Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• Options
    Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited January 2021
    Happy New Year! Here's my entry: Winter Guardian
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    So someone brought up a point that I would like to open for discussion .. There was issue taken with winners and not winners .. what would everyone think of perhaps rebranding the top spots with "Top 3 Reader's Choice" instead of 1st 2nd and 3rd? I have no problem with competition but TBH that is not what the goal was originally (and for me not even now) it is to promote Simlit as the wonderful art for that it is and to grow our reader base by giving a small sample of "our wares" every month .. kind of like Costco sample ladies ;) I am trying to hold on to this as best I can but we really need a fire started here.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    It was also brought up that perhaps we might allow some other format (like YT) to be included .. I have no issue with that PROVIDING that the format stays written word and uses screenshots and not let's play footage
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    The table is open for discussion .. I am off to go create our vote blog
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    I like the idea of renaming the top spots as "Reader's Choice" instead of "winner" and that makes it feel less like a competition. I've always been of the opinion that no story is really better than another - it all comes down to luck and personal preference. I'm open to doing a story in a YouTube video format - I was thinking that might attract more people to the challenge, since people seem to prefer stories like that over a story on a blog (not me, but most of the Sims community). I can do it both on my blog and on my YouTube channel as well.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    Qnshr5 wrote: »
    Happy New Year! Here's my entry: Winter Guardian

I am Blown Away! Such a fab story.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    Onyeka001 wrote: »

Hello MSSSC Simmers and Friends!

Here's my entry for the Nov/Dec challenge: MSSSC: Feeding Strife

I adore personification .. you not only brought it home thru the written words but your rendition of "it" in the sims was so FAB!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Last minute-ish stuff with "Dear Dusty..."

It's definitely one of those "oh boy you're really going through something huh Trip" shorts and I'm really thankful to @lisabee2 for giving us a space to process it for 1,000 words and leave (or do other things too). Idk I was having a discussion with a friend earlier this year about short story writing and her thoughts boiled down to how hard it is to keep something contained in just one short. I think it's healthy to leave some things there. Maybe I just wanted to say I'll try to do this more, it's a good event.

What a poignant .. bringing home to rest the heartaches of 2020! Well done!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    So many wonderful entries this month <3
    I enjoyed reading every one of them!
    Working on the Jan 2021 Theme blog now.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge: November/December 2020 Submissions & Vote

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    NhimSimNhimSim Posts: 316 Member

Oh uuh - Plum!
    Was it something I said?

Reader's Choice feels and sounds better - since I think everyone could be classified as a Winner for participating.

My thoughts on competitions, in general, is that it's never the chance to win that gets me into trying. I don't care about competitions at all so there would have to be something else, something more to spark my curiosity. I'm not against someone getting credit for doing an awesome job - not at all - I know some (maybe even most) people feel a bigger urge to try if they know there's a chance to win.

If you go with Reader's Choice there's still something to win but everyone gets to be a winner - does that make sense?

The reason I have not participated before now is my insecurity, the struggle I feel when writing in English. Is it good enough? are my sentences too long? Was that even the right word? Is there a better word? Why does English have such odd rules with punctuation? The list goes on and on but hey... I've given it a try now and it wasn't so bad - I think... maybe?!

• Options
    Onyeka001 wrote: »

Oh uuh - Plum!
    Was it something I said?

Reader's Choice feels and sounds better - since I think everyone could be classified as a Winner for participating.

My thoughts on competitions, in general, is that it's never the chance to win that gets me into trying. I don't care about competitions at all so there would have to be something else, something more to spark my curiosity. I'm not against someone getting credit for doing an awesome job - not at all - I know some (maybe even most) people feel a bigger urge to try if they know there's a chance to win.

If you go with Reader's Choice there's still something to win but everyone gets to be a winner - does that make sense?

The reason I have not participated before now is my insecurity, the struggle I feel when writing in English. Is it good enough? are my sentences too long? Was that even the right word? Is there a better word? Why does English have such odd rules with punctuation? The list goes on and on but hey... I've given it a try now and it wasn't so bad - I think... maybe?!

OH LOL no .. it is all good. I truly believe that in this group of scribbles there are none who put much stock in the win .. most are sweet and humble .. I just want it to be lovely for all. To me all are winners .. and I do not say that in a trite manner!

As for English as a second language, we have a few who participate and TBH I have never noticed anything .. Honestly, I never would have known about your insecurities in this .. your English is better than mine LOL Some of the sweetest things I have read have been from younger less skilled writers or some who struggle with the language structure (I like their flow - sometimes it shakes things up a bit and I like that).

I feel that Simlit is more about expression and less about correct format and structure. I sometimes have to laugh at myself. None of what I do in the blog would fly in a writing class. I find that I use spacing or ellipses for rhythm and flow. Plus I feel lots of white space gives the eye rest and allows us to connect with that rhythm. NOW truthfully my theory could be all wet but none the less it is how I roll LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    NhimSimNhimSim Posts: 316 Member

lisabee2 wrote: »
    OH LOL no .. it is all good. I truly believe that in this group of scribbles there are none who put much stock in the win .. most are sweet and humble .. I just want it to be lovely for all. To me all are winners .. and I do not say that in a trite manner!

As for English as a second language, we have a few who participate and TBH I have never noticed anything .. Honestly, I never would have known about your insecurities in this .. your English is better than mine LOL Some of the sweetest things I have read have been from younger less skilled writers or some who struggle with the language structure (I like their flow - sometimes it shakes things up a bit and I like that).

I feel that Simlit is more about expression and less about correct format and structure. I sometimes have to laugh at myself. None of what I do in the blog would fly in a writing class. I find that I use spacing or ellipses for rhythm and flow. Plus I feel lots of white space gives the eye rest and allows us to connect with that rhythm. NOW truthfully my theory could be all wet but none the less it is how I roll LOL

For the reassurance and praise - Thank You!

• Options
    The new Jan 2021 theme ... hope you all like it <3

Monthy SimLit Short Story Challenge: January 2021 Theme
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    I can tell already this is going to be a CLOSE one!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    @lisabee2 - I like the idea of Reader's Choice over 'winner', because, I truly believe that all of the stories and the Simlit writers who write them are winners. It takes a lot of time and effort to put a Simlit story together, especially when there's a word count that has to be adhered to. If you want to open this up to YT, then go ahead. The more readers and participants, the better.

I found that, for myself, I don't have enough time in the day to work on both my Simlit on-going story, and to produce a Simlit story here. At the beginning, I had participated in the first three months, but spent all my hours writing the story, re-writing the story, editing the story again and taking screen shots. Now, since March, I've been working from home, but I am now working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, even more of a time crunch. At the end of my work day, after fixing dinner and trying to catch up on some Simlit stories or YouTube Let's Play, I barely have time to write a sentence. So, even though I would love to participate more often, and often have story ideas, I, unfortunately, just don't have the time to sit down and finish the writing.

I thoroughly enjoy coming here and reading the entries when I can. Keep up the good work everyone! I fully support Simlit!
  • Options
    I do like Reader's Choice too .. we can do top 3 reader's choice ..in this one the reader's choice is so close that I may not be able to do a top 3 .. all entries are within one vote .. but TBH this was an extraordinary month of very powerful stories! It appears that ee are def getting a god reader support.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    The Jan theme blog has been changed to reflect the new concept. I will have to muse on creating the new blog banners
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    The stories for November/December are all wonderful! It was a tough vote, but did vote! Congratulations to all who entered.
  • Options
    OHH I am rolling LOL .. I just checked in on the poll .. we have one ahead by only 4 votes and a #2 by 1 vote .. then a THREE WAY TIE for third .. fantastic job in the content .. would be awesome to get some more votes so please give it a kick up (Twitter, Tumblr, FB, forum) .. I will do that too. With this quality of story we should be able to draw some scribblers in .. I hope!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    I think Reader's Choice is a great idea. For me it's more about a reason to write every month than winning. YT sounds fun. Would YT be a separate category or mixed in with the blogs? I hope the changes bring in more participants (both writers and readers/audience). This is a good place to give writers the encouragement and courage to put themselves out there and create while giving readers more content.
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,378 Member
    I have little doubt that YT is a good idea 🤔
    I think YouTubers are already getting a lot of attention. It is e.g. not possible to participate in SPARK'D challenges with SimLit.
    I love the SimLit genre because I have the ability to translate the pieces of text along the way that I have a hard time understanding.
    Do not get me wrong, because I also love Machinimas, but I wish SimLit got its own place. There are a lot of amazing writers to choose from.

Regarding Reader's Choice, it sounds just fine.
  • Options
    I think Reader's Choice is a great idea. For me it's more about a reason to write every month than winning. YT sounds fun. Would YT be a separate category or mixed in with the blogs? I hope the changes bring in more participants (both writers and readers/audience). This is a good place to give writers the encouragement and courage to put themselves out there and create while giving readers more content.

The format would stay strictly the same .. number of screenshots and word count the same .. it would be done in subtitles and if there was a desire one could narrate theirs along with the subtitles but no LPs type vids ... the vehicle of presentation would be the only thing different .. sort of like who is doing the scrolling you or YT LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    lisabee2 wrote: »

The format would stay strictly the same .. number of screenshots and word count the same .. it would be done in subtitles and if there was a desire one could narrate theirs along with the subtitles but no LPs type vids ... the vehicle of presentation would be the only thing different .. sort of like who is doing the scrolling you or YT LOL

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. :smile:
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Options
    Last day .. the turn out has been good for this one .. the vote is extremely tight .. everyone seems to be loving the stories <3Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge Nov/Dec
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    So we have rebranded our "winners" I put the new banner in the Top 3 readers choice update .. I will let you know that this was an amazing month with votes .. The top choice got only 7 more votes than the one with the least chosen .. the second and 3rd ties AND they were only 2 (TWO) votes from the least chosen. You all need to be so very happy for the wonderful representation of what Simlit can be. I got so many good words about your offerings! TY for breathing new life into the challenge and into my heart for it .. I adore you ladies!!

BTW if you hate our new banner let me know <3 I like bright colors .. so it is a tad bright LOL I can make it darker

Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge: November/December 2020

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger