Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 Years and Still No Disabled Sims?

Comments

• Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited January 2021
    @Nikkih

As much sensitive as a pirate with a wood leg.

Disabilities are classed as a sensitive subject, let's be honest here everything is offensive those days, the developers would need too make sure they do 100% right
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2021
    I think it'd be too awkward to add, there's too many ways it could go badly (ie some things could be deemed insensitive, people are affected differently by disabilities so representation could never be accurate, glitches would cause massive problems, etc etc)

Plus if you think from an animation point you'd have to recreate every single animation to make it work with disabilities and there would be a ton of bugs, like sims autonomously getting out of their wheelchairs to go jogging. It would be a mess.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Id be in support of it if they added. Better than pretending that people with disabilities don't exist
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    I think the reason they don't have have disabled Sims (or wheelchairs) is because people like me would exploit that for comedic value
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think the reason they don't have have disabled Sims (or wheelchairs) is because people like me would exploit that for comedic value
    Same could be said for any representation. I don't think that is a valid enough reason to not put it in the game. Many of our superheroes even Iron Man have a disability. Even Captain America had asthma, scarlet fever, rheumatic fever, sinusitis, heart palpitations, nervous trouble, bone/joint/other deformity, color blindness, scoliosis, high blood pressure, diabetes, anemia, partial deafness, astigmatism and easy fatiguability.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Nikkih wrote: »
    @Nikkih

Disabilities are classed as a sensitive subject, let's be honest here everything is offensive those days, the developers would need too make sure they do 100% right
    I agree everything is sensitive these days, but doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I mean Barbie is a kid doll and they still represent people more than the Sims has. I thought Sims 4 was supposed to be modern not archaic? Barbie started representing them back in 1997 long before the Sims came onto the shelves: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahkim/2019/02/19/barbie-dolls-with-disabiilities/?sh=6f5466f21319

According to Forbes, it is the largest minority group in America, yet least represented minority on television. But oh well, bet Paralives will represent disabilities before Sims does at this rate and honestly I'm ok with them having a better advantage with their game anyways. It will just end up hurting the franchise staying in the dark age for business. Not like they won't do that anyways with their subscription service next iteration. C'est la vie.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    VikVik Posts: 125 Member
    I second the people who say they don't want it. I can see mental disabilities, which is have mods for. But physical would be difficult to implement.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I personally dont understand why some people want the game to be soo realistic, I say this with respect but some people with disabilities probably play the sims to get out of real life for a while

Edit: can I also say, no one wants a disability, I dont want one, I dont want my sims to have one, I wish disabilities just didn't exist at all, I admire people that have a disability and they get on with the hand their dealt with and make the most of it, but even they would tell you that they hate it and wish they didn't have one
  • Options
    candybootcandyboot Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2021
    I personally dont understand why some people want the game to be soo realistic, I say this with respect but some people with disabilities probably play the sims to get out of real life for a while

Edit: can I also say, no one wants a disability, I dont want one, I dont want my sims to have one, I wish disabilities just didn't exist at all, I admire people that have a disability and they get on with the hand their dealt with and make the most of it, but even they would tell you that they hate it and wish they didn't have one

No one wants to be burgled(is that right, lol? I dont know, english isnt my first language) in real life, but plenty of simmers wants burglars in the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    candyboot wrote: »

No one wants to be burgled(is that right, lol? I dont know, english isnt my first language) in real life, but plenty of simmers wants burglars in the game.

Theres a difference although nobody wants to be burgled in real life, it's done in a commercial way in the game the burglar steals your sims toilet, not possible in real life, if disabilities got done in a commercial way some would get offended and all due with respect you cant compare having items stolen to someone not able to walk etc @candyboot
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • Options
    candybootcandyboot Posts: 129 Member

Theres a difference although nobody wants to be burgled in real life, it's done in a commercial way in the game the burglar steals your sims toilet, not possible in real life, if disabilities got done in a commercial way some would get offended and all due with respect you cant compare having items stolen to someone not able to walk etc @candyboot

Yes, I can compare, the two things. Having an intruder in your home is a real traumatic invent in real life, you don't know if you are going to be murdered, or ''only'' getting things stolen. I myself have a disability(Asperger syndrome), so I know what it's like having a disability.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Yes, I can compare, the two things. Having an intruder in your home is a real traumatic invent in real life, you don't know if you are going to be murdered, or ''only'' getting things stolen. I myself have a disability(Asperger syndrome), so I know what it's like having a disability.

Burglars in the sims dont kill as I said it's done in a commercial way, yes only items stolen, they are replaceable, someone lost ability to walk isnt, would you rather have objects stolen or not being able to walk ?, if you pick you would rather not being able to walk to having items stolen, you would need to sort your priorities @candyboot
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    @Nikkih

I agree everything is sensitive these days, but doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I mean Barbie is a kid doll and they still represent people more than the Sims has. I thought Sims 4 was supposed to be modern not archaic? Barbie started representing them back in 1997 long before the Sims came onto the shelves: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahkim/2019/02/19/barbie-dolls-with-disabiilities/?sh=6f5466f21319

According to Forbes, it is the largest minority group in America, yet least represented minority on television. But oh well, bet Paralives will represent disabilities before Sims does at this rate and honestly I'm ok with them having a better advantage with their game anyways. It will just end up hurting the franchise staying in the dark age for business. Not like they won't do that anyways with their subscription service next iteration. C'est la vie.

If, as rumored, Paralives won't support mods or CC I really don't think it'll be a major competitor to The Sims franchise. I'm willing to wait and see though.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Maybe they could represent disabilities indirectly, like they did with the TS3 walking stick or the exo skeleton suit in TS4, instead of adding disabled sims which would be difficult to animate (just think of all the occult sims and the issues they have). They could add instead a wheel chair to be used by anyone as preferred means of transportation, we could train dogs as guide or therapy dogs that do laundry and help collect stuff, sims could study sign language and get jobs with a bonus payment based on that, some sims could occasionally paint from reference using strange colour choices, all stereos could be upgraded so sims could feel the bass vibrations, etc.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2021
    @Nikkih wrote: »

Yes and no.

If the person was not born with it, probably yes.
    But somebody who was born with it, their current life is the real life.

Wearing glasses is one of them, people who wear them like the fact their sims can wear glasses. It is a part of our identity, it's not a shame.

People see disabilities as something very negative but it doesn't stop people to be happy in their life with it.
  • Options

Yes and no.

If the person was not born with it, probably yes.
    But somebody who was born with it, their current life is the real life.

Wearing glasses is one of them, people who wear them like the fact their sims can wear glasses. It is a part of our identity, it's not a shame.

People see disabilities as something very negative but it stops people to be happy in their life with it.

I didn't say there was anything shameful about it, all I said was that nobody wants to have a disability and it's true, I never asked to have to wear glasses but I do, preferably I wish I didn't need them, some people do let it ruin their lives and some dont and as for sims alot of people use it for escapism
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2021
    nobody wants to have a disability and it's true

It's also difficult to accept yourself when everybody ignore or reject you.
    A black person in a white society, a LGBT in a straight society... Be invisible is sometimes worse.

Nobody can understand a life which doesn't exist.

The visibility also help us to understand each other.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

It's difficult to accept yourself when everybody ignore or reject you.
    A black person in a white society, a LGBT in a straight society... Be invisible is sometimes worse.

I've accepted and made peace with myself along time ago, you'll never win the war against yourself you know all your weaknesses, I started by not caring what people think about me, got a thicker skin, best thing I've ever done, i made a daft decision when I was teenager, refusing to wear my glasses to avoid getting picked on, hence the reason my eye sight got worse, at 25 year old I really dont care, preferably I wish I didn't need them but they are okay 😊

Edit: you forgot to add a white person in a black society, my mum friends husband got killed because he was white, when they visited Uganda, theres racism everywhere, it isnt just some white people that are racist
  • Options
    edited January 2021

For me yeah being invisible is worst. As someone who has had chronic disability for most of my life, yes I want disabilities represented. I think a patch wouldn't be the way to do it. I rather have it represented with superheroes since many of the characters in comics and superhero movies made us feel like we were invisible and worth representing in media and entertainment. I've noticed the hatred towards disabilities is usually shown by people who are racists and and against pretty much any minority population. That just makes me want it more. I know even with the makeup I got told, Gurus don't care about you, you are a minority and they won't listen to you. So the more people fight against something the more something is bound to happen. How toddlers happened too is that some were against it, so why I'm not too worried. Getting the discussion going is what matters. Also I rather not have people that don't have any disability not want it in the game because well they don't understand what it is really like to live with it.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member

For me yeah being invisible is worst. As someone who has had chronic disability for most of my life, yes I want disabilities represented. I think a patch wouldn't be the way to do it. I rather have it represented with superheroes since many of the characters in comics and superhero movies made us feel like we were invisible and worth representing in media and entertainment. I've noticed the hatred towards disabilities is usually shown by people who are racists and and against pretty much any minority population. That just makes me want it more. I know even with the makeup I got told, Gurus don't care about you, you are a minority and they won't listen to you. So the more people fight against something the more something is bound to happen. How toddlers happened too is that some were against it, so why I'm not too worried. Getting the discussion going is what matters. Also I rather not have people that don't have any disability not want it in the game because well they don't understand what it is really like to live with it.
    Having disabled sims in the game might be easier said than done. Mainly because it may require them to rework the game at it's core. Much in the same way as in the conversation about being able to create ghosts in CAS.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

Did you even read the original post? The thread maker can't walk and wants disabilities represented in the game. Perhaps let people talk for themselves?
    There's always going to be some people actually affected by disabilities with opinions on both sides of the fence. Toggles toggles toggles .. I don't see why people who would find it cathartic or more inclusive of themselves should be denied when options to turn things off are possible.

As someone with a mental issue, I'm perfectly happy for sims to have my issues. Even better if it's done as a tongue in cheek parody. Some times just laughing helps.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    CelSims wrote: »

Did you even read the original post? The thread maker can't walk and wants disabilities represented in the game. Perhaps let people talk for themselves?
    There's always going to be some people actually affected by disabilities with opinions on both sides of the fence. Toggles toggles toggles .. I don't see why people who would find it cathartic or more inclusive of themselves should be denied when options to turn things off are possible.

As someone with a mental issue, I'm perfectly happy for sims to have my issues. Even better if it's done as a tongue in cheek parody. Some times just laughing helps.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions including me, considering I wish disabilities didn't existed in real life at all, I dont want it in my sim world, if you read my other post I said I admire people that get on with the hand their dealt with and get on with life and its is true nobody wants a disability, mentally or physically, nobody says they want mental health disorders etc, I'm not getting made too feel bad for wishing it didn't exist
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    @Nikkih

Ick. Paralives is including disabilities?
  • Options
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Having disabled sims in the game might be easier said than done. Mainly because it may require them to rework the game at it's core. Much in the same way as in the conversation about being able to create ghosts in CAS.
    Still possible to do. Nothing is ever easy to do. But I think still worth doing. I mean when I asked for unisex clothing I know things had to work from the core. But yes I think it is possible to include visible things like a rocket wheelchair or a flame thrower cane in a pack. That way those that don't want those things in the core game, don't have to use the superhero pack.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Nikkih

Ick. Paralives is including disabilities?
    I don't know actually. But I think it is possible for them to do before Maxis can just because they are working from the ground up with their game while Sims is a much older game on a much older engine. It was a hypothetical thought. Nothing ick about it. I mean they have color wheel developed for their game already. They have physics with their hair moving too. It is details like that I appreciate in a game with a creation system.

Fuser is a game that does have more customization and representation with their creation system too.
    Fuser_skin.jpg

This character is a non-binary with a prosthetic arm.
    EmeDI3CU8AAAZQE.jpg

Games are changing and well Sims is behind Disney with representation and Disney tends to be the last to do things.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top