Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A paranormal pack...SMH

Why do we need a paranormal pack, EA? Is it really that important that we have a ghostbusting career? Of all the ideas and feedback and polls (ok, I'll be fair, it was a poll option) Out of every single idea and feedback we have given you over the years, you choose more ghost stuff? What do you guys think? That's what's in the picture, which just takes you to the Sims YouTube page which as far as I can see has no video, so I'm just really perplexed about their thought process. Can anyone help me understand this, please?

Comments

• Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited January 2021
    Why do we need a paranormal pack, EA? Is it really that important that we have a ghostbusting career? Of all the ideas and feedback and polls (ok, I'll be fair, it was a poll option) Out of every single idea and feedback we have given you over the years, you choose more ghost stuff? What do you guys think? That's what's in the picture, which just takes you to the Sims YouTube page which as far as I can see has no video, so I'm just really perplexed about their thought process. Can anyone help me understand this, please?

During the last Community Voted SP the pack idea that almost won was Happy Haunt which centered around the paranormal like ghost hunting. This pack is literally a pack that based in the feedback from the community players want. It just like why we got Eco Living. Players wanted a Eco/green focused pack based on the votes from the first CVSP so they made one. This is no different.

Personally I am interested but wary mostly because ppl are saying it's a SP and I feel like it needs to be a GP in order to really be fleshed out.
  • Options
    PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    All good points, maybe it's the fact that it's ghosts when I hear a lot of people say that they don't use Vampires, but yet they want to bust ghosts? It's just confusing. Is it a GP or SP coming out or don't we know yet? As for Batuu, am I disappointed in it, yes. Am I personally glad we have it, yes. Now, I know people will say, "She enjoys Batuu but she doesn't like the idea of ghost hunting?!" That's not what I'm saying. The Gurus keep using the word "inclusion" but we don't have a pack that reflects that word and after all these years, we need one. I know we'll probably never get one because inclusion means somebody will be left out and EA is afraid to offend people, but I guess I should not have such high hopes, seen as how we can't even get bunk beds without mods, but c'mon wouldn't two power wheelchairs cruising down the boulevard in Del Sol Valley be awesome? (okay, probably not to the non-disabled but to me, a dream come true.)
  • Options
    MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    There's a fair number of us that want more supernatural content for our games. The Sims games have always included that kind of thing.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It is an SP, I am pretty sure. The YouTube teaser had #TheSims4StuffPack.

I am not 100% what you want in a pack decision here, but there are people that like supernatural stuff. It is a bigger portion than wanted Batuu (which you said you are happy we got), and that minority got a pack. There is nothing innately wrong with a minority getting specific pack content, but I would argue Batuu is the weakest pack to date because of all the restrictions on its content and does deserve a fair portion of its hate (just more on the execution and not the theme). (Probably put in place to encourage the neutral people to buy it that wouldn't want SW running wild in Willow Creek.)

If specifically you are talking about more inclusion content in the context of disabilities, it has been the Sims 4 stance for a while (and I feel a fairly moral one) that you should not have to pay for inclusion. Those should come in free updates. That was the conclusion when they were researching disabilities years ago. Now, I suspect it will be too difficult for them to add since they would have to update over $700 worth of DLC to make it work, but it was never off the table. Though I do know there have been some concerns from the playerbase about respectful representation, which is a fair concern in my opinion.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Yes, occult/paranormal packs and gameplay have always been a big part of The Sims, since the original. While it's not my cup of tea, I play realistically 98% of the time, I don't begrudge those that do play with occults. For me, it's not the theme that irks me so much, as the ridiculously small amount of content we get with this niched themes, that predominantly focuses exclusively on that theme. I would be less likely to roll my eyes at any "unwanted by me" themes if the packs were much fuller and also included content that could be used seamlessly by the "non-occult" players too.

But, unlike JtB, I'm positive this pack will have a few things I'll use, even if I never ever use the actual career or other occult aspects of it.

And, as far as adding disabilities, I feel like that is just opening up a super huge can of worms for EA and the devs. If they add wheelchairs, those people who have disabilities involving the upper limbs, or are deaf, or wear back braces, or have diseases/illnesses that are not visual will outrage. Plus, I'm honestly not sure that EA could ever do them in a tasteful way since technically The Sims is supposed to be a parody of life and they'd need to put some cutesy/funny spin on it to keep it from being too deep. They even changed the Insane trait to Erratic because people complained. Now if wheelchairs would have been added to GTW with the doctor's career and the hospital, that would have been better and more easily acceptable I think. But, also like someone else has stated, disabilities would morally have to be a base game free update because charging people for DLC just to be inclusive would result in a riot!
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Even those who don't play heavily with occults often appreciate the items and gameplay the packs bring. Occult packs tend to be the fanciest packs.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    does the idea of a paranormal pack scare you?👻👀
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited January 2021
    The last several stuff packs have been very focused on more mundane things about life - I mean we voted for a laundry pack and a knitting pack, which I personally love, but I do think a lot of players would prefer to have occult/supernatural stuff for their games, so it makes sense to add a pack more along those lines. I do think Knifty Knitting pleasantly surprised a lot of people, and I personally LOVE the build mode items from Laundry Day and Tiny Living, so hopefully this pack will pleasantly surprise us and add something valuable to our games, especially for those who don't want more just day to day stuff.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Because real life is terrifying, depressing, and disappointing and some people want to escape it once in a while. So yes, it's really that important that we have a ghostbusting career.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited January 2021
    Disappointed that it's only a SP. That means it'll probably be just the ghost hunter career, maybe a bit of a ghost revamp and one of two GP objects. Still could be fun but I don't know how detailed of a career it could be in a SP. Plus I really wanted to see a seance table, actual graveyards, fortune tellers, a new world plagued by ghost, build assets that included broke windows, doors, and torn/weathered furnishing.
    Post edited by VentusMatt on
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    😑ehh. A stuff pack at that. So tired of supernatural players being baited with things that are barely enough :(

That said a lot of people are probably excited so I hope they have fun (seriously, I do).

If there are enough paranormal things I can end up using for my gameplay I might consider getting it, but it really depends on if they actually improve ghost capabilities. Maybe too much to expect from a SP 😅 I haven't looked into at all just heard mention of it here so I really don't know much besides ghostbusting. I'm an occult player, but don't really use ghosts since they don't do much. I miss being able to have ghost kids lol
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I will probably throw 10 bucks at it for the build/buy and cas from the bit we see in the picture. Spooky day was far too American kid cartoony in that regard. A catch the cute spirits career doesn't really interest me much but at least it's some kind of occult career. Most of mine are villains at the moment.
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    😑ehh. A stuff pack at that. So tired of supernatural players being baited with things that are barely enough :(

That said a lot of people are probably excited so I hope they have fun (seriously, I do).

If there are enough paranormal things I can end up using for my gameplay I might consider getting it, but it really depends on if they actually improve ghost capabilities. Maybe too much to expect from a SP 😅 I haven't looked into at all just heard mention of it here so I really don't know much besides ghostbusting. I'm an occult player, but don't really use ghosts since they don't do much. I miss being able to have ghost kids lol

imo getting "baited with things that are barely enough" is better to me than something like laundry or knitting coming out

even if the content is small, at least there's SOMETHING that's actually FUN, instead of just chores pack #5
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited January 2021
    Deleted
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I was not really expecting this pack. I may actually get it, because it is up my alley. Being able to make a haunted house, or have a paranormal career will be super fun.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I think a paranormal pack will be fun, but personally I prefer focusing on how I already built my huge rotational save, and I don't really need more paranormal stuff in it. I have a tiny alien story, and I love the vampires, but skipped the magic/witch pack, although I loved TS1 Making Magic to bits (okay, mostly I adored the music, but I enjoyed the pack). Glad this might be a SP, and I stay tuned for news about the next EP or GP. Hoping the new pack will be outstanding and please everyone who wanted Happy Haunting.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't see the issue, stuff packs never touch on core themes or areas the game needs improvement in. This sounds a lot more fun and useful than most other stuff packs, and there's a lot more popularity for it than some of the other ridiculously unnecessary packs like "Cool Kitchen Stuff". Who wanted that? Nobody! (And quite literally this time)
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2021
    However as a whole I would say I'm very bored of stuff packs. They add barely anything worthwhile to the game and just feel like a quick cash grab most the time. There's so many useful packs and updates they could be putting in that would actually heavily enhance and improve the game and actually give people the experience they want but instead we just get the 73rd stuff pack.

Just with how stuff packs work they can never notably improve the game because so little gameplay goes into them and they're usually just furniture packs. I wish they'd just stop with stuff packs as a whole. This pack should've been a game pack. They could be making so much better use of development time by adding in depth content players want like full occult packs and generations but instead we just get 500 furniture packs.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    All I'm saying is Ghosts better be able to possess other humans or life states for long periods of time.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Last time I checked there's a significant portion of the community that legitimately enjoys occult play and would like to be given a crumb of supernatural content once in awhile.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited January 2021
    I'm all for inclusion in the sims, but...

Some of us -including me- would simply love a giant green Yamachan Marshmallow man to wreak havoc in the city so our ghost busting sims can destroy it with their proton packs. Will we get the option? Unlikely.

But I know for a fact that a simple paranormal or Ghostbusting career would be quite enjoyable for many of us. There's no question about it.