is almost unplayable. Then I wait about 30 minutes tops, unpause and then I can usually play without lag. I have no idea why the game needs to "warm up" before it becomes playable, it shouldn't do that, it's a gaming laptop. :/

I need a laptop and I can't afford to buy both, laptop and desktop.
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Laptop
    Alienware.
    No issues and I have all the packs from sims 2 too sims 4. Could not install 1 because I dont have a cd rom.

Happy simming :)
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Laptop
    I like laptop for sims because I can casually build house from couch.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Laptop
    HP Laptop. They get a bad rep but I feel like a lot of it is very much outdated stereotypes. Haven't had a single issue of overheating in probably like 7 years, definitely not a regular thing by any stretch, game runs smoothly on ultra and the fan really is not loud at all. :)
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Desktop
    1. My husband and I have been building our own desktops since 2015.
    2. I'm only missing Country Kitchen Kit now.
    3. Any issues with my computer I've been able to fix or replace myself.
    4. I hate gaming on a laptop and haven't owned one in many years. I'd much rather be able to replace parts when needed than be stuck with a CPU & GPU that can't be changed. I've only considered getting a laptop in recent years to have when I travel but it certainly wouldn't be anything fancy since I would still have my desktop for everyday use.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Desktop
    I invested in a good gaming desktop PC that I have upgraded a lot over the years, it has a nice cooling system so it's quiet, even when I'm playing games.

It's also nice to have multiple monitors so I can have games like the sims running in the background and watch twitch or youtube on the other monitor.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,427 Member
    Laptop
    I have switched to a laptop years ago for real life practical reasons and use it for everything, not just the sims. The sims 4 boots up slowly but once it is loaded, it runs OK.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Laptop
    I recently upgraded to a gaming laptop. This is the first laptop where i've been able to play The Sims 4 with no interruptions i.e no overheating after an hour, no game crashes after an hour and this is the first time i'm playing every expansion pack with no lag.
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Laptop
    Asus ROG gaming laptop. I haven't had any technical problems.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    Both
    Both my desktop and laptop are Dell Alienware.

Up until about 18 months ago I played almost exclusively on my desktop.

Once my twin granddaughters were born and I started watching them at their home I purchased and started playing only on my laptop. I'd take it with me and play while they were sleeping. In the beginning I'd transfer my save back and forth with a flash drive but got tired of that and started playing only on my laptop. I have a cooling pad and haven't experienced any issues running the game at the highest specs. I won't ever go back to a desktop. It's just too confining.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Desktop
    I'm currently playing on a laptop but I prefer a desktop due to large monitor and better graphics. Laptop runs ok and it's good when travelling but I don't travel that much, so when I'll upgrade it will be a desktop.
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Both
    I have the game on both because we were visiting relatives and I downloaded it on my very non-gaming HP laptop to have something to do during the down time. And I still play the game on the laptop too when I can’t get on the computer, which is also a non-gaming HP,because someone else is using it.

But of the two, I prefer the computer because it is faster and I can keep the graphics on higher settings.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I bought a great laptop, Lenovo with the right memory and graphics card when my desktop was packed away for several months while we moved to the east coast. I absolutely could not do without playing sims. :D When my desktop was finally in place, I stored my laptop and only play on my desktop. As others have said, only a desktop can have lots of cc and all my games and still run like a champ. Currently, I play on a SkyTech gaming desktop with bells and whistles. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Both
    Both.

I mostly play on an iMac through Windows via Bootcamp. It's a much better experience on the Windows side than Mac side for gaming I've noticed.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Laptop
    I play The Sims 4 on a 2015 MacBook Pro laptop. I'm really happy with it. I love being able to game in the living room, the bedroom, the car, the kitchen, or wherever else I feel like it. I just wish the monitor were slightly larger, like 16" or 17" instead of 15". TS4 loads quickly and doesn't crash, even though I currently have 43.89 GB of mods installed. I know a lot of people don't like laptops for gaming, but it's the perfect choice for me. It feels more immersive than sitting on a hard chair at a desk. I tried out a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, but it didn't work well for my TS4 save, so I returned it.

I have The Sims 4 and all packs and all kits installed on my 2015 laptop. I also have TS1 installed on an ancient eMachines desktop computer running Windows XP, and I have TS2 on an external hard drive and have played it on my 2015 MacBook Pro with no problems at all. I tried playing TS3 on both a fancy gaming desktop setup and on my laptop, and it worked fine on both, but I didn't really enjoy the game, so I don't have it installed anywhere right now. I don't think I would enjoy playing on a gaming desktop setup no matter which Sims game I was playing, nearly as much as on my laptop. I'm weird, I know.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Laptop
    This year i have changed my system. My old laptop was a lenovo with an integrated graphics card and an intel 5, 8th generation processor. It did handle the game untill now with all dlc except Batuu, but latelly i could only play in medium graphics, offline, and it couldn't handle complex mods like mccc (it would heat a lot when using them).

I've changed to a new laptop, a lenovo legion 5 with a dedicated graphics card (nvidia geforce gtx 1650i), an amd ryzen 7 4800h processor and a ssd drive. My game now loads super quicly, i play in ultra graphics, always online, and i can use any mods i want. I'm super happy!