Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop or Desktop?

Comments

• Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,903 Member
    Both
    I used to game exclusively on laptops but about a month or so ago I decided enough is enough when my gaming laptop stopped charging (I think it needs a new battery) so I got a gaming desktop computer. Couldn't be happier even though I'm in debt paying it off, but it's worth it.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I used to game exclusively on laptops but about a month or so ago I decided enough is enough when my gaming laptop stopped charging (I think it needs a new battery) so I got a gaming desktop computer. Couldn't be happier even though I'm in debt paying it off, but it's worth it.

My last one, another less powerful Omen, I had bought an extra 3 years insurance for. My battery went and I could only use it on direct power supply. HP checked my machine remotely and sent the collector man with a protected box, I put the laptop in it and it was returned in the same box. Just a bit later than usual due to the beginning of the Pandemic scare. The insurance was worth it as it only had a couple of months to run and came back like new after 4 years use. The batteries are the first bits to fail I've found.

I hankered after a powerful new one having saved a lot by not going out for shopping and coffees! At last I can play in Ultra!
  • StarGirl237StarGirl237 Posts: 5 New Member
    Laptop
    Personally, I have only been able to use a laptop(I have been a simmer much longer than a forum member). I think it sucks how slowly the game runs on a laptop but I'll take what I can get I guess. ..
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Personally, I have only been able to use a laptop(I have been a simmer much longer than a forum member). I think it sucks how slowly the game runs on a laptop but I'll take what I can get I guess. ..

It does depend on how much you want to pay for a laptop as desktops are definitely cheaper but the latest ones like my 17" 2080Super with an SSD run Sims4 extremely well.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Desktop
    Desktop
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Desktop
    I built my own system using guides from pcpartpicker.
    - You can get better and cheaper at the same time if you go this route. OEM parts (the parts included in brand machines) are often supplied on a lowest bidder system. That means both that you get whatever was cheapest, and that what you got this month is not what that other person got last month. So if someone says "I bought an X and they're great machines" that's only actually true for the machines that came out of the assembly line during that particular run.

(this is also true of Apple stuff, even though they use their own suppliers - if you follow Apple machines you'll discover radical inconsistencies in quality because their suppliers use lowest bidder sub-contractors).

Yes it's very technical to build your own machine, but there are a LOT of guides out there to help you do it. If you have enough Handiness skill to screw in a lightbulb AND can follow IKEA directions; you can assemble a PC.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • derevaunderevaun Posts: 46 Member
    edited June 2021
    Desktop
    Mainly using a desktop with a 2012-era Xeon X3440 and a GT 1030. It's fine for TS4; I prefer medium settings to mitigate uncanny valley but the 1030 can keep up with high settings. I think it cost around $300 to build. I tried to balance the cpu <-> graphics for CAD modeling, but the sims tends to benefit from more cores.

I sometimes play on a 2015 MacBook Pro, which is a better overall experience even though I keep the graphics lower to avoid maxing out the fans.

I use Seafile to sync the saves/mods/tray folders between the two systems; it's been worth the trouble.
  • KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    Desktop
    I had laptops for years - simmer since Sims 1. They always died within two - years and I would have to upgrade again. I’m a dedicated desktop advocate now. I spent 1 1/2 times on it then what I would have for a laptop but it is 8 going on 9 years old and still runs the Sims on full settings - with all the packs & my CC - beautifully. I miss the diversity in playing location I got with a laptop but that is it.
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,968 Member
    I've been playing on the same laptop for almost eight years, which I got from a configure-your-own website. But now I'm waiting for a desktop, from the same website. It runs Sims 4 OK, but not on Ultra settings and there is lag sometimes. I actually tried running it on Ultra a while ago and it crashed!
    I didn't fill in the poll. I would have to say 'laptop' since I've not actually played it on a desktop. But I'm looking forward to playing it on a desktop!
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Laptop
    everyone saying laptops are running smooth, i challenge you to have a look at your thermal paste.

In general it lasts 5 years, possibly 10 if you aren't playing games like Sims for hours on end. And higher end processors are more likely to dry out sooner. You can buy a tube for $5 if you feel inclined to replace it. But I'm more likely to have a new laptop in another 5 years anyway.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,903 Member
    Both
    Simburian wrote: »

My last one, another less powerful Omen, I had bought an extra 3 years insurance for. My battery went and I could only use it on direct power supply. HP checked my machine remotely and sent the collector man with a protected box, I put the laptop in it and it was returned in the same box. Just a bit later than usual due to the beginning of the Pandemic scare. The insurance was worth it as it only had a couple of months to run and came back like new after 4 years use. The batteries are the first bits to fail I've found.

I hankered after a powerful new one having saved a lot by not going out for shopping and coffees! At last I can play in Ultra!

I spent an extra 250 for 2 year protection on the tower and another 200 for 4 year protection on the monitor for my desktop.

I bought that gaming laptop at a pawn shop (I know, bad gamer, pawn shop computers) so it was already out of warranty. And yeah the battery is usually the first thing to go kaput.

• hotwheelsjillhotwheelsjill Posts: 99 Member
    Laptop
    I use a Lenovo laptop. I’ve never heard of the brand until I got it. So far it works pretty good but does lag sometimes. I’m worried about getting Cottage Living. What do you all think?
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    Desktop
    Desktop (iMac).
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • susannesimssusannesims Posts: 128 Member
    edited July 2021
    Desktop
    Used to play on a very slow 2013 macbook air, which worked terrible with mods and crashed if i went out of the sims window. Its not as convenient with a desktop, but I can use a lot of mods and have nice graphics without crashing my game, having reasonable loading times and not have to pause constantly to avoid simulation lag.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    edited July 2021
    Laptop
    I used to play the game on three gaming laptops and it had pretty bad performance on all three. Loads of stuttering when rotating the camera and stuff. I have a new gaming laptop of a different brand but I don't even bother to install the game anymore. 😅 The game is not really optimized for laptops even if you have a really good gaming laptop that exceeds the required specs by a mile. I don't know why.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    Desktop
    I would never play on a laptop. I just received my gaming desktop last week (waited two months). My game runs super good.

I get around 179 FPS on ultra in CAS (just slightly less in game).
    7L6v7Xb.png
    He/Him
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    Laptop
    I use a Dell 15 7000 gaming laptop. Other than slow reloading if I have the game and browser open at the same time & switch between them I've had no real problems. And now that I upgraded my memory from 8 to 32 that's no longer a problem.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2021
    Desktop
    laptop when i was in college, now that i'm done I use it to game if I'm traveling. but I love my home computer, Bigger screen, more comfortable.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Both
    I have a gaming Laptop and a game Desktop.
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Desktop
    My partner got me a very high-end gaming computer for all of our gaming needs. It runs FFXIV and Sims 4 for the most part and those are the primary things I use it for. At least I have a computer that can manage the Sims.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Laptop
    I have a gaming laptop for the portability... I probably should use a desktop though as it sounds as though it plays better on desktop. My gaming laptop is really good but I still get lag.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Desktop
    Definitely desktop - need some grunt to drive my lovely 55" OLED 4K telly :grin:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • KiTh_97KiTh_97 Posts: 41 Member
    Laptop
    My laptop has 8GB RAM which is more than enough for running TS4
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    Laptop
    I play on an HP laptop with Windows 10.
    Let me just start off with saying how much Windows 10 stinks and I strongly dislike it. My Windows 10 laptop struggles with even a single Chrome tab meanwhile my Windows 7 has never had a problem with "multitasking". They have the same amount of RAM. (Also HP laptops aren't very good in my experience either, even with more RAM, particularly with the dvd player, but it was all I could afford.)
    On the subject of RAM, my Windows 10 has 4 gigabytes. Which I know isn't a lot, but it should be enough to run both Discord on Brave (my browser; faster than Chrome) and a small game. I've learned that it's not enough, to my despair, so I've given up on using voice chat while playing multiplayer games.
    Now, how does Sims 4 run? Not nearly as well as I should like. I looked up the system requirements before purchasing Sims 4, and it said that it only needed 4 gbs of RAM, but apparently that was the old requirement before all of the patches. I play on the lowest settings. Everything is either at the lowest or turned off (except for sims, which is set to medium, because I was tired of my sims looking all blurry).
    I have the holiday pack and some CC. Before I got the holiday pack, everything ran smooth mostly, but the game would lock up every couple minutes. After I got the holiday pack, Sims 4 was super laggy. That's when I turned down 3d resolution from "medium" (the default in the "low" setting preset) to "low". My game runs better now, it doesn't really lock up much anymore, but it's still laggy at times.
    I really hope to get a new laptop with more RAM, or perhaps get an additional stick installed to my current laptop, but it's harder with laptops than PCs apparently so idk.
    That is all. Thank you for coming to my rant.
  • rosenero10rosenero10 Posts: 536 Member
    Desktop, for me.

But it's interesting how much "marketing" can pull the wool over the eyes of the unwary buyer.

For example: We learn to consider Windows computers and base our judgement of power by the numbers.

We think in terms of four main hardware: CPU; RAM; Storage Drives and Video Card.

But did you know not all are the same between Laptop vs Desktop?
    Not all 16GB RAM are the same. Nor CPU for laptop versus desktop.

The general rule is that in marketing terms, a laptop spec is made to sound equivelent to a desktop. You could match everything by the numbers and be forgiven for thinking you got the same as a desktop.

But it's not. There are more things about RAM (just for one example) than just its capacity (such as 16GB capacity).

It's like have two different bottles of water. Both hold 16-liters. But one has an opening three times larger than the other meaning water can flow in and out of that bottle much faster.

And you can run that analagy over everything.

So be wise in what you buy. Laptop or Desktop. They're not all as equal as the marketing blurb say they are. They are revealling to you the headlines of what each component is. It is what they're not telling you that truly shows what is different.