Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    just started a legacy feeling right motivated

not an hour in and she's died in a fire

Ouch!

That's happened to me. I managed to work it into my plot. But you can always start over. It's rough, but doable.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hey guys! I hope you're having a wonderful Thursday!

What would everybody say is the one thing they have learned/wished they knew when starting out writing SimLit?

Great question! I'd say... Write what you want to write. Actually I've kind of been that way since the beginning but it's the best advice I can give. Be real to your style, your pace, and your groove of writing. Enjoy the journey!

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

Ouch!

That's happened to me. I managed to work it into my plot. But you can always start over. It's rough, but doable.

i managed that too. but sis got sad. it was elsa did i mention she loves elsa bergerenson? whats funnnier is in one attempt i couldn't find the house where elsa lives. but i didn't "look it it up." because i knew cathtea knew where it was. look it up is in qutes cause before she got busy qith other things i would ask something and that was the response..
  • Options
    Forums swallowed my original post. Thank you everyone for your replies and satisfying my insatiable curiosity.

I have a tendency to give townies/ premades makeovers when I come across them. Like @ThePlumbob, I try not to change genetic structure, but sometimes if they're really awful (*cough cough* L. Faba). I usually change skins or add a skin detail, and give people custom hairs. And I have a big pet peeve with lack of eyelashes. I usually change awful outfits or if the fashion choice doesn't make sense.

@InfraGreen you're right. Ts3 makes makeovers more time consuming. It's frustratingly long. I start with Everyday and any other outfits as they come up in story.

@TheYayToast that's a dedicated list. Did you berrify townies or just create your own for your berry world?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @ArcherDK @mercuryfoam @CathyTea and any others who care...

Officially and permanently retired from the Sims Community and quitting writing. All of my projects are now discontinued. I will leave my old content up, but I feel like there is no place for me or my work in this community. Harassment, health, and creative burnout have taken too much of a toll and I no longer enjoy writing.

Thanks for reading and for the support.

@NyteRose I'm so sorry to hear this. That's awful. I hope you find peace and wish you well with whatever you do. Your writing is amazing! You'll be missed.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Forums swallowed my original post. Thank you everyone for your replies and satisfying my insatiable curiosity.

I have a tendency to give townies/ premades makeovers when I come across them. Like @ThePlumbob, I try not to change genetic structure, but sometimes if they're really awful (*cough cough* L. Faba). I usually change skins or add a skin detail, and give people custom hairs. And I have a big pet peeve with lack of eyelashes. I usually change awful outfits or if the fashion choice doesn't make sense.

@InfraGreen you're right. Ts3 makes makeovers more time consuming. It's frustratingly long. I start with Everyday and any other outfits as they come up in story.

@TheYayToast that's a dedicated list. Did you berrify townies or just create your own for your berry world?

we might have been typing at the same time. sometimes that happensbut its either this or news. i just watch the numbers. but with 3 strains and numbers going the wrong way i think you all are stuck with me for a while.
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,233 Member
    @Kellog_J_Kellogg Love it! Summer Holiday's new look is beautiful. :) I always have trouble with her makeover.

Okay... this triggered an informal poll question of mine. How many of you do makeovers on the townies/NPC's and how many of you just leave them alone? I'll reserve my preferences till after I get some responses, but if you've read my stuff, you probably already know.

I don't systematically go through townies to give them makeovers, but if I see one with horrendous fashion or a broken mod, I will grab them and fix the problem. If I interact with a townie a lot, or if I like them, I will give them a full makeover :)

I'm preparing to write a new story, and for that one, I would like to give all townies/npcs a full makeover. It might be too much for me, so maybe I'll get like, halfway through, and delete the rest... we'll see xD

Same. Even then, I might ignore the horrible townies unless my sims end up interacting with them or they're going to be in the screenshots I'm taking. I'd rather play than spend hours in CAS, since I barely get time to play as it is.
    image.png
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,233 Member
    A big chapter for Life is Random this time. In which a question is finally asked and answered.

3.47 A Weekend With Mo
    image.png
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »
    Officially and permanently retired from the Sims Community and quitting writing. All of my projects are now discontinued. I will leave my old content up, but I feel like there is no place for me or my work in this community. Harassment, health, and creative burnout have taken too much of a toll and I no longer enjoy writing.

Thanks for reading and for the support.

@NyteRose Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll eventually find the joy in writing again, sim-related or not. Inspiration and motivation to write definitely comes in ebbs and flows, so I get the burnout, but it would be a shame if those who think it's a good use of their time to comment on something only to say how much they hate it get their way. Don't let them suck out all of your enjoyment.
  • Options
    capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member

Ouch!

shewastheonlysiminthehousehold
    c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member

Hey guys! I hope you're having a wonderful Thursday!

What would everybody say is the one thing they have learned/wished they knew when starting out writing SimLit?

@lizzielilyyyy honestly, that there are absolutely NO RULES regarding simlit. I can do whatever I like and no sim lit police is going to break down my door shouting "YOU USED TOO MANY SCREENSHOTS IN THIS CHAPTER!!!" or "YOUR CHAPTER WASN'T LONG ENOUGH!!!". It really doesn't matter, just do whatever you feel is right.
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    I can do whatever I like and no sim lit police is going to break down my door shouting "YOU USED TOO MANY SCREENSHOTS IN THIS CHAPTER!!!"

Haha I think I'd get in trouble with the simlit police if that was the case :joy:

@lizzielilyyyy Not that it ever stopped me, but I guess one thing that might be useful to keep in mind for those starting out is that you don't have to have everything figured out when you first start writing. Just because your first chapter is a certain style or tone of voice doesn't mean you've got yourself stuck in a box and can only keep going that way. Experimenting with different formats is part of the fun, and I like watching other writers switch it up and evolve when I read too.
  • Options
    capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    does anybody know where i can find good walking down stairs/climbing a ladder downwards poses? i can't seem to find any.
    c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Happy Friday! A less daemonic Outrun chapter than the last, but if you're a sucker for road trips and Bayless spawn then you're in luck.

06.jpg

Chapter 0.6. Sheila and Heathcliff go on forward with their west coast vacation anyways, but not without some discomfort, bar shenanigans being the least of them!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

@ lizzielilyyyy Not that it ever stopped me, but I guess one thing that might be useful to keep in mind for those starting out is that you don't have to have everything figured out when you first start writing. Just because your first chapter is a certain style or tone of voice doesn't mean you've got yourself stuck in a box and can only keep going that way. Experimenting with different formats is part of the fun, and I like watching other writers switch it up and evolve when I read too.

@ThePlumbob: it's why I don't always go along with authors who put themselves down over their first legacy chapters not being as good as the recent. Can't stop anyone's feelings but the journey of improvement is part of the format and it doesn't bother me to read them.

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    does anybody know where i can find good walking down stairs/climbing a ladder downwards poses? i can't seem to find any.

@capturethemagic: they're out there (ladders too?) but it's always been super-hard to do stair poses (not-so-simply put: nearly impossible to use as a prop in Blender and you can't move sims with the moveobjects cheat in TS4 like you can with earlier games so you have to get the placement EXACT in Blender with an object you don't have in there. Half the poses use decorative stair objects instead of regular stairs)

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member

Hi there.

I assume you already have Poseplayer downloaded.
    1. Click your sim
    2. Choose Pose by Name
    3. Copy and paste one of these:
    a_loco_oceanLadder_climbDown_start_x
    a_loco_oceanLadder_climbUp_start_x
    a_loco_stairs_startUp_walk_x
    a_loco_stairs_startDown_walk_x

(change first alphabet to c if it's for a child)

Or for more in-game poses, download the list of in-game animations here.

You might also want the T.O.O.L mod for convenient placement.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    ThePlumbob wrote: »

@ lizzielilyyyy Not that it ever stopped me, but I guess one thing that might be useful to keep in mind for those starting out is that you don't have to have everything figured out when you first start writing. Just because your first chapter is a certain style or tone of voice doesn't mean you've got yourself stuck in a box and can only keep going that way. Experimenting with different formats is part of the fun, and I like watching other writers switch it up and evolve when I read too.

@ThePlumbob: it's why I don't always go along with authors who put themselves down over their first legacy chapters not being as good as the recent. Can't stop anyone's feelings but the journey of improvement is part of the format and it doesn't bother me to read them.

Same for me. Watching the development of writers is my favorite thing, and as much of a story as the story.

Also, I'd say, don't worry about the drama, if you can help it. There are plenty of people who might be exclusive and that's for them to enjoy. (Being elite can feel fun for some!) And there are plenty of others who are inclusive and welcoming and who will always be here or come back if they've left, and who will welcome you when you come back! For me, that's a community I want to be part of!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    And there are plenty of others who are inclusive and welcoming and who will always be here or come back if they've left, and who will welcome you when you come back! For me, that's a community I want to be part of!

me too. i explained we don't remove people who take a break.
  • Options
    And there are plenty of others who are inclusive and welcoming and who will always be here or come back if they've left, and who will welcome you when you come back! For me, that's a community I want to be part of!

and sometimes your sims will start drama on their own.the first time my sims wanted a divorce i skipped that part. they did get one but i wrote the after effects instead of the actual divorce. then cathtea and jes 2g wanted those chapters one of which led to a did not did too argument between me and cathtea. she doesn't like when i mention that but for me it meant i got the emotions right. and were still best online friends and sisters.online sisters.
  • Options

and sometimes your sims will start drama on their own.

:D So true. My whole Simself story was like this... I really don't need to create drama. The Sims do it themselves.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options

:D So true. My whole Simself story was like this... I really don't need to create drama. The Sims do it themselves.

i think you know this but most of the time i give in to the benders. the one time i said no to ayden he threw up.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

i think you know this but most of the time i give in to the benders. the one time i said no to ayden he threw up.

I thought more than that happened with the Benders in general.
    I told Lizzie not to walk into the street. She did and died in transit from sadness.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    YbkyZGq.png
    Hey everyone! How was your holiday season? I'm a little bit later than expected, but as promised, it's January and I'm returning with the first brand-new chaper of this month! Hopefully I'll be releasing at least one more before January ends, but until then, read the newest Nightshade chapter here!
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • Options

I thought more than that happened with the Benders in general.
    I told Lizzie not to walk into the street. She did and died in transit from sadness.

bad lizzie. my neck may hurt from laughing so your fault. lol. :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top