Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 Years and Still No Disabled Sims?

Comments

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It'll never happen. There are far too many disabilities in the world to represent them all and theres no way they can represent them properly without making someone really mad. At best we might get some traits that hint toward mental illness like the paranoid trait. If we're really lucky sims might be able to break their leg or something. But otherwise no.
    And also it would be way too difficult just on a mechanics level. They werent even willing to animate a toddler ball-pit nevermind various disabilities lol

When you put it like that, makes me think you're right. They won't even animate our children to use things that the teens and up can use. Bikes coming for university for example. Would it have been so difficult to make one for a child? Extra animations, different exoskeleton so apparently yet it is. If our sim kids can't be included with even the most basic of normalish things, then I would have zero hope for a wheel chair or walker for them. Sims can't have disabilities added and it be a teen and older thing.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Thank you for the hug, I really need it. Not being able to mod or find mods that fit my play style (and that stay updated) is very frustrating. I wish someone could work on modding with me. At lease for Blender if it came to having new objects. The biggest problem in my life that makes me beyond livid is that I have the intelligence (which I'm very lucky to have) to have ideas of all sorts but my body (and a lot of my learning disability and not to be forgotten, my financial status) cannot execute those ideas. I'd make everything I talked about in that post a mod (or several) which you wouldn't have to download to your game if you didn't want certain things in your game. I want wheelchairs like mine, I want things that I use every day because it's my reality and my game and I want to decide what's in it, but can't for lots of reasons. I went too far to suggest it should be an official pack, that being said, if you don't like something in a pack, don't buy it. The only reason I want Sytangerville is to have more lots to build on. I'd never actually play the storyline.

Have you ever tried talking to some of the modders on sites like Mod the Sims? Maybe there would someone over there who'd be willing to help you with your modding ideas? It sounds like your ideas are well thought out for what you'd like to see for your play style, so there could be someone over there who could help you with the things you can't do? Just a thought. :)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    kora2day wrote: »
    Also I don't want my sims to have to deal with health insurance, I already have to deal with that enough in real life.

Speak for yourself. When I think of fun, I think of health insurance.

Well, you are the odd one out in terms of humor. Or among the odd ones out, at least ;) And this is kindly meant, mind you. Don't go and be offended, please <3

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited November 2019
    Problem is EA already crossed the line with Strangerville. How the infected sims move, look, and interact comes across as a parody of people dealing with very difficult health issues. Not a smart move EA! There are better ways of handling sims being under the mother's influence, assuming it's a necessary feature in the first place.

They did? I don't recall seeing anyone complain about this. I thought the whole point of the possessed Sims was that they're being controlled by plant creatures who have no idea how humans are supposed to move or act. I'm also assuming from the weird text that the mother plant is speaking through them, which is what freaks out normal Sims who try to talk to them. (I'm not closed to the argument, but I'm genuinely curious what sort of animation would be preferable that doesn't pose similar issues?)

The Sims team has gone out of their way to represent lots of groups of people. The game has always been about having options. Make your Sim look how you want. Make them romantic (or not) with who you want. Make them celebrate (or not) whichever holiday you want. Give players some simple options, and we'll choose if we want them to exist in our game or not.

You could integrate things like Simlish equivalents of Braille and ASL into the game without (I would hope) causing offense to anyone.

I don't like the argument that because they can't possibly represent every disability, they shouldn't represent any. I think something small done thoughtfully is almost always better than nothing at all.
    Post edited by katrinasforest on
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    I think that if every single thing in life was to be represented in the Sims games, they wouldn't be able to run - there is also the rating to be mindful of.

I really wish that people would understand that the Sims 4 can only do so much for them. It can't meet all our needs. It's just one game. Why add a serious thing like disabilities to a cartoonish game world where nothing is considered serious? What is fun about missing limbs and mental shortcomings? The Sims 4 can't represent everyone and everything. It just isn't the spirit in Sims 4.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I think that if every single thing in life was to be represented in the Sims games, they wouldn't be able to run - there is also the rating to be mindful of.

I really wish that people would understand that the Sims 4 can only do so much for them. It can't meet all our needs. It's just one game. Why add a serious thing like disabilities to a cartoonish game world where nothing is considered serious? What is fun about missing limbs and mental shortcomings? The Sims 4 can't represent everyone and everything. It just isn't the spirit in Sims 4.

I'm not sure what the rating has to do with anything.

I also don't understand how "representing everyone" isn't in the spirit of Sims 4. Why did they make custom genders? Why did they add Muslim inspired clothing and build items? Why did they add all the flags in the "it gets better" update and quickly correct when they missed one? Because representing all kinds of people is exactly what the game is about. And not everyone with a disability thinks of it as a shortcoming. For some people, it's a part of their identity.

I don't mean in any way to discount people who do have a disability and don't want to see it in the game. But at the same time, I don't think the people who do want to see it in the game should be discounted, either. That's why I think it should be an option.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited November 2019
    and I'm going to say this for the last time GRANT SAID LAST YEAR MENTAL HEALTH ILLNESS WOULD NOT BE TRAITS[/b]IIIIIIIIIIIII
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    I have a physical disability and I don't want disability in The Sims. It might sound selfish but I play TS4 to relax and not have to think about the fact that I am disabled for a few hours. I want more negative stuff to happen to sims but just not disability.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I have a physical disability and I don't want disability in The Sims. It might sound selfish but I play TS4 to relax and not have to think about the fact that I am disabled for a few hours. I want more negative stuff to happen to sims but just not disability.

But there are disabled people out there who want to be able to make themselves and what they consider to be themselves and they consider their disabilities to be part of them (or alternatively people they know who are not a shame of their disability). So should we leave them out of the Sims when we can have Sims who are LGBT+, can be aliens, vampires, spell casters and now we sort of can have Muslims Sims? We don't want any accidents in the Sims we just want the OPTION in CREATE A SIM to be able to create themselves with their disability. I mean why shouldn't an older or younger sibling not be allowed to make their other sibling who might be a wheelchair? Because it would feel other to the other sibling to have a normal body

I do understand that some people with disablities don't want it in the game but there's just as many disabled people who actually DO want it (look at Grant's tweets from last year from May? to Sept)

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    edited November 2019
    I accidentally submitted before I finished my comment and then I had to do something else. I meant to add that if disability is added, I won't be a brat about it. I'll just not make disabled sims and try to ignore disabled sims that are generated if I can't remove them.
    Post edited by IrishSimmer21 on
  • Options
    @IrishSimmer21 That's not selfish at all. Everybody should play in whatever way makes them happiest and most comfortable. There's plenty of things in the Sims I can do and but don't either because I'm not comfortable or it's just not my play style. The only thing I disagree with is the argument that, "I don't want this in my game, ergo, it shouldn't be available in anybody's game."

I do think disabilities should be added, but I also think the dev team needs to be respectful of people who don't want it in their game and make it something that can be easily removed or avoided if desired.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I think modders have traits covered, but adding in prosthetic limbs wouldn't be a stretch.

All it would be is a mesh change that can layer over clothing that's thin, and under clothing that's thick. None of the animations would need to be redone. I think it's totally possible to do at LEAST that.

A wheelchair would need new animations with head turns for people looking up or down, and some things like a kiss would need leaning over, which can be more challenging.

But prosthetics are a simple mesh addition, and with the exosuit robotics coming in university it's NOT a stretch.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2019
    So_Money wrote: »
    kora2day wrote: »
    Also I don't want my sims to have to deal with health insurance, I already have to deal with that enough in real life.

Speak for yourself. When I think of fun, I think of health insurance.

Well, you are the odd one out in terms of humor. Or among the odd ones out, at least ;) And this is kindly meant, mind you. Don't go and be offended, please <3

No offense taken. It takes a lot more than that to offend me. :)
  • Options
    thecatsred wrote: »
    I think modders have traits covered, but adding in prosthetic limbs wouldn't be a stretch.

All it would be is a mesh change that can layer over clothing that's thin, and under clothing that's thick. None of the animations would need to be redone. I think it's totally possible to do at LEAST that.

A wheelchair would need new animations with head turns for people looking up or down, and some things like a kiss would need leaning over, which can be more challenging.

But prosthetics are a simple mesh addition, and with the exosuit robotics coming in university it's NOT a stretch.

@thecatsred might I point out we already have the animation for bending over for when adults hug children? qANuCpg.png

What we would actually needed would be like ramps/lifts, counters/stoves which a wheelchair can pull under, a shower which either the sim can transfer from the chair or can have a shower in the chair
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    and I'm going to say this for the last time GRANT SAID LAST YEAR MENTAL HEALTH ILLNESS WOULD NOT BE TRAITS[/b]IIIIIIIIIIIII

MadameLee, that's not what I care about. I don't care if it's a trait or not. I don't think there is any way they could do my mental illness justice because of how broad it is. Nor do I want to play a game that constantly reminds me that there is something wrong with me.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

MadameLee, that's not what I care about. I don't care if it's a trait or not. I don't think there is any way they could do my mental illness justice because of how broad it is. Nor do I want to play a game that constantly reminds me that there is something wrong with me.
    There is nothing wrong with you. *hugs* But yes I agree about the trait route not being a good route to go with it. Why I suggested aspiration failures instead.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I do love this build that a Simmer made that is ADA:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGGjMm4YW3M

Sims 2 did have a functional wheelchair mod with the car system:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTbzSZo925I
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    Do you know where to get the stuff that was used in that house build? I'm in love!
  • Options
    DoktorBonkDoktorBonk Posts: 30 Member
    I would LOVE to have Sims with disabilities in the game! I made a Sim of the Barbie character Becky, and she's on the gallery, but Becky's a wheelchair user, so I can't make that happen in the Sims currently, which is a bummer. It'd be really cool if they could do like an expansion pack with disabilities so those who are adverse to that don't have to have it in their game (although I think it's silly to not want something like that, just imo) but disabled people could have it in their game! They could do all sorts of things-- wheelchairs, crutches, cochlear implants, service dogs if Pets is installed, they could have a diabetic trait where you have a need bar for insulin/blood sugar, they could have traits for different disabilities like "inattentive" for ADHD for example where Sims have trouble completing tasks without distraction, or "achy" for things like arthritis or fibromyalgia where on certain days they have a negative moodlet that says they're achy and it can be improved with a massage or rest, things like that!! They could do a LOT with this, and I'd be super excited to see them put out an expansion pack like that!! I know it'd be hard to do since they'd need a bunch of new models and animations for it, but it's a really cool concept. They could also consult with different disability advocacy groups to make sure they're doing the right thing!!
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I honestly don't see why a game like The Sims need disabilities. Let's just keep this as a fun and silly game, please.
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Problem is EA already crossed the line with Strangerville. How the infected sims move, look, and interact comes across as a parody of people dealing with very difficult health issues. Not a smart move EA! There are better ways of handling sims being under the mother's influence, assuming it's a necessary feature in the first place.

Now that is kinda silly if you ask me. They walk funny and not in a way someone with a disability would.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    DoktorBonk wrote: »
    They could also consult with different disability advocacy groups to make sure they're doing the right thing!!

This won't necessarily work. Have you ever heard of Autism Speaks? They claim to support autism, but really, they want to "cure" it. None of their staff are even autistic!
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    DoktorBonk wrote: »
    I would LOVE to have Sims with disabilities in the game! I made a Sim of the Barbie character Becky, and she's on the gallery, but Becky's a wheelchair user, so I can't make that happen in the Sims currently, which is a bummer. It'd be really cool if they could do like an expansion pack with disabilities so those who are adverse to that don't have to have it in their game (although I think it's silly to not want something like that, just imo) but disabled people could have it in their game! They could do all sorts of things-- wheelchairs, crutches, cochlear implants, service dogs if Pets is installed, they could have a diabetic trait where you have a need bar for insulin/blood sugar, they could have traits for different disabilities like "inattentive" for ADHD for example where Sims have trouble completing tasks without distraction, or "achy" for things like arthritis or fibromyalgia where on certain days they have a negative moodlet that says they're achy and it can be improved with a massage or rest, things like that!! They could do a LOT with this, and I'd be super excited to see them put out an expansion pack like that!! I know it'd be hard to do since they'd need a bunch of new models and animations for it, but it's a really cool concept. They could also consult with different disability advocacy groups to make sure they're doing the right thing!!

As some of us with actual disabilities have already explained, we play the game to get a break from our disabilities. What is so "silly" about that? I'm silly because I'd like a break from my personal daily hell?

I realize some people want it, some people even have disabilities and want it. Let them have it if I can turn it off and opt out. Otherwise I'll find a different game, but that certainly doesn't make me silly.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    To all of you who would like disabled Sims:

What would you do with a disabled Sim?
    How would you play it?
    How would it make you feel?
    What do you hope to gain from the experience?

I'm curious and wish to understand the reasoning behind wanting to add disabilities to the game.

• Options
    Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member

Ok so, assuming the Sims introduced vision impairment this is a rough idea for it working regardless of if it's a trait or a CAS setting.

- Based on severity, the screen would be blurry if your sim doesn't wear glasses, maybe a "Crystal Clear" fine moodlet with hidden effects while wearing glasses and a tense or uncomfortable moodlet when not. Text could also be fuzzy. Glasses could also have gameplay affects. Contact lenses would be thing that shares gameplay with glasses but could been on 24/7 (because game logic) whereas sleeping with glasses on results in an uncomfortable moodlet.

- Clumsy sims could lose their glasses for a short while or walk into objects while routing to them (I have done this on multiple occasions because I don't bother putting my glasses on just to walk to the loo in the middle of the night).

- Lighting could have a gameplay affect! I can't see in low lighting or in the dark as well as regular people, this could be reflected by well lit areas allowing Sims to route normally but they would walk slower in low lighting or refuse to move through areas with no lighting (torches/flashlights anyone?)

- Eye strain is another thing to take into account, certain traits could determine what casues a headache debuff related to Eye strain and what activities cure it. For example, Loud noises at frequent intervals and bright light gives me headaches but reading gets rid of it, my boyfriend on the other hand gets headaches from reading and plays video games to get rid of it.

The problem with trying to implement disabilities is that there's a wide range that can't be covered and it can be very nuanced. This is just one example with my own vision impairment as a basis (blind in left eye, need glasses to see out of my right but even then I'm glare sensitive and night blind) and that's omitting finer details like the fact that I have very poor balance because I'm half blind. This doesn't take into account the various, physical or mental disabilities out there.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top